The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October

+52
nganboy
Steve_rugby
wrfc1980
ChequeredJersey
Seagultaf
Poorfour
wolfball
majesticimperialman
Shifty
doctor_grey
Hood83
Engine#4
R!skysports
aucklandlaurie
whocares
Rory_Gallagher
Heaf
Scottrf
lostinwales
JDizzle
Duty281
monty junior
nathan
Geordie
RDW
kiakahaaotearoa
kingraf
Fanster
Rugby Fan
glamorganalun
hugehandoff
mikey_dragon
disneychilly
Notch
boomeranga
Cyril
eirebilly
blackcanelion
SecretFly
emack2
LondonTiger
SneakySideStep
yappysnap
alfie
RubyGuby
Pal Joey
BamBam
chewed_mintie
goneagain
rodders
bedfordwelsh
George Carlin
56 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Empty RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October

Post by George Carlin Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:59 am

RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Nz_pro13          RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Wallab10
NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA

31 October 2015
16:00 BST (UTC+01)
Twickenham, London

Live on ITV1

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Jérôme Garcès (France), Wayne Barnes (England)
TMO: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

A. Head to Head

154 Played 154
105 Won 42
7 Drawn 7
42 Lost 105
3,126 Points 2,413

B. Recent Form

15 August 2015
Eden Park, Auckland
41 – 13 to New Zealand

8 August 2015
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
27 – 19 to Australia

18 October 2014
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
28 – 29 to New Zealand

23 August 2014
Eden Park, Auckland
51 – 20 to New Zealand

16 August 2014
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
12 – 12 draw

19 October 2013
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
41 – 33 to New Zealand

24 August 2013
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
27 – 16 to New Zealand

17 August 2013
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
29 – 47 to New Zealand

20 October 2012
18 – 18 draw

25 August 2012
Eden Park, Auckland
22 – 0 to New Zealand

18 August 2012
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
19 – 27 to New Zealand

16 October 2011
Eden Park, Auckland
20 – 6 to New Zealand

27 August 2011
25 – 20 to Australia

6 August 2011
Eden Park, Auckland
30 – 14 to New Zealand

30 October 2010
Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong
26 – 24 to Australia

C. TEAMS:

NEW ZEALAND
RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Richie10
Ben Smith, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Joe Moody

Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Charlie Faumuina, Victor Vito, Sam Cane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Sonny Bill Williams

AUSTRALIA
RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Stephe10
Israel Folau; Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell; Bernard Foley, Will Genia; Scott Sio, Stephen Moore (captain), Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Rob Simmons, Scott Fardy, Michael Hooper, David Pocock.

Replacements: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Dean Mumm, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Empty Re: RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:53 am

The one thing that has impressed me and was outstanding yesterday was the Australian defence and it will have to be able to do that for full 80 minutes in the final.

The backrow battle will be huge as I think Pocock and Hooper have again been outstanding as have the whole Blacks back row.

Should be a cracker but I reckon the ABs will edge it by around a score.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October Empty Re: RWC Final: NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA, 31 October

Post by rodders Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:27 am

Hmm hard one to pick.

Australia have been the more impressive side and Pocock is a force of nature. Have fancied the Wallabies from the start as the team to look out for.

NZ look like they have been keeping their powder dry and just going through the gears when they need to.

Australia have had an incredibly tough run of games, although they looked fresh enough against the Pumas.

Going to go for the Wallabies here - I think they will dominate the breakdown and NZ will struggle with their defensive line speed  - if they can reproduce the form they showed against the Pumas...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 am

I think it will be a game too far for the Wallabies. If they do win I think it will be the hardest won of all world cups. They have had 4 tough, close matches in 4 weeks (both England and Argentina were within 7 with less than 10 min to go). I might be wrong, but will they have beaten 6 of the top ten ranked teams to win the thing?
They started well, but looked exhusted and were cut open by Argentina a few times in the last quarter. Pocock had another huge game, but was he 100% fit, he looked shattered after the game.
Not sure Folau has been fully fit all tournament.

ABs have looked good since half time against Tonga. All facets of their game look to be working. Got through 2 very different knockout games. Have only conceded 1 try in the knockout stages, don't look to have any injury worries to key men.
Last world cup they played the best game of the tournament and peaked in the semi against Australia and were perhaps a bit flat as well as nervous in the final.
This time I think they are still building and as I said elsewhere are a different animal to previous AB teams.
Australia have been on the redline for weeks now, if they can exert concerted pressure they have a chance, just think their schedule will catch up with them.

ABs by 10+

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 am

Clearly there is little interest in this game Very Happy

I think either team will deserve the win if they get it. In NZ's case it will cap off a truly remarkable run since becoming No 1 again at the back end of 2009. If Australia win, it's a great turnaround from the mess they were in only 12 months ago.

However, Australia looked tired against Argentina who made so many line breaks but really lacked the killer, clinical finishing that the AB's have in spades. I expect it to be close for 50 mins, then we will pull out to a comfortable victory by 12+

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Can't wait for this.

I'm expecting an NZ victory, but would not be surprised if the Aussies sprung a shock

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:23 am

You should of heard what I just heard Alan Jones say on Richo + Jones. He makes it sound like a logical possibility.
Although I'm not a big fan of AJ, I did find his little speech convincing. It's probably just the usual huff & puff before the big pop though.

The way I'm looking at it, it's either:

- a NZ blow out victory... 20-30 points, à la Eden Park.
- a narrow NZ win... 23-18 or something
- a narrow Australia win... 26-24 or something
- a shock Oz win by a decent score.

I'm still favouring the first two possibilities although 3 or 4 would be a pleasant surprise.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:29 am

A battle of the best 2 teams in the world - Deep down I think the Aussies know NZ are a better team as they showed when they thumped them recently - I think this will play a part in the outcome and we will not see the usual Aussie swagger. Not much in it perhaps but for me its a NZ win with a little bit to spare.

New Zealand 37 Australia 22

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 am

I'm not sure I've seen much of this "swagger". Funny, it's a word you'll never hear us use to describe ourselves or our players. No, I think they have a very serious and determined gait about themselves these days. No room for any 'big heads'... NZ are the same.

So it will come down to who can produce the goods on the day. As you say, Ruby, NZ just seem to have more of the exceptional stuff on tap, whereas Australia will have to find something extra... find another 2 gears as has been said.

It's a very difficult challenge but I think we are approaching it the right way as best as we can. Credit to the group for coming this far and working hard towards the main goal in a thoroughly professional manner and under such pressure. Same goes for NZ too of course!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:49 am

Nice to see the two best teams in the final....a worthy winner either way.
I reckon Australia might have just about used up much of their petrol (and their ration of luck , perhaps) in getting through a very tough draw ; while NZ seem to have eased through with really only the SA game a true test.
That game might be important though in topping them off for the final. Because you can be sure Australia will not lie down.

The Australian defence has been magnificent , and they have some outstanding players who might conceivably pull off an upset . If they do , it will be an amazing achievement given where they were a year ago.
But I expect NZ to prevail. Just think their best is better than anyone else's ; and they are too professional to give any less in this crucial match.
Should be a cracker of a final !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 am

The term "swagger" is not derogatory and has as much to do with confidence and style of play as much as anything. They have always had the best backs in world rugby for me and when they are allowed to use them they are lethal. Chieka has added a steely backbone to this.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 am

goneagain wrote:I think it will be a game too far for the Wallabies. If they do win I think it will be the hardest won of all world cups. They have had 4 tough, close matches in 4 weeks (both England and Argentina were within 7 with less than 10 min to go). I might be wrong, but will they have beaten 6 of the top ten ranked teams to win the thing?
They started well, but looked exhusted and were cut open by Argentina a few times in the last quarter. Pocock had another huge game, but was he 100% fit, he looked shattered after the game.
Not sure Folau has been fully fit all tournament.

ABs have looked good since half time against Tonga. All facets of their game look to be working. Got through 2 very different knockout games. Have only conceded 1 try in the knockout stages, don't look to have any injury worries to key men.
Last world cup they played the best game of the tournament and peaked in the semi against Australia and were perhaps a bit flat as well as nervous in the final.
This time I think they are still building and as I said elsewhere are a different animal to previous AB teams.
Australia have been on the redline for weeks now, if they can exert concerted pressure they have a chance, just think their schedule will catch up with them.

ABs by 10+

I thighs this too (although you've said it far better).

Then I noticed NZ had moved to Pennyhill Park, the fools! England use it and lose, then SA move in and then they lose! NZ have dug their own graves with their accommodation choice, Oz for the win, by 20. Pennyhill Park claims another scalp.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:55 am

RubyGuby wrote:The term "swagger" is not derogatory and has as much to do with confidence and style of play as much as anything. They have always had the best backs in world rugby for me and when they are allowed to use them they are lethal. Chieka has added a steely backbone to this.

thumbsup

Agreed. They've looked far more confident and comfortable then they have for a while, both those teams in the final are allowed to swagger a bit.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 am

Yeah, I know Ruby. Not being dismissive of what you are saying either. thumbsup

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:17 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:Yeah, I know Ruby. Not being dismissive of what you are saying either. thumbsup

As if anyone would ever do that Dog!!! - Good luck it should be a cracker

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SneakySideStep Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:43 pm

The two best teams in the world and the two best teams in this tournament. It should be interesting.

NZ haven't been up to their highest standards, but haven't needed to be. They made (relatively speaking) lots of unforced errors in the group  games, put in a cracker to dismiss the French, and then won ugly against SA.

Australia were the best team to emerge from the group phase, and from the toughest group. They've then struggled in both QF and SF to put away opposition to whom they were clearly superior.

My head says NZ will triumph - if they play at the level to which they're capable then I'm not sure any team can live with them.  However, if Aus build a lead and NZ start giving away too many penalties, then who knows.

SneakySideStep

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm

I want New Zealand to win, and they should. Australia need to get on the scoreboard first and try and pressure NZ into mistakes. If NZ can build any sort of a lead in the first 20 i can see them pulling away and winning at a canter.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:06 pm

The best two sides are there true it won`t be a try fest it will be a dog fight.
The main factors will be the weather and injuries plus what the Ref allows .
Scrum/breakdown is a key area what matters will be how Owens legislates them.
Aus will probably have an edge Scrum time especialy if allowed to go early as
Barnes let them all match.
Will try to milk penalties NZ go for quick heel,Lineout NZ have the edge,Breakdown?
Hooper/Pocock/Fardy are no better than Vermulen,Burger,Louw.
Nz coped in appalling conditions with them despite Garces.
Injured Players shouldn't start no matter who they are this will be no place for
weaklings.
If Aus can build a lead and pressure them NZ will crack?in your dreams behind
at last 10 by 15?expect a black wave till death knock.
They were out on there feet versus Argentina,after being given 20 odd points
start.AB`s didn't even clear there bench and SA were blowing too.
NZ want to win you can bet the motivation will be 2003 semi,2011/15 RC
Carter wanting to finish an RWC on his feet,they`ll have fire in there bellies
they may not win but they`ll give it a lash.
Aus are facing the side with the best offence/defence in the RWC they may
well win,but they really will have to earn it . Yahoo

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:11 pm

I am just waiting for McCaw to captain his side to 2 World Cup wins only to read in the press the next day that some random, tufted old fart commentator still can somehow find a way to claim that Michael Jones was better.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:18 pm

George Carlin wrote:I am just waiting for McCaw to captain his side to 2 World Cup wins only to read in the press the next day that some random, tufted old fart commentator still can somehow find a way to claim that Michael Jones was better.

I think most, if not all, pundits now accept that McCaw is the greatest player of all time Very Happy

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Truly may the best side win. I don't really care which as either will be worthy Champion - ABs doing a bit of a cruise mostly with one brawl against SA, Australia having to brawl their way through most of it and impressive that they're pretty much all still standing now at the end, ready to go one more time into the ring.

Which side has enough left in the tank? I suppose New Zealand looks the fresher but that dog in Australia should test it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks George for setting up all these game threads throughout the RWC clap

The ABs have reached the final and I get the impression it has lifted a massive weight off their shoulders. They've never made an NH RWC final before and all previous failures has resulted in painful aftermaths back home. They can play this game knowing they have succeeded in doing something no AB team before them have achieved. I hope this means they'll play what's in front of them rather than implementing a conservative game plan like they did against SA. I think they will play with freedom.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Had the weather conditions been as they were on Sunday I`m sure NZvSA could well
have been a running game.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I doubt it. The ABs went in there with a conservative kicking game plan to combat one of the more successful knock-out specialists around that 'always' play that way in these games irrespective of weather. The ABs played conservative and smart and it's something we've learnt over several RWC failures.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:34 am

If it goes according to the last 4 years the team that scores the most tries will win. Aussie scored more tries this year and one. They scored an equal amount of tries and drew twice and AB's have scored more in the others.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:08 am

I have to lean towards the Aussies here, if they get their scrum sorted I cant see them loosing too many points as their defence is out standing. The AB's have the more complete attack but SA showed how to stifle that. Pocock and Hooper are out standing but if you run at them and force them to tackle, you nullify their counter rucking abilities.

Very close match to call and a worthy RWC final, I say Aus by 5.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:48 am

Don`t you think the weather may have had something to do with that too?NZ defence
was second only to Wales in tries conceded and know AUS backwards and vice versa.
People talk about Pocock as if he`s something new, in 2011 McCaw outplayed him on
one leg.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:03 am

Yes, predicting Kaino to smash the living daylights out of Pocock. And when he needs a rest. Read will smash the living daylights out of Pocock, etc etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:00 am

emack2 wrote:Had the weather conditions been as they were on Sunday I`m sure NZvSA could well
have been a running game.

Fore cast not looking good - guessing that will favor the ABs?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 am

I can't really see anything other than a win for Nige Zealand.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:00 am

emack2 wrote:Don`t you think the weather may have had something to do with that too?NZ defence
was second only to Wales in tries conceded and know AUS backwards and vice versa.
People talk about Pocock as if he`s something new, in 2011 McCaw outplayed him on
one leg.

He didn't really. The whole team had a focus on him and they set their game plan accordingly such that they ran at him to force him to be the tackler rather then the first man in. Actual kiwis talk about this.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:13 pm

ebop wrote:Yes, predicting Kaino to smash the living daylights out of Pocock. And when he needs a rest. Read will smash the living daylights out of Pocock, etc etc.

Pocock will even take one of the turns himself...

...but purple faced, bloodied and bruised, Pocock will be hoist the cup!

Okay, that last bit was not meant to be published yet but Nigel is a friend of mine and said he was planning something different this time..... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 pm

SecretFly wrote:
ebop wrote:Yes, predicting Kaino to smash the living daylights out of Pocock. And when he needs a rest. Read will smash the living daylights out of Pocock, etc etc.

Pocock will even take one of the turns himself...  

...but purple faced, bloodied and bruised, Pocock will be hoist the cup!

Okay, that last bit was not meant to be published yet but Nigel is a friend of mine and said he was planning something different this time..... Whistle
Really? I'd heard that Nige had asked if he could lead the Haka. Just so he would feel more part of the side before the game started.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:20 pm

A feint of his to give the ABs a false sense of security, Cyril.

Trust me, I know Nigel. He really likes Pocock. The only way the ABs are going to win this is if Pocock either goes off injured or if some dumb ref gives him a yellow.........................

If he's on the field, Nigel will be willing him to victory.... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm really quite torn here- as a team, I'd rather see Australia win this one but... I really think Dan Carter might be the best ever 10 and it would be really disappointing to see him go out without a winners medal.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:49 pm

I wouldn't care about Carter too much - can appear a tad haughty and dismissive of the opposition - and I'll always remember a little impression Sexton gave of him when they met once and Sexton was just starting out.  

It's McCaw I'd like to see get his big send off.  He's a true warrior and I love true Rugby warriors that have done the hard hard work over the years, and he always looks like he's put in an honest (ok some dark arts Whistle ) shift, with a fair degree of humility and self-criticism along the way.

I'd love Australia to do it for their wild boys.  Hooper and Pocock and a dash of Ashley Cooper.  Fearless, intense players.... always tuned in and ready for war.

So I'll be a touch sad and a touch happy whoever wins.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Cyril wrote:I can't really see anything other than a win for Nige Zealand.

Joubarnstralia has had an exceptionally good run to get this far but they are looking a bit tired and beaten up. Especially Pocock, who must be a really good cheat for looking like a panda. I mean cheat in the good way. As in doing a great job and getting away with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Nothing we have seen before makes any difference Aus beating NZ 2015 was thoroughly
deserved.The tactics then are expected to be repeated BUT the analysts on both sides
will be working overtime to negate it.
Aus won`t have there rabbits foot Wayne Barnes Reffing he`s running the line.
A sensible tactic for NZ would be kicking attack to touch trying to pin Aus in there
half.With 5 genuine options they gave the Bok machine trouble there trust the edge
they have.
Then attack from there antediluvian maybe but very effective.
Heart says AB win,Head Aus you could well have the case for first time ever NZ
win a RWC.Then suffer a series of defeats post RWC as the Veterans leave to
pastures new.
They have many good players coming thru, but we are seeing the departure of
some really great players.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:54 am

emack2 wrote:Nothing we have seen before makes any difference Aus beating NZ 2015 was thoroughly
deserved.The tactics then are expected to be repeated BUT the analysts on both sides
will be working overtime to negate it.
Aus won`t have there rabbits foot Wayne Barnes Reffing he`s running the line.
A sensible tactic for NZ would be kicking attack to touch trying to pin Aus in there
half.With 5 genuine options they gave the Bok machine trouble there trust the edge
they have.
Then attack from there antediluvian maybe but very effective.
Heart says AB win,Head Aus you could well have the case for first time ever NZ
win a RWC.Then suffer a series of defeats post RWC as the Veterans leave to
pastures new.
They have many good players coming thru, but we are seeing the departure of
some really great players.

Head says AB win, heart for an Aus win.

Difficult situation... heart also wants NZ to win for my Mum. (I think she is lulling me into a false sense of security)
The best I could offer her if NZ lose is at least you have the best of both worlds... "a win as well" if Oz win. She didn't buy it!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:14 am

SecretFly wrote:
It's McCaw I'd like to see get his big send off.  He's a true warrior and I love true Rugby warriors that have done the hard hard work over the years, and he always looks like he's put in an honest (ok some dark arts Whistle ) shift, with a fair degree of humility and self-criticism along the way.

I think the real sub plot here is the battle between probably the greatest player of all time, certainly the pro era, McCaw, versus, for my mind, far and away the current best player in the world and by miles best player of the tournament in Pocock.

I think the game is better for having a strong Australia team and Cheika is a fantastic coach but if anyone deserves to go out in a high its McCaw...well actually it's Paul O'Connell but Ritchie will do I suppose... Smile

Both teams would be fitting winners and this isn't just a game to decide who is 2015 world champions but also who is currently the best side in the world.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:21 am

I am not sure that the All Blacks will be able to cope with the loss of Stephen 'where's my farking whitebait?' Donald.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 am

OP updated. Moody in, Crockett out.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:25 am

Bit of a random question, but seems as good a place as any, hopefully some of the NZ fans can answer this

Why does Dane Coles end up as the last man on the wing so often? Its not a criticism, as he always seems to make an impact from there, but just seems odd to have your hooker there.

Given its frequency, I can't think its just happening by chance as it does for other sides, and must be part of the AB gameplan, just intrigued as to why

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:34 am

It's the way they set up BamBam. He's got ball skills the equal of most backs to be honest and additional pace for a tight forward, it just adds an extra dimension to our wide play. Remember, he also does the tight stuff extremely well so he's not all show and bluster.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 am

... its a desire to influence the sub-conscious expectations of the enemy Wink

"Their hooker is on the wing?  Jesus, their serious play is going to come through the centre.  Leave that hooker there, he'll never make it to the line in time even if we have to rush out to him again"

Even though the players know that's not true over and over again... their subconscious will always relax more than if a Wing player is out there.......................... and then it's BANG!  Try. Wink

That's my theory anyway Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Coles is fantastic over the ball. As is Read, and they both have the ball skills and spacial awareness of centres with their natural bulk so that enables New Zealand to attack with either pace or power. They set up their main fetchers in those areas to be able to potentially turn over ball from anywhere. McCaw roams and is usually a spoiler as opposed to a fetcher these days-Conrad Smith is another with great turnover skills.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi Kiwi's - there's some information I need for an article I may post. So just as a little side note to this, could any of you inform me of the All Blacks leaving NZ/retiring after the World Cup? I know the obvious ones like McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith - but there's probably like 10 others I've missed. And also, good luck in the final. Good luck especially to the calf and Achilles tendon of DC.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:57 pm

This squad,McCaw,Mealamu,Woodcock,Carter,Nonu,Conrad Smith,Ben Franks,Colin Slade.
To the Olympics 7`s Squad Sonny Bill Williams and I believe Leon Massam.
Wider training Group Charlie Piatau,Tom Taylor and Jeremy Thrush of these in theory.
Slade,Piatau,and Taylor are young enough to be able to return for RWC 2019.
Nz squad announced unchanged from SF side,incidentally ALL NZ Hookers have been used as
a 4 th loose forward.
Props have always been very mobile to often playing at number 8[Des Christian,Wilson
Whineray,Ian Clarke etc.]

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:11 pm

for me NZ have greater depth and impact off the bench whilst the Aussies are keeping fingers crossed that Sio, Folau, Giteau and others with niggles can all play at 100%. Because it is the final everyone will say they can play, but if they are not operating flat out then their team will suffer for it. I fear the Aussies will suffer in this regard but hope I am wrong. Good luck to both teams and may the players all rise to the occasion.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:18 pm

The two best attacking sides in the final either side can win which is good for the competition, should be a good final.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next