The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toni Nadal interview

4 posters

Go down

Toni Nadal interview  Empty Toni Nadal interview

Post by CAS Fri 07 Aug 2015, 4:32 pm

Came across this interview online yesterday so thought i'd share it all with you

Rafael talked openly of his nervousness on the court. How did you approach this problem?

First you have to accept it and know exactly what to improve. It is not easy when you have little confidence. You can improve forehand and backhand, mental work is more difficult.

Rafael was always criticized for time violation during his service games and received warning from time to time. What is your opinion on the regulation of the time between one point and another?

Rafael takes too long. And it is his fault. But it's amazing how things changed from the past. Although the ATP changed the rules, during a match he receives a warning, sometimes even two.

Do you think men's tennis will have problems once Rafael and Roger Federer will leave the court?

Yes, there could be problems. The current situation is very special. But it was the same at the time of Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe and Boris Becker. In 2005, Federer dominated. What happened then? It came a young Rafael. The two gave birth to a special rivalry, comparable to that between Real Madrid and Barcelona or Manchester with Liverpool. Federer with his fantastic tennis and technique, Rafael with his mental strength and physical ability. Both were a great combination for tennis. And then there was the advent of a super player like Djokovic. These three won almost all the most important titles, and that was good for tennis because you know before a big tournament you'd see a great final. Just look at how many times they have played against each other. I see no one as good as Federer and Djokovic in the next generation of tennis players. I'm not sure Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Coric or Zverev will become great tennis players. If the opposite will happens, it would be good for tennis.

IN THE NEXT PAGE TONI TALKS ABOUT ROGER FEDERER"S 17 GRAND SLAM TITLES

Roger Federer celebrates 34 years in a few days and He is still number two in the world. Do you think Rafael can play at that level in the next 5 years?

In the case of Rafael, it will be a matter of will and desire to win. I often heard that Rafael had a short career. He was already a professional tennis player at 16 and he won at least one Grand Slam title each season in the last 10 years, and he was in the top 100 for 13 years in a row. Rafael, if he wants, can compete at an high level even at 34 years. But there isn't just Roger Federer...

Tommy Haas for example.

Exactly. Tommy Haas has had many problems and still playing at a high level. In 2013, at 35, he just missed out on qualifying for the ATP World Tour Finals. Then there's David Ferrer who at 33 is still playing at the level that he always expressed. Wawrinka has reached the pinnacle of his career at 30 years. Times is changing.

Is it still a goal to overcome Roger Federer's Grand Slam titles record?
Our goal has always been to be the best as far as possible. 14 Majors won is incredible. We do not think to increase to 17, because it is far away. But I think that Rafael will be strong enough no later than next year to win again a Grand Slam title.

What advice would you give to young players who are beginning a professional career?

I like sports where there is a ball to be hit. In this way, players must use a technique and thinking on the court. Today you can be a good tennis player if you make good shots, especially with the service. The next generation of tennis players has to be very aggressive, but they shouldn't lose control. If you make errors on errors, it will become difficult.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Toni Nadal interview  Empty Re: Toni Nadal interview

Post by hawkeye Fri 07 Aug 2015, 5:52 pm

I posted some of this interview in the time violation sticky. I think you missed out the most interesting bit. It was Toni's response to a further question on the time violation rule.

Find this rule interpretation fair?

Firstly, we must ask ourselves why this is happening at all. The rule was changed on the advice of some players. Secondly, we must ask ourselves, what game we want to see. Let's see a very fast game, where there is no angular backlash, or we want to see a game where there is much tactics and think the players about their beats? This means that the ATP has to deal. I think the audience can see it better when the ball often flies over the net. In some cases, the referees are also not as strict as in the time game. I've seen it many times that players use ugly words and are not cautioned. Rafael always behaves very correctly on the square. It is incredible that he conceded more warnings than players who curse and throw rackets. In Estoril example had nick kyrgios fired the ball out of the stadium and had to two previously conceded warnings actually have to be disqualified. But nothing happened.

He said the rule was changed on "the advice of some players". It begs the questions who are these players, why was the rule changed on their advice and did they have anything to gain personally by this rule change? chin

Here is a link to the full interview. Well just a google translate of the interview. It would be nice to see a better translation.

https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftennisnet.com%2Fde%2Fherren%2Fatp%2F4789728%2FToni-Nadal-exklusiv_Wir-mussen-uns-fragen-welches-Spiel-wir-sehen%3Fcountry%3D0&edit-text=

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Aug 2015, 9:37 pm

https://youtu.be/iLzoi1ndQH8

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:51 pm

Laugh

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:52 pm

Talking about TV's with HE and HN Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJehlr1tEw

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Aug 2015, 5:42 am

LuvSports! wrote:Talking about TV's with HE and HN Wink

Yet another of your efforts to derail a thread ..!!! do you really have so little you can contribute ? or are you wumming?

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 08 Aug 2015, 8:19 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:Talking about TV's with HE and HN Wink

Yet another of your efforts to derail a thread ..!!! do you really have so little you can contribute ? or are you wumming?

Of course they are. For some reason they don't want this subject discussed. Shame that they are allowed to pick on other posters. It makes 606v2 look like a kindergarten. chin

Toni has said that the rule was changed "at the advice of some players". If the ATP are changing rules to suit "some players" I for one want to know who these players are, why they have such influence and if they gained anything personally from their influence. Toni made some very good points about this rule change in his interview.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Aug 2015, 8:30 am

So how does Toni know that the ATP changed the rule on that advice? He doesn't quote his source or the players who advised the ATP. I take that comment with a pinch of salt.

What annoys me about this moaning about thread derailment is that the OP put quite an interesting interview up regarding Tonis view on Rafa, his goals, longevity and also about the future of the sport and yet the first comment was an attempt at contaminating this thread with more garbage about TVs. There's already a thread for that so leave it there!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 08 Aug 2015, 9:01 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:So how does Toni know that the ATP changed the rule on that advice? He doesn't quote his source or the players who advised the ATP. I take that comment with a pinch of salt.

What annoys me about this moaning about thread derailment is that the OP put quite an interesting interview up regarding Tonis view on Rafa, his goals, longevity and also about the future of the sport and yet the first comment was an attempt at contaminating this thread with more garbage about TVs. There's already a thread for that so leave it there!

This thread was about Toni's interview. He was asked two questions about the time violation rule and gave long replies to both. The interviewer didn't question him further on sources etc. I certainly don't doubt that Toni has access to inside information.

If you are not interested in Toni's interview why comment? If you are interested in what Toni had to say about Rafa's goals or the future of the sport talk about that. There are many articles on 606v2 that I have no interest in but I can't imagine being so rude as to wum them to express my lack of interest. Although I think it looks more like an attempt to shut up people you personally disagree with than lack of interest in the subject of time violations. There appears to be plenty of interest in that topic.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Aug 2015, 9:07 am

I didn't say I wasn't interested as I said it the interview was interesting! You posted a snippet of this interview on the other thread. Leave it there. You derailed this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Aug 2015, 10:22 am

[quote="legendkillarV2"]So how does Toni know that the ATP changed the rule on that advice? He doesn't quote his source or the players who advised the ATP. I take that comment with a pinch of salt.

What annoys me about this moaning about thread derailment is that the OP put quite an interesting interview up regarding Tonis view on Rafa, his goals, longevity and also about the future of the sport and yet the first comment was an attempt at contaminating this thread with more garbage about TVs. There's already a thread for that so leave it there![/quote

I have very right to complain about that post..why the hell have I been brought into the snidely little remarks
I have posted on 606 about 3 or 4 times  in the last few weeks.Ive been in transit from North America back to Spain
Make what bliddy comments you like but don't name me to make your stupid digs. picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:21 am

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Aug 2015, 11:31 am

Glad you got the point

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down