The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+52
Dass
Redrage
links
Skydriver
LadyPutt
navyblueshorts
Fernando
Enforcer
KeizoYamata
No1yankee
1GrumpyGolfer
Marcus
BlueCoverman
Lairdy
barragan
tarka
ScottieD18
JohnnyH
raycastleunited
Scottrf
JDandfries
beninho
goldwolf
Nay
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
Diggers
SmithersJones
Adam D
JPX
oldparwin
McLaren
dynamark
sharrison01
kwinigolfer
Yadsendew
Doon the Water
JAS
oldshanker
Doc
MustPuttBetter
Noshankingtonite
Faldono1fan
theeldestboy
graeme
Maverick
Rossa
puligny
LondonJonnyO
Davie
Mercurio
drive4show
56 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by drive4show Wed 01 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

The old 606'ers know the score, discuss anything on here that doesn't fit in on any other current thread.

But be warned, usual rules apply. ANYTHING that goes 'on topic' will be deleted!! Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Or let them climb all over each other and throw jelly on them...

I would let them do this Hug

I feel uncomfortable addressing you Sharrison whist your number of post is at 666.......... devil
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by sharrison01 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

I would tell you that I am purposefully leaving it there but in doing that I have moved on 1.

Better now...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

Doon the Water wrote:Last week I nearly ran over a red squirrel and a lamb in the space of 100yards.

Either that's a euphemism that's gone right over my head, or the ingredients for a really interesting stew
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:33 pm

Bob
We are on red/grey squirrel borderline and I always try to run over the greys [much to Lady Doon's disgust] and avoid the reds.

We are out in the sticks and some of the farmers signs are funny.
'Don't blatter the Bambis'
Caution~ Lamb Playschool now in session
And my favourite 'Caution Cr@p on Road'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 20 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

Doon the Water wrote:And my favourite 'Caution Cr@p on Road'

Is that an instruction Doon? Yikes
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

There is a proper road warning sign on the road passed Ullapool which says 'Caution pigs on road'. I don't think they mean police.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

Well that was nearly very embarrassing, had to choke back some tears in the workplace watching the Atlantis land after the last ever shuttle mission. Really feels like a bit of a grim day for human endeavour.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

Mac, I never know whether to believe you or not, bus I suspect you are actually being serious.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

On this occasion I assure you I was being serious. I have followed the story of the shuttle ever since I found my dad’s book with all the technical diagrams and cross sections of the orbitor prototype, enterprise.

I see the astonuats are just about to leave the orbitor now.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

Positive proof that Mac is just an old softie at heart Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

It is sad that it has come to an end but sadly the huge expense of space exploration has had to come to an end - if it wasn't government funded it would have been reduced a lot longer ago.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

sharrison01 wrote:It is sad that it has come to an end but sadly the huge expense of space exploration has had to come to an end - if it wasn't government funded it would have been reduced a lot longer ago.

No doubt vast fortunes have been invested in space exploration, although scientists will tell you that many many advances and technology breakthroughs have come either directly or as a by product it. Might be interesting to have a "figure" put on it, but that said, it shouldn't all be about a return on investment.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:It is sad that it has come to an end but sadly the huge expense of space exploration has had to come to an end - if it wasn't government funded it would have been reduced a lot longer ago.

No doubt vast fortunes have been invested in space exploration, although scientists will tell you that many many advances and technology breakthroughs have come either directly or as a by product it. Might be interesting to have a "figure" put on it, but that said, it shouldn't all be about a return on investment.

Teflon is useful without being vital. It's a difficult one to call because if they had gone off and found lots of amazing things to improve Earth then it would have been worthwhile but until you actually, you will never know. As it stands, all that money would have been better used on humanitarian causes but that is very much in hindsight. Trying once was a marvellous display of human ambition and endeavour - trying again would be about human greed and ego.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm

sharrison01
Have you ever read an article by Paul Krugman entitled "A country is not a company". I suggest you read it as your grasp of national economics seems poor at best.

from wiki

A November 1971 study of NASA released by the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City, Missouri ("Technological Progress and Commercialization of Communications Satellites." In: "Economic Impact of Stimulated Technological Activity") concluded that “the $25 billion in 1958 dollars spent on civilian space R & D during the 1958-1969 period has returned $52 billion through 1971 -- and will continue to produce pay offs through 1987, at which time the total pay off will have been $181 billion. The discounted rate of return for this investment will have been 33 percent.”

1992 article in the British science journal Nature reported:[7]

"The economic benefits of NASA's programs are greater than generally realized. The main beneficiaries (the American public) may not even realize the source of their good fortune. . ."

Other statistics on NASA's economic impact may be found in the 1976 Chase Econometrics Associates, Inc. reports ("The Economic Impact of NASA R&D Spending: Preliminary Executive Summary.", April 1975. Also: "Relative Impact of NASA Expenditure on the Economy.", March 18, 1975) and backed by the 1989 Chapman Research report, which examined 259 non-space applications of NASA technology during an eight year period (1976–1984) and found more than:

— $21.6 billion in sales and benefits;

— 352,000 (mostly skilled) jobs created or saved,and;

— $355 million in federal corporate income taxes

According to the "Nature" article, these 259 applications represent ". . .only 1% of an estimated 25,000 to 30,000 Space program spin-offs."

In 2002, the aerospace industry accounted for $95 billion of economic activity in the United States, including $23.5 billion in employee earnings dispersed among some 576,000 employees (source: Federal Aviation Administration, March 2004).

Enough said.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

In the spirit of the this thread, i thought i'd use to to let you know i'm off...

The tone of the large parts of this forum have deteriorated as a few wums have suceeded in winding some people up and it seems quite difficult to read/or take part in a reasonable discussion with some plum wading in being pointlessly aggressive and/or antagonistic.

Its really disappointing for me a I was one of the 1st to migrate across from 606 and tried my best to encourage others to do the same, but unfortunately, the lack of will to control the WUMs in addition to lack of ability to delete posts from you're own thread has lead to a situation where WUMs can take over any thread. The result being that the overall tone has gone from being friendly to one where i am annoyed every time i read the forum, i'm more of a reader than a poster... So i won't be doing either for a while... i may check in after the Majors are over and see if things have improved...

d4s, you have my email if anything is substantially changed; re: dealing with the WUMs feel free to drop me line and i'll check back in...

TTFN

Rossa
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

sharrison01 wrote:
Teflon is useful without being vital.

You've not seen my culinary attempts then Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

That is very sad to hear as I find you one of my favourite posters and someone who’s posts I look out for. I know the likes of Sharrison and kwizo have recently increased there contributions but I still think a lot of the more sensible articles such as Kwini’s or even the what’s the worst thing you have done after a shot article have remained wum free.

I always think that the better the original article the better the debate. Would it not be better to stay and just ensure you read the better stuff or even better post some good articles yourself?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 21 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

McLaren wrote:That is very sad to hear as I find you one of my favourite posters and someone who’s posts I look out for. I know the likes of Sharrison and kwizo have recently increased there contributions but I still think a lot of the more sensible articles such as Kwini’s or even the what’s the worst thing you have done after a shot article have remained wum free.

I always think that the better the original article the better the debate. Would it not be better to stay and just ensure you read the better stuff or even better post some good articles yourself?

Seconded
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 21 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
McLaren wrote:That is very sad to hear as I find you one of my favourite posters and someone who’s posts I look out for. I know the likes of Sharrison and kwizo have recently increased there contributions but I still think a lot of the more sensible articles such as Kwini’s or even the what’s the worst thing you have done after a shot article have remained wum free.

Seconded

Thirded (if that's a thing!?!)
Although to be fair, i don't think Sharrison is a WUM, just has a different opinion. He's certainly not Keizo
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm

I've built up quite a good rapport with the Admin/Mod team, I'll have a word with them offline to see if there is something that can be done to control the culprits. Hobo and his team have worked hard to build up the golf forum and it would be a real shame if the minority were allowed to ruin it for the majority.

I'm sure the Admin team will be keen to get things back on an even keel, I'll keep everyone posted.

Those that have/are thinking of leaving, please reconsider and wait to see what the mods can come up with thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

I'm off to Saunton for the 36 hole open this weekend with JAS, I know that LJ is playing the Grove. Anyone else got anything good lined up for the weekend?

Fingers crossed for some half decent weather thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

Im playing usual course at 7.00 am, a little worried at how it will go, but need to get as much practise in as possible, Sadly then its of to work for 5-6 hours Sad

Followed by my mum coming to visit, so no doubt baby chat as gonna be a dad for first time come January.

Nothing to exciting then

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

Have got a Stapleford on Sat, and monthly medal on Sunday, if i can acheive not shanking more than 3 shots over the weekend, I will have a good chance of getting my handicap cut, and be in line for a runners up spot!!!!! Doh

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:37 pm

Looks like we'll need a lot more than fingers crossed!! Not looking good for Sunday at all Sad

Re the Rossa post and Mac response I'd like to fourthded it!

Getting back to anything goes...... THe M5 from Bristol down to Bridgewater should be 10 LANES WIDE!!!! Especially in weekends in August!!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:16 pm

Captain's charity day Saturday for me (8am shotgun start, 4-ball alliance)

Non-qualifier and only token prizes (all the money going to Hounds for Heros charity) but should be a great day!

6-monthly greens maintenance started last Monday so all greens hollow-cored and top dressed but the club are saying the heavy rain Wednesday night/Thursday has got them in the best state they've ever seen them so soon after maintenance

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

Our greens were magnificent a couple of weeks ago as we were hosting the English boys u18's championships. Unfortunately, they had to tine and dress straight afterwards so weren't good when I played on Wed evening but in a couple of weeks normal service will have been resumed.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

Hmm - working most of the weekend. Sad

Maybe next week.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Have just been to the range to practise, was feeling abit despondent till I went to the little par 3 course at the back, then when doing what the pro taught me on the grass worked much better, was keeping balance, hitting ball much sounder, taking divot after ball , even occasionally getting a little spin to stop ball, I know it was only with a small swing with 52 deg, but every little helps as more than anything I found a nice tempo, to try to take to longer irons.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

drive4show wrote:I'm off to Saunton for the 36 hole open this weekend with JAS, I know that LJ is playing the Grove. Anyone else got anything good lined up for the weekend?

Fingers crossed for some half decent weather thumbsup

D4S and JAS - good luck to you both at Saunton. Weather should be good. Scored 35 points in the Mid-week stableford - just couldn't buy a putt. A few more points and I could have got a handicap cut - so frustrating. Tee to green better than the other 3 in my 4-ball group furious
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

Sounds like you need the cradle NST Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

...and I'd love the forecast for Sunday to be wrong...or change. But...it'll be the same for everybody.
Just not much fun dragging yourself out for a 2nd 18 after being drenched in the first ( unless of course you've played a blinder!!)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:33 am

JAS wrote:Sounds like you need the cradle NST Wink

More like therapy JAS Headscratch
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

Davie
It's a brave greenkeeper who takes the hollow-corer out in August.
Good for her/him.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 06 Aug 2011, 9:46 am

Congrats, nay bother. My first will be here on Thursday, so today's will be my last round for a while!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sat 06 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

My course started hollow coring this week as well.

We all complained about having temporary greens during the winter, so they said by dressing the greens in August, then they should be ok during the winter months (well except for frost) so we will see how it goes

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 06 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Davie
It's a brave greenkeeper who takes the hollow-corer out in August.
Good for her/him.

They always seem to do them in August just after Club Championships etc.

They weren't TOO bad today considering they only finished the work top dressing on Wednesday. Heavy rain WEdnesday night and Thursday morning seems to have helped. They are very slow with being sanded and still "holey" but after only three days they aren't too bad. Another week to 10 das should see them top notch again

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sat 06 Aug 2011, 9:00 pm

After watching Tiger for the last 3 days on Sky, his game seems better than I would have thought after the long time he has been away

His odds on winning the last major of this year, might make it a tempting bet

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 06 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Congrats, nay bother. My first will be here on Thursday, so today's will be my last round for a while!

Thank you, You should get Gator golf, for the kid obviously

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 06 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

Nay Bother wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:Congrats, nay bother. My first will be here on Thursday, so today's will be my last round for a while!

Thank you, You should get Gator golf, for the kid obviously

Already on the shopping list!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:55 pm

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/6317290/-/Product.html

any of you guys need to work your putting but struggling for the time, this could be the help we all need

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

Nay Bother wrote:http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/6317290/-/Product.html

any of you guys need to work your putting but struggling for the time, this could be the help we all need

Hah - nice one. I might give this serious consideration, as my putting has gone down the pan recently! Shocked
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:38 pm

Be careful when you follow through.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:27 pm

Have you ever gone into a bunker for 3 then still been in it for 9? I have!!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:43 pm

ha ha, what happened?

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:07 pm

drive4show wrote:Have you ever gone into a bunker for 3 then still been in it for 9? I have!!

Is that am or pm D4S?

Last edited by oldshanker on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punk chew ashun)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:18 pm

oldshanker wrote:
drive4show wrote:Have you ever gone into a bunker for 3 then still been in it for 9? I have!!

Is that am or pm D4S?

Brilliant...lol

C'mon D4S tell the others, it certainly made me feel better about my 10 at the 2nd yesterday Wink

In all fairness guys, Saunton was headmessingly brutal yesterday!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

oldshanker wrote:

Is that am or pm D4S?

shanker

AM round, right comedy of errors.

Had a deilicate little chip over a deep greenside pot bunker, chunked it and ended up buried right under the face. Next shot bounced off the face and ended up right under the face at the side so only option was to splash out backwards for 5. Now faced with the same shot again over the same bunker and yes, chunked it back in again for 6 🤦 This time my shot bounced off the face again but rebounded and hit me, 2 shot penalty. Still in the bunker, now playing 10. Had enough, ball in pocket, onto the next tee and one almighty great lash later, ball was hooked into the deepest poo in Devon.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm

Ruddy hell Yikes quite relieved I'm not eligible fot that one guys. Sounds like it chewed you up and spat you out Shocked
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

That about sums it up!!

Meanwhile, getting back "on topic" i.e. not golf....

Seeing as it's his 50th birthday....The Edge....great guitarist or not?? Much as I love guitar music I'm no expert on technical guitar playing but there are just some riffs from U2 that sit deep so I say...yes, he ain't no Hendrix but he's got something, you cant argue with the size and longevity of U2s back catalogue.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

I do play guitar and was involved with rock bands etc. He has a very distinct style and indeed has a lot of talent. His sound is reliant on the effects he uses, and many of his riffs are essentially simple, but heavily overlaid with "double tracking" using delays etc. That said, what he does do is actually really difficult to do live as it requires incredibly accurate timing to not sound like a guitar falling down stairs. I'm not sure he would be held in the same regard as the more traditionalist blues based guitarists.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next