The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD.

+22
Jermaine2015
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
skiddy
MustPuttBetter
1GrumpyGolfer
hend085
LadyPutt
Shotrock
raycastleunited
Be_the_ball
beninho
McLaren
John Cregan
GPB
sirbenson
SmithersJones
super_realist
pedro
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
Davie
I'm never wrong
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD. - Page 3 Empty Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD.

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 03 Apr 2015, 9:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now that Tiger has declared that he will play in the masters, I thought I would create a thread where we can chat about The Masters, without hijacking another thread. (Not that Tigers' declaration is the be all and end all, but you know what I mean)

Anyway, my point is this. here is a list of previous champions who intend to play.
Cabrera, Angel
Couples, Fred
Crenshaw, Ben
Immelman, Trevor
Johnson, Zach
Langer, Bernhard
Lyle, Sandy
Mickelson, Phil
Mize, Larry
O'Meara, Mark
Olazabal, Jose Maria
Schwartzel, Charl
Scott, Adam
Singh, Vijay
Watson, Bubba
Watson, Tom
Weir, Mike
Woods, Tiger
Woosnam, Ian

I reckon no more that 6 will make the cut. I know the history and the heritage of The Masters, but I think several of the above should just turn up for show. Play an exhibition 9 holes as someone mentioned in the past.

Last edited by I'm never wrong on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD. - Page 3 Empty Re: Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD.

Post by hend085 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:02 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:telling me what I had been watching on the other channel.
Hate this as well. Some people watch it all through!!! This is why I dislike programmes that recap whats gone on before the ad break, after the ad break. I know!!! I've been watching!!!! Use the time you've just wasted to tell me more about what you're showing.

the beeb do it once or twice per day. SKY do it every 6 minutes!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD. - Page 3 Empty Re: Masters chat thread - PLEASE USE KWINI'S BALLWASHER THREAD.

Post by beninho Tue 07 Apr 2015, 4:52 pm

Beeb bashing already.

the Par 3 contest was first shown in 2008. In 2009 the BBC showed the Par 3 contest and also Amen Corner live. I cannot find the coverage they had for 2008. So it seems that whatever the masters allowed to be viewed, was shown on the BBC when it had full exclusive coverage.

The Masters has changed what it shows, and allowed more coverage, it had nothhing to do with the BBC.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm

Corey Conners (US Amateur Runnerup) is from Canada and gets paired with past champ Mike Weir.

Bradley Neil (Amateur Champ) is from Scotland and gets paired with past champ Sandy Lyle

Antonio Murdaca (Pacific Asian Amateur Champ) is from Australian and gets paired with past champ Adam Scott.

Matias Dominguez (Latino Amateur Champ) is from Chile, and gets paired with past Champ Angel Cabrera.

The International Amateurs gets paired with past champs from their home country (or continent with Dominguez/Cabrera). 

Dominguez said that golf is getting a lot exposure in Chile after winning the Latino Amateur.  I can't help but think that is a good thing for golf growth.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

Ran across these excerpts about "The Man Who Made the Masters"  Clifford Roberts.

The Man who Made the Masters

http://www.armchairgolfblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-man-who-made-masters.html

http://www.armchairgolfblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-man-who-made-masters-part-2.html

http://armchairgolfblog.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-man-who-made-masters-conclusion.html

"Regardless of his faults—and they were many—he made the Masters Tournament what it is today, the greatest golf event in the world"

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:04 pm

Interesting stuff GPB.  I think you missed part three

http://www.armchairgolfblog.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-man-who-made-masters-part-3.html

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:15 pm

beninho wrote:Beeb bashing already.  

Makes a change from Sky bashing

I don't believe the rules have changed that much in the last 10 years over how much "live" golf can be shown - just Sky have the bandwidth to devote more time to special features, interviews on the range, past Masters highlights and discussion about practice days. BBC never would (could) show that much, in the days of terrestrial only coverage - but with digital bandwidth they could do it all ... but they wouldn't

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:55 pm

Tiger to play the par 3 contest. With TWO caddies!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:00 pm

Masters coverage here in the USA doesn't start until 3 pm Augusta time which is unheard in the 21st century.  If I could wave a magic wand and change anything about the Masters, it would be more TV Coverage.

Of course there is internet coverage, but that is not as good as High Def TV.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:51 pm

BBC wrote:reigning Masters champion Bubba Watson admits he "must improve as a man" after being voted the most unpopular player on the PGA Tour.
Good luck. Fingers Crossed

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:07 pm

Are we going to see Gerry hug a gay?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:56 pm

Rory was asked about his par 5 troubles around the par 5's and gave a bit of a confusing answer.  He said he had 9 iron into 13 and 15 in last years final round but got too aggressive. Really??

Can you get too aggressive with a 9 iron?

Anyway, he went on to say he will aim for birdies and not eagles this time around.  He certainly needs to play better on the par 5's.

(Rory was level on the par 5's last year. Gerry was -8 on them)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:18 am

A member of boy band Wand Erection on the bag for Rory in the par3 contest?? Is this an April Fool joke a week too late?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:38 am

McLaren wrote:Rory was asked about his par 5 troubles around the par 5's and gave a bit of a confusing answer.  He said he had 9 iron into 13 and 15 in last years final round but got too aggressive. Really??

Can you get too aggressive with a 9 iron?

Anyway, he went on to say he will aim for birdies and not eagles this time around.  He certainly needs to play better on the par 5's.

(Rory was level on the par 5's last year. Gerry was -8 on them)

From what I could gather from his press conference his logic was he missed out on birdies on the par 5s as was trying to gain shots on the field by making eagles and ended up making pars or worse. Gerry played the 5s in 8 under evidently, Rory in level. Bubba finished 8 shots ahead of Rory and won it. Ergo...........

I'm not sure it's quite that simple but fair enough thinking I guess
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:38 am

pedro wrote:Tiger to play the par 3 contest. With TWO caddies!

His 'littles' as he called them?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:50 am

Davie wrote:A member of boy band Wand Erection on the bag for Rory in the par3 contest?? Is this an April Fool joke a week too late?
I am guessing here Davie, but could they just be mates? I don't know anything about 1D, but could they be of similar ages/interests?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:52 am

I think Mcilroy would win even more often if he was less aggressive on par 5s when hes not playing at his best. I always get the impression hes trying to play the perfect shot as opposed to playing the percentages. The hole where he threw his club into the lake being a good example. He tried to play a high fade with water on the left. After the round he said when he was trying to fade it, it was drawing and vice versa. So then why play a high fade over water?

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:15 am

Par 5 scoring is very often the key.
When Tiger was on top it was mainly due to his par 5 scoring, year in year out.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:35 am

Have you noticed Tiger is smiling more and seems to be more engaging? now he's playing the par 3 contest. Makes one wonder if he's changing tack, or trying the laid-back approach to see if that helps.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:07 am

incontinentia wrote:Have you noticed Tiger is smiling more and seems to be more engaging? now he's playing the par 3 contest. Makes one wonder if he's changing tack, or trying the laid-back approach to see if that helps.
Charm offensive? Or sponsors asking for him to be nice as he may not be around much longer....?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2015, 11:21 am

Maybe tiger knows he is nearing the end and is trying to show he could be an engaging announcer or analyst.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Maybe tiger knows he is nearing the end and is trying to show he could be an engaging announcer or analyst.
The new Ivor Robson perhaps?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:32 pm

incontinentia wrote:Have you noticed Tiger is smiling more and seems to be more engaging? now he's playing the par 3 contest. Makes one wonder if he's changing tack, or trying the laid-back approach to see if that helps.

vomit vomit vomit
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:29 pm

Really hoping Martin Kaymer can win the Green Jacket, but my hot favourite is American youngster Jordan Spieth.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:22 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Really hoping Martin Kaymer can win the Green Jacket, but my hot favourite is American youngster Jordan Spieth.
I'd like that too Jermaine. Unfortunately I don't think Augusta is Martin's favourite track. Spieth is looking like the next Jack Nicklaus.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:38 am

Rory by 3 plus- This course is tailor made for him. Hopefully he doesn't have a mental blackout again..

Spieth to me looks more like the new Faldo(potentially) than the new Jack. He does everything well- nothing outstanding. His career could end up like Luke donalds if his lack of length gets to him mentally . Or he could win one and then once that first major is out the way he could get a few - but He isn't up there with Rory or Jack..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:55 am

It would be cool if Rory could win this week mysti, he's the bookies favourite but not many of his fellow pros or the pgatour.com experts think he will. As long as there is drama on Sunday I'm not bothered who wins... even if it's Bubba!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:07 am

skiddy wrote:I think Mcilroy would win even more often if he was less aggressive on par 5s when hes not playing at his best. I always get the impression hes trying to play the perfect shot as opposed to playing the percentages. The hole where he threw his club into the lake being a good example. He tried to play a high fade with water on the left. After the round he said when he was trying to fade it, it was drawing and vice versa. So then why play a high fade over water?

yep he did it a lot last year at the masters - went for the high fade in pressure situations and turned it over - which smashes it straight left. Its not the best pressure shot if it isn't your natural one- and when the adrenaline is pumping it can go very long and left . I think it was last year that he played that shot a few times - I specifically remember him having a 9 iron into the par 4 10th and he smashed it straight left and long. That is also the hole that started of his melt down a few years ago when he was loads of shots clear of the field and he got an 8 or something from a pulled drive into the trees.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:29 am

What's your favourite Masters moment?

Tiger Woods chip?
Pine straw Mickelson?
Larry Mize chip?
Gene Sarazen's albatross?

Mine is Woods' chip- iconic.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:37 am

Nick faldos second play off win on the trot to award himself the green jacket.

One of my childhood sporting highlights.

Woods chip was the most Iconic though.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:48 am

My first real memory was when Faldo came back at Norman. I like the moment when big Angel hit a tree, was it in a playoff, and bounced into the fairway.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:53 am

ben

I had to watch Faldo's comeback against Norman on VHS the next day as I wasn't allowed to stay up to watch the end. I think I was only in p6, so was sent to bed somewhere on the front 9.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:00 am

At least now we know that Streelman won't win the Masters...

(he won the par 3 contest...)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:01 am

incontinentia wrote:What's your favourite Masters moment?

Tiger Woods chip?
Pine straw Mickelson?
Larry Mize chip?

Mickelson for me though it is somewhat tainted by the fact he missed the putt.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

Tom Watson and Mickelson had dinner together at the champions dinner. In an exclusive interview with pgatour.com Tom Watson reveals what they talked about:

Interviewer: "Last night when you saw Phil Mickelson inside the Champions Dinner how was your interaction with him?”

Watson's response: " I said hello.”

Long pause.

Interviewer: " And?”

Watson: "He said hello back.”

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:04 am

hend085 wrote:

Tiger Woods chip?
Pine straw Mickelson?
Larry Mize chip?

Mickelson for me though it is somewhat tainted by the fact he missed the putt.

To take out LW1, that was horrible. but a great shot.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:28 am

I think LW1 described that round with Phil Mickelson as a 5 hour short game lesson.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:31 am

I liked the McIlroy and Garcia hug on the 12th in 2012
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:31 am

Eyetoldyouso wrote:I think LW1 described that round with Phil Mickelson as a 5 hour short game lesson.
Most of us could give LW1 a short game lesson.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

pedro wrote:
Eyetoldyouso wrote:I think LW1 described that round with Phil Mickelson as a 5 hour short game lesson.
Most of us could give LW1 a short game lesson.

Even Tiger?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:13 pm

Not sure why everyone loves Woods's chip on #16. Davis Love had done the exact same thing a couple of years before and no-one cared.

PS: Good to see mysti back from Selhurst Park . . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

If Watson wins again this year measures may have to be taken to Gerry-proof Augusta. I imagine the greencoats were slightly embarassed after Blubba had 140 yards left to the green on the par 5 13th last year.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:32 pm

incontinentia wrote:If Watson wins again this year measures may have to be taken to Gerry-proof Augusta. I imagine the greencoats were slightly embarassed after Blubba had 140 yards left to the green on the par 5 13th last year.
Not too sure. They probably love it when a god bothering ignorant bigot wins.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 09 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

How am I going to fit everything in this week on TV? As well as The Masters, there's the Chinese Grand Prix (all 3 practice rounds, plus qualifying and the actual race recorded on Sky+ but how to avoid knowing the result?), the first round of the FIA World Endurance Championships from Silverstone on Sunday (Sky+ set to record highlights on Tuesday next week, ditto the same comment above) and rugby union from France and Wales/Ireland, not to mention Masterchef (I already have to watch last night's episode which was on at the same time as the Par 3 contest before I can watch tonight's) and Poldark! furious
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 2:05 pm

Why don't you just watch the Masters and not bother with all that other rubbish you mention?! Wink Wink Wink

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 09 Apr 2015, 2:44 pm

Tiger Woods chip?
Pine straw Mickelson?
Larry Mize chip?

1986:  YES SIR!!!!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 2:53 pm

No PED's in US Golf? I see meth on the leaderboard...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 09 Apr 2015, 3:20 pm

pedro wrote:No PED's in US Golf? I see meth on the leaderboard...

He'll get some crystal for an eagle.........

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 09 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

Good start for Poults - don't have him in my picks or betting slip but I'd love to see him go low

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 3:31 pm

ralphjohn69 wrote:
pedro wrote:No PED's in US Golf? I see meth on the leaderboard...

He'll get some crystal for an eagle.........
Hope he cracks par and smokes the grass.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 3:31 pm

Davie wrote:Good start for Poults - don't have him in my picks or betting slip but I'd love to see him go low
Before you'll know it, it'll be just him and Tiger....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next