The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chipping...

+16
Doon the Water
BlueCoverman
Bob_the_Job
JAS
golfermartin
puligny
incontinentia
dynamark
barragan
navyblueshorts
1GrumpyGolfer
twoeightnine
kwinigolfer
gaelgowfer
super_realist
beninho
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chipping... Empty Chipping...

Post by beninho Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:03 pm

I am rubbish at chipping. Though to be fair i am not great at this whole golf malarkey anyway. But Chipping i am considerably worse at then anything else.

I can get my 3 wood into play most holes, but if i do not hit the green i am stuffed.

My two common chip shots problems are -
goes up, and then comes down about 5 feet from where i was. Not very good.
or the common thin straight through the green, or from one greenside bunker to the other.

So basically, any tips or advice?

Thanks!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Chipping... Empty Re: Chipping...

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

Happy to oblige.

I reckon my chipping is +2 or +3.

My advice is to stick with one technique. I use a 52 degree for virtually all chips except when I need to flop it, and get up and down about 8.5 times out of 10 from within 30 yards (anytime you need the advice Lee)

THe important thing is a smooth swing, held loosely near the bottom of your grip. Stand open, and closer to the ball than usual. Look where you want it to land (learn how far it runs out and check the break, it's amazing that I never see anyone lining up a chip) and adjust. Keep the head down through the stroke

*LONG FOLLOW THROUGH IS A MUST

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:11 pm

Feet together. Firm wrists. Let the rhythm flow!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

Hands in front of the ball to ensure a descending blow.
I also use a 52 degree, change the loft as appropriate for the shot, and always try to read the green. Crucial to visualise where you want the ball to land, and what you expect to happen as it rolls out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:26 pm

A couple of years ago I was shown chipping around the green with a rescue club. I'm pretty comfortable with my wedges but its much easier. You would be surprised how many occasions you can use it and from how far. Particularly good if you are below the green and have short sided yourself. Much easier than trying to land a wedge in a tiny area.

Try an experiment with six balls. Do 6 with a wedge and pace out the total distance of all 6 to the pin, then try the same with the rescue. Remember that you will not be used to it.

Technique is open stance, feel like the club is on your front foot and play like a chip and sweep it off the grass.

You won't get every one close but its much more confidence inspiring.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:29 pm

Hmm ... for someone who struggles in the chipping department, the very last thing I would advise them to use is a bleedin' gap wedge. It's ok if you know what you're doing with it re changing the loft as when necessary but my advice to beninho would be to use a 7 or 8 iron and hold it down the shaft.

I realise that a pitching wedge is the fashionable club to use for chipping but imo it really only works in the hands of experienced players.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:33 pm

Not sure sure Gael, I taught my dad how to do it, and he's off 11.

It's about finding the club you can be confident nipping off the turf. I even use it ON the greens at St.Andrews.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

Hope you remember to have the pin tended when you do that Super

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Feb 2013, 4:54 pm

The greens are 80 yards deep Grumpy, need to be Terry Wogan to putt on those greens

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm

Tips. Hmmm. Assuming I'm not having to float a shot over a trap or something similar, the only thing I absolutely make sure I do is have my hands lead the clubhead through impact.
As for clubs, I find it depends how I visualise the shot. I almost never use a 7-iron - on occasions that might call for it, for some reason I always fancy an 8-iron or 9-iron off the back foot to keep it lowish.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 19 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

s_r ... beninho's gives the impression from his post that he probably plays from quite a high h'cap if indeed he has one at all unless of course, he's just being modest. Very Happy

He also doesn't say whether he plays inland (most likely) or links. In the short term, it's important he concentrates purely on making a good stroke and the easiest way to do this is with a less lofted club.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 19 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

my chipping has come on a lot over the last few weeks. remains to be seen whether i will keep it going once the serious competitions start. chipping mainly with PW and 8 iron. occasionally get out the 6 iron or Sand Wedge. my issues were mainly mental, though also hampered by a slightly flawed technique. a guy who has recently joined our group pointed out that i had a very shallow takeaway. once i steepened it a fraction, all my issues evaporated. knocked 7 /9 chips to gimmie range in my last game - lovely.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 19 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

Only chip when you have to -get the ball on the green and rolling asap.If you'have to 'chip' be sure to be slightly ahead of the ball clean contact

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 19 Feb 2013, 6:03 pm

Ball back, hands forward, weight forward.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 19 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm

cheers all. as gael guessed I'm pretty high hc around 20. but your average inconsistent high hc player. 3 pars in 4 holes the other day then a variety of 6/7s. so many shots wasted from around the green. so basically just keep the ball back and hands forward and try a 7/8/9 iron. when I have a bunker in the way well my head just explodes!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 19 Feb 2013, 6:34 pm

I would only add one thing to the good advice already offered. Make sure you accelerate through the ball. Without jerking or snatching it is important that the downswing has some speed added, which helps avoid the duff and ideally lengthens the follow through, as I think Super said.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm

One thing nobody has mentioned is the need to practice. When I first started playing golf, I was around 20 and a student. When at home all I used to do was chip a ball around my back garden (which was only about 12 yards on the diagonal). I still chip indoors on the carpet along the length of the living room a distance of about 8 yards. I use a battery operated putt retrun machine as a target.

I tend to chip mostly with the pitching wedge and gap wedge, occasionally with a sand wedge and very occasionally with a 9 iron. I'm not as accomplished as others who have given advice on this thread. I play off 8.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:08 pm

From your original post Beninho it sounds like there could be a bit of flicking/wrist breaking going on.

A common fault is the player feeling HE/SHE has to get the ball in the air...no...the loft of the club does that for you, trust it.

Firm wrists, weight more on forward leg and let the club do the work and as Puligny indicates, make sure you accelerate through the ball. There's a lot of sound advice above....basket of balls to the chipping green and get a feel for what the different bits of advice do for you.

If you get your chipping technique working then practice to ingrain it your scores will plummet. It'll build confidence right through your game (e.g. less pressure on approach shots because you'll be more confident about getting up & down if you do miss a green.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:12 pm

golfermartin wrote:One thing nobody has mentioned is the need to practice.
^^^^^^^^
Good point! Chipping is something anyone can do but it still rewards practice, as much as you can get. Wish I'd realised this when I was a junior trying to perfect that flushed, drawn 3-iron picard.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Feb 2013, 7:54 am

JAS wrote:From your original post Beninho it sounds like there could be a bit of flicking/wrist breaking going on.

A common fault is the player feeling HE/SHE has to get the ball in the air...no...the loft of the club does that for you, trust it.

Firm wrists, weight more on forward leg and let the club do the work and as Puligny indicates, make sure you accelerate through the ball. There's a lot of sound advice above....basket of balls to the chipping green and get a feel for what the different bits of advice do for you.

If you get your chipping technique working then practice to ingrain it your scores will plummet. It'll build confidence right through your game (e.g. less pressure on approach shots because you'll be more confident about getting up & down if you do miss a green.

So true JAS, I chip/pitch with a 52 but even from 30 yards it barely goes above waist height, I play the 52, not for the height of shot but for the spin I can impart with it. I just about end myself laughing when I see someone trying to get a ball above head height from 10 yards and try and land it softly by the hole and for the hilarious show of petulance and incredulity when it inevitably doesn't work.

I think Golf is the one "sport" in which people never ever learn from mistakes or from watching others. Peoples choice of shot is 9 times out of 10 is absolutely abyssmal, regardless of handicap they just expect very difficult shots to come off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm

One tip I was given once was to practice chipping wearing a watch on your left wrist, and with a pencil pushed under it. The pencil is set so the nice sharp lead point is level with the middle of the back of your hand..

This sure stops you from trying to scoop the ball with your hands Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 20 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

That could only be an Irish tip. Blood poisoning anyone? Wink

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 20 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:That could only be an Irish tip. Blood poisoning anyone? Wink

Luckily carbon is not toxic for hyrdocarbon based life forms, so at least 80% of the contributors to this board should be ok. Not sure about the other 20% though... Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 20 Feb 2013, 3:06 pm

beninho wrote:cheers all. as gael guessed I'm pretty high hc around 20. but your average inconsistent high hc player. 3 pars in 4 holes the other day then a variety of 6/7s. so many shots wasted from around the green. so basically just keep the ball back and hands forward and try a 7/8/9 iron. when I have a bunker in the way well my head just explodes!!

Good advice from Gael and remember David Thomas nearly won two Opens with the same bunker affliction.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

David Thomas just received Lifetime Membership of the European Tour. Imagine he felt it was a bit late in his day.
Sadly a bit of a forgotten man on this side of the lake.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

The nights are beginning to lengthen Wink managed to get just over half an hours practice after work before it got dark and my hands froze last night.

Just a small point, I used to wear my glove all the time (laziness), last year I flirted with taking it off for putting, following the same "more feel" theory, it's now coming off for chipping too. Just interested what others do glove wise?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

off for chipping and putting OK

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:30 pm

Off for putting - on for everything else.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

Off for everything. Don't do golf gloves.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:32 pm

JAS wrote:The nights are beginning to lengthen Wink managed to get just over half an hours practice after work before it got dark and my hands froze last night.

Just a small point, I used to wear my glove all the time (laziness), last year I flirted with taking it off for putting, following the same "more feel" theory, it's now coming off for chipping too. Just interested what others do glove wise?

Interesting JAS, I have always chipped, pitched and putted with no glove and then last year got rid of the glove completely. I think it's an affectation. My golf in 2012 was probably the best it's been, also never wear a hat either unless it's a beanie in winter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

i wear a visor to keep the rain out of my glasses Cool

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:55 pm

I am another that goes bareback (is there any other way??) all the time when it comes to the glove. What does it add?

Once you play a round or two without a glove it feels like you are wearing an oven mitt if you put a glove back on.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

I take my glove off to putt but reckon it started as an affectation because I saw someone else do it.

"Feels" weird if I putt with it on now but pretty sure I'd get use to it fairly quickly and without any change in results were I to try.

In the same way I suspect I'd get used to not wearing one at all were I to try it.

All this "feel" stuff makes me wonder. Can a very thin piece of leather really have any affect?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:53 pm

Gave up with gloves many years ago. Thought having one brown hand and one white one looked stupid! Hasn't made much difference to my play.

When I wore one I always took it off to putt, but that was based on the fact that that is what most pros did.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

gloves are intended to improve friction between hand and club during full shots with high speed motion...obviously you don't need this for more delicate shots, so why bother. i notice a massive improvement in grip when wearing a glove for full shots - probably because i've got such sweaty paws monkey i'm sure there is an optimum temperature where wearing a glove isn't necessary, but this kind of situation only comes along once in a goldilocks (not too hot and not to cold...just right), so i'll stick to being one of the affected!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:51 pm

The basic requirement for super effective pitching and chipping is a wide bouncy bottom.

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

PlaneCrazy wrote:The basic requirement for super effective pitching and chipping is a wide bouncy bottom.
You think that's why Shane Lowry is so good?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:39 pm

incontinentia wrote:
PlaneCrazy wrote:The basic requirement for super effective pitching and chipping is a wide bouncy bottom.

Don't know about that, but it certainly makes Matt Kuchar stand out from the chipping crowd...

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

PlaneCrazy wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Don't know about that, but it certainly makes Matt Kuchar stand out from the chipping crowd...

Since when? He's ranked 5 places below Westwood in scrambling this year, and everyone knows how rubbish Lee is at chipping.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
PlaneCrazy wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Since when? He's ranked 5 places below Westwood in scrambling this year, and everyone knows how rubbish Lee is at chipping.

Maybe Matt doesn't have to scramble as much as Lee. Statistics are like mini-skirts and all that...

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

PlaneCrazy wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
PlaneCrazy wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Maybe Matt doesn't have to scramble as much as Lee. Statistics are like mini-skirts and all that...

Now we know you're stupid.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
PlaneCrazy wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
PlaneCrazy wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Now we know you're stupid.

Very mature response. So by saying "we know you're stupid", I take it you have conferred with everybody on this forum and come to a unanimous decision ? Deary, deary me Doh

Actually, all I was trying to say in the first place before the snide remarks started was that the basic requirement of a good short game is a wide bottom of the swing arc using the bounce of the club to help you along. Only trying to help, without getting invloved in who has got a longer shaft than whomever. I really don't care if Shane Lowry or lee Westwood have better scrambling statistics. All I am interested in is making the next shot better for all golfers. Either you're with that or you're not. No need to start spouting bile at any opportunity.

Just saying like...

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

If you don't understand that the amount of scrambling a player has to do has no impact on his standings in the statistics (they're percentages, you see) then stupid pretty much covers it.

I'm no more interested in a Wee weeing contest than you are, I just happened to find your assertion that Kuchar stood out as a chipper to be ridiculously biased, so threw in a name I found above your favourite in the stats who is well known to be lacking in that department of the game. And also well known to be among the most accurate, another reason why your suggestion that Matt might need to scramble less could be considered daft (although they're pretty similar in the GIR stats this year).

The consensus on this forum is that you have a snake oil like agenda to promote, so I didn't need to consult to know what people think. Whether it be in terms of religion or golf, believers are generally pretty stupid people when it's clear there's no rational founding for their beliefs but they stick to them anyway.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm

"The consensus on this forum is that you have a snake oil like agenda to promote, so I didn't need to consult to know what people think"

Is that not a complete contradiction of beliefs in the same sentence ?

Never mind, like I said, I only want to see golfers hitting their next shot better. I am prepared to offer advice to those who are interested. Obviously you are not one of them and have completely missed the point of my original reply. So fair enough, it's obviously not for you and your agenda on here.

Keep spouting bile and you'll be alright, I'm sure.

Yours
Stupid

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

I consider myself a fairly proficient golfer but what does:

a wide bottom of the swing arc using the bounce of the club to help you along

actually mean?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:08 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:I consider myself a fairly proficient golfer but what does:

a wide bottom of the swing arc using the bounce of the club to help you along

actually mean?

Good question....

Coming down into the ball at a very steep angle can result in the leading edge of the club digging into the ground. In the same vein, realising that you are coming down at a very steep angle can cause a reaction and pulling up out of the shot, resulting in a bladed effort over the green. On the other hand, if you come into the chip at a shallow/wide angle, the bounce will slide the club underneath the ball, even if the head impacts the ground first, giving incredibly much more room for error. Using these principles you can even hit long chips with your sand wedge from the tightest of lies without taking any divot and producing very clean strikes. See Zach Johnson last year - can't remember the tournament and can't be bothered checking up what it was on the PGA Tour, but he hit a sand wedge from the green instead of putting and there was no damage at all to the green. He played that shot stiff to the hole.

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:52 am

Thanks for the explanation, I understand what you meant now.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:23 am

I think many people over anakyse everything in golf, even chipping it seems.

Keep it simple guys. See the shot and hit your target. Do the practice and forget about the attack angle etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaneCrazy Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:41 am

super_realist wrote:I think many people over anakyse everything in golf, even chipping it seems.

Keep it simple guys. See the shot and hit your target. Do the practice and forget about the attack angle etc.

I'd agree with that. If it's effective and you get the desired result then don't fix it.

PlaneCrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

I chipped in yesterday from around 50yards short of the green. It's been a long time since i holed anything longer than a greenside chip. Great feeling!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next