The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southern hemisphere dominance

+24
Sin é
GunsGerms
wrfc1980
mikey_dragon
Barney McGrew did it
doctor_grey
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
GavinDragon
Icu
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
Biltong
beshocked
sensisball
Pot Hale
Gwlad
blackcanelion
emack2
fa0019
BamBam
Fanster
Geordie
profitius
28 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Southern hemisphere dominance - Page 6 Empty Southern hemisphere dominance

Post by profitius Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Read an interesting article today
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2536815-why-super-rugbys-exodus-wont-stunt-the-southern-hemispheres-dominance

Its half right. While the SH has traditionally dominated since professionalism, the gap has closed, big time. Take NZ out of it and there isn't a whole lot between a number of sides.

I think the gap will continue to close. The South Africans have to deal with quotas and a crumbling economy, the NRL have just signed a $1.7 billion TV contract in Australia and are increasing their salary cap by nearly 50% and the English clubs are going to join the French in picking the best players from super rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Southern hemisphere dominance - Page 6 Empty Re: Southern hemisphere dominance

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:
beshocked wrote:SA have a very good RWC record.

If SA are to lose in the RWC I would say that the teams most likely to beat them are NZ,AUS,England,Wales in that order.

Might raise your eyebrows at England but England are traditionally strong in world cups, of course home advantage too.

Discounting Ireland and France because I don't think they would face SA.

It is inevitable that England turn their fortunes around against the Springboks, even Wales gets to do that evry dozen or so matches. South Africa and Australia have been on a 50/50 odds for some time now, they win 90% of their home tests and we win 90% of our home matches.

New Zealand has it over Heyneke Meyer even though every match between them has been highly competitive and within a score most of the time.

Ireland in Europe has become a bogey team for us over the last decade, even France is highly competitive against us.

Teams most likely to turn us over is firstly New Zealand, then Australia then England and Ireland and then France.

Wales has had their turn and it happens rarely, even Scotland beats us more in Europe than Wales does.

Classic MOD  WUM. 1/10 for orignality. Yawn. Even an Argentine would have done better. Like i said Biltong, you're like an old wildebeest roaming the veldt with his hide getting thicke, his body getting softer and his teeth falling out….the lions are circling and the hyenas sniff blood.

Yeah yeah, I must have struck a nerve somewhere, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Biltong wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:

If SA are to lose in the RWC I would say that the teams most likely to beat them are NZ,AUS,England,Wales in that order.

Might raise your eyebrows at England but England are traditionally strong in world cups, of course home advantage too.

It is inevitable that England turn their fortunes around against the Springboks, even Wales gets to do that evry dozen or so matches. South Africa and Australia have been on a 50/50 odds for some time now, they win 90% of their home tests and we win 90% of our home matches.

New Zealand has it over Heyneke Meyer even though every match between them has been highly competitive and within a score most of the time.

Ireland in Europe has become a bogey team for us over the last decade, even France is highly competitive against us.

Teams most likely to turn us over is firstly New Zealand, then Australia then England and Ireland and then France.

Wales has had their turn and it happens rarely, even Scotland beats us more in Europe than Wales does.

Classic MOD  WUM. 1/10 for orignality. Yawn. Even an Argentine would have done better. Like i said Biltong, you're like an old wildebeest roaming the veldt with his hide getting thicke, his body getting softer and his teeth falling out….the lions are circling and the hyenas sniff blood.

Nope…but you're trying VERY hard too, and not even bothering to attempt to disguise it because clearly your nerves have been somewhat shredded like the Springboks were by Argentina! Laugh

Keep trying!!

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Nope…but you're trying VERY hard too, and not even bothering to attempt to disguise it because clearly your nerves have been somewhat shredded like the Springboks were by Argentina! Laugh

Keep trying!!

I was once told that I don't suffer from nerves, and After seeing the elation on the faces of Daniel Hourcade and his assistant coaches I don't begrudge them their first win over the Springboks.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Gwlad is an obvious troll. don't feed him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Biltong wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Keep trying!!

I was once told that I don't suffer from nerves, and After seeing the elation on the faces of Daniel Hourcade and his assistant coaches I don't begrudge them their first win over the Springboks.

How very gracious of you. Hope you feel the same way about Stephen Betham Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Nah, he is harmless
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:23 pm

The Bok defeat by Argentina worries me, and I can't help feel that the Bok backlash will be unleashed on Scotland and Samoa at the World Cup. The talent in Bok rugby is vast, and Meyer is no fool. Only an idiot would write them off on the back of that defeat.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:25 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The Bok defeat by Argentina worries me, and I can't help feel that the Bok backlash will be unleashed on Scotland and Samoa at the World Cup. The talent in Bok rugby is vast, and Meyer is no fool. Only an idiot would write them off on the back of that defeat.

Or a harmless troll Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Biltong wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:The Bok defeat by Argentina worries me, and I can't help feel that the Bok backlash will be unleashed on Scotland and Samoa at the World Cup. The talent in Bok rugby is vast, and Meyer is no fool. Only an idiot would write them off on the back of that defeat.

Or a harmless troll Wink

You WUMMMED a harmless troll Laugh Doh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Or a harmless troll Wink

You WUMMMED a harmless troll Laugh Doh

Nah, just helped old funnyexiledscot out.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Biltong wrote:

WUM?

Where's the wind-up?   That's a fair appraisal of SA's performances against teams that have beaten them in .

SA's percentages on all-time and last ten years records against top teams, exc NZ look like:

Wales - 91.7/91.7
Scot - 80/89
Eng - 65/88
Arg - 92/85
Fra - 64/50
Aus - 56/46
Irl - 75/40
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 am

Do I detect a ghost?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:13 am

All teams go thru bad periods Nz did 1935-49,1970`s,early 1980`s,1991,1998,2009
and have lost 6 games in 5years.Two games in consecutive years so there obviously
in decline?
Or will we see a backlash as in 2008,10,11,13,14?Boks by there standards have been
in decline since 1992 for whatever reasons.
The current injury crisis is the worse since 2010 on paper as are there results BUT
the cynic in me says after next weekend.
Like Lazerus the dead will be reborn,the wounded suddenly healed come RWC there`ll
be contenders.
ALL these games this year there is one agenda get as many first choice players
to the starting gate[RWC]fit.
RWC`s are the only time many sides field full strength sides results outside especially
pre can be misleading.
In the recent Pacific Championship an under strength Fiji beat an understrength Samoa
5 tries to 4.
For the first time this year a near full strength Argentina side beat SA last Saturday
those so called easy groups may not be so yet.
RWCs always throw up sides pulling off surprise results and France especially are
keeping there powder dry,.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:25 am

This is what SA has to deal with as the world cup approaches.

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/black-boks-complain-to-cosatu

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm

profitius wrote:This is what SA has to deal with as the world cup approaches.  

Not exactly Rugby, but with the racial and increasing cultural difficulties I see here in America, I am compelled to put something down.  I was raised by my English parents in parts of the world where perceived racial, cultural and religious differences were simply excuses for killing.  Destruction with no purpose except the love of it. Perverse. Coming to the UK as a 13 year old, there was a reassuring sameness to the culture, though there were many people of African, Caribbean, and south or east Asian backgrounds.  Everyone homogenised to a greater whole.  Not that everything was good of equitable, but little violence, and we were slowly evolving to a better place.  Now we see people slaughtering each other around the world at increasingly greater levels than ever, the old black-white fault lines in America resurfacing, and even in the UK with our tolerance for difference somehow allowing people to preach destruction from within.  Just think of the Muslim preachers, but also Oswald Moseley.  I somehow wonder how we all keep it together.  All the things which make us great also tear us down if we are not mindful.  

For our South African cousins, I wonder if it is tribute to their character they keep the country going, of if they simply delay something worse.  And how they keep the Rugby going at a high level is beyond me, especially with a country to keep together.   This is one of the reasons I am a closet supporter of SA Rugby.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:07 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
profitius wrote:This is what SA has to deal with as the world cup approaches.  

Not exactly Rugby, but with the racial and increasing cultural difficulties I see here in America, I am compelled to put something down.  I was raised by my English parents in parts of the world where perceived racial, cultural and religious differences were simply excuses for killing.  Destruction with no purpose except the love of it.  Perverse.  Coming to the UK as a 13 year old, there was a reassuring sameness to the culture, though there were many people of African, Caribbean, and south or east Asian backgrounds.  Everyone homogenised to a greater whole.  Not that everything was good of equitable, but little violence, and we were slowly evolving to a better place.  Now we see people slaughtering each other around the world at increasingly greater levels than ever, the old black-white fault lines in America resurfacing, and even in the UK with our tolerance for difference somehow allowing people to preach destruction from within.  Just think of the Muslim preachers, but also Oswald Moseley.  I somehow wonder how we all keep it together.  All the things which make us great also tear us down if we are not mindful.  

For our South African cousins, I wonder if it is tribute to their character they keep the country going, of if they simply delay something worse.  And how they keep the Rugby going at a high level is beyond me, especially with a country to keep together.   This is one of the reasons I am a closet supporter of SA Rugby.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Strength of character to keep a country intact despite the racial, social, economic, and historical challenges they have and still face.  Those challenges could tear societies apart, in my opinion.
Remarkable actions by so many.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6