The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things?

+27
eirebilly
doctor_grey
dallym
Scottrf
lostinwales
yappysnap
stub
rozakthegoon
Notch
Heaf
Pete330v2
nathan
GavCanDance
tigertattie
Jimpy
beshocked
MarcusHalberstram
whocares
IanBru
R!skysports
SecretFly
Poorfour
rodders
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
LondonTiger
RDW
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things? Empty Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things?

Post by RDW Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:53 am

Someone has created a petition to get it removed!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11888395/Rugby-World-Cup-fans-petition-ITV-to-replace-truly-awful-Paloma-Faith-theme-music.html

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things? Empty Re: Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things?

Post by LondonTiger Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

Yes, but then no more than Dame Kiri's original.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things? Empty Re: Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things?

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

Yes, her signing is awful. She just sounds like she can't be arsed. Truly the voice of her generation!!

Bah humbug!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:04 am

Swing Low makes me want to puke my guts up.

Truly awful song.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:04 am

Yes.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

I bet everyone has it stuck in their heads now - apologies about that!

Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things? Bangin11

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:15 am

We'd discussed at home how awful it sounds - like someone strangling a particularly languid cat.

I had no idea it was Paloma Faith. She's normally better than that. To be fair, some of the snippets are better than others, so maybe it sounds better if you can listen to the whole thing, but ITV have certainly picked some truly awful lines.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:17 am

Strange that I kinda hear Paloma Faith whine and yodel through most modern 'relevant' music. Not her personally but her and her so similar herd of vocal-chord and ear-drum torturers. But this style of 'singing' sells for some reason I can never understand. So someone is buying...and thus why Faith got the gig.

Never settle for a melody when you can power-drive vibrato-splurge the schidt out of it! Wink Blame X Factor for the plague.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

Yes,

When I watched the opening ceremony I thought the sound on my TV had gone wrong

She truly can not sing

It is terrible

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:25 am

Riskysports wrote:Yes,

When I watched the opening ceremony I thought the sound on my TV had gone wrong

She truly can not sing

It is terrible

They should have said: "Do not adjust your sets - she really is that bad"

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:38 am

From the horse's mouth:
Pavlova Fail wrote:Some people are slating it, I feel like they don't like change, but I don't mind.
I mean I'm quite pleased with it, so that's all that matters really.
I think they don't like it because it's being played too much.
In many ways, she's right. The reason I don't like it is that it's being played too much. I'm not sure if she'd agree with me that 'once in a blue moon' is too much!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

never heard it (missed the opening ceremony) , guess am not missing much.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:43 am

whocares wrote:never heard it (missed the opening ceremony) , guess am not missing much.

It is played at the start of ITVs coverage for every game and as they go for ad breaks.

Another lady sang it at the opening ceremony - much nicer (both the singing and the looking at!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:43 am

Yeh, I mean the worst thing you can do with a really good rendition is play it too much.

People hate it because her voice is completely unsuited to it. She's actually a really bad technical singer, and the theme tune requires the signing to be able to sustain their voice, stay in tune and preferrably have some quality of tone.

She was clearly chosen to appeal to the yoof, not for those of us "approaching" middle age.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:48 am

Yes. It sounds like a dying cat being auto-tuned in a cement mixer.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

Yes.

whocares I guess you miss it because you don't have ITV coverage. Lucky guy!

Pretty much every ad break - it's a world.....in union.... very irritating.

To be fair to Paloma Faith, World of Union is a rubbish rip off of Gustav Holst and I Vow to Thee my Country. Never been a big fan even with or without Paloma Faith singing it.

Would probably be the same problem if it was another singer - just happens to be Paloma copping criticism.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

She must appeal to quite a lot of people, she's having a hugely successful music career. good luck to her.

As I've said before, there's more important things to worry about, I'm not a huge fan of the song either, but I don't get TV rage when it comes on.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 10:58 am

Jimpy wrote:She must appeal to quite a lot of people, she's having a hugely successful music career. good luck to her.

As I've said before, there's more important things to worry about, I'm not a huge fan of the song either, but I don't get TV rage when it comes on.

Yawn.

Yes, there are more important things to worry about. In fact there are more important things than rugby, but that doesn't prevent us from coming on here to discuss such things.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:00 am

MarcusHalberstram wrote:Yes. It sounds like a dying cat being auto-tuned in a cement mixer.

We really do have to compile these nuggets for posterity. I think Pete on another thread had a great one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
whocares wrote:never heard it (missed the opening ceremony) , guess am not missing much.

It is played at the start of ITVs coverage for every game and as they go for ad breaks.

Another lady sang it at the opening ceremony - much nicer (both the singing and the looking at!)

well we dont get that on french tv. as a "compensation" we have probably the worst ever commentator, a bloke that knows sh*t about rugby (he normally comments football) and who doesnt know basic vocabulary such as fend-off (in french raffut but he calls that "hand agression...").

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

whocares wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

well we dont get that on french tv. as a "compensation" we have probably the worst ever commentator, a bloke that knows sh*t about rugby (he normally comments football) and who doesnt know basic vocabulary such as fend-off (in french raffut but he calls that "hand agression...").

So basically it would be the equivalent of having Adrian Chiles!

So glad we haven't got him on ITV.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:11 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Jimpy wrote:She must appeal to quite a lot of people, she's having a hugely successful music career. good luck to her.

Yawn.

Yes, there are more important things to worry about. In fact there are more important things than rugby, but that doesn't prevent us from coming on here to discuss such things.

Yawn

That's what I was doing....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:28 am

It sounds like shes "singing" while gargalling mouthwash!

PS: I vow to thee my country, is a rip off also!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

MarcusHalberstram wrote:Yes. It sounds like a dying cat being auto-tuned in a cement mixer.

Best description EVAR! thumbsup

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:32 am

GavCanDance wrote:

Best description EVAR!  thumbsup

How do you know though.... Whistle

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

EDIT - sorry, thought it was a question to me. Ignore.

Last edited by GavCanDance on Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

He auto tunes cats as a hobby?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:37 am

tigertattie wrote:It sounds like shes "singing" while gargalling mouthwash!

I vow to thee my country was approved by Gustav Holst and the music was fitted to I vow to thee my country by himself so it's not.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:38 am

tigertattie wrote:It sounds like shes "singing" while gargalling mouthwash!

Not really a rip off, just setting a Holst melody to words. Holst was at least credited with the tune.

Most pop stars these days just borrow the tunes and pass them off as their own work.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:41 am

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:42 am

SecretFly wrote:He auto tunes cats as a hobby?

Ooooooo Matron.

Seriously though, was this article started because Jeremy Vine couldn't fit everybody in on his morning rant-a-thon?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Think that was Laura Wright who's also a rugby player.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

Laura Wright is excellent. They should have used her.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:48 am

"Yes, her signing is awful. She just sounds like she can't be arsed. Truly the voice of her generation!!

Bah humbug!!"

Bah humbug maybe but it's sadly true. The positive thing from that is that all the current crop of music 'stars' will thankfully be forgotten in a decade.

I did like one of Paloma's numbers (Do you want the truth or something a little less long winded) but in performing this she has murdered not only the song but perhaps her career Smile
It is truely awful and has me rushing for the remote every time there's a break.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 25 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

GavCanDance wrote:

OK anyone got a cement mixer so we can test the theory?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 25 Sep 2015, 1:06 pm

Heaf wrote:
GavCanDance wrote:

OK anyone got a cement mixer so we can test the theory?

That sort of stuff?
https://youtu.be/m0uP4-eetsM

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep 2015, 1:10 pm

Absolutely, 100%, yes. I don't know who Paloma Faith is but everything she has ever been taught about what good singing is wrong.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rozakthegoon Fri 25 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

It's dreadful. The problem isn't her though, it's the mix. There's weird out of tune instrumentation behind the voice. Like someone has tried to be clever but in fact is an idiot

rozakthegoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Sep 2015, 1:40 pm

The problem, for me, is every element of it. But I'm pretty sure it's her thats out of tune with the rest and not vice versa.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 25 Sep 2015, 1:53 pm

Couldn't agree more! Very Happy

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:04 pm

Out of tune is what it's all about! What's with you people?

That's what's wanted. It's youff-ful rebellion against the melodies, patterns, tonal-qualities of the grandfather generation... that's those that were teens through the Noughties, folks Wink

It's raw, it's urban, it's gotta sprinkle of fashion avant-garde. It's fresh, it's quirky, it's rich, wick-ED. Smooth, brash, fun-trash.
It's open, sublime, expressive, generational and crap.

Get with the program.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:Out of tune is what it's all about!  What's with you people?

That's what's wanted.  It's youff-ful rebellion against the melodies, patterns, tonal-qualities of the grandfather generation... that's those that were teens through the Noughties, folks Wink

It's raw, it's urban, it's gotta sprinkle of fashion avant-garde.  It's fresh, it's quirky, it's rich, wick-ED.  Smooth, brash, fun-trash.

Get with the program.

OK Fly, I'll give it another go... Erm

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:Out of tune is what it's all about!  What's with you people?

That's what's wanted.  It's youff-ful rebellion against the melodies, patterns, tonal-qualities of the grandfather generation... that's those that were teens through the Noughties, folks Wink

It's raw, it's urban, it's gotta sprinkle of fashion avant-garde.  It's fresh, it's quirky, it's rich, wick-ED.  Smooth, brash, fun-trash.

Get with the program.

shut up granddad Very Happy

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:27 pm

rozakthegoon wrote:It's dreadful. The problem isn't her though, it's the mix. There's weird out of tune instrumentation behind the voice. Like someone has tried to be clever but in fact is an idiot

It has not a thing to do with the mix, the repetative bit they play at each break is all Paloma and is indicative of the entire piece, an offence to the eardrums.

Whoever it was that thought brining this onto the ITV bandwagon was a good idea should really should be sent to Raqqa on a Charlie Hebdo selling trip. It'd be nice for the likes of Simon Cowell to acompany them.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:29 pm

So, because we don't like it we are at fault?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

I'm very much regretting starting this thread now - all the emails popping up mean that it has been stuck in my head all day!

Does listening to Paloma Faith’s ‘World in Union’ make you want to break things? Smiley20

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rozakthegoon Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:47 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
rozakthegoon wrote:It's dreadful. The problem isn't her though, it's the mix. There's weird out of tune instrumentation behind the voice. Like someone has tried to be clever but in fact is an idiot

It has not a thing to do with the mix, the repetative bit they play at each break is all Paloma and is indicative of the entire piece, an offence to the eardrums.

Whoever it was that thought brining this onto the ITV bandwagon was a good idea should really should be sent to Raqqa on a Charlie Hebdo selling trip. It'd be nice for the likes of Simon Cowell to acompany them.

Erm, except it does. She isn't out of tune ( i dont enjoy her voice personally) there is a clash with the instrumentation. They have tried to don "interesting " juxtaposed swell behind her voice. It doesn't work. It sounds awful. But she isn't singing out of tune.

rozakthegoon

Back to top Go down

Post by rozakthegoon Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:51 pm

It is awful though!

rozakthegoon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 25 Sep 2015, 3:04 pm

The most amusing part of it is that you'll be able to see plenty more of Paloma Faith on new series of the Voice UK next year as she was one of the people replacing Sir Tom Jones....

Sir Tom is probably shouting at the TV - I could do a better job than her!

Perhaps she deliberately did a poor rendition as part of her deal with BBC to be a coach on the Voice! Sabotage the RWC song and we'll give you an extra £100k.....

Does make you wonder why BBC and ITV are fighting for her services?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

beshocked wrote:Does make you wonder why BBC and ITV are fighting for her services?
Well...You gotta have Faith...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next