The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place

3 posters

Go down

Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place Empty Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place

Post by AS1960 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:23 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13656315.stm

thoughts?

AS1960

Back to top Go down

Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place Empty Re: Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place

Post by Theo_55 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

Webber is not being forced to go to Bahrain, if he choses not to go, there are other drivers lined up and willing to showcase their talents in an F1 car, Ricardo the young Australian would probably get his chance to replace Webber.

These people raced in China, Their human rights record against the people of Tibet makes the Bahrain events looks like a tea party.

Check out the videos of China's record on youtube.

Theo_55

Back to top Go down

Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place Empty Re: Webber, Bahrain GP unlikely to take place

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

Seems to be more like Webber's personal opinions and feelings. I fully support his stance and feel the FIA and other parties have made a very bad decision.

But of course, the reality is that money is God and is more important than all else...even people's human rights. Its disgusting and I have to say I'm more than a little disenchanted with the sport for taking the decision to go to Bahrain.

I suppose there is still the chance of a late U-turn, but I won't hold my breath. I just desperately hope is that there is another protest which causes the race to be cancelled. Some things are more important than sport.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

Theo_55 wrote:Webber is not being forced to go to Bahrain, if he choses not to go, there are other drivers lined up and willing to showcase their talents in an F1 car, Ricardo the young Australian would probably get his chance to replace Webber.

These people raced in China, Their human rights record against the people of Tibet makes the Bahrain events looks like a tea party.

Check out the videos of China's record on youtube.

I also wish there weren't a Chinese GP - but what can you do? Sadly, money rules all...especially with someone like Bernie Ecclestone in charge of the marketing side of the sport. Like the Chinese and Bahraini governments, he doesn't care about anyone but himself.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by AS1960 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:14 pm

We're mixing sports and politics here. China may have a poor human rights record but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the F1 calender. Because by the same token, there will be some who'll accuse Tony Blair's Britain George Bush's U.S. of gross human rights violations in Iraq and Guantanamo bay for example, and hence, would you say there shouldn't be a Grand Prix in either country on that basis. It's better to leave the two separate

AS1960

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_55 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

AS1960 wrote:We're mixing sports and politics here. China may have a poor human rights record but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the F1 calender. Because by the same token, there will be some who'll accuse Tony Blair's Britain George Bush's U.S. of gross human rights violations in Iraq and Guantanamo bay for example, and hence, would you say there shouldn't be a Grand Prix in either country on that basis. It's better to leave the two separate

Please view the video link posted below, timeline 03:00 - 04:50 and then reconcile that with your words " China may have a poor human rights record but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the F1 calender"

The F1 circus has raced in China without battering an eyelid, the nation of Tibet is at risk of being wiped out but people like Max Mosley and Mark Webber has only recently acquired a conscience.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qlj4_tibet-human-rights-problems_shortfilms

Theo_55

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_55 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

AS1960 wrote:We're mixing sports and politics here. China may have a poor human rights record but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the F1 calender. Because by the same token, there will be some who'll accuse Tony Blair's Britain George Bush's U.S. of gross human rights violations in Iraq and Guantanamo bay for example, and hence, would you say there shouldn't be a Grand Prix in either country on that basis. It's better to leave the two separate

I should have said in the previous post that I believe sport and politics should not mix!

Theo_55

Back to top Go down

Post by AS1960 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

Theo_55

Whatever the human rights record of China, the issue with Bahrain is very different- the country is in the midst of major political turmoil like the rest of the middle-east, and any major sporting event puts the lives of all participants at risk. What China's relationship with Tibet is does not in any way endanger either Webber or Max Mosley's lives

AS1960

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_55 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

What ever you say or any which way you wish to gloss over hum rights absuses, my point is that quite a few F1 host countries do not have a glowing record on human rights, the hysteria at the moment with Bahrain is not just over the top, it's a band waggon effect that has been hyped hystericly out of proportion.

I rest my case!

Theo_55

Back to top Go down

Post by AS1960 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 2:19 pm

I do agree with what you say above, so no hard feelings OK

AS1960

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

Theo_55 wrote:What ever you say or any which way you wish to gloss over hum rights absuses, my point is that quite a few F1 host countries do not have a glowing record on human rights, the hysteria at the moment with Bahrain is not just over the top, it's a band waggon effect that has been hyped hystericly out of proportion.

I rest my case!

Its not "hysterical hype" at all.

The Bahraini government is guilty of atrocious behaviour towards it citizens and as others have pointed out, the potential for further unrest does present a real security risk to F1's travelling circus.

The activities of the Chinese government, however unsavoury, do not pose a direct security concern. However, given their lengthy history of human rights abuse, I would rather there weren't a race there.

If anyone's guilty of hysterical hype its you.

If you look back far enough, very few countries in the world can claim to have spotless records. As you pointed out, that goes for the UK and US as well. The difference in our cases, (with Guantanamo Bay and other less than noble activities) is that we were reacting in response to a terrorist threat which has claimed innocent lives in both countries. When your enemy chooses to hide among the innocent, its sadly inevitable that people will be wrongly convicted, harmed, or worse.

Don't even try to compare defence against terrorism, to what the Bahraini government did (or actions the Chinese government has taken).
🤦
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by AS1960 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:39 am

dyrewolfe : I think you're mixing quite a few points here. The simple question is whether Bahrain is safe for the Grand Prix to go ahead. If the security situation permits, then it should.

AS1960

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down