The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel?

+4
Fernando
Irishgreen
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
8 posters

Go down

Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel? Empty Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel?

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

The owners of the Bahrain circuit are saying they now feel ready to host the race. Ideally they're hoping it will be slotted in before the Abu Dhabi GP, though Bernie Ecclestone is believed to be considering the following week.

So, it looks like being either the penultimate or final race of the season.

Bahrain Organisers Ready to Host Race

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that, if this goes ahead, the FIA, FOM and everyone associated with Formula 1 will effectively be sanctioning a race in a country whose government had no hesitation in ordering its security forces to open fire on protestors with live ammunition, killing a number of them. They even received military assistance from Saudi Arabia to make sure the protestors were thoroughly "pacified".

4 protesters have been sentenced to death for their part in the death of 2 police officers. Ordinarily, if it had happened somewhere like the UK, I'd be all for it, but you have to wonder if they were just defending themselves from cops firing live ammo at them. If the killings were unprovoked, or extreme over-reaction, then fair enough...but my guess, from the news coverage we saw, is they were probably just trying to save themselves.

If the race does go ahead - I won't be watching, thats for sure and my already-low estimation of those that hold the reins of power will sink even lower. As far as I'm concerned F1 should have no business associating itself with countries that brutally suppress any opposition their governments. If Tiananmen Square had happened more recently, I'd probably feel the same way about China. I still feel its wrong to hold races there and they still keep their people on a tight leash, but at least they haven't committed any outright atrocities lately.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel? Empty Re: Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel?

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

Was browsing through the BBC's F1 gossip column and found this:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/bahrain-2/

It seems the teams have agreed not to race in Bahrain this year...ostensibly because of the dates being offered, but apparently they were still uneasy about going there after what happened a few months ago.

In all likelihood the Bahrain GP will be back on the calendar next year, though it seems there are concerns that the troubles witnessed this year could boil over again, unless there are some changes to the way the country is run.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel? Empty Re: Bahrain GP to be Rescheduled - How Do You Feel?

Post by dummy_half Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

We have some clients in Bahrain, who were sayig that the extent of the protests was a lot less than appeared to be the case from the internationa news reports, and away from a couple of places inthe centre of Manama* there was business as usual.

* To lighten the note, why do I always imagine Kermit and Miss Piggy singing when I see the name of the Bahrain capital city?

Manamana de der di di du
Manamana di didi du...

Very Happy

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

Not being funny, but they are likely to play down the trouble, in an effort to get business relations back to normal ASAP.

The fact 4 people are going to be executed for killing 2 police officers would suggest it was as bad as the news reports made out, in some places at least.

Anyway, my main objection is with F1 having anything to do with a country with that kind of regime.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishgreen Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:09 pm

It shouldn't be run:FULL STOP

Irishgreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

From twitter, breaking news:

5LiveF1
Chairman of the circuit officially confirms Bahrain GP will take place this year. No date in statement though

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 03 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

it will take the place of the indian gp and the indian gp will be the last race( id presume) of season some time in December

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

It will be held on October 30th with Indian GP expected to be moved to December 11th. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13608826.stm

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishgreen Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:50 pm

This race should not take place.FACT

If it does,I for one won't watch it.

How can you murder your people and give a F1 smile to the world?

Irishgreen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sat 04 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

Bahrain has an undemocratic and opressive regime, but it also had the same one last year and not a word was said against it.

The FIA have dug themselves a hole. If the region becomes 'stable' (i.e. all those pesky protestors stop asking for equality and other embarassing nonsense) then the FIA have no choice but to let Bahrain return to the F1 calendar, either this year or the next. An international sporting organisation cannot be seen as having political preferences.

Cos if they do, they might lose China. And we wouldn't want that.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:30 pm

To be fair greybeard, we knew the regime was oppressive and undemocratic, but as far as anyone knew, they didn't kill unarmed citizens for peacefully protesting.

Probably because nobody had ever protested before...

However, now they've shown the full extent of their brutality, I'd be very happy if no further GPs were held there.

I don't think China would care one way or the other if Bahrain was taken off the calendar. They look after No.1 and don't really care about what goes on in other countries.

I'm not happy that there is a Chinese GP either, but at least they've not committed any major atrocities lately.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by exiledscotinwhales Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:58 pm

Well, nothing to see here about Todt's sons' interest is there ? FI(F)A anyone ??

Read to the final few paragraphs >>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/06/bahrain-grand-prix-fia-jean-todt

exiledscotinwhales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:19 pm

Reasons for holding the GP:
Money for Bernie

Reasons against
-Supporting the regime following the recent protests
-Risk of further portests while the GP is on
-(less important than the 1st 2) Stuffing around the Indian GP organisers and fans with travel booked to that race.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down