The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Vs. Ulster

+27
The Great Aukster
TJ
dragon4life
GavinDragon
BigGee
MrsP
GLove39
rumpelstiltskindoh
Rory_Gallagher
JmD
greygoose
PenfroPete
glamorganalun
VinceWLB
Standulstermen
Cardiff Dave
wayne
theshanker
stevetynant
scrummy
Luckless Pedestrian
marty2086
Notch
Pete330v2
The Saint
neilthom7
Don Alfonso
31 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Dragons Vs. Ulster - Page 4 Empty Dragons Vs. Ulster

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Venue: Rodney Parade, Newport
Date: Sunday, 8 March
Kick-off: 17:15

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU)
Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Martyn Lewis (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)
TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

Newport Gwent Dragons: Geraint Rhys Jones; Tom Prydie, Jack Dixon, Ashley Smith, Hallam Amos, Dorian Jones, Jonathan Evans; Boris Stankovich, T. Rhys Thomas (c), Brok Harris, Andrew Coombs, Cory Hill, James Thomas, James Benjamin, Nick Crosswell.
Replacements: Rhys Buckley, Phil Price, Lloyd Fairbrother, Matthew Screech, Scott Matthews, Luc Jones, Carl Meyer, Ashton Hewitt.

Ulster: L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave (capt), M Stanley, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Ross, N Williams.
Replacements: J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, L Stevenson, R Diack, P Marshall, S Arnold, R Scholes.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Dragons Vs. Ulster - Page 4 Empty Re: Dragons Vs. Ulster

Post by BigGee Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:33 pm

For a lot of teams it is actually the squad players that can make or break the season. In some ways that makes the Pro12 relatively meritocratic as the more successful the team, the more players they are likely to give up internationally and that has the effect of evening out plenty of the games.

I actually like this system as it gives young and up and coming players the chance to show what they can do and potentially make the grade. I have been very impressed with the Glasgow youngsters that faced up to Munster in the second half of that game. It may be the making of some of them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm

What does everyone think of Hendersons late charge on Jones couldnt see it properly from my seat but looked a yellow at least?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm

dragon4life wrote:What does everyone think of Hendersons late charge on Jones couldnt see it properly from my seat but looked a yellow at least?

Yellow for me if you mean the last ruck -the ball was long gone and he just dived into the ruck

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

I ment when our 10 cleared it and your 6 hit him late

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:37 pm

And ref went to tmo

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:41 pm

BigGee wrote:For a lot of teams it is actually the squad players that can make or break the season. In some ways that makes the Pro12 relatively meritocratic as the more successful the team, the more players they are likely to give up internationally and that has the effect of evening out plenty of the games.

I actually like this system as it gives young and up and coming players the chance to show what they can do and potentially make the grade. I have been very impressed with the Glasgow youngsters that faced up to Munster in the second half of that game. It may be the making of some of them.

Wales and Ireland have been the most successful teams of the last few years in the NH. I would say the Pro 12 has played a big part in this. Look where France are with their much vaunted kicking contest top 14? Italy has gone better too with the pro 12 even if that doesn't reflect on Treviso and Zebre's results. Least said about Scotland the better!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

VinceWLB wrote:That handoff from Amos

Devereux-esque.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

dragon4life wrote:What does everyone think of Hendersons late charge on Jones couldnt see it properly from my seat but looked a yellow at least?

Some refs wouldn't even have given a penalty but i could understand the decision in the light of Landman's act. Henderson could definitely have slowed down but he didn't hit Jones really hard to be honest.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

BigGee wrote:For a lot of teams it is actually the squad players that can make or break the season. In some ways that makes the Pro12 relatively meritocratic as the more successful the team, the more players they are likely to give up internationally and that has the effect of evening out plenty of the games.

This is a good point. Often the dragons are urged to target the international periods as we have fewer call ups to the international game. But we have fewer call ups for a reason - our players are not as good! So in reality the call ups level the playing field to a certain extent and we get more competitive fixtures between the haves and the have nots at these times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:39 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
The Saint wrote:That mishap between the centre's there was an absolute howler. Has there been a late change due to injury?

For me there was a man taken out which created the gap.

Yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Just shown the replay yes Smith taken out, up to the Dragons captain to ask the question.

Not up to the captain at all. A TMO can alert a ref to look at possible foul play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Amos did not want to kick as he keeps being charged down

What every kick? Such garbage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

JmD wrote:Anyone has time to stop if you watch it in slow enough motion. Oh well, I'm sure he will be banned for 6 months.

Was a yellow minimum. Landman rightly got hung out to dry on here, so where's the reaction for a clear shoulder to the head? I remember some people saying about the big fuss being made about concussion etc, so I hope when I read on I see some balance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm

The Saint wrote:Was he allowed to even take that quick lineout?

I said at the time it looked formed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:51 pm

VinceWLB wrote:

Some refs wouldn't even have given a penalty but i could understand the decision in the light of Landman's act. Henderson could definitely have slowed down but he didn't hit Jones really hard to be honest.

Landman didn't hit Carty hard and it went shoulder first, then head. But he rightly got red and a long ban for intent etc. Henderson knew what he was doing and should get around a 4 week ban.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm

Anyway, I was reading through. Hard lines Ulster supporters. I consider quite a few of your supporters, friends and I am still shocked we won today. Really surprised, no matter how poor Ulster were.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 08 Mar 2015, 7:57 pm

The Henderson one were the ref went to the TMO was well handled. He could have pulled out but it was a collision of bodies at no real pace. I don't know did he fly into a ruck dangerously so can't comment on it but the late hit was well dealt with and I would be astonished if anything came of it. 

The only danger of a YC for it was as a cumulative penalty which came the next one

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:02 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:Just shown the replay yes Smith taken out, up to the Dragons captain to ask the question.

Not up to the captain at all. A TMO can alert a ref to look at possible foul play.

Smith must have known he was blocked and held he should have complained via the his captain they had nothing to lose, it was clear on the replay but not real time. The TMO don't always see incidents just like the late tackle on Jones, the crowd via ref highlighted that one.

I thought the Dragons were very good including the defence (always better when Smith plays) and a solid set play. Amos came into his own in the second half when the kicking stopped, he and the full back linked well for a cracking try.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Don't tell me your heart was not in your mouth.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm

Well done to the Dragons. Only one winner on that field today. Almost all Ulster's senior players including Pienaar and Cave went missing and were lucky to come away with a LBP.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm

Griff wrote:It was great to see Hewitt drawing the tacklers before passing. Nothing special. Pretty simple in fact. Just something that seems to elude attacking teams a lot these days. He held the drift and allowed Amos the chance to split the two defenders and create the overlap.

It should be automatic for a player, but it isn't any more. Initially I was just shouting for him not to kick it, but then as you say he drew the man. A lot of players would have thrown the pass straightaway and cancelled out the space.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Don't tell me your heart was not in your mouth.

No, as I don't tend to watch players expecting them to make mistakes. Anyway, does he get charged down every kick as you suggest? Four charge downs out of how many kicks? Keeps happening aye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm

Standulstermen wrote:The Henderson one were the ref went to the TMO was well handled. He could have pulled out but it was a collision of bodies at no real pace. I don't know did he fly into a ruck dangerously so can't comment on it but the late hit was well dealt with and I would be astonished if anything came of it. 

The only danger of a YC for it was as a cumulative penalty which came the next one

From what I saw off the big screen it looked like a shoulder to the head. Granted I had a few Guinness on board, but it isn't easy to see our big screen always and it looked pretty clear. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Smith must have known he was blocked and held he should have complained via the his captain they had nothing to lose, it was clear on the replay but not real time. The TMO don't always see incidents just like the late tackle on Jones, the crowd via ref highlighted that one.

I thought the Dragons were very good including the defence (always better when Smith plays) and a solid set play. Amos came into his own in the second half when the kicking stopped, he and the full back linked well for a cracking try.

A TMO's job is surely to watch for foul play, or what do they do unless called upon? Just sit back and enjoy the game?

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:41 pm

Don't think so risca. Saw it a few times and the contact was primarily torso on torso. If it had been more I think Phillips would have went for the yellow immediately but it was a fairly meaningless collision (albeit a late one).

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:02 pm

As I said, our screen isn't easy to see so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm sure Dudley was on his best behaviour after the Leinster coach's views last night haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:07 pm

Did O'Connor have a moan too? Can't wait to hear Doaks thoughts

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:The Henderson one were the ref went to the TMO was well handled. He could have pulled out but it was a collision of bodies at no real pace. I don't know did he fly into a ruck dangerously so can't comment on it but the late hit was well dealt with and I would be astonished if anything came of it. 

From what I saw off the big screen it looked like a shoulder to the head. Granted I had a few Guinness on board, but it isn't easy to see our big screen always and it looked pretty clear. Happy to be proven wrong though.

There was no contact to the head, he bumped into him. The contact was arms to torso. Any ban would be a mockery.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Don't think so risca. Saw it a few times and the contact was primarily torso on torso. If it had been more I think Phillips would have went for the yellow immediately but it was a fairly meaningless collision (albeit a late one).

Much ado about nowt, I would say. No intent other than a little nudge as a reminder and let's get back to the kicking tennis.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

Risca Rev wrote:As I said, our screen isn't easy to see so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm sure Dudley was on his best behaviour after the Leinster coach's views last night haha.

Get rid of the huge tv screens I say.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:51 pm

JmD wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

There was no contact to the head, he bumped into him. The contact was arms to torso. Any ban would be a mockery.

Agreed, just late made to look worse as his arms were high but minimal contact. That was a costly mistake as it lead to a yellow a few minutes later.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:58 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm not optimistic ahead of this game, but if I was, it wouldn't be groundless optimism. We scored three tries against Connacht despite being down to 14 men for most of the game (yes, I know we lost); we scored three tries against Zebre and had opportunities to score a fourth (yes, I know we lost). Our pack will give anyone a game and we have dangerous players in the backs.

In conclusion: an away win. OK

Just remembered. Up the three tries Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 08 Mar 2015, 11:07 pm

Who was MOTM I was watching BBC2NI to get an unbiassed (maybe not) commentry?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 12:02 am

James Thomas, our 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:00 pm

Will Humphreys be cited for not using his arms in the tackle?

(probably not as he didn't use any other part of his body in the tackle either!)

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:

Landman didn't hit Carty hard and it went shoulder first, then head. But he rightly got red and a long ban for intent etc. Henderson knew what he was doing and should get around a 4 week ban.

I was at the game yesterday Risca, and as soon as I saw it i thought it should be a red.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 09 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Will Humphreys be cited for not using his arms in the tackle?

(probably not as he didn't use any other part of his body in the tackle either!)

laughing

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

Also Risca, I was talking to one of the locals yesterday and I was commenting on how impressed I was with Jonathan Evans, and he told me that he was off to Bath next season, what the feck is going on there, is this true ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

Another citing coming for Ulster?

15 jail terms and a bench?

Season is going downhill fast.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Also Risca, I was talking to one of the locals yesterday and I was commenting on how impressed I was with Jonathan Evans, and he told me that he was off to Bath next season, what the feck is going on there, is this true ?

Bath are already getting an advance on their non-capping system that's coming in in about two years time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Also Risca, I was talking to one of the locals yesterday and I was commenting on how impressed I was with Jonathan Evans, and he told me that he was off to Bath next season, what the feck is going on there, is this true ?

Darren Edwards is Bath backs coach. He's 'poached' Evans from his old club.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:03 pm

Griff wrote:

So it's true then, the guy I was talking to said Dragons could not offer him the same amount as Bath were offereing him, this is getting rediculous now, we must not let young tallent like this slip from our regions. steam

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:we must not let young tallent like this slip from our regions. steam

Careful Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Don't be letting words slip from your tongue....they can be dangerous when slipping and sliding in dark regions of the mind Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:

So it's true then, the guy I was talking to said Dragons could not offer him the same amount as Bath were offereing him, this is getting rediculous now, we must not let young tallent like this slip from our regions. steam

But will he get game time at Bath? It's a big gamble for him. But seeing as Bath just signed Matawalu then I imgaine he won't be first choice. Looking at their squad they also have Cook and Peter Stringer on the books, although perhpas someof them are leaving?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

Peter Stringer is leaving for sure.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Mar 2015, 4:00 pm

Munster should seriously take him back. He still has a lot to give. He'd yelp and bum slap those forwards into line in the absence of Murray.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 09 Mar 2015, 4:04 pm

Ulster should sign him!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 09 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

I think he will go to Leinster as cover during the World Cup.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Mar 2015, 4:15 pm

I don't care where he goes then as long as it's home. He's done long enough as an exile..................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 09 Mar 2015, 4:38 pm

But who'll buy George his ice cream?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down