The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Vs. Ulster

+27
The Great Aukster
TJ
dragon4life
GavinDragon
BigGee
MrsP
GLove39
rumpelstiltskindoh
Rory_Gallagher
JmD
greygoose
PenfroPete
glamorganalun
VinceWLB
Standulstermen
Cardiff Dave
wayne
theshanker
stevetynant
scrummy
Luckless Pedestrian
marty2086
Notch
Pete330v2
The Saint
neilthom7
Don Alfonso
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Dragons Vs. Ulster Empty Dragons Vs. Ulster

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

Venue: Rodney Parade, Newport
Date: Sunday, 8 March
Kick-off: 17:15

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU)
Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Martyn Lewis (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)
TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

Newport Gwent Dragons: Geraint Rhys Jones; Tom Prydie, Jack Dixon, Ashley Smith, Hallam Amos, Dorian Jones, Jonathan Evans; Boris Stankovich, T. Rhys Thomas (c), Brok Harris, Andrew Coombs, Cory Hill, James Thomas, James Benjamin, Nick Crosswell.
Replacements: Rhys Buckley, Phil Price, Lloyd Fairbrother, Matthew Screech, Scott Matthews, Luc Jones, Carl Meyer, Ashton Hewitt.

Ulster: L Ludik; C Gilroy, D Cave (capt), M Stanley, M Allen, I Humphreys, R Pienaar; C Black, R Herring, W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Ross, N Williams.
Replacements: J Andrew, A Warwick, B Ross, L Stevenson, R Diack, P Marshall, S Arnold, R Scholes.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Dragons Vs. Ulster Empty Re: Dragons Vs. Ulster

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

Any Dragons fans out there to offer an opion on that team? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

Interesting to see how Stanley goes at 12 for us, extra kicking option in midfield adn a good passer from what we briefly seen of him last week

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm

Decent team from us, not sure why Benjamin is selected at 7 though, worst 7 I've seen since Sowden-Taylor. I hope we give U20 Ollie Griffiths a trial soon. We should be okay in this one so long as we don't get a red card.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:05 pm

The Saint wrote:Decent team from us, not sure why Benjamin is selected at 7 though, worst 7 I've seen since Sowden-Taylor. I hope we give U20 Ollie Griffiths a trial soon. We should be okay in this one so long as we don't get a red card.

I think you'll find that's our red card, hands off

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:13 pm

Looking forward to seeing how Arnold goes, and hopefully Scholes will get a decent run out.

Strong looking team on paper, but if we play like we did against Embra? We couldn't play that badly again. I think we will win, with 2 yellows, 1 red, and 4 citings Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:30 pm

Yup, look out, here come the Ulster thugs....we're vile.....apparently Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

I'm looking forward to this one, if we can get the upper hand in the set piece we have a lot of ball carrying threat in the back row and it'll be interesting to see how Stanley goes, looks like he has a good pass and kicking game but he's not a small bloke either... exciting.

The concern is we're still very vulnerable at the breakdown against a team that is savvy enough. I think Henderson has improved a lot in his contribution in the rucks, but even still. Also a potential lack of leadership on the pitch.

Dragons have not done particularly well at home this season, they are always a difficult nut to crack for us over there but its a game we really need to be winning to keep the momentum going. Leinster face a tough away game and Munster and Ospreys play each other so we can't really afford to slip up!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:58 pm

The Saint wrote:Decent team from us, not sure why Benjamin is selected at 7 though, worst 7 I've seen since Sowden-Taylor. I hope we give U20 Ollie Griffiths a trial soon. We should be okay in this one so long as we don't get a red card.

I think we've worked a deal whereby there are two red cards n every game we play, but they don't have to be for Ulster players necessarily, so watch out...

Delighted to hear your seven is rubbish as well. Clive Ross... well, he's a trier... I feel bad slagging him off... but...

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:16 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:

I think we've worked a deal whereby there are two red cards n every game we play, but they don't have to be for Ulster players necessarily, so watch out...

Delighted to hear your seven is rubbish as well. Clive Ross... well, he's a trier... I feel bad slagging him off... but...

Could be worse Don Mike McComish seemingly gets lost on his way to every ruck he arrives that late, maybe we need to draw him a map

Last edited by neilthom7 on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

It annoys me when we give one of the youngsters a crack at 7 and it's Benjamin over Matthews. Matthews is a much better 7 and has made more of an impact in games when he has replaced Benjamin. Nice to see Phil Price on the bench, so the Barrel doesn't have to try and cover loosehead again. Bit worried we have no real ten cover again.

For our starting team, great to see Coombs back. I'm not really convinced by our halfbacks, but then a lot of Dragons fans seem to be a fan of Dorian at ten.

Looking at Ulster's team I would back them, even though Dragons are home. Nick Williams loves playing us too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

I'd never count chickens etc, Dragons at home are more than good enough to turn us over although if there is such a thing as form and momentum then we should win. Being an Ulster fan at the moment must be what it's like to support the French national side in that you just don't know what you're going to get, total dross or a decent performance, no in betweens. Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:31 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:I'd never count chickens etc, Dragons at home are more than good enough to turn us over although if there is such a thing as form and momentum then we should win. Being an Ulster fan at the moment must be what it's like to support the French national side in that you just don't know what you're going to get, total dross or a decent performance, no in betweens. Smile

The good thing is though, even when we're stinking the place up we're finding a way to win they say thats the sign of.... censored

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:31 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:I'd never count chickens etc, Dragons at home are more than good enough to turn us over although if there is such a thing as form and momentum then we should win. Being an Ulster fan at the moment must be what it's like to support the French national side in that you just don't know what you're going to get, total dross or a decent performance, no in betweens. Smile

Usually within the same match with us

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:44 pm

Worth remembering we lost the corresponding fixture last year. That was an extremely slow start for us in the league. It would be a satisfying result to win over there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

Arnold's not 19 til next month. Are we - whsiper it - rewarding young players' form?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

Risca Rev wrote:It annoys me when we give one of the youngsters a crack at 7 and it's Benjamin over Matthews. Matthews is a much better 7 and has made more of an impact in games when he has replaced Benjamin. Nice to see Phil Price on the bench, so the Barrel doesn't have to try and cover loosehead again. Bit worried we have no real ten cover again.

For our starting team, great to see Coombs back. I'm not really convinced by our halfbacks, but then a lot of Dragons fans seem to be a fan of Dorian at ten.

Looking at Ulster's team I would back them, even though Dragons are home. Nick Williams loves playing us too.

Scott Matthews does look the better player, but at least he's on the bench if it's not happening for Benjamin.

If it's a close game and comes down to kicks at goal, I just hope they've had Tom Prydie staying on for extra practice this week.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by scrummy Fri 06 Mar 2015, 5:26 pm

Feeling positive about this one. Herring, Van der Merwe, Touhy, Williams + Henderson sounds quite strong. Add no McComish anywhere on the teamsheet and all we need now is for Ian not to have any daft moments and we could enjoy a good win.

scrummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 5:39 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:It annoys me when we give one of the youngsters a crack at 7 and it's Benjamin over Matthews. Matthews is a much better 7 and has made more of an impact in games when he has replaced Benjamin. Nice to see Phil Price on the bench, so the Barrel doesn't have to try and cover loosehead again. Bit worried we have no real ten cover again.

Scott Matthews does look the better player, but at least he's on the bench if it's not happening for Benjamin.

If it's a close game and comes down to kicks at goal, I just hope they've had Tom Prydie staying on for extra practice this week.

Ah yeah, I'm not a fan of Prydie kicking for us either. I'd forgotten about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 5:39 pm

Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

Just a little whinge here: I know this has been debated before and it comes down to personal opinion and preference (some Irish fans seemed to like the idea of Sunday games), but the Dragons have 14 Sunday games this season. 14! That's absurd! It could be more actually as there are still 2 games (Edinburgh and another) that haven't been decided yet.

Sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:30 pm

Griff wrote:Just a little whinge here: I know this has been debated before and it comes down to personal opinion and preference (some Irish fans seemed to like the idea of Sunday games), but the Dragons have 14 Sunday games this season. 14! That's absurd! It could be more actually as there are still 2 games (Edinburgh and another) that haven't been decided yet.

Sorry

What is it with Welsh fans having a problem with playing regularly on the same day?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:56 pm

Just that Saturday is traditionally rugby day in Wales. Friday nights were brought in and were ok. But supporters have traditionally been used to 3pm-ish on a Saturday.

Sunday is usually a damp squib. People from all nations have complained about Sunday games in the 6 nations. Why should club rugby be any different (in terms of fans complaining)? The odd one is fine. But the majority? Sunday in my experience is like playing on a week day night. People just want to get to the game, get it over and done with and get home as they have work the next day. Same on a Sunday with people running off early to the family/Sunday roast/church, etc. It just doesn't promote the business side very well IMO. Very few travelling fans in the pro 12 due to work on Monday. It doesn't lend itself to the sale of beer, etc. Yes, I know that it's not all about beer. But a Saturday game brings in lots more beer sales than a Sunday game, with people not wanting to drink on a work night. Fine for a one off. But beer sales taking that hit 10 times in a season can have a big impact.

Just my experience of them, is all. 14 times + is too much, for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

Maybe Dragons want it that way? I can't see it being like that without their consent, if they didn't like it surely they would spread it out amoungst the teams more. Ulster for Exampl tend to get home games on Fridays because it suits our traditions and it suits BBC NI who show the majority of our home games.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:07 pm

I think it might be to do with the grave yard shift on Sunday on S4C. But we don't get any extra funding for being televised as far as I know, so not sure it suits us. The tv money is just split evenly. So we could just as easily play on a Friday night, but I guess that's prime time TV which we are not Sad

So I'm not sure it suits us much, as such. I know that we lose out on revenue on match day as a result. Crowds are less in comparison to Friday and Saturday. That soon makes a big difference over 10 or so home games.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:21 pm

I would have thought so as well Grif, there must be some reason for it, I'd imagine S4C want it that way in which case it's a bit unfair but I guess there is little they can do about it. Not everyone is as lucky as we are with BBC NI, the relationship is good and it suits both parties to have it on Friday nights, that's defo a win win.
Although Sky is still a much better channell and you should all subscribe Very Happy

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:54 am

Sunday games should be shared equally between all twelve sides, regardless of TV. Why should we suffer more of them than anyone else?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:01 am

Who's the guy m Stanley in the centre presumably never heard of him before.ulster look to have too many ball carriers in that pack for the dragons to cope with to be honest. If they could find an out and out seven that would be one hell of a combination. Any news on Chris Henry by the way,is it possible he won't ever return, hope not think he's a super player.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:25 am

Stanley is a temporary signing to cover Jacksons injury he plays out half / centre a New Zealander related to Joe Stanley. Chris is back in training and should be playing in a few weeks time according to reports.

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:52 am

This is about as much as we know about the lad, hopefully he'll be an asset for the rest of the season and avoid the curse of the injury cover signings.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/3293/Ulster-Rugby-sign-Samoan-international-on-short-term-contract-.aspx

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:29 pm

Come on now Dragons, you can make it 4-0 tomorrow, you know you can do it.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Sunday games should be shared equally between all twelve sides, regardless of TV. Why should we suffer more of them than anyone else?

http://draggedup.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5835

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:26 pm

Ulster have a glorious opportunity here. A win sees us at least 7 clear of Leinster with them hosting Glasgow up next. Win the next three games and suddenly a top two finish is there to fight for at the business end. And no more trips out of Ireland until the final day

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

wayne wrote:Come on now Dragons, you can make it 4-0 tomorrow, you know you can do it.

3-1 please.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Ulster have a glorious opportunity here. A win sees us at least 7 clear of Leinster with them hosting Glasgow up next. Win the next three games and suddenly a top two finish is there to fight for at the business end. And no more trips out of Ireland until the final day

It is massively important we win tomorrow.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:56 pm

Notch wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Ulster have a glorious opportunity here. A win sees us at least 7 clear of Leinster with them hosting Glasgow up next. Win the next three games and suddenly a top two finish is there to fight for at the business end. And no more trips out of Ireland until the final day

Yes please and while you're at it, deny 'em a losing bonus point.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 07 Mar 2015, 9:00 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

This just reinforces my HATRED for anything KERDIFF boxing

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 9:11 pm

wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

Wow. You're weird.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 07 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

Wow. You're weird.
I'm the sanest person I know

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 9:43 pm

wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

Wow. You're weird.

"HATRED"?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 07 Mar 2015, 9:54 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

Wow. You're weird.

"HATRED"?
Why would any Welshman want an Irish province to beat a Welsh Region when there is basically NOTHING at stake, because neither of you are going to qualify for the RCC over this result, I could understand it if you would have a chance of qualifying but you don't, if it is for the ignominy of finishing bottom Welsh Region that you want them to lose, it just reinforces my point

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

Notch wrote:

And you will. Fairly comfortably, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

wayne wrote:Come on now Dragons, you can make it 4-0 tomorrow, you know you can do it.

Nah, we can't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm

wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

Wow. You're weird.

"HATRED"?
Why would any Welshman want an Irish province to beat a Welsh Region when there is basically NOTHING at stake, because neither of you are going to qualify for the RCC over this result, I could understand it if you would have a chance of qualifying but you don't, if it is for the ignominy of finishing bottom Welsh Region that you want them to lose, it just reinforces my point

I get where he's coming from. I wanted Connacht to win last night. It's nothing to do with nationality or anything, but nobody wants to finish last Welsh region really. Must be nice not to understand what that feels like, or to even be close to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm

wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Notch wrote:

Wow. You're weird.

"HATRED"?

Wow again.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:51 am

It would be hilarious if Dragons beat Ulster today to make an historic 4-0 AND if Ireland went on to win at the Millennium next week and later claim a grand slam Smile

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 11:32 am

Still can't see us winning today and now we have little chance of gaining any momentum before we play the CC quarter. That said we are apparently playing better away than at home this season, so maybe we will do ok in Treviso the week before it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 08 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm

I'm not optimistic ahead of this game, but if I was, it wouldn't be groundless optimism. We scored three tries against Connacht despite being down to 14 men for most of the game (yes, I know we lost); we scored three tries against Zebre and had opportunities to score a fourth (yes, I know we lost). Our pack will give anyone a game and we have dangerous players in the backs.

In conclusion: an away win. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm

Haha.

I'd take three tries again

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Sunday games should be shared equally between all twelve sides, regardless of TV. Why should we suffer more of them than anyone else?

The reson the Dragons play on the Sunday is Newport County grabbing the Saturday games in sum cases but this weekend they played away.

Good news the rain has stopped and the sun has come out, hopefully the ground will dry out a little.

I notice another Irish ref for this one, it will be interesting to see the stats for the Pro12 as there seems to be very few non Irish refs.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next