The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE Racism. Then. Now. Forever?

+9
Jammy31
RuggerRadge2611
Samo
Prometheus
Fernando
adamk
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
Adam D
13 posters

Go down

WWE Racism. Then. Now. Forever? Empty WWE Racism. Then. Now. Forever?

Post by Adam D Thu 06 Nov 2014, 1:42 pm

From Wrestlezone:

According to The Wrestling Observer, former WWE star Alberto Del Rio recently did an interview with Fighting Spirit Magazine, during which he spoke candidly about racism in WWE and the backstage incident which lead to his release.

Del Rio alleges racist comments were made all the time when he was in WWE, and they were pointed mostly at Latinos and African-Americans. Del Rio noted he never said anything about it because the comments were generally made by higher ups in the company. He added that if someone low on the WWE totem poll, like Cody Barbierri, made a racist comment, then he would say something.

Regarding the backstage incident with Barbierri, Del Rio said at first he was told he would be suspended for slapping Barbierri, but after WWE realized there was a lawsuit pending stemming from an incident with Big Show years ago, it was decided Del Rio would be released in case Barbierri sued.

Del Rio was given the impression that he would be back in a few months but he told WWE if he wasn’t hired back by the time he hung up the phone, he wasn’t coming back and noted that he had already made up his mind about leaving when his contract expired.

Del Rio did not name who made the phone call to him but said it was someone higher-up who always made racial jokes. Del Rio said because this person does it, others think it’s okay to do.

Del Rio claimed the former Sin Cara is making $5,000 per match in Mexico and is doing two to three matches per week. He also claimed the new hot talents in WWE are making $500 per match. Del Rio claimed one WWE Superstar, who was not named but also has a brother in the company, told him that he worked a Superstars match, a long RAW match, a promo on RAW and then a dark match at the end of the show and got just $500 for it. He also mentioned wrestlers getting paid $2,000 for a four-show tour of Mexico. He said the young WWE talents are not unhappy about things but not completely happy either, but have no other choice.

Del Rio also said WWE only wants you to do their style in the ring and they keep you in a box to where you can’t think outside of the box. He doesn’t blame WWE for that because it works for them but now he’s going to mix American, European, Japanese and Mexican styles.

Del Rio mentioned that his father Dos Caras will have a big retirement event in 2015 with Del Rio, his brother Guillermo Rodriguez, Mil Mascaras and stars from Japan. He added that Rey Mysterio wants to attend.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/523429-alberto-del-rio-alleges-racism-in-wwe

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

WWE Racism. Then. Now. Forever? Empty Re: WWE Racism. Then. Now. Forever?

Post by Hero Thu 06 Nov 2014, 1:52 pm

Del Rio claimed one WWE Superstar, who was not named but also has a brother in the company, told him that he worked a Superstars match, a long RAW match, a promo on RAW and then a dark match at the end of the show and got just $500 for it.

Goldust then?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:06 pm

Hero wrote:
Del Rio claimed one WWE Superstar, who was not named but also has a brother in the company, told him that he worked a Superstars match, a long RAW match, a promo on RAW and then a dark match at the end of the show and got just $500 for it.

Goldust then?

My first thought was Bo Dallas

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

Cant imagine Bo working a long match and a dark match!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

what is the big show incident?

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

In a nutshell, Andrew Green was a road producer who was tasked with interviewing the Big Show following his match with Alberto Del Rio at the Royal Rumble. The Complaint alleges that Big Show initially refused to conduct this kayfabe interview, before proceeding to verbally and physically assault Green. According to Green, this assault was not a planned part of the show.

Triple H soon got involved and two additional takes of the interview were attempted. Ultimately, WWE chose to run the initial “interview” on WWE.com, while removing the profanity. In the subsequent weeks, Green allegedly made it clear to WWE officials that he wished to have zero contact with Big Show because of fear. Despite these requests, Green alleges that Big Show repeatedly attempted to make contact, with the knowledge of WWE officials. In the end, Green resigned his position, citing emotional distress from the incident.

Green and his wife subsequently filed a lawsuit in Maricopa County, Arizona, as it was the location of the Royal Rumble event. The suit alleged various damages for Big Show’s conduct, for WWE’s failure to protect him from Big Show, and for WWE’s decision to run the footage on WWE.com despite knowledge of its negative impact on Green. Green seeks damages for physical injuries, emotional distress, and loss of income. His wife seeks damages for what is known as “loss of consortium.” This essentially means that she has lost her husband’s services in many aspects such as the ability to help around the house and, yes, the ability to engage in intercourse.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm

Fernando wrote:His wife seeks damages for what is known as “loss of consortium.” This essentially means that she has lost her husband’s services in many aspects such as the ability to help around the house and, yes, the ability to engage in intercourse.

I suppose that batteries aren't cheap angel
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Fernando wrote:His wife seeks damages for what is known as “loss of consortium.” This essentially means that she has lost her husband’s services in many aspects such as the ability to help around the house and, yes, the ability to engage in intercourse.

I suppose that batteries aren't cheap angel

You should know drumroll

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 06 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Cant imagine Bo working a long match and a dark match!

Could be the reverse, sounds like a Bray Wyatt schedule.

As for a 'higher up' making racist jokes, it has to be Michael Hayes surely? I dont want to slander the guy but he's got a bit of a history.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:18 am

I lurk a bit on here bt rarely post.

Racism in the WWE can't be a surprise. It's taken centre stage recently. Have you seen Rusev's push?

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:21 am

If you get a chance, listen to the Hernandez Interview - he talks about it quite openly.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:45 am

Sadly the revelations by Del Rio or Hernandez don't come as much of a surprise at all.

At the risk of both taking this off-topic and also appearing to be completely cold hearted. There may be a good personal reason that WWE has been supporting the Susan Komen Rise Above Cancer charity. But without me knowing these reasons there is a small part of me that thinks this is an easy charity to support. And there is part of me that wishes the WWE had thrown it's weight behind substance abuse, or domestic violence or something else that might just be a little closer to home. Sorry if that sounds both bad and is off-topic, but its irked me for a while and I've never found the place to say it.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:09 pm

I watched Del Rio's interview on WrestleTalk TV and he was clearly annoyed by the way he was treated by WWE.

Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:43 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I lurk a bit on here bt rarely post.

Racism in the WWE can't be a surprise. It's taken centre stage recently. Have you seen Rusev's push?
I'm amazed at how many people confuse racism with xenaphobia - even at that im further amazed at how people seem to hold a Wrestling company in a higher moral standing than film makers who make millions upon millions by having an all American hero overcome foreigners

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 07 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

Kayfabe, i assumed rugger was talking about the more subtle racism of black wrestlers being fed to Rusev. Might be wrong though.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 08 Nov 2014, 12:15 am

crippledtart wrote:Kayfabe, i assumed rugger was talking about the more subtle racism of black wrestlers being fed to Rusev. Might be wrong though.
If it wasn't then it probably will be now ;-)

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:19 am

Isn't there some higher up who used to (may still) go around calling black wrestlers n.gg.rs? Think I heard a story (might have been here), where he basically challenged Mark Henry to do something about him calling him a n.gg.r.

No surprise really that an old school form of entertainment which was big in the South attracts people with old Southern sensibilities. Still I'm a little disappointed in del Río. Sounds a bit Cat to find the lowest guy with a racist inclination, and slap him, rather than the however many people in management and key positions who use racial ephitets daily. Understandable, perhaps, but not exactly heroically fighting racism.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

crippledtart wrote:Kayfabe, i assumed rugger was talking about the more subtle racism of black wrestlers being fed to Rusev. Might be wrong though.

Like Big Show, Jack Swagger and Sheamus?

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:37 pm

Have to admit it looked a bit odd to see him squash black guys over three PPV's before being confronted by America's greatest hope, the White all American-American Jack Swagger.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

Samo wrote:Have to admit it looked a bit odd to see him squash black guys over three PPV's before being confronted by America's greatest hope, the White all American-American Jack Swagger.

My point exactly.

The xenophobia is a bit weird, especially since he is a Bulgarian with a pretty obvious Bulgarian Tattoo.

I dunno, the whole thing is a bit cringeoworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBtHXC-JOX8
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down