The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today.

+21
easthfc
erictheblueuk
legendkillar
Kay Fabe
ReallyReal
monty junior
Crimey
marcellus wallace
slyadams
PINEAPPLEHEAD
tso4karma
sodhat
marty2086
Fernando
AberdeenSteve
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Hodgey
Irrational
dublfcynwa
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today. Empty The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today.

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2011, 6:34 pm

The has been alot of talk over the past 24 hours about the current Barca team being THE best ever. However I strongly believe that the UTD team of 99 would have given them a real match last night. I honestly feel that that team missed a trick by only winning the one Champions League. The midfield of Keane, Beckham, Giggs and Scholes, all at their peak, would have graced any side in world football...ever. Not to mention Nicky Butt in reserve.

Their attacking quartet of Yorke, Cole, Sherringham and Solskjær would have given any defence major problems and they were mean at the back to with Stam and Johnsen a brilliant pairing infront of the superb Schmeichel.

As a Liverpool fan I am writing this with gritted teeth but I genuinely believe that the 99 side would of tested Barcelona to their limit.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading.

Back to top Go down

The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today. Empty Re: The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 29 May 2011, 6:42 pm

The 99 side would have tested Barca to the fullest with their ability to get the ball out wide and get great service into great finishers in the box. Not many teams since have been able to get crosses in to finishers like that since that team.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today. Empty Re: The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today.

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 30 May 2011, 10:50 am

No i don't think so. Let's be honest here Bayern dominated united in that final and if it was'nt for two jammy deflection's at the end they would not have won. So imo this Barca team would hammer them and would hammer any of the great side's over the last 30 year's.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Irrational Mon 30 May 2011, 1:37 pm

This Barcelona team is the greatest team of our generation, period.

As brilliant as the '99 cohort were, I don't think any team gets close to this Barca team.

Irrational

Back to top Go down

Post by Hodgey Mon 30 May 2011, 1:49 pm

Barcelona are simply the best the world has ever seen. There is no need to compare them with any side as Barcelona will always win.

Hodgey

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 1:49 pm

Irrational wrote:This Barcelona team is the greatest team of our generation, period.

As brilliant as the '99 cohort were, I don't think any team gets close to this Barca team.

You're probably right but the United team of '99 had something that not many teams have just now. Beckham and Giggs used to put excellent service into the box and when you have any 2 of Cole, Yorke, Sherringham and Soskjaer they would stand a chance.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 30 May 2011, 6:16 pm

Unlike in '99, too many of those in the team and on the bench on Saturday night had gone past their 'best before' dates.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 6:23 pm

Past their best before date?

In 99 they were treble winners.
This year they have won the league, been beaten in the Champions League final by the best club team in over a decade at least. Doesn't sound like 2 teams with too many players past their best.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 30 May 2011, 6:25 pm

Giggs, Scholes....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2011, 6:34 pm

If the worst Arsenal team in over a decade can beat Barca, albeit at home, then I am sure that the 99 United side could have had their number.

Barca are without question the best side I have ever seen but they are beatable.

It was interesting to read Guardiola's comments regarding the early 90's Barca team. He said that that side was better than the current one. I can remember the 1993/4 Champions League when Barca were battering everyone before them...until they ran into the proverbial brick wall called A.C Milan and took a 4-0 hammering.

As good a manager Alex Ferguson is he can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Giggs, Scholes....

That's 2 players and Scholes never even started. Remember a team starts with 11 on the park.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 30 May 2011, 7:23 pm

I think the 99 team would have beaten todays team. The space that Giggs and Beckham would have had in behind Alves and Abidal would have been ridiculous and like previously mentioned they were both outstanding deliverers of the ball. Yorke and Cole v Mascherano? No chance!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 30 May 2011, 7:34 pm

steve if everyone was fit it would be puyol and pique at the back.

i don't think utd would get the ball tbh and they lacked pace at the back so could see pedro and messi causing them alot of issues

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 30 May 2011, 7:35 pm

PrettyboyKev - I did start my post 'Unilike in '99 ....'. I was trying to make the point that whilst those in '99 were at or approaching their peak, too many of those playing on Saturday evening (or sitting on the bench ready to replace them) were past their best.

I accept that 'their best' was at a very high level and that they were still more than good enough to win the Premier League this season. Players I'm definitely thinking of are Van der Sar, Giggs, Scholes and Owen. I was also going to include Ferdinand and Evra but suspect I've annoyed you enough already which honestly was never my intention! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 7:36 pm

A midfield of Keane and Scholes would have seen a lot more of the ball than Giggs and Carrick managed to.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 30 May 2011, 7:39 pm

prettyboykev wrote:A midfield of Keane and Scholes would have seen a lot more of the ball than Giggs and Carrick managed to.

barca would still have the extra man in midfield so id doubt that OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 7:42 pm

Keane had a bit more about him than Carrick and Scholes at his best was every bit as good as Xavi imo. I'm not sure the team of 99 would beat Barca but they would have a right good chance.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 30 May 2011, 8:09 pm

even still 3 against 2 in the middle of the park is going to lead to alot of barca possession and with the pace of the front 3 for barca i could see it ending 3-1

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 30 May 2011, 8:24 pm

I would see Barca winning but I think it would be a bit more competitive than the weekend especially the 2nd half.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2011, 8:48 pm

There is no way a midfield driven by a peak Roy Keane would have been dominated the way it was Saturday night. Michael Carrick offered absolutely nothing.

You wouldn't have seen David Beckham running around like a headless chicken all night ala Antonio Valencia who lacked basic discipline.

Yorke and Cole's movement would have caused their centre backs no end of problems.

That United side were never all about possession football but when they had the ball they made good use of it.

But will Barca do what no side has done and retain the champions league?

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 31 May 2011, 11:03 am

People make the point that Utd were lucky to beat Bayern in 99 but Bayern were lucky to get out of the group. They drew with United in Germany thanks to a last minute goal that shouldn't have been allowed but I think the point the first post made is that the 1st choice Utd team were up there amoung the best and that was a team that included Keane and Scholes who didnt play in the final.

The original poster also left out the fact at full back they had Irwin and Neville.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 31 May 2011, 11:58 am

It would have been a much closer run thing in my opinion, but I would still make Barcelona favourites to win it.

The United side of '99 would have pressed much more in midfield which seemed to be lacking on Saturday, and I do think that the speed with which they countered teams would have given Barca trouble.

Prime Giggs and Beckham against Alves and Mascherano? It would have been a long night for the full backs.

Equally, how would the United defence handle Messi coming from deep and the movement of Pedro and Villa? Not something they would have been so accustomed to and they might eventually get picked apart.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today. Empty The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today.

Post by tso4karma Tue 31 May 2011, 11:31 pm

Knowing that Bayern Munich battered Manchester for the best part of 85 minutes hitting bars and upright and only for united to fluke 2 goals in the end Doh
tso4karma
tso4karma

http://fatloss4idiots.com/?hop=zebra2inc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

tso4karma wrote:Knowing that Bayern Munich battered Manchester for the best part of 85 minutes hitting bars and upright and only for united to fluke 2 goals in the end Doh

Can you explain how they "fluked" two goals at the end? From what I remember United scored two goals to Bayern's one making them worthy winners.

Back to top Go down

Post by PINEAPPLEHEAD Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:06 am

BAYERN WERE THE BETTER TEAM IN THAT FINAL OVERALL AN THIS BARCELONA TEAM R LOT BETTER SO I THINK MAN UTD HAVE NOT MUCH CHANCE.

PINEAPPLEHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by slyadams Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:40 am

People talking about how Bayern were the better side in the 99 final seem to be forgetting that United were without Scholes and Keane, the beating heart of that side. Let's see Barca without Xavi and Iniesta and see if they'd be the same side, I doubt it. The fact that United won that final under such adversity is a testament to how good they really were because they passed the test. A test this Barca side hasn't taken yet.

My heart says the 99 side would win it, but my head says that 99 were a hard 4-4-2 outfit and as good as Scholes and Keane were they would get outnumbered in the middle.

slyadams

Back to top Go down

Post by tso4karma Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

@Slyadam

Look the following season (2000) Bayern Munich got to the semi's in 2001 they won it... United never saw another Semi's until 2002 and they were knocked out by Leverkusen! That shows how strong United were with or without Roy keane and Paul Scholes!!!!!
tso4karma
tso4karma

http://fatloss4idiots.com/?hop=zebra2inc

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

no comparison barca hands down imo.compare against the ac milan side of late 80's early 90's would be fairer

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by slyadams Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:32 am

tso4karma wrote:@Slyadam

Look the following season (2000) Bayern Munich got to the semi's in 2001 they won it... United never saw another Semi's until 2002 and they were knocked out by Leverkusen! That shows how strong United were with or without Roy keane and Paul Scholes!!!!!

I forgot that the measure of a team in a given year is how they fare the next year. I guess barca 2009 were average because they didn't even make the final in 2010.

Incredible.

slyadams

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:23 am

slyadams wrote:
tso4karma wrote:@Slyadam

I forgot that the measure of a team in a given year is how they fare the next year. I guess barca 2009 were average because they didn't even make the final in 2010.

Incredible.

Not the same at all though, is it? They still got pretty far in the competition, while the United side of '99, like tso4karma said didn't even make the Semis again until 2002, with pretty much the same side for at least a couple of these seasons. It's not the best measurement, but I think it works, and the fact that Barca since '08 has been; semi-final, winners, semi-final, winners shows that they aren't average.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

I dont think so, Real, Bayern and Valencia were all better teams from that time period.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:44 pm

Typical arrogance from Utd fans, ask the same question to 1 million fans who don't hate or support either team and you'd get 1 million answers exactly the same, the current Barca side are miles ahead of Utd'99 thumbsup

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

monty junior wrote:I dont think so, Real, Bayern and Valencia were all better teams from that time period.

There is a case for Bayern and Real being a better team but Valencia?

Last edited by FreekShow on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 14 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

Between what period? Valencia for me where one of the top teams in Europe between 99-02, great fast entertaining team full of top quality players

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:05 pm

I look upon that Messi is an inspiration to Barcelona side, like Keane was to Utd. I look upon it that Keane could have done a job on Xavi.

Stam at that time was probably the best centre half in the world at that time and could've marked Villa out of the game.

I have reservations whether Beckham would have the pace to trouble Abidal.

A Giggs (at his pomp) would give Alves a run for his money.

I think looking at Messi and looking at the Man Utd defence at that time with the likes of Berg and Johnsen, don't think they could've lived with the pace.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Between what period? Valencia for me where one of the top teams in Europe between 99-02, great fast entertaining team full of top quality players

That exact period gaf. Utd played Valencia four times during that time. The results read 3-0 to united and three draws. 0-0, 0-0, and a 1-1 with a Wes Brown o-g being the only Valencia goal during the series. All group games I must add.

You are right Valencia were an excellent team with Mendieta pulling the strings.

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:12 am

Without Messi I still think Barca are the better team but it's worth discussion. With Messi only in your dreams are the Manu 99 team anywhere near.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

Barca are much much better and I'm a man u fan

This Barca team are the greatest team ever imo. Man U of 99 pretty far from the greatest team ever.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

Are you for real! Laugh

Bayern was with minutes of beating you and had the better of the game.

Barca would smoke them am afraid. Wishful thinkin

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

FreekShow wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:Between what period? Valencia for me where one of the top teams in Europe between 99-02, great fast entertaining team full of top quality players

That exact period gaf. Utd played Valencia four times during that time. The results read 3-0 to united and three draws. 0-0, 0-0, and a 1-1 with a Wes Brown o-g being the only Valencia goal during the series. All group games I must add.

You are right Valencia were an excellent team with Mendieta pulling the strings.
Yeah they had a great team, Mendieta, Canizares, Pellegrino, Gerard, Angulo, Kily Gonzalez and Claudio Lopez, Albelda was also a top player, they where unlucky not to win the CL in that period, they didn't turn up against Real in the first final until they went 2 down and i felt they where the better side against Bayern in 01 but Germans and penalties eh, there wasn't many teams IMO better or more entertaining than Valencia in the 5 years from 99-04

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Yeah they had a great team, Mendieta, Canizares, Pellegrino, Gerard, Angulo, Kily Gonzalez and Claudio Lopez, Albelda was also a top player, they where unlucky not to win the CL in that period, they didn't turn up against Real in the first final until they went 2 down and i felt they where the better side against Bayern in 01 but Germans and penalties eh, there wasn't many teams IMO better or more entertaining than Valencia in the 5 years from 99-04

thumbsup

I was at Anfield when they beat us 1 - 0 in the champs league and they were one of the best team I'd seen Liverpool play live at that point.

Although we did have a couple of chances, Valencia played some fanastic football.

This team didnt even have Mendiata playing.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

Celtic played them in late 01, I was over in Valencia for the game, I've never seen us so outplayed ever, our Goalie who was a donkey had the game of his life ane we managed to get out of there only 1-0, still can't believe that

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Thats being kind to donkeys.we nearly put them out to it went to penalty shootout

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

Yeah the atmosphere inside Celtic Park that night was only rivaled when Liverpool and Man Utd came up

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

Lesser teams than the United 99 team have and will go on to beat this Barca team in the foreseeable future. The whole purpose of my original post is whether that United side would have given them a game, not beaten them or whether they were a better side.

It's important to remember this. Do I believe that United side was as good as the current Barca team? No but that United side was a whole lot better than the mob that Beat this current crop of Barca players in the 08 semi-finals.

The problem, in my opinion, is that the Barca of today are fresh in everybody's memories. Go back a decade and a half and we would be calling the AC MIlan team that waxed Barcelona in 94 the best team ever. I'd even say the Ajax team that won the 95 Champions League would have given this Barca team a game.

In 10 years time we will probably see another club of a similar standard to Barca sweeping all before them and we will be drooling over them no doubt but that doesn't make them unbeatable.

Inter Milan showed the way last year and despite what you say about smothering tactics and negative football that team proved there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As I said I believe the United team of 99 onwards missed a trick by not winning more Champions leagues. Whether that is down to bad management or poor aptitude I don't know. But even I, as a Liverpool fan, know a brilliant side when I see one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

FreekShow wrote:Lesser teams than the United 99 team have and will go on to beat this Barca team in the foreseeable future. The whole purpose of my original post is whether that United side would have given them a game, not beaten them or whether they were a better side.

It's important to remember this. Do I believe that United side was as good as the current Barca team? No but that United side was a whole lot better than the mob that Beat this current crop of Barca players in the 08 semi-finals.

The problem, in my opinion, is that the Barca of today are fresh in everybody's memories. Go back a decade and a half and we would be calling the AC MIlan team that waxed Barcelona in 94 the best team ever. I'd even say the Ajax team that won the 95 Champions League would have given this Barca team a game.

In 10 years time we will probably see another club of a similar standard to Barca sweeping all before them and we will be drooling over them no doubt but that doesn't make them unbeatable.

Inter Milan showed the way last year and despite what you say about smothering tactics and negative football that team proved there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As I said I believe the United team of 99 onwards missed a trick by not winning more Champions leagues. Whether that is down to bad management or poor aptitude I don't know. But even I, as a Liverpool fan, know a brilliant side when I see one!

Am sorry but I also grew up and watched Man U's dominance in the 90's and can remember that team perfectly. But its still not a patch on this current Barca side. Its about and opinions and doesnt matter how you spin it, you would never convience me otherwise. Closet Manc perhaps?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:17 am

Man United

GK 1 Peter Schmeichel (c)
RB 2 Gary Neville
CB 5 Ronny Johnsen
CB 6 Jaap Stam
LB 3 Denis Irwin
RM 11 Ryan Giggs
CM 7 David Beckham
CM 8 Nicky Butt
LM 15 Jesper Blomqvist
CF 19 Dwight Yorke
CF 9 Andy Cole

Barcelona

GK 1 Víctor Valdés
RB 2 Daniel Alves
CB 14 Javier Mascherano
CB 3 Gerard Piqué
LB 22 Éric Abidal
DM 16 Sergio Busquets
CM 6 Xavi (c)
CM 8 Andrés Iniesta
RF 7 David Villa
CF 10 Lionel Messi
LF 17 Pedro

Enough said thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

Please !

Seven of this Barca side are current World and Euro Champions with the Spanish national team. If that wasn't enough they then add greatest player on the planet to the team.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Lesser teams than the United 99 team have and will go on to beat this Barca team in the foreseeable future. The whole purpose of my original post is whether that United side would have given them a game, not beaten them or whether they were a better side.

As I said I believe the United team of 99 onwards missed a trick by not winning more Champions leagues. Whether that is down to bad management or poor aptitude I don't know. But even I, as a Liverpool fan, I know a brilliant side when I see one!

Closet Manc perhaps?

That's put me off my dinner! I'd rather follow Hercules. The Manchester United Team Of 1999 v The Barcelona Team Of Today. 732107

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:57 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:Please !

Seven of this Barca side are current World and Euro Champions with the Spanish national team. If that wasn't enough they then add greatest player on the planet to the team.

Then please! accept my apologies for raising the question. I look forward to watching Barcelona win the next three Champions leagues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next