The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Smith

+8
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
jimdig
Dipper Brown
Rowley
theanimal316
Hammersmith harrier
wheelchair1991
12 posters

Go down

Paul Smith Empty Paul Smith

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:10 am

for some reason this guy has really been getting on my nerves recently. His "I went 24 rounds with AA" is really grating me. Considering he has had back to back losses against his name I think he is fortunate to be getting this shot although I guess Ward feels he will give him rounds without being a threat.
I feel that the other brothers are more talented then him and all other 3 might get world straps. I know Paul Smith doesn't like fans having opinions but there we go.

does he get on anyone else's nerves? and do you think he can take Ward the full 12?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Paul Smith Empty Re: Paul Smith

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:17 am

I don't begrudge anyone an opportunity they don't deserve and he's now found himself with three of them but it's refusal to accept that the fans do have a valid opinion on these things.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:49 am

I don't mind Paul Smith, especially as a pundit. When the fight with Ward was made he said something along the lines of he was aware he didn't deserve the shot but he would be a fool not to take the payday, which I agree with. It would have shown a real lack of ambition to not take the fight.

That being said, despite Ward's inactivity I will be surprised if that goes longer than 6. He is levels about Smith, this is p4p vs European/fringe world level.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:01 am

Got to be honest he does not wind me up in particular. Boxing is broken, very broken, that is not the fault of Smith or any other fighter. Some fighters are going to benefit from the mess that is the sport, if that must be the case I don't mind it being a fighter like Smith, because whatever his faults at least you know he'll turn up in shape and give it a proper go.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:49 am

There have been more undeserving boxers that have had title shots (I'm told). In all seriousness, I find him quite likeable. Before his first fight with AA I forgot he was still and active boxer and I always liked his punditry on Sky. He's alright when he's not speaking about himself. Same with Bellew and Froch, although for the latter that's starting to become a collectors item.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:29 am

He doesn't bother me much, he gets beaten up by even a very ring rusty ward. Fair play to him for signing up for a beating, more man than me.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:42 pm

I like Paul as an impartial pundit. But if he's talking about himself, one of his brothers, Amir Khan (lets team Joe train in his gym) or even one of his fellow gym members, he is quite biased.

He's done well for himself at the end of the day, he's had few decent paydays and looks like he's got a job after boxing with Sky.

I personally wouldn't want to see him get too f'ed up against Ward.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Good game pro and not a bad pundit, but when it comes to his personality and demeanour (or at least the ones he shows in public) Smith isn't my cup of tea. Just seems humourless and comes across as if he's forcing himself to be surly for the sake of it.

Still, don't begrudge him getting these opportunities against Abraham and Ward. It's a tough, short career so fair play to him, and he acquitted himself very admirably two times over against Abraham. I'm sure he won't let himself retire wondering about the Ward fight either and will turn up to give it a real go.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Ward will outbox him, will rough him up, will frustrate him. He is too quick too smart and too good for Smith.

Ward wins this one with a wide wide UD or maybe a late stoppage.

Really can't see it going any other way. Ward is a different prospect altogether in comparison to an old and slightly past it Abraham.

Good fight for smith though, challenging the elite and getting a good payday.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:59 pm

He's a proper Mr Winklechops.

Seriously filter?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:04 pm

It's a win, win for both guys. Smith knows deep down he will not win. He will go in there and try to make a decent account of himself. He will try and make the rounds competitive and gain Wards respect.

Ward is happy to get a guy who poses no real threat but should give him a good workout and shake off the cobwebs.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Ward isn't a devastating puncher so Smith probably likes his chances of emerging unscathed. It would be good to see Ward opening up and going for the jugular. Can't see it happening though, boring fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down