The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+52
Dass
Redrage
links
Skydriver
LadyPutt
navyblueshorts
Fernando
Enforcer
KeizoYamata
No1yankee
1GrumpyGolfer
Marcus
BlueCoverman
Lairdy
barragan
tarka
ScottieD18
JohnnyH
raycastleunited
Scottrf
JDandfries
beninho
goldwolf
Nay
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
Diggers
SmithersJones
Adam D
JPX
oldparwin
McLaren
dynamark
sharrison01
kwinigolfer
Yadsendew
Doon the Water
JAS
oldshanker
Doc
MustPuttBetter
Noshankingtonite
Faldono1fan
theeldestboy
graeme
Maverick
Rossa
puligny
LondonJonnyO
Davie
Mercurio
drive4show
56 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by drive4show Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

The old 606'ers know the score, discuss anything on here that doesn't fit in on any other current thread.

But be warned, usual rules apply. ANYTHING that goes 'on topic' will be deleted!! Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:27 am

I've had a look JPX OK
Some sort of cuddly bear alter ego. No comment.....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:30 pm

This really shouldn’t bug me and if mav and super were still around they would accuse me of being guardianist, but here goes. Why does the BBC’s headline about the US military officially leaving Iraq read “US flag ceremony ends Iraq operation”?

Not really, it means the US are leaving a war they started and that a civil war will continue to rage even when they are gone. Pernickety I know but the media should not give the impression this somehow ends the problems in Iraq. Maybe I have been to sensitive but it got to me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

Kim Jong Il has died and left a massive power vacuum in North Korea, anyone else a little worried?

He has no doubt gone to a ronely palce.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

Why would you be worried about N Korea Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

Super

Because the people live terrible lives and I predict things could get much worse for them. I would be surprised if anyone didn't worry about North Korea?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

Ah, I thought you meant that you were worried about Nuclear issues.

I can't see anything getting worse for them, already they are pretty bad and as the last surviving truly insular state (except for the American education system) I doubt they risk revolt by making treating them any worse. They believe they are incredibly well cared for due to propaganda as it is. I'm sure they 'll try and make it look like they are being taken care of even more

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by links Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

For anyone that has a morbid curiosity (like I do) about North Korea, I highly recommend the book Nothing To Envy as well as the Vice guide to North Korea which is easily watchable online if you google it.

links

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:57 pm

No idea why I am watching it but is shite strong enough a description to cover how bad a question of sport is these days. I remember I quite liked it as a kid.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:01 pm

Mac, it may be the worst thing on the BBC, I hate it. All went wrong when Bill Beaumont left.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

The last time I watched it Ally McCoist was on it and it was verging on unwatchable, the addition of Tuffnell seems to have relegated it to something that even the average ITV viewer would struggle to watch.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:50 am

Diggers wrote:Mac, it may be the worst thing on the BBC, I hate it. All went wrong when Bill Beaumont left.

I never liked Billy Bunter Beaumont, Willie Carson or Beefy for that matter (although Botham is good value these days) and John Parrot was utterly humourless.
Emlyn Hughes, McCoist and Detori were decent captains though and Dawson is alright too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:55 am

No way with McCoist , easily the worst for me. Just not as funny ad he thought he was, clown humour. Maybe it's a Scottish thing... Whistle

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

I would usually dislike him for being a Hun Diggers, I don't particularly think he was funny either, but at least he had a personality, unlike Beaumont.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:15 am

McLaren wrote:Kim Jong Il has died and left a massive power vacuum in North Korea, anyone else a little worried?

Laugh Laugh Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:35 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Kim Jong Il has died and left a massive power vacuum in North Korea, anyone else a little worried?

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Laugh

but surely it should be a ronery prace?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

super_realist wrote:I would usually dislike him for being a Hun Diggers, I don't particularly think he was funny either, but at least he had a personality, unlike Beaumont.

Nah, you are confusing personality with charisma. Beaumont has a good personality, nice, big, jolly guy who doesnt take himself seiously. He just played the straight roll on the show to Hughes the joker, and it worked back then.
Now Id say someone like Martin Johnson (to use an England RU skipper comparison to Beaumont) has very little personality but does have some charisma.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

Dawson always looks like he is auditioning for Panto

OH YES HE DOES'Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 3181402168'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

McCoist,
its his cheeky chappy persona that I can't abide
I've had the displeasure of meeting him twice and he is nothing more than an angry pie-faced bigot. Putting on the beef too

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Dawson always looks like he is auditioning for Panto
'

Oh no he doesn't.

Anyways, I've always enjoyed watching 'Equestrian of Sport' - Badminton is my favourite Erm

Beefy took it a bit too super seriously though:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/question_of_sport/qs_history/3042810.stm

Actually, Tuffers is my hero and one day his team might actually win.

Last edited by Yadsendew on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Dec 2011, 1:58 pm

tarka wrote:McCoist,
I've had the displeasure of meeting him twice and he is nothing more than an angry pie-faced bigot. Putting on the beef too

Wasn't McCoist pumping Sue Barker too?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 20 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

super_realist wrote:
tarka wrote:McCoist,

Wasn't McCoist pumping Sue Barker too?

aye and shes got a bigger tash than tosh lines aff The Bill

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 20 Dec 2011, 7:30 pm

With the death of Kim Jong do you think that his world record of playing 18 holes of golf in 23 shots will remain unbeaten

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Dec 2011, 8:36 pm

Is 8 matches long enough?

Doon

Check this out

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lake+taesong&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.893171,125.437088&spn=0.018137,0.042272&sll=39.639538,126.430664&sspn=4.593263,10.821533&vpsrc=6&hnear=Taes%C5%8Fng-j%C5%8Fsuji&t=h&z=15

I think it is where the record was set.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Dec 2011, 9:34 pm

Based upon the testimony of the always law-abiding, beacon of ethical integrity, Patrice Evra?
Sweet FA.
Expect a renewed outbreak of the Cold War if Terry walks scot-free after this.
But can't believe Liverpool won't appeal all the way to the top, what ever that is.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:50 am

Mac he must have been some player.
Who do you think marked his card?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:53 am

Doon the Water wrote:Mac he must have been some player.
Who do you think marked his card?

He had something like 15 of his bodyguards testify to the feat! Proof enough for me Laugh

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 21 Dec 2011, 10:05 am

I think he should have been asked to give the handicap secretary an explanation.
Up in front of the committee at least.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

Very sorry to see the death of Portsmouth FC's Len Phillips yesterday at the age of 89.

He must have been one of the oldest surviving England Internationals, though I believe Bert Williams might be Number One; he turns 92 next month. Hopefully.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 27 Dec 2011, 9:59 pm

Pre or post tax display prices? It used to annoy me that you had to pay more in the US from the display price....now i'm not so sure it's such a bad idea.

Imagine UK petrol prices displayed at pre tax levels. If the oli companies really wanted to put the govt on the back foot...there's a way to do it right there!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 28 Dec 2011, 1:53 am

US petrol prices are posted at gross, taxes-included.
Which, of course, hide local and state tarrifs.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:09 am

Kwini

Yeah but, they are still like only 3p a litre.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:18 am

Isn't US petrol a pretty low octane compared to ours?
It's no wonder they waste so much when it is so cheap. I'd probably have a 6ltr Charger or something if I was only paying $1 or so a litre.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:45 am

Super

Are you in work as well, I am, and starting to think taking these days as a holiday would have been a better idea. If for no other reason than 606v2 being pretty dead over the holiday period.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:51 am

No Mac, I'm off until the 4th of Jan. Yahoo
Could have been in, but I've got some holidays to use up.
Too windy for golf though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

Just read a story of how a Gillingham player managed to split his scrotum during a match. vomit

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm

A bit more than that Mac, but agree nowhere near as high as they should be.
But if you listen to politicians here of a certain persuasion (the richest ones usually), there's no reason to believe use of petrol harms the environment in any way.

s_r, Isn't Scott Dann out with a crushed testicle? Though Steve Kean must feel as if both his pair have spent Christmas in a vice.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Dec 2011, 1:06 pm

Kwini

I have to say it really confuses me when people complain about higher petrol prices, I am no supporter of oil companies or where the money from petrol goes to, but one way or another we have to start thinking about the real cost of using it and what price is associated with that cost. I am no tree hugger but the current economics of energy usage just don’t add up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 28 Dec 2011, 1:30 pm

Spot on, Mac.
I have always thought it would be good policy to attach a levy to the cost of all fuel (but especially petrol) and use the funds accrued to subsidise the development of more efficient "engines" (of whatever sort).
The US Government, for instance, could safely do this with the sole criteria being that funds are invested and manufactured product built in the US, whether by Toyota, KIA, VW, GM, who cares. But create proper jobs, attract highly trained workers and continue to reinvest in, say, Detroit.

Our State Government is twisting their knickers over the reduction of a home-heating oil subsidy. But why? Much better that they insulate properties and install fuel-efficient heating systems. Or move to Florida. Good money after bad. Hopeless.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

Mac,
The world would be in a much worse state were it not for Oil companies, it would be like living in 1910. The sheer hypocrisy of those who campaign against them has to be seen to be believed. I now work in the oil industry, hence my recent move and those against the use of oil simply do not realise that it is vital to almost every part of our lives.
I love it when I get approached by a charity mugger from Greenpeace, because they get both barrels.

I'm all for the using of less, i.e many car journeys around town simply don't need to be made, but we shall always in our lifetimes be reliant on oil for almost everything we do and make.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

No matter what type of fuel we use in the future, the governments will tax it. If someone invented a car that ran on water there would be a tax on the water. They earn far too much revenue from fuel usage to ever allow really cheap energy.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

Super

I have nothing against oil companies in theory rather their business methods. That wasn’t really my point however, rather that the cost of using energy at the moment is far higher than the price we pay for it. By cost I mean the economic cost which could include such things as future harm to the environment or future financial crisis linked to a failure in moving to non fossil fuel technologies over the most optimal timeline.

A little like the pensions debate we had a month or so ago, it is not just about the present situation but how you move to a new situation over the long term in the most efficient manner. I personally think relying solely on a free market to ensure we move to an efficient society not reliant on fossil fuels is a little optimistic to say the least.

As for those unwilling to accept mans part, or indeed its existence at all, in global warning deserve to be held in the same regard as those who believe in the literal word of the bible. Funny how they might be the same people in many cases?

Lorus

Not sure what you mean by cheap energy but I would rather think of it in terms of energy sources which are freely available to people in all nations and that do not have large negative costs to society. At the moment energy is costly both in terms of the environment and contributing to restricting economic development in poorer nations. If you think of the flow of energy (and energy security) like the flow of capital then the last point makes a little more sense.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=21481
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20