The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ???

+12
tunes666
AlexHuckerby
Strongback
3fingers
catchweight
hazharrison
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TopHat24/7
Mr Bounce
CallMeBenji
aja424
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ??? Empty Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

Watched Abraham last time out and just think though he won he looks a shell............Though he's never been that good !!

Smith is a decent Euro level fighter.................Me thinks it'll be enough............Arthur is nearly 35 and he looks it..

Smith by late stoppage................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ??? Empty Re: Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ???

Post by aja424 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 12:22 pm

Think Abraham will just enough. Would not seem right to have the 4th best SuperMid in England to be walking around as world champion.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ??? Empty Re: Anybody else picking Paul Smith to "Upset" Abraham ???

Post by CallMeBenji Fri 19 Sep 2014, 12:47 pm

Have to agree Truss. Smith has good skills. I think the question is whether he can remain as a moving target for the full fight. If he can let his punches go and then get out whilst AA still has his high guard up then he can pull it off.

Don't think he'll stop him as AA has a very solid chin, however he can nick it on points.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:00 pm

I can actually see this being a war of attrition. There'll be cuts and butts aplenty, with Abraham sneaking a split decision. No knockdowns. We know from his fight against Miranda that he can take a bit of punishment - question is though, does he have the heart anymore? For a fighter of Smith's level, I would have to go with yes. I'd like Smith to win, but just can't see it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm

It's definitely Smith's to throw away. Lot of stick for Smith saying he's nothing more than a Euro level fighter but to be fair, when was the last time Abraham displayed anything that smacked of World Class himself? To me, you have two Euro fighters battling for a "world title"

Smith will have to take a few chances in order to get the decision and pray it's enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

If Smith has a chance (which I don't think he does, he's very average) it certainly isn't by KO.

If Ward and Froch can't ko him, and he can beat Miranda with a broken jaw, someone with as limited punching power as Smith certainly isn't going to stop him.

Reckon he gets to PS in the later rounds, AA LKO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:37 pm

I think Smith will be pancaked. Not sure how Truss can call him a Euro level fighter when he hasn't even fought anybody close to that level.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 19 Sep 2014, 1:50 pm

It's a straight shoot-out. In that type of fight it's the guy with the tougher chin that wins (usually).

Abraham for me.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:18 pm

Abraham has looked absolutely cack last couple of times I have watched him but dont have any real confidence in Smith.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:24 pm

Im not sure what hes done since being ko'd by groves to warrant a shot at a title, but I wish him luck. He seems a decent fella. He has the ability to outbox Abraham (but who doesn't) however he likes a tear up; and it will be his downfall.

TKO Abraham rounds 5 to 9 but hope I'm wrong and he pulls it off.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

A half dead version of Abraham would still beat Smith. Smith is a domestic level fighte, I wouldn't consider him Euro level.

Any time Smith stepped up in the past he was obliterated. He just can't swim in this depth of water. I expect Abraham to take Smith apart.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:20 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I think Smith will be pancaked. Not sure how Truss can call him a Euro level fighter when he hasn't even fought anybody close to that level.

Well, he has (Groves, JdG?), he just hasn't beaten any of them......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:57 pm

Groves and Degale both beat Abraham easily....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 4:48 pm

Strongback wrote:A half dead version of Abraham would still beat Smith.  Smith is a domestic level fighte, I wouldn't consider him Euro level.

Any time Smith stepped up in the past he was obliterated.  He just can't swim in this depth of water.  I expect Abraham to take Smith apart.  

Looks three quarters dead to me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Sep 2014, 4:53 pm

Groves to win at a canter this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:A half dead version of Abraham would still beat Smith.  Smith is a domestic level fighte, I wouldn't consider him Euro level.

Any time Smith stepped up in the past he was obliterated.  He just can't swim in this depth of water.  I expect Abraham to take Smith apart.  

Looks three quarters dead to me..

It doesn't matter Smith just isn't up to it. Abraham beat Robert Stieglitz earlier this year. Stieglitz is streets ahead of Smith.

I really believe Smith is heading for a beat down.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:28 pm

No..You really hope Smith is heading for a beat down...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No..You really hope Smith is heading for a beat down...

I don't particularly like Smith but there is no emotion in my prediction that he will take a heavy loss.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

Don't see Smith pulling this one off, Abraham is leagues ahead, and hits well hard enough to pancake Smith. Unless Arthur is completely shot, which I don't think he is, he's just past it he should win at a canter.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:12 am

Smith to lose, maybe a couple good rounds.. decent at everything, very good at not much.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:25 am

The one thing I would just have to point to is that Tony Dodson a couple of fights away was considered a really good win for Smith and one in which he was nearly out himself in. He has fought literally nothing other than journeymen since, and rather poor ones also. The leap from Dodson who gave Smith a good fight and stepping up against Abraham that just beat Stieglitz who is literally miles above anyone that Smith has actually even been remotely competitive with is a ridiculous jump.

The only two operators of any real genuine top class quality took him apart and gave him a boxing lesson, in Degale and sparked him out in 2 in Groves.

That said will be supporting Smith as he's British, but would be stunned to the core if he won.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:31 am

One other area to show the rough levels of the opponents, Wilczewski (Terrible spelling I know sorry) fought against Degale and lost by a relatively close majority decision for the European Title, he then fought against Abraham and Abraham won more or less every round. Degale had a really tough fight against Wilczewski but beat Smith with ease in something like his eighth fight as a pro. I know boxing doesn't always work out like that but I think it kind of shows the relative level that Smith is at. Just simply nowhere near world class. People calling him Euro level, Wilcewski is Euro level, and Smith is not even up to that standard...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 11:46 am

Smith is fighting a lame looking Abraham.....Like Layne vs Gomez (Layne was 21-9)...It's all about what the favorite has left...We aren't talking about young, quick animals like JDG or Groves...

Abraham looks there for the taking...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 20 Sep 2014, 12:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Smith is fighting a lame looking Abraham.....Like Layne vs Gomez (Layne was 21-9)...It's all about what the favorite has left...We aren't talking about young, quick animals like JDG or Groves...

Abraham is 1/6............Smith 7/2

Why not put your money where your mouth is and put a few quid on Smith.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:15 pm

Honey 6/1 v Curry
Leonard 6/1 v Hagler
Maussa 6/1 v Harris
Starling 4/1 v Breland
Jacquot 10/1 v Curry
Starling 3/1 v Honey
Douglas 40/1 v Tyson
Rosario 4/1 v Bramble...

Don't care what oddsmakers think...

As for a few quid...I don't gamble...Have enough vices alread.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Smith is fighting a lame looking Abraham.....Like Layne vs Gomez (Layne was 21-9)...It's all about what the favorite has left...We aren't talking about young, quick animals like JDG or Groves...

Am not confident in your assement of Paul's abilities. Have you seen him box and if so who against!?!?!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

No I haven't seen him box..Is he any good ?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:58 pm

He's British so he's Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good look to Paul Smith, whether he can do it or can't, it's nice to see our home grown boys given the opportunity.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 20 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No I haven't seen him box..Is he any good ?

Well to started the article so you tell me..... chin

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 2:16 pm

Seen him fight five or six times....Saw him lose twice.....

He's a solid, competent, decent Euro level fighter who gets beaten handily off the three other champs...

I think however Abraham is showing a lot of wear....and like Layne-Gomez....Harding - Andries....Willard - Johnson..

Being decent may be enough..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 20 Sep 2014, 4:01 pm

You have brits which are domestic class, brits which are euroclass, and brits which are world class.

Froch, Degale and Groves are world level.

Paul smith, Feilding, and Callum Smith would competitive at European Level

Most of the rest will have stuttering careers at domestic level.

Many europeans are world level..Abraham, Stieglitz, Kessler, Froch, Groves etc.
..it just so happens Smith is Euro level, and will most likely lose.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 7:41 pm

Fair enough appraisal 3..............Wouldn't pick Smith against a good Abraham...

Just don't think he's good anymore.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Honey 6/1 v Curry
Leonard 6/1 v Hagler
Maussa 6/1 v Harris
Starling 4/1 v Breland
Jacquot 10/1 v Curry
Starling 3/1 v Honey
Douglas 40/1 v Tyson
Rosario 4/1  v Bramble...

Don't care what oddsmakers think...

As for a few quid...I don't gamble...Have enough vices alread.

Your trawling back through 30 years of boxing to make a point about under dogs doesn't carry a lot of weight.

The other glaringly obvious point is that the guys in your list that pulled off the upset were extremely talented fighters.  Smith is British level and Abraham while faded is a world class fighter.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Strongback on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:33 pm

Calling Jacquot and Maussa extremely talented fighters would be pushing things a fair bit but overall it's a decent point that the rest were all world class and in hindsight the upsets weren't a huge surprise (maybe not Douglas).

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:57 pm

Why is smith Brittish Level Strongy? If you would most likely lose to only 3 or 4 fighters in Britain (who are world level, not domestic) does that not mean you are european level by the virtue of the fact you'd beat the domestic level fighters but not the world level ones and perhaps not some of european level ones?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:58 pm

..(Who are British)

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 20 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

He's not European class because he's never beaten anyone above British level.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Sep 2014, 9:28 pm

Like I said 3finers Wilcezwski (sp) who fought against Degale for the European strap was Euro level, nothing Smith has done has ever shown he's at that level. Almost being taken out against Dodson sort of shows that...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 20 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

If he beats everyone in britain who's not world level then doesnt that mean hes a class above domestic a.k.a euro level?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 20 Sep 2014, 9:57 pm

3fingers wrote:If he beats everyone in britain who's not world level then doesnt that mean hes a class above domestic a.k.a euro level?

Not if he doesn't beat a European class opponent.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 9:29 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Groves and Degale both beat Abraham easily....

And what's that got to do with anything?

Of course they did, they're both several levels above Smith - as demonstrated by how they slapped him around the ring before stopping him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Groves and Degale both beat Abraham easily....

And what's that got to do with anything?

Of course they did, they're both several levels above Smith - as demonstrated by how they slapped him around the ring before stopping him.

It means smith losing to them is irrelevant...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:03 pm

Well its not irrelevant if he's aspiring to be at there level.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:09 pm

Different styles make different fights...

Honey beat Curry who beat Starling who battered Honey..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:32 pm

Groves and JdG both have different styles and whooped him.

What in Smith's 'style' do you see that makes you think he can beat AA?

Particularly interested to hear how a the 'style' of guy who can barely knock out even the bum's he's been fighting will suddenly ko a fighter known for his durability, even against world level opposition.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 1:36 pm

Interesting to note on Saturday how Froch claimed Smith had the ability to beat Abraham but stated Groves had no chance of doing so. How does that work, Carl?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 9:53 am

Looks like I was the only one who picked an upset....Though I had it 6-6....Which is close enough !!

When father time comes a-calling....He comes a-calling....

Be the same with Mayweather and Manny.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

Fair one truss. I actually picked AA to win via stoppage. Based it on Smith being stopped by Groves and De Gale a few years back and with him never actually fighting at world level ever in his life.

But last night he stuck to his gameplan and executed it brilliantly. AA looked confused at times and gassed from the 5th onwards.

I personally scored It 115-114 to Smith. If Abraham won that fight by a round or two, for me,
it would have been a bitter pill to swallow because I genuinely felt he never did enough.

But to have 117-111 and 119-109 is a travesty.

I have also gone off Kalle Sauerland as well....watched his post fight interview and he said:

"That's why we have 3 judges, so we can come to the right decision, which tonight it was. The 119-109 was a bit off as he never won by 10 rounds, but he won by 5 or 6 rounds, so the other 2 cards gave us the result we all knew, which is AA won handily"

Errrrrr no mate he didn't and the fact you can honestly show your face and say that is pathetic to be fair.

I thought EVERY card was an absolute disgrace.

I would also like to ask how judges come to these decisions. Is it boxing politics? It MUST be.
Everyone on this site had that fight level, or a round either way.....so did my friends outside the 606 world....and so did 90% of everyone I have seen on numerous boxing news reports this morning.....so how do the 3 professional judges have AA winning easily?

If someone could explain that, id be very happy.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:19 am

I knew Abraham was cack but Im never going to back a fighter travelling abroad to win a close fight in their opponents hometown. Especialy when their opponent is a ticket shifter. We might be able to look forward to another 3 Abraham v Stieglitz fights now.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

I think the 3 judges turned up with their scorecards already marked and laminated for them. AA wins unless he gets knocked out, which was never going to happen.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next