The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

+15
milkyboy
AZZJ44
Hammersmith harrier
spencerclarke
Dipper Brown
Hands Of Stone
Pound-for-Pound
BoxingFan88
owen10ozzy
Qoxiivi
Rowley
AdamT
hazharrison
Lance
mobilemaster8
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT* Empty GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 3:33 am

Morning gents.

Anyone watching this?

O'Kane looked poor......that Ortiz fella looks like he has some skills. Cracking KO.

Now for the P4P ranked Gonzalez. Should be good only seen him a couple times.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT* Empty Re: GGG VS Lemiuex *SPOILER ALERT*

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 4:11 am

Good performance from Gonzalez although took him 2 rounds to get into it! Good stoppage from the ref as well no complaints.

Time for the big one.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 4:43 am

Never seen GGG fight like this. Boxing brilliantly. Actually boxing using a snappy jab good movement and taking his time.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 5:07 am

Well that was simply brutal. He just jabbed his face into pieces. What a jab. Cotto would get absolutely battered if he fought GGG. Canelo would be more competitive. Nobody beats this guy at 160

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 18 Oct 2015, 5:58 am

Excellent performance. Canelo is a different league to Lemieux though.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:15 am

Refreshing to have the likes of Golovkin, Gonzalez and Kovalev at the top of the sport. Straight up wrecking machines all three.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:46 am

Golovkin boxed a great fight. He is fantastic. Credit to him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:12 am

You all know the rules re streams of fights, don't want to have to ban people to remind them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:15 am

That was a dissection. He really does seem to be a very comprehensive package. Stops Cotto in three and Alvarez late on IMO.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 1:12 pm

Yeh cotto would be brutally put away by him. Alvarez would be more of a match up.

Proved a lot of people wrong last night with everyone saying he is a brawler slugger and gets hit....he now appears to have brilliant footwork and piston jab that does some damage along with combinations.

He is really really good.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 18 Oct 2015, 1:24 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh cotto would be brutally put away by him. Alvarez would be more of a match up.

Proved a lot of people wrong last night with everyone saying he is a brawler slugger and gets hit....he now appears to have brilliant footwork and piston jab that does some damage along with combinations.

He's always had brilliant footwork, it's one of the reasons people rated him massively before he hit the mainstream. His ability to close the ring and shift his opponents into spots he wants them is is second to none. When he knows people can't hurt him he will slip into slugger mode which is why he is exciting; he can box behind the jab and control his opponents but chooses to entertain and slug it out when he wants.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

Golovkin showed a different side to his game that we all knew he had don't see anyone who can take him,at 160

Gonzalez is more impressive everytime I see him just mashes people up

Ortiz looks like an interesting addition to the heavyweight division very light on his feet

Can anyone tell me okanes plan stand face first and get pasted? He couldn't handle the speed

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 18 Oct 2015, 2:08 pm

Luis Ortiz fights for WBA Interim title and wins; fails subsequent drugs test, fight is made a no contest and he is just given another shot at the title. What the hell kind of deterrent is that?!

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 18 Oct 2015, 9:58 pm

GGG was jiust on another level last night, that jab and his footwork was amazing, no one lives with him at 160

Cotto doesn't last more than 4 rounds, Canelo can try but everything he can do so can ggg and GGG doesn't have the same weaknesses as canelo like his workrate or his footspeed. He may last untill about rou nd 9 but I'd doubt it, would be busted up and grinded down.

Has to be GGG ward next, no one else can even challenge him, except Amir Khan ofc because everyone is running scared of khan.......

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:09 pm

Would GGG fight Khan?

Doubt it. Khan is too skillful.

All joking aside other than possibly Ward, no one from 168 down lives with GGG. I am slowly converting to be a believer haha

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 19 Oct 2015, 12:06 am

Can't wait to watch this. Sounds like GGG's best performance yet. He's got a world champion on his CV now as well. Good things await.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 19 Oct 2015, 7:10 am

If Ward moves up instead is GGG going to end up not being able to have those career defining fights? Sergio martinez was on the slide when he really came to power and the fight never happened. Canelo has come up a lot of weights to get here. If not ward then who can give him those fights. Super middle was stacked a couple of years ago but is now thinning out. Will this stop him defining his potential?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 19 Oct 2015, 7:35 am

He can just smash folk for the next couple years.

Canelo would be a good name on the resume. GGG could definitely stop majority of super middles with ease.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 19 Oct 2015, 7:47 am

spencerclarke wrote:If Ward moves up instead is GGG going to end up not being able to have those career defining fights? Sergio martinez was on the slide when he really came to power and the fight never happened. Canelo has come up a lot of weights to get here. If not ward then who can give him those fights. Super middle was stacked a couple of years ago but is now thinning out. Will this stop him defining his potential?

The fights will come. Cotto and Canelo have never ducked anyone. If the first fight's a good one, they'll likely rematch before facing Golovkin. The likes of Monzon and Hagler had their defining fights against welters moving up - maybe someone takes over 147 (Errol Spence for example) and goes after GGG. As his star rises, fighters will start gravitating towards him.

Last edited by hazharrison on Mon 19 Oct 2015, 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 19 Oct 2015, 7:51 am

Monzon's defining fights were against Valdes, a genuine world class Middleweight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:18 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Monzon's defining fights were against Valdes, a genuine world class Middleweight.

Griffith and Napoles were the great fighters Monzon took on - both former welterweights. Valdez - another former welterweight (he boxed there until the age of 24) - was probably a better middleweight than that pair (in the same way you could argue Vito Antuofermo was a better middleweight than Thomas Hearns) but he came at the end of Monzon's career, when he wasn't quite as good as he'd once been.

For the sake of argument: the majority of Monzon's best wins came against former welterweights.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Oct 2015, 6:16 pm

hazharrison wrote:Refreshing to have the likes of Golovkin, Gonzalez and Kovalev at the top of the sport. Straight up wrecking machines all three.

And we are being told that boxing is on the slide and no great fights or fighters out there! Will have to check out Gonzalez, being talked about highly on here. Just watched the GGG fight without knowing the result great performance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Oct 2015, 6:24 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh cotto would be brutally put away by him. Alvarez would be more of a match up.

That was just the forum 'experts' & haters, often the same, he's shown he's a class boxer since he came on the radar, those that couldn't see it......well? People seem to forget that fighters get hit, get rocked.......its boxing, its a fight. To many expect a punch perfect performance from a champion who also doesn't get hit. But then when Maywether did this he gets slated!

Great performance from GGG btw, almost felt sorry for Lemieux but fair play to the guy he was game.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 19 Oct 2015, 9:22 pm

sohotnot wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Refreshing to have the likes of Golovkin, Gonzalez and Kovalev at the top of the sport. Straight up wrecking machines all three.

And we are being told that boxing is on the slide and no great fights or fighters out there! Will have to check out Gonzalez, being talked about highly on here. Just watched the GGG fight without knowing the result great performance.

Really is worth catching Gonzalez. He's a superb fighter - joy to watch.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 19 Oct 2015, 9:37 pm

I wouldnt expect Golovkin to be as devastating at SMW, but he is a good boxer so he could still do well there.

I think Canelo, Lee and Quilin are all good match ups. All three arguably better than anyone he's beaten so far. Not like he's cleaned MW out. As long as he's earning decent bucks for what he's doing there s no panic. Was his first PPV wasn't it?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 8:39 am

Lance wrote:I wouldnt expect Golovkin to be as devastating at SMW, but he is a good boxer so he could still do well there.

I think Canelo, Lee and Quilin are all good match ups. All three arguably better than anyone he's beaten so far. Not like he's cleaned MW out. As long as he's earning decent bucks for what he's doing there s no panic. Was his first PPV wasn't it?

They absolutely are, the problem is getting them to fight him, I know Lee will if he comes through Saunders in Dec, but not convinced about the other two and if Saunders wins he has already said he has absolutely no interest in fighting Golovkin. Lucky for Golovkin he is exciting and sells tickets, so he won't become president of the who needs him club like Rigo.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 11:05 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Lance wrote:I wouldnt expect Golovkin to be as devastating at SMW, but he is a good boxer so he could still do well there.

They absolutely are, the problem is getting them to fight him, I know Lee will if he comes through Saunders in Dec, but not convinced about the other two and if Saunders wins he has already said he has absolutely no interest in fighting Golovkin. Lucky for Golovkin he is exciting and sells tickets, so he won't become president of the who needs him club like Rigo.

Speaking of Rigo......where the hell is he?!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm

Canelo will give Golovkin a good fight. Fast enough, hits hard enough and counters well enough to make it an interesting fight. With a bit of luck his stamina will improve moving up to 160 (as long as it's not a catchweight) and he'll be able to be elusive enough to take Golovkin to the late rounds.

I just want to see Gennady in a competitive fight. Or someone good enough to compete with him.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:06 pm

I would like to think canelo will give him a fight. Jury is still out though.

I hope Canelo beats Cotto. I think he will definitely fight GGG if he beats Cotto.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:20 pm

Canelo and GGG have sparred (Doug Fischer documented it - probably online somewhere) and it was competitive by all accounts. Sparring's different to fighting, of course.

I can't see Canelo or Cotto featuring in GGG's next two outings. He's likely to face Lee (should he beat Saunders). After that, he could be a bit stuck (Jacobs and Quillin are over on PBC I think?).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:23 pm

I actually would like to see the Lee fight. I know who will win, but it would be a big fight at MSG, March 17th.

Last edited by AdamT on Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:45 pm

I've heard they're hoping to bring him back to Europe for a fight. Hopefully that would be Lee over here (and not Monte Carlo).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 20 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm

Were would they hold the Lee fight? Outdoors?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 20 Oct 2015, 9:54 pm

hazharrison wrote:Canelo and GGG have sparred (Doug Fischer documented it - probably online somewhere) and it was competitive by all accounts. Sparring's different to fighting, of course.

I can't see Canelo or Cotto featuring in GGG's next two outings. He's likely to face Lee (should he beat Saunders). After that, he could be a bit stuck (Jacobs and Quillin are over on PBC I think?).

I read a detailed account a while back, couldn't tell you by who, but sounds like the article you refer to... It was about 4 or 5 years ago I think. By all accounts they didn't hold back and it was very competitive... But hey it's still sparring. They walk around at similar weights. GGG obviously has looked the more impressive fighter but that doesn't mean he walks it. Alvarez is at his best against guys he doesn't have to look for.

It's the toughest fight at middle for golovkin in my view. That said, I'm not convinced Alvarez will beat cotto, but don't give cotto much hope against GGG.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Wed 21 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

Dan Rafael has reported that the fight did 150k plc buys. I don't know the ins and outs but that seems quite bad. I would have expected at least over 300k. I recall DLH wanting it believing it would be 450k so it a fair way out.

I read the Canelo GGG account also and it seemed that GGG just about got the better of it but there wasn't much in it.

Just need Canelo to beat Cotto to see the GGG fight but Cotto does seem like he's revitalised under Roach. Neither have great stamina, Cotto's is better and that may come into play, I rate Canelo but always feel there's a chance he could gas badly, As I said yesterday though, it is hopefully down to cutting weight and he'll be better now,

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 9:20 am

That is pretty low ppv. Suprised at that.

However I expect GGG's numbers to rise after that showing. He will double them figures in the next fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Wed 21 Oct 2015, 9:26 am

Thinking about it neither fighter were American so even with the excitement that GGG promises it may be a more difficult sell to the public there.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 9:27 am

I think he is starting to get the attention of mainstream fans now. If he gets the winner of Cotto and Canelo, that will be the fight to make him a superstar.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:05 am

golovkin may have to wear a sombrero again and start drinking san miguel to get his ppv numbers up

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:11 am

Why are his numbers low? Are casuals not really in the know?

My brother never heard of him and a couple of guys at work asked about him. Hardcore boxing fans love him, but he needs to get out there and grab attention.

I guess that last win does him no harm.

I have given Gennady more stick than most, but I am far from happy with the ppv numbers. I do really enjoy watching him fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:39 am

150k isn't great, but I think there are two factors

- Lemieux. His highest purse before this was $150K. So he clearly wasn't a draw. And that was in his native market. He won the title beating an even less known N'dam. I'd say there's a good chance casuals had no cooking clue who the hell he was.

Pac-May - Let's face it, fool me once is the American way of life. Unless you're an ardent Golovkin fan... buying the very next PPV HBO put out after that farce would require a leap of faith.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:43 am

Cotto vs Canelo will probably do 750,000+ buys.

The winner of that vs GGG is a million plus. Maybe wishful thinking from me.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

It is low for most PPV's but not surprising.

From memory Cotto vs Martinez did c. 330k buys so seems right albeit I hoped for more.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

Does anyone think Cotto v Canelo could reach a million?

I think about 700-800 would be good. Would be nice to see a million plus ppv, but perhaps that won't happen for a while yet.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:38 pm

I think it could break a million but if I was a betting man I would say around the 750k.

Mayweather/Berto did 550k so as long as it beats that, it would be good!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:43 pm

750K is my guess as well. Yeah it needs to be at least 500-600K.

It will be a good fight, casuals definitely should be getting it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm

If a casual can't get excited for this fight then they'll never be into boxing!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:48 pm

I am very excited for this fight. I was more excited about May and Pac finally getting it on, but this is a real fight.

It is a real 50-50. I was thinking Alveraz, but I am now leaning to Cotto. Great match up!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 21 Oct 2015, 2:57 pm

Loeffler said beforehand that anything over 200k would be a success; anything over 300k a great success.

I guess 150k could have made a slight loss (gate receipts were great, however). It's difficult with Golovkin - he's not American (which is the major stumbling block) and - despite the sterling job K2 have done since springing him free from Universum - he's still largely unknown outside of hardcore fans.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:05 pm

Why is he not known as well? Bad management there somewhere.

He is the most exciting fighter in boxing, am I correct?

Floyd could put a glass eye to sleep, but he still got the numbers, even half decent against Berto. Shows what a big mouth can do.

Hopefully GGG gets more exposure to get the casuals reigned in.

Last edited by AdamT on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next