The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !!

+2
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !! Empty Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:54 am

Breland W12 Mayweather.......
-----------------------------------

6ft 1 Olympian who had a decent pro career !!...... Starling said about him "His jab was as powerful as most men's hooks.....The first Breland fight was the most hurt I've ever felt"...Before the 11th the defensively adept Starling was ten points, nine points down on two cards..six on the other............I'd pick Breland to beat Floyd at 147 everytime even in their primes...Floyd who isn't much of a puncher would have a puncher's chance..

Bruno  vs  Wlad.......
-----------------------------

Watched a highlight reel with the straight punching Bruno against straight up straight line fighters like Eklund.........It wasn't for the squeamish..Yes Wlad is hugely more talented than the swede but his style is pretty similar.. Wlad hasn't got much of a chin either...

Is Wlad better than frank yes...But stylistically he's made for him at anytime...........Bruno everytime..

Starling v Manny
----------------------

......Moans and groans that Trussy has mentioned Marlon twice.............But an in and out Manny woukld be counter punched to death........Starling turned up in big fights and perhaps should have been given a draw in Curry 2...

Stylistically Starling munches on Manny..

Hamed vs Gomez at 122..........
-----------------------------------

Arguably the greatest 122 pounder of alltime would have found Hamed a nightmare....Powerful, slick and Gomez was not hard to hit.....I can't see him dealing with Naz..

Nunn v Jones Jr at 160......
------------------

If Nunn's prime was the Tate fight simply he beats every middle in history for me......

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !! Empty Re: Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !!

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:57 am

Vitali vs Holyfield, to big keeps the brave Holyfield at the end of his jab.

James Toney vs Hagler. Think he could outsmart Marvin and confuse him with his style.

Must think of more. Good thread.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !! Empty Re: Styles - Good fighters you'd pick to beat great ones in their primes !!

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 9:59 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Bruno  vs  Wlad.......
Which one is the great fighter?

Mayweather vs Forrest I've always found an interesting one.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:00 am

Or Mayweather vs Winky

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:03 am

Not sure about that, but would definitely be a borefest.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:05 am

Scottrf wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Bruno  vs  Wlad.......
Which one is the great fighter?

Mayweather vs Forrest I've always found an interesting one.

Fair to say Wlad is going to be a great heavy with his longevity whether we believe he's a top heavy or not..

........Forrest v May is a good one.......The Randy Turpin of the modern era..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

Forrest is a good one, but I really think Winky was the one that could of beat Floyd. Not saying he WOULD of, but he had that defensive style with a reach to match Floyd.

Very awkward guy to beat. Would of been a boring fight, but would of be curious to see who had won, had these guys fought around 06-07.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:15 am

Esteban Dejesus vs Julio cesar chavez at 135.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

He beat Duran so why not.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:22 am

Styles making fights......You can have someones number but not someone elses..

Enough in the Duran fights and others to see he'd be a stylistic nightmare for JCC.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:25 am

Witherspoon vs the brothers.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:29 am

Heavyweights are easy.

Haye vs Marciano
Valuev vs Marciano. Sh1t giant probably beats small heavyweight.

Doubt Dempsey could stand toe to toe with Tua.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:32 am

There are any number of good fighters I'd pick to beat Klitschko including: Ron Lyle, Cleveland Williams and Razor Ruddock.

Klitschko isn't a great fighter, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:34 am

I'd have given Paul Williams every chance against Mayweather at 147.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:35 am

Most inaccurate boxer ever against best defence of his generation. I'm not so sure.

He would give him problems with his workrate though.

Last edited by Scottrf on Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am

Williams would have a chance to be fair..............To me though Breland was a similar but better allround fighter than Paul...

Breland has to be up there with Hearns with one of the best jabs in the welter division..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:46 am

Scottrf wrote:More inaccurate boxer ever against best defence of his generation. I'm not so sure.

Yep. He'd be throwing more leather than Maidana but from a much higher vantage point (even though he tended to fight small). Stylistic nightmare for Mayweather (who usually picks flat-footed come-forward types).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:47 am

Floyd would need to up his own work rate to beat Williams. I do agree, it would be a tough fight for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:49 am

I imagine there are plenty of average/good boxers you think would give Floyd a nightmare....

I think Kalambay might have Hoppo's number at 160.............especially in Italy... Wink

But over 12....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:50 am

hazharrison wrote:
Scottrf wrote:More inaccurate boxer ever against best defence of his generation. I'm not so sure.

Yep. He'd be throwing more leather than Maidana but from a much higher vantage point (even though he tended to fight small). Stylistic nightmare for Mayweather (who usually picks flat-footed come-forward types).
His jab wasn't brilliant either. It might be one of those fights where Mayweather leads with the straight right quite often. Might discourage the punches from flowing.

One thing you do see is these high output boxers drastically cut their workrate when they step up in class. Nobody throws 100+ vs Floyd.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:51 am

Wayne McCullough gives Frampton total and utter fits.

If he'd been around today's domestic guys (Quigg, Frampton, McDonnell if he steps up) then that for me is chicken choking material.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

Coxy001 wrote:Wayne McCullough gives Frampton total and utter fits.

If he'd been around today's domestic guys (Quigg, Frampton, McDonnell if he steps up) then that for me is chicken choking material.

Couldn't beat average fighters like zaragoza

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:55 am

McCullough was at his best as a bantamweight. Frampton too big, too powerful and too good (and I love Wayne).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:42 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Couldn't beat average fighters like zaragoza

Almost made Morales quit in their fight and said he was one of his toughest fights.

And Barrera couldn't beat average guys like Junior Jones, Lewis got knocked out by the woeful Rahman. Blah blah blah etc etc etc.

Wayne would be good enough to catch Frampton, if he can give the likes of Hamed and Morales a serious run for their money then I fail to see why he wouldn't give Frampton a run for his money who isn't Whitaker in defence and simply isn't on the same level as those mentioned previously.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:45 am

I watched Wayne McCullough mate...............

Turpin beat Robbo blah blah blah.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:40 am

I think Williams would still throw 100 plus a round against Mayweather. He couldnt help himself.

Think Margarito would have been worse for Flloyd though. Constant body shots, can cut a ring off on his day and Floyyds punches wouldnt be able to deter him.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down