The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chipping yips

+16
Mercurio
Doon the Water
McLaren
Doc
Noshankingtonite
Hibbz
puligny
JAS
barragan
Rossa
goldwolf
graeme
Maverick
Redrage
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
20 posters

Go down

Chipping yips Empty Chipping yips

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 am

I'm having a bit of a bad time time just now with the chipping yips where my right hand flicks through causing me to thin the ball.

Now, I'm going to ask for advice here and before you volunteer any, PLEASE keep it to very simple tips, not a full chapter and verse on how to chip. I used to have a very tidy game but recently lost confidence and now the flicking action has kicked in.

SIMPLE tips please (and no prizes for the first person to say see a pro!)

Crying or Very sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Chipping yips Empty Re: Chipping yips

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 am

More likely caused by the left hand breaking down rather than the right hand flipping.

Wear your watch (or a band of some sort on your left wrist). Stick a hard rod of some kind though the bad so that it prevents you allowing the left hand to break down and go ahead and hit chips like that.

That will keep the wrist firm through impact and stop the feeling of the right hand coming through quickly.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 am

Are you gripping the club too tightly?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 am

Redrage wrote:Are you gripping the club too tightly?

I have thought about that, tried using a very light grip with my right hand to encourage leading through with my left. Seemed to work a bit better thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 am

place a teepeg in your glove back hand side, if your hands flip or left wrist breaks down you will be stabbed in the back of hand by the teepeg, painful but a reminder of not to do it, you soon start keeping them firm as you dont want to be jabbed by a sharp tee

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 am

i also lean into the chip with my knees quite definitely (depends on the lie obviously) but that seems to reinforce the action the guys are talking about above, ie not letting the left wrist break, for some reason. good luck, i hate the scaredy chipping yips!

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 am

thanks guys.

It's become a bit of a joke at the club that I can hit any green on the course from 150 yards but none of them from 10 yards out Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue May 31, 2011 8:32 am

I would say...........you could chip before right? So take a bucket of balls out to the practise green and chip, chip, chip away. That will sort it!

That will be £50 please Very Happy

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue May 31, 2011 8:33 am

Another cause of the wrists flipping can be a purely arms motion instead of one that allows the body to rotate slightly through impact. My current mid length chipping and pitching routine is to hinge the wrists naturally on the backswing and then rotate through the shot holding that hinge so as to make good contact.

If you flip the wrist with that then the ball isn't just gonna be thin. It's gonna be out of bounds thin.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 8:37 am

Out of bounds thin? Not a problem!!

Goldie

I've spent hours upon hours at the chipping green, every time I think I've cracked it, it goes pear shaped again.
The pressure on my long game just now is enormous because I'm absolutely pooing myself if I miss a green.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue May 31, 2011 8:39 am

drive4show wrote:Out of bounds thin? Not a problem!!

Goldie

I've spent hours upon hours at the chipping green, every time I think I've cracked it, it goes pear shaped again.
The pressure on my long game just now is enormous because I'm absolutely pooing myself if I miss a green.

The one thing that these solutions have in common is that you have to invest time not money... If you prefer the other route then...

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/product/search/searchResults.asp?search_product_model=chipper&search_product_type=ALL&search_product_manufacturer=ALL
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 am

In that case, what's going on between your ears?

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 8:44 am

goldwolf wrote:In that case, what's going on between your ears?

I think in a word, anxiety.

I know the correct technique but just can't seem to apply it at the moment. Hence the request for simple tips, something easy to focus on when standing over the shot. Maybe all I need is just one good chipping round to get my confidence back. Anything over 50 yards where I can hit pretty much a full swing isnt a problem, it's the delicate short shots that are killing me right now.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue May 31, 2011 8:49 am

Hi d4s,

I had a lesson at the beginning of the year which has improved my chipping greatly.

The main take away was to take the club away on the correct line (i was coming away on the inside)... which i'm sure you already doing, but the other was when the club has reached the end of the the back swing, just allow gravity to return the club head to the ball, don't force it dont push or pull the club through just let it happen. The wrists don't need to break, and the forearms don't need to rotate (for the shortest chips). I have since had comments from people with significantly lower hc than myself, complimenting me on my 'touch' and saying how natural and relaxed it appears. Now i'm of 15 so i am prone to old habits creeping in but when i'm on song and taking in this advice myself i feel a can get up and down all day long Smile

Basically the whole action was simplified, this led me seek further advice on how this can be implemented throughout my game and its really worked (the basic principals have be applied to the long game), this year by PB has gone from 87 to 82 and my hc from 19 to 15.

The other thing helped with my chipping was what what i read in the 'short game bible' regarding ball placement, it said to have some practice swings and identify where your swing bottoms out, and put the ball in that position. For me me ball went back a bit which stopped by fat chips almost overnight, maybe your ball needs to be a bit further forward if a thin is your bad shot.

In summary, go back to the basics, let the weight of the club head propel the ball, don't force it... Hope this helps

Last edited by Rossa on Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 am

ah... different problem then. Sounds like a bit of a tin cup moment.

I would advocate this approach. Don't look at what you're hitting. Look at where you're hitting it to.

Focus on the result and not the action required to attain the result.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue May 31, 2011 8:59 am

drive,
i've been working hard on chipping and pitching this year after time away from regular golf. its definitely the thing that is taking most time to click. i've developed a decent technique on the range, but haven't yet properly converted this into on-course confidence. in competition i've regularly been reaching for the 9iron/7iron bump and run but had a couple of bounce games over the weekend where i gave the 52, 56 and 60 wedges a proper outing, making sure i chose the correct shot rather than the less intimidating one. results were mixed, mostly positive and will hopefully lead to more relaxed shot selection in the upcoming medals. yesterday i actually holed two chips with the 56! first one was not the best contact but landed in my target zone ten foot short of the cup and rolled in. the second was a perfect contact out of a deepish bunker - highly satisfying!! fingers crossed for some more magic in tomorrows medal.

as far as a tip goes, the thing i try to focus on when playing any chip/pitch/delicate or otherwise, is to swing by hinging at my elbows [rather than wrists] on the way back to make sure i'm keeping as much loft on the club, trusting the sequence to unfold from there. the other thing is keeping my eyes glued to the contact point on the back of the ball. pretty straight forward i know, but i never like to be thinking of more than 2 things when hitting a shot - makes my brain go fuzzy.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 am

The sharp tee in the glove waiting to stab you if you break is a good tip. A good practice routine I found was...start by gently (underarm) throwing balls onto the practice green. Progress to one handed (right) chipping then progress to 2 handed, grip light, no wristage breaking and turn the body through ball slightly. Don't forget the weight 60/40 - 70/30 forward I.e. On the left. See how much harder it is to flick through when your weigh is on your left side

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 am

Try using a longer club and just concentrate on hitting down - eg 5 or 6 in place of pw or sw. Not a lot of help flopping over bunkers but the rhythm just seems easier to establish and maintain. You will be less inclined to flip - which I reckon is a product of trying to assist the ball into the air rather than having the club do it.

btw will email you re Remedy for Summer return?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 am

puligny wrote:btw will email you re Remedy for Summer return?

Yes please!

Good holiday I trust?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue May 31, 2011 10:00 am

Is it just a problem when chipping over things ie a bunker? If not why not just try using a 7/6 iron? That way there aint much difference between a slight thin and a perfect strike.

Oh I see someone has nipped in before me!! Oh well imitation is the most sincere form of flattery or something like that.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue May 31, 2011 10:06 am

D4s - holiday fantastic - golf courses amazing, but whoever said golf gear is cheaper in the US got it wrong eg bought some nice new footjoys, when I got home. Much cheaper here!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 10:13 am

Hibbz

no, it's pretty much any chip though worse if I have to really slide the club under the ball to get over a bunker/water.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 am

Drive - I've been through putting and chipping yips - at one time both were simultaneous 🤦 Almost quit the game altogether it was getting so bad. I was either choking completely and could hardly bring myself to make a stroke or ended up hitting it miles past or thinning it through the green. It got to the point where playing partners felt embarrassed for me (and that ain't good). I've tried numerous putting grips, but what I've found helps is spot-putting - just roll it over a spot, keep your head down and try and get the pace right. Chipping - keep things simple; nice loose grip (I remember Watson recently even suggesting you use your putting grip for short just off the green stuff). Pick a spot and aim for it, keeping backswing smooth and follow through the same length. Don't be too hard on yourself and aim for the easy putt back zone rather than trying to chip everything stiff. Some advocate always using the same club; I'll happily use, hybrid, 5-iron, 7-iron, 8-iron, PW, Gap wedge, SI or lob-wedge for anything from 50 yards in not too mention ye olde Texas Wedge based on the concept 'your worst putt is never quite as bad as your worst chip'. I've found picking a spot and focussing on it stops too much 'paralysis by analysis' thumbsup
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 31, 2011 12:31 pm

D4S your just a bottler 🤦

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 pm

I like LJ advice of holding the hinge and a little more loft through impact. I have heard Mickleson talk about mastering this a couple of time.

The key is to get about 60% of your weight onto your left side and keep it there all the way through impact. If you have an image of your left hand staying ahead of the ball flicking at the ball should not be possible.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 pm

D4S

Your doomed I tell you, doomed

Started with me when I turned 40 and 24 years later its still there.
I went from 4 to 14 in the space of 6 years.
There is no lasting cure.

It's all in the wee area between your eyes and behind your forehead.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue May 31, 2011 2:09 pm

puligny wrote:btw will email you re Remedy for Summer return?

I'm supposed to be playing Remedy Oak, this Sunday.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Response to multiple people.............

Doc...... furious

DTW......... Sad

Merc..... enjoy, it's a beautiful place to play golf, heard on the grapevine that the greens are fantastic right now thumbsup

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support, I'll wear it always laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue May 31, 2011 3:22 pm

Drive, from the bottom of my heart I truly, madly, deeply hope you sort yourself out...... right after you've contributed towards my beer and curry next week Whistle
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:Drive, from the bottom of my heart I truly, madly, deeply hope you sort yourself out...... right after you've contributed towards my beer and curry next week Whistle

If I have a 10 yard chip from just off the green, I'll be pointing out the wildlife to you while I 'leather wedge' the ball onto the green Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue May 31, 2011 3:45 pm

I've noticed with some glee that Broadstone is a heathland course. The word 'heathland' conjures up images of Kate Bush circa 1978 cavorting around in a diaphanous gown singing 'Wuthering Heights' - don't know why?
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

try chipping kack handed until the confidence returns then switch back.
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:I've noticed with some glee that Broadstone is a heathland course. The word 'heathland' conjures up images of Kate Bush circa 1978 cavorting around in a diaphanous gown singing 'Wuthering Heights' - don't know why?

Did I not mention, she is a member there? See her in the bar just about every time I go in. Lovely girl, always comes over for a chat and a drink.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue May 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Another brunette on LJ's hottie list [queuethepantingsmilie]. I cannot wait to meet her randy Ahh wait no nookie before the Meyrick 36-holer...oh b*gger Cry
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 am

The three factors which have helped my chipping recently have been;

- to work really hard on keeping my head down and my eyes on the ball through impact

- to set and keep my hands slightly in front of the club face and my wrists firm (don't exaggerate this with a wedge, instead just use a lower iron!)

- keeping my stance narrow and shifting more weight on my left hand side at address (right hander)

I had the same problem as you mate...i'd play a few nice practice strokes, brushing the grass with a smooth, controlled stroke. Then when the time came to hit the shot, i'd get all out of control and end up flicking the ball with my right hand, and inevitably thinning it.

Keeping the hands forward should all but eliminate the thin. Keeping your head down and watching the ball should ensure a good impact.

Is there anything more demoralising than being 10ft off a green and failing to hit the dancefloor? No.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:01 am

The thing I notice most about bad chippers (and putters) is the lack of follow through.
Stabbing at a ball will offer no control at all, tempo is another issue. Poor exponents also seem to execute the shot very quickly whereas it ought to be smooth and controlled with no decelleration of the strike.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 am

aha, tempo. good call s_r. it's been so many weeks since i played i'd forgotten that one. i just count (very quietly, to myself) as i make the swing.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 am

super_realist wrote:The thing I notice most about bad chippers (and putters) is the lack of follow through.
Stabbing at a ball will offer no control at all, tempo is another issue. Poor exponents also seem to execute the shot very quickly whereas it ought to be smooth and controlled with no decelleration of the strike.

This is such a great point and I always find concentrating on a full follow through on even the shortest chip results in better contact. Watch Donald chip he seems to use a relatively long even rhythmical swing around the greens.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 am

Interestingly today on twitter Hank haney agreed that when chipping putting the club through the palms of you hands will remove the wrist break and improve connection. just tried it on the lawn at home and have to say its a good thing to try. Try it and see if it helps! Hug

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down