The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch Stripped Of WBA Title

+12
catchweight
mobilemaster8
rapidringsroad
DuransHorse
ShahenshahG
Mr Bounce
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
Nico the gman
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

Froch Stripped Of WBA Title Empty Froch Stripped Of WBA Title

Post by hampo17 Fri 08 May 2015, 11:48 am

MARBELLA, Panama (AP) — British boxer Carl Froch has been stripped of his WBA super-middleweight belt because of a failure to defend his title since last May.

The WBA says Fedor Chudinov and Felix Sturm will fight for the vacant title on May 9 in Germany.

Froch hasn’t fought since beating George Groves in an all-British bout at Wembley Stadium on May 31. Since then, an attempted fight with Julio Chavez Jr. in Las Vegas fell through.

The WBA says in a statement that Froch will be the mandatory challenger for super champion Andre Ward if the American boxer beats Paul Smith in a non-title fight on June 20. Ward beat Froch in 2012.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Froch Stripped Of WBA Title Empty Re: Froch Stripped Of WBA Title

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 May 2015, 11:53 am

Sturm ?????????????????????????????

Heavens above................When will be rid of the useless turd..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 May 2015, 11:55 am

Who gives one about the 'Regular' belt anyway

Nice to see Ward is keeping the 'Super' belt after longer inactivity and he's not defending it anytime soon.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 08 May 2015, 12:02 pm

Froch wants a rematch with  Ward so would imagine the mandatory position will suit him.

Double standards with regard to Ward, take as long as you like son, if you don't fancy fighting for a while, no worries your belts safe.

These governing bodies are about as honest as the Tory party, OOP's I apologise about the last remark.

Agree with you Truss about Sturm, more lives than a cat, average fighter and that's all.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 08 May 2015, 12:35 pm

Froch beat George Groves in front of 80,000 at Wembley??

I didn't know that

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 May 2015, 1:20 pm

Nico the gman wrote:Froch wants a rematch with  Ward so would imagine the mandatory position will suit him.

Double standards with regard to Ward, take as long as you like son, if you don't fancy fighting for a while, no worries your belts safe.

These governing bodies are about as honest as the Tory party, OOP's I apologise about the last remark.

Agree with you Truss about Sturm, more lives than a cat, average fighter and that's all.

Don't think we'll see Froch again.............

The longer you are out the harder it is especially at that age..

In my Top 3 of the best British Boxers I've seen since 1990......With Hamed and Calzaghe..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 May 2015, 2:35 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Froch beat George Groves in front of 80,000 at Wembley??

I didn't know that

He keeps it pretty quiet

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 08 May 2015, 2:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:Froch wants a rematch with  Ward so would imagine the mandatory position will suit him.

Don't think we'll see Froch again.............

The longer you are out the harder it is especially at that age..

In my Top 3 of the best British Boxers I've seen since 1990......With Hamed and Calzaghe..

... Quite. What with lewis being Canadian and everything.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 08 May 2015, 4:20 pm

Got to love the WBA standards here. "Hasn't defended since May last year so gets stripped". Fair enough. But their so-called "super" champion hasn't defended since Nov 2013 (may not be his fault but neither is Froch's situation) and his next fight is a non-title affair!

Yes Ward is the best SMW etc, but he should've been stripped last year going by the same logic as taking the belt off Froch today. Agree now that we probably won't see Froch in the ring again though.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 08 May 2015, 4:33 pm

Sad quiet end to an excellent career. He's an irritating narcissistic c*nt but he deserved to go out with a massive win - a glorious send off.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 08 May 2015, 5:38 pm

Shah, don't know if your aware but boxingfan and milky will fill you in on what might have been his last fight/big send off.

I understand if you didn't know, it was a quiet affair and it's not something Froch talks about.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 08 May 2015, 5:41 pm

I think i'd have heard about by now. He was commentating on a fight the other day and didn't mention it once

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 5:44 pm

If I was Eddie I'd be at Carl's house whispering in his ear "Five times World Champion, Carl...five times, FIVE...TIMES.... like that wrestler Booker T! Now can you dig that...SUCKAAAAAAA"*

*I wouldn't, I'd be going to the toilet and sneaking off to rifle through Rachel's underwear drawer

Back to top Go down

Froch Stripped Of WBA Title Empty Foch stripped of title

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 08 May 2015, 10:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sturm ?????????????????????????????

HeHe did beat De la hoyaavens above................When will be rid of the useless turd..

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 08 May 2015, 10:31 pm

Don't know what happened there,but Sturm did beat De la Hoya despite what the judges said.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 09 May 2015, 12:18 pm

Yeh about 600 years ago mate

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 May 2015, 12:32 pm

rapidringsroad wrote:Don't know what happened there,but Sturm did beat De la Hoya despite what the judges said.

Berbick beat Ali..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 09 May 2015, 1:09 pm

Paul Smith to fight the winner of Sturm/Chudinov hopefully.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 09 May 2015, 1:20 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I think i'd have heard about by now. He was commentating on a fight the other day and didn't mention it once

It's on a need to know basis shah. Hush hush. I'd send you a pm but I signed a confidentiality agreement.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 09 May 2015, 1:21 pm

Fingers crossed Catchy, nice to see the Brits finally getting their due Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 09 May 2015, 3:05 pm

Can only third that, let's hope smith finally gets the breakthrough chance he deserves.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Tue 12 May 2015, 12:34 pm

Seems like Froch is gearing up to retire...

Ultimately he's going to retire as second best at his weight.

As much as he's had a good run and everyone likes to point out the high profile fights he's had back to back he hasn't had the competition of super middle eras gone by.

I don't think time will be particularly kind to Froch's legacy unless he avenges the ward defeat or looks to take a fight at LHW.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 May 2015, 12:39 pm

The 168lb division was the strongest it has ever been and he fought them all, not sure when exactly the competition was stronger nor do I think history will be unkind to him when Benn and Eubank are still so fondly remembered.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 12 May 2015, 1:29 pm

I'd tend to agree with you HH. The only problem for Froch, which is quite out of his control is how infrequently
Ward has fought. I personally think Ward is a special talent, just wish he had had the fights to prove this to the world. If Ward had done this I think people would be willing to be accepting of the fact there is no great shame to being number two to him.

If we accept this there is plenty to be positive around Froch, wins of the likes of Kessler, Abraham, Dirrell, Bute and Groves may not be out of the absolute top drawer but when one considers they were not punctuated by the gimme defences many go for, were frequently in excellent or memorable fights and included a refreshing willingness to travel on Froch's part I think fans will look back on Froch's career and time with some nostalgia. I certainly will.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 12 May 2015, 1:53 pm

All the above are fair comments re froch but, let's not forget the super 6 forced his hand in terms of opponents. If we credit him for going in it, we credit them all. Let's not also forget that there's an argument he lost to a prime Kessler and beat a more shop worn one. I'd question his divine right to number 2 in the division, even though he has better wins on his record than Kessler.

Regardless, it's a commendable record, not filled with the usual chaff. I think history will treat him kindly and deservedly so.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 12 May 2015, 1:57 pm

The super six did force his hand to an extent milky, but for me Froch has enough in the ledger to suggest he was willing to take the tough fights by nature. He twice signed to fight Denis Inkin in his pre title days when Inkin was considered a danger man. Also took on Bute straight out of the super sixes, when nobody would have begrudged him a seemingly less arduous assignment.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 May 2015, 2:03 pm

He entered the super six by choice, saw it through to the end and had to fight away from home four times during it before which he fought Taylor and Pascal then Bute, Kessler and Groves twice after it. He took the 0's of four very good boxers along the way, as Jeff says Inkin messed him about royally before he finally got his shot.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 12 May 2015, 2:19 pm

... A less arduous assignment being not for a belt realistically, though rowley. I'm sure he'd watched the Andrade bute fight with interest and figured there was a protected homey ready for the plucking. Seanus claims to be the only one to have called that fight but a few of us are on record as giving Carl every chance (didn't expect him to walk through him though that's for sure)

Froch certainly never looked for easy options. Given how often guys are milked and steered clear of any seeming threat, he certainly deserves credit for not being one of them.

Hammy, we've had this out a few times. Who turned down the super six? Bute? He claims he wasn't asked. I'm not giving froch a stack of credit for being in it.

Groves 2 was a huge fight in the uk because of groves 1. Groves 1 wasn't seen as a huge risk by most. Just a reasonable money spinner.

I am actually giving the guy credit, just you'd think he was picking out the biggest possible threats at every opportunity to maximise legacy over revenue.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 May 2015, 3:37 pm

Anyone who thought Groves was going to be a walk in the park can't have watched either of them fight before, it turned exactly as predicted. Groves using his speed to build up a lead (knockdown and general beating was unexpected) before Froch starts to walk him down and take him out (poor refereeing accepted). I did also pick him to manhandle Bute in fairness, using the gulf in class of their opposition as a pretty big factor, too many I felt got caught up in their respective performances against Glen Johnson.

In an era where so many avoid any sort of risk you can't have anything but admiration for someone who has fought everyone of note in his division, not many can claim that nowadays.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 12 May 2015, 7:47 pm

I dont think Froch has ever had much say in his career until now. Hes fought the fights he had to, rather than ones he wanted to because he hasnt really had much alternative. Much the same as he talks about being a warrior who wants to scrap it out, but really I think he just doesnt have an alternative. Against Abraham when he was able to box safe and win, he did it. When Ward and Dirrell did it to him, he complained they boring and lacked the warrior spirit.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 13 May 2015, 11:56 am

You appear to be suggesting he's a hypocrite catchy. An outrageous slur.

I'm looking forward to the warrior seeking out a final fight against golovkin. Because the tougher the assignment the better.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 13 May 2015, 7:17 pm

Well if I was accusing him of being a hypocrite I would have mentioned his stance on Calzaghe not giving him a shot in favour of taking on a retirement fight while Froch vacated his title instead of fighting Degle so he could line up Chavez.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 May 2015, 7:21 pm

I think Froch deserved an easier fight with Chavez..........

Just beaten his mandatory.........

Is there anyone you do like ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down