The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He's going on... and on............ forever :)

+11
CAS
TRuffin
socal1976
kemet
kingraf
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
dummy_half
HM Murdock
lydian
bogbrush
15 posters

Go down

He's going on... and on............ forever :) Empty He's going on... and on............ forever :)

Post by bogbrush Wed 15 Jul 2015, 8:51 am

The great performances might be less frequent, and there might be more heartbreak for fans, but it looks like Federer isn't ready to be dragged off stage just yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33502152

Jimmy Connors, look to your laurels.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

He's going on... and on............ forever :) Empty Re: He's going on... and on............ forever :)

Post by lydian Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:22 am

Good news, he just needs to be prepared to attack the net vs Djokovic more, sure he'll get passed a lot and it's risky but better that than trying to live with him from the baseline where he has to redline his game and movement. But that aside, he's still playing top3 tennis so why retire anyway...it's about ability being shown not age, and he loves the game...and most love watching him turn on the style. I still love watching him play and in that first set some of his early ground strokes are still a joy to watch. Besides, Djokovic won't always be in top form for every final...he's due a dip at some point like Federer, and now Rafa, have gone through...so when that comes Fed is well placed still. Rio is clearly going to happen when we all wondered if it would...maybe even OG2020 at this rate if he stays healthy and motivated...and unless Haas who played well at 35, Federer doesn't have the same chronic injuries and his game is more economical, plus his body mass/shape is better suited for longevity too whereas Haas could never sustain that muscularity beyond 34/35. Allez Sir Rodge!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

He's going on... and on............ forever :) Empty Re: He's going on... and on............ forever :)

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:26 am

Most athletes would feel they achieved enough with his CV and the man wants more. And why not. If the body is holding up and net being held together by plasters or sticky tape, keep going. What is it now, 13 years and counting that he has been in the top 10? It's phenominal.

Being the 2nd best player in the world at 34 isn't so bad Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:58 am

BB, is this a celebration that you'll see more of him or a lament that you'll have to endure the agony of hope for even longer? Wink

I think the Connors reference is a good one.

The only records really left available to Roger are the longevity ones. If he can beat a couple of those too, they will be another cherry on an already enormous cake.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 15 Jul 2015, 10:11 am

Federer's longevity at the top without a significant break is remarkable. I believe he is now up to 63 consecutive grand slam tournaments.

As with many tennis players, there have been some chronic back issues and he had his illness issues in 2009, but compared to most of his rivals his durability is amazing. Having said that, you can argue that Djokovic is even more remarkable given the much more physical nature of his game - one day, surely some of the ligaments are going to snap.

Agree with Lydian's point that Fed's best chance against Djoko (and probably Rafa if he comes back to near his best) is to come to the net much more often. Yes, some passes will be successful, but it gives Fed the best chance to be the one dictating the point rather than having to chase everything.

The points about Federer apparently enjoying playing and still being able to play to a very competitive level (as in the Murray match) are well made. OK, if he was on the periphery of the top 100 then the enjoyment would probably be less, but currently he is still playing top 3 tennis, so why not keep going. Sure, he doesn't need the money, but he hasn't needed money for a decade, so little has changed in that regard.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 15 Jul 2015, 11:23 am

HM Murdoch wrote:BB, is this a celebration that you'll see more of him or a lament that you'll have to endure the agony of hope for even longer? Wink

I think the Connors reference is a good one.

The only records really left available to Roger are the longevity ones. If he can beat a couple of those too, they will be another cherry on an already enormous cake.
It's emphatically the celebration. I think the tough part is taking the hits when you think he will win, if the sights are slightly adjusted his fans can focus on the positive and not get so twisted up that some of us even skipped the 1st set on Sunday because we'd rather just learn whether he's doing well or not rather than go through the pain of having it unveiled (honestly, what a bloody idiot to do that!!!!).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:not get so twisted up that some of us even skipped the 1st set on Sunday because we'd rather just learn whether he's doing well or not rather than go through the pain of having it unveiled (honestly, what a bloody idiot to do that!!!!).
Yes, some fans take it all far too seriously.

I even know of someone who had to go for a run to ease the tension during the second set of Djokovic v Anderson...

Whistle

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jul 2015, 12:25 pm

You both deserve a picard Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 15 Jul 2015, 1:11 pm

At the very least.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 15 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

Indeed re: taking it all too seriously. I took a step back from posting here for a while, and just basically played tennis myself - didn't even watch much on TV, because the Rafa constantly-injured situation was really cheesing me off. Its been very hard seeing the guy absent and then struggling with confidence & form, and even posting about it was stressing me out. So after a sabbatical I've rationalised, re-discovered my love of the game in terms of playing and following it more broadly and am able to observe more objectively now. I still have an eye out for Rafa and hope he can once again be in the big finals where his ability deserves but if not then so be it...he can be happy with his lot, even if his fans aren't.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jul 2015, 1:51 pm

I find myself going all He's going on... and on............ forever :) 3559488474 when Andy plays. Just once I would like for him to be the 'man' at a Slam. Go in as favourite and win. Whistle

I do look to youth and hope someone comes crashing in with talent in abundence!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 15 Jul 2015, 2:16 pm

This is shaping up as a therapy session;

"Hi, my name is bogbrush / Murdoch / Lydian / legendkiller, and I'm a tennis fan"

Forum: "Hi !!!"
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 15 Jul 2015, 2:16 pm

lydian wrote: following it more broadly and am able to observe more objectively now.
This is precisely what I aspire to.

I was so frustrated after RG, partly because of Novak losing in the final but also because I was fed up that a performance as brilliant as Stan's brought me any level of unhappiness. If I was a fan of tennis rather than a fan of a player, there would have been nothing but good feelings at watching Stan that day.

My plan was to go cold turkey and block out Wimbledon completely. As it turns out, it's very hard to block out Wimbledon. It's everywhere!

Fortunately, aside from a minor meltdown in the Anderson match and few minutes at the wheel of a car during the second tie break in the final where a worryingly small part of my brain was paying attention to the road, I managed to retain a modicum of rationality.

But really, if I find it this tough when Novak is winning nearly everything, I'm probably going to need a psychiatrist when he starts to decline.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 15 Jul 2015, 2:21 pm

bogbrush wrote:This is shaping up as a therapy session;

"Hi, my name is bogbrush / Murdoch / Lydian / legendkiller, and I'm a tennis fan"

Forum: "Hi !!!"
That is exactly what came to mind as I typed the post above!

At least we all still recognise the craziness of what we do.

There are others who have slipped into a world of crazy and either can't or don't want to come back!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jul 2015, 2:25 pm

Laugh Laugh

Don't spill the coffee!

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 15 Jul 2015, 2:28 pm

B'Brush. Lady Perry and I tape Murray's matches and then check the scores online. If he's won a set, we then watch that. It's so much easier to watch if you know he's won, rather than screaming at the TV when his service hits the bottom of the net...again. Cowardly, I know, but surely tennis, with its special scoring system, is about as stressful a sport for fans as there is.
As for Fed I remember being amazed when he said he was looking forward to the 2012 Olympics in London when London was chosen in 2005. I thought, he's going to be 31 then and won't be anywhere near the top. What happens, he wins Wimbledon in 2012 and gets back to number one.
I was similarly staggered when he said he wanted to go on to the 2016 Rio Games. But here we are around a year away from the Olympics and he's number two and still making GS finals.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

Fact is Federer would still be an eternity more popular than Djoko/Murray even if he never gets close to another slam final. The crowds will be much lower once he hangs up his racquet as there isn't enough appeal outside of the UK for Murray and outside of Serbia for Novak.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 15 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

This is all worrying. Like Murdoch said though, acknowledging it one step towards better days. My issue, though, is sport-wide. It doesn't matter what I switch onto, I'll find myself emotionally attached to one of the competitors, whether I watch the sport or not. I remember getting anxiety cramps before the women's 100m in the Olympics because of Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce. I wanted her to win so badly. The kicker of course, being that I hadn't even watched women's sprints since the last Olympics!!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Wed 15 Jul 2015, 3:24 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:not get so twisted up that some of us even skipped the 1st set on Sunday because we'd rather just learn whether he's doing well or not rather than go through the pain of having it unveiled (honestly, what a bloody idiot to do that!!!!).
Yes, some fans take it all far too seriously.

I even know of someone who had to go for a run to ease the tension during the second set of Djokovic v Anderson...

Whistle

Roger Federer's bank account balances, are, ermmm, far more impressive than mine, so I will never allow myself to get that emotionally invested.

He will most likely never have to work again for the rest of his life after he retires.

Just to offer some perspective...

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Jul 2015, 7:56 pm

I have to say I have actually softened on Fed a great deal. I always respected the otherworldly player he is and what he brings to the game. But it is interesting that Rafa just starting his later years is already sort of tarnishing his reputation a bit by sticking around. I mean he is number 2 and making back to back wimby finals in his now mid 30s. I don't want to be harsh or take a dig at Rafa and I do hope he comes back. While fed who is 5 years older is even making increases in people's views of his standing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed 15 Jul 2015, 8:41 pm

Jack Nicklaus often says it's not only the wins he wants to be remembered by, it's all the times he put himself in contention and finished 2nd, 3rd. Like Nicklaus, the wins added to all the times Federer has been there at the tail end in contention is just mind boggling. Everything he has been accomplishing the past couple of years is either the 2nd oldest or oldest player to achieve it in the modern era. So I do think it only enhances the legacy even if the losses are hard to take as a fan. We just want that "one more", but there is no forever in athletic careers. Looking at him now, you say- sure a measly year from now he can still make a Wimbldon final, but that year at his age is a long time.

I don't think his mind set is such- but could anyone see him morphing into a part time player? Skip clay, train like hell, play a couple of grass tournies and go after Wimbledon. It would be tough draws- but I wouldn't be shocked to see a late 30's Federer make deep runs at a couple of majors if he just concentrated soley on them. He can prob stay top 10 until that point just on a part time schedule on preferred surfaces.

Then the next step is watching him in the seniors invitation sections at Wimbledon,etc playing with the oldies ....

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Wed 15 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

it's nice coming in this forum, finding people who are just as crazy as I am. Having an emotional attachment to something that really doesn't matter and someone who doesn't even know who you are.

Federer losing certain matches leaves knots in my stomach that can last weeks and weeks. I started to worry a few years back that carrying on playing was affecting his legend.  

I must say, Federer to me was feeling the affects of age at Novaks age but the Serb seems to be just as good as ever, maybe he has actually dipped but we don't notice it as he isn't having the challenge of 21/22 year old future greats breathing down his neck like Rafa, Novak and Andy did to Roger.

I do think the pundits like Wilander and Cash who always suggested he had it easy in his peak years try to justify how he is still at the top of tennis but saying he is just as good if not better, how a human being can better at 34 than 24 is ludicrous.

Federer's losses at Wimbledon '08, Aus '09 US '09 and FO '11 took weeks off my life sulking.

That being said, the glee I felt after US '08 FO '09 and Wimbledon '12 was awesome too.

For a player who wins 90 percent of the time, its amazing how much stress it brings!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:50 pm

It was nice, I just started University when I went onto the old 606 and I was always so tense and invested in who won what tournament, it wasnt actually any fun to watch. In reality it was all because of Timothy Henry Henman, I wanted to see someone end those horrible memories as a kid of Timothy faling short. Once Andy did that and won in 2013, It no longer mattered to me quite soo much who won what.

On the finals day, I was with some old mates and didnt watch it until highlights came up, we were watching it on live updates, the Wimby final 2013 I had to watch a movie at the cinema! (despicable me 2) so I could not possibly get any info. I knew nothing until Andy was two sets up, who then proceded to nearly kill me in that final game.

Always remember to just enjoy watching Roger, at his age his body could well just go rapidly, even with his style, OG2020 is a big stretch, I dont think I would want to see him at what 39 or so creaking in agony like Andre and Jim did.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Jul 2015, 1:28 am

Please Socal, Rafa has his injury issues. He'll be back, as he's now physically healthy and is still motivated. Fed had his dips starting from 2008 to early 2009 and then in 2013.

Rafa has a good ten years in the top 3 or 4; Fed with a fitter body, has about 12 years or so in top four. Dont forget Rafa started early and was already no.2 by age 19.

Novak is now 9 years inside the top 3 and counting but the future is unknown. We have to see how much he could sustain playing his style of tennis and when his dip in level will occur.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Jul 2015, 1:34 am

Lydian, if youre still there, why do you think Rafa is struggling now, esp with his FH? He's physically fit and healthy now, knees not bothering him, why then is he getting so nervous and tense during his matches?

Sorry to others for hijacking this thread for a while to talk about Rafa, as its rare to get Lydian here.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Jul 2015, 1:35 am

Lydian, if youre still there, why do you think Rafa is struggling now, esp with his FH? He's physically fit and healthy now, knees not bothering him, why then is he getting so nervous and tense during his matches?

Sorry to others for hijacking this thread for a while to talk about Rafa, as its rare to get Lydian here.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 16 Jul 2015, 1:55 am

I think his confidence is shot BLB, plus he's over analysing and over thinking everything, which is not surprising when he's had such a long break and then he comes back and has to compete back at the same level..:the older you get the less automatic things become. Because his form and confidence are low I think he's over engineering everything rather then letting it all free-flow....even his beloved FH. I do think the nature verve and swing will come back as he feels increasingly more comfortable but it's been painful to watch the brittleness of what is one of the tennis greats. There is a lot going on in Rafa's head, he's a pretty sensitive guy and I just think he had the wind blown out of his sails so he started looking at all areas of his game critically rather than as I say playing automatically as he used to. 3 areas Rafa was great at were 1) low anxiety, 2) staying in the moment and 3) quick thinking under pressure ...these are also common traits of GOAT-like competitors. I think all 3 areas have been hit since he came back, especially anxiety and staying in the moment. We see him at times serving for sets and matches and see him break down and lose his serve because he's thinking about the importance of the win ahead and not playing point by point like he used to...and this hen becomes a cycle of anxiety that feeds itself. It's a hard cycle to get out of...and has cost many former greats their careers. Only time will tell if he can fully recover his mojo...but one thing is for sure he'll drill and drill practice so his play becomes more automatic (for automatic vs chimp vs computer parts of brain I recommend anyone to read the Chimp Paradox by Steve Peters who helped Ronnie OSullivan become the champion he has, another guy wracked by anxiety before, it may be that Rafa needs help of a sports psychologist even to help reclaim the right balance). Anyway a long winded answer but it's not really about the production of the FH or BH, it's much deeper than that with Rafa.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Jul 2015, 2:03 am

Thanks Lydian. I also think it was something mental. On hindsight, I thought it was a mistake that he came back to play AO without much practice or training before hand and so suffered so many losses following that would dampen his spirit and his belief. Had he spent Jan to early Feb training and came back for the SA clay court swing, the way he did in 2013, I think he might have better results. The racket change just before the main clay season was another mistake, imo.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Jul 2015, 3:56 am

Interesting thing to note, Fed had a good ten years from 2003-2012 before falling out of top four in 2013. Rafa seems to follow a similar pattern,ten years in top four from 2005-2014. Will Rafa come back like Fed in 2014? My bet is yes he will.

Interesting to note also that Novak is now 9 years in top four. Will he also follow a similar pattern?

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 16 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

I remember at his peak Federer saying that he would often wake up and wonder whether he could still hit the ball the same way, whether the magic could evaporate somehow, and that this was a real thing for him.

These guys are more fragile than we think.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Thu 16 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Mature discussion on the interesting topic of emotional investment. I used to be emotionally invested several years back, back in the days when the original 606 was alive.

Over a period of time age, maturity and experience have played its role and I have realised such emotional investment is exactly what I dislike in football... The blind support and the emotional roller coaster, the rage, all for a team in which a fan has zero ownership and zero and all that just because of a geographical location. ( I am not a football fan in case that was not clear !)

I support Federer and love watching him, but the peaks and troughs have evened out now. How I play the game is more important to me than how a player I follow.

That said, having the old man around for a longer period is good. I didn't watch the final since I was expecting a loss but the old man did well to claw a set.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 17 Jul 2015, 1:11 am

Having watched "Muscles" Rosewall and Jimbo Connors, Federer is Deja-vu again vis-a-vis longevity. Getting to W finals and still beating young upstarts and players in Top 4, it is still fun to watch the Old Man dismantle players like Murray. The recovery now takes longer, but the spirit and love of the sport is amazing.

Wish Nadal was healthy, and the game would be that much more enjoyable with the rivalries.

Djokovic marching into ATGs is cool to watch. Ambitious young man.

(Murray... hint,hint... step up).

If I am still alive when the current Top 4 retire, I will cry all day and all night.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jul 2015, 9:35 am

Cor that's a bit morbid LF!! Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down