The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

+4
mckay1402
westisbest
RDW
George Carlin
8 posters

Go down

Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Empty Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Apr 2015, 7:30 am

Fairly bored, so what I wanted to know is what everyone's impressions have been about famous players whom they've met.

It would help if:

(a) you could place the meeting in context - when and where; and

(b) views could be substantiated, rather than suggesting (for example) that "X just seemed to be a large set of ladyparts".

From my own perspective:

- my wife and I sat next to Jason 'Funbus' Leonard and Mrs Funbus at a central London restaurant - they were both gracious, intelligent and fairly hilarious.

- I spoke with Gavin Hastings at an SRU charity event - I was expecting him to be a bit of a plank to be honest, but he really was very bright and a very good conversationalist.

- met Tim Horan and Michael Lynagh at Hong Kong 7s - they had partaken of a few mineral waters at the time, but still were very good value and knew much more about NH rugby players that I would have thought.

- met Thomas Castaignède at the Stade de France - he was very chirpy and bright - perhaps helped by the fact that I was with Mrs GC who is not only very beautiful but has French as a first language. Hmm.

- met essentially the entire Welsh team on a corporate jolly at the Millenneum - it was quite a heavy night on the free claret but I remember Jamie Roberts being as bright as you would expect a doctor to be, JD2 being very humble and enthusastic and Adam Jones being hilarious.

So all in all, good experiences.

The other true story I have is a friend who was on date in a Melbourne restaurant and realised that he'd forgotton his wallet and couldn't pay. After 10 minutes of pooing himself somewhat, a waiter told him that a feller at the other table had taken pity on him and settled his not inconsiderable bill on his behalf.

The name of that kind benefactor? David Ian Campese.

Over to you.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Empty Re: Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by RDW Thu 23 Apr 2015, 9:49 am

I'm sure we've had a thread on this recently, but can't find it! Headscratch

I've mentioned in the past about meeting the great man that is Chris Paterson, and my other half turning into a giddy schoolgirl at a 1D concert.

Another story is when I was at the Raeburn in Stockbridge - Edinburgh's Greig Tonks, Grayson Hart and Sam Beard were there with Grayson's dog Ardie. They were sitting in one of outside seating areas and the dog ran over to a group of ladies and jumped up on their table, causing them to fawn over the dog.

Over walks Grayson and sits at their table and starts chatting away, apologising profusely for the dog but secretly praising him for doing as he was meant to do!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Empty Re: Top Players in Real Life - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by westisbest Thu 23 Apr 2015, 10:29 am

I met Kieran Dawson at the Bournemouth 7's few years back.

He was playing in one of the teams.
Had a good chat with him about his Ireland playing days.
Came accross as a really nice guy.

I had had a fair few pints by then.
He wanted to know where to go in Bournemouth that night.
My mate knew the bouncer of a club and said he could try and get them in.

I never made it into town that night.

Always a few current/ex players there, but never met any others than Dawson.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:37 am

I've met Dylan Hartley a couple of times and he is a really great bloke. He does loads for charity and is very friendly and personable. Also shook Gareth Edwards hand once...softest hands I've ever felt
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm sure we've had a thread on this recently, but can't find it! Headscratch

Here it is me old shiner. George have a read through this if you feel bored:-

https://www.606v2.com/t55870-nicest-pro-rugby-player-you-have-ever-met

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:54 am

I met the Blade three years ago. He was coming out of a lift I was trying to get into it. He's put on a lot of weight since the playing days and suggested I step aside and let him out first. I reminded him that he had said that a number of times by then and I was still waiting for him to emerge.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Apr 2015, 11:59 am

LordDowlais wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm sure we've had a thread on this recently, but can't find it! Headscratch

Here it is me old shiner. George have a read through this if you feel bored:-

https://www.606v2.com/t55870-nicest-pro-rugby-player-you-have-ever-met
Ah, very good. Raises the question of how long it is acceptable to leave old topics before introducing them again.
I don't want to be like Nicola Sturgeon with referendums or anything*.

* before anyone starts: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100075516/referenda-or-referendums-theyre-both-right/
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 23 Apr 2015, 9:18 pm

I saw Chris Paterson in our local Tesco Metro. I didn't talk to him or anything and he didn't do anything embarrassing like slip on a banana that was on the floor.
What a quality anecdote.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 24 Apr 2015, 8:30 am

Had the fortune of meeting most London Irish players over the last few years...the following were all top blokes and very friendly. All of the guys who played in the side that was successful (Kennedy, Casey, Danaher etc) were all absolute gents. David Paice I have met a couple of times for longer chats and he is a really top bloke who asks questions and doesn't just let you quiz him, which is nice - feels like a two way conversation.

Of the younger lot and more recent departures, Lahiff and Homer were really nice guys. Unfortunately, I felt that some of the other guys had slight attitude problems and a certain arrogance...

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down