The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Lewis Osprey

+5
bedfordwelsh
wayne
PenfroPete
Chunky Norwich
Allty
9 posters

Go down

Sam Lewis Osprey Empty Sam Lewis Osprey

Post by Allty Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:10 am

Anyone with any info. It was said on BBC Wales that he was leaving the O's with immediate effect.........

Allty

Back to top Go down

Sam Lewis Osprey Empty Re: Sam Lewis Osprey

Post by Guest Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:07 pm

Joined Worcester, hes a good player, not sure why the Ospreys let him go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

IronMike wrote:Joined Worcester, hes a good player, not sure why the Ospreys let him go

He asked to be released from his contract with immediate effect. Ospreys didn't want a player who wasn't going to play for the shirt.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/38749

Ospreys Rugby can confirm that we have accepted flanker Sam Lewis’ request to be released from the remaining terms of his contract with immediate effect.

The terms of his existing deal with the region enabled him to invoke a release clause at the end of the current season, subject to several criteria being met. However, his stated desire to be playing more rugby led to his request for an immediate release being submitted.

The decision was made following much deliberation and after receiving a formal request from the player to be allowed to take up an alternative offer of employment.

As with any such decision there were a number of factors that needed to be taken into consideration and it was felt that, in this instance, holding the player to the explicit terms of his contract had the potential to prove disruptive to the environment at a crucial time of the season, hence the decision was made in the best interests of the organisation.
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 02 Mar 2015, 4:40 pm

When Sam resigned after the Dragons interlude, all the talk was of Justin leaving to go to France where he'd had a couple of offers, and Sam was led to believe that he would be first choice, and by all accounts it was part of his contract that he would be given a fair crack of the whip, yet when Justin signed a 3 year deal, he knew that that wouldn't be the case, that was when this transfer materialised from, nobody really to blame, we could do with somebody of his breakdown expertise for when Justin is away. Good luck to the boy.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 02 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

Is it Worcester, sure I heard today he had gone to Bristol Welsh.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:08 pm

Worcester it would seem Beds

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/worcester-warriors-confirm-signing-former-8751665

http://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/sport/11827406.Ospreys_flanker_Sam_Lewis_joins_Worcester_Warriors_with_immediate_effect/

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

Ah fair one must be hearing things lol.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

Thanks guys. He is a top class flanker and IMHO was being wasted at the O's

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm

Allty wrote:Thanks guys.  He is a top class flanker and IMHO was being wasted at the O's
In what way?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

wayne wrote:
Allty wrote:Thanks guys.  He is a top class flanker and IMHO was being wasted at the O's
In what way?

Not playing often enough maybe?

To be fair to him, he knows how short a career can be, and needs to get game time in order to make the most of his time. It's a shame the Dragons deal folded, because now all the regions have good Welsh open sides, so I doubt he will get any offers to return anytime soon
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:
In what way?

Not playing often enough maybe?  

To be fair to him, he knows how short a career can be, and needs to get game time in order to make the most of his time.  It's a shame the Dragons deal folded, because now all the regions have good Welsh open sides, so I doubt he will get any offers to return anytime soon
SS, when has he NOT played when fit and Justin isn't available, he was also given ample opportunities last season and previous as a 6, he is a very good 7, but just NOT as good as Justin, this is just a rerun of the Craig Mitchell story a few years ago, and as I said good luck to him, he's been a good servant for us.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm

wayne wrote:
In what way?

Rhys Gill-esque it would seem to me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm

Wayne, he is given opportunity as an understudy, and with Lydiate and Tips that is what he would stay as. Deemed good enough to plug the gaps during the internationals, but not really likely to feature in any big games. So as such he has been wasted at the Ospreys, and will be utilised more at Wuss where he will most likely become a key player.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:27 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, he is given opportunity as an understudy, and with Lydiate and Tips that is what he would stay as.  Deemed good enough to plug the gaps during the internationals, but not really likely to feature in any big games.  So as such he has been wasted at the Ospreys, and will be utilised more at Wuss where he will most likely become a key player.
Ah, wasted at the Ospreys, NOT wasted by the Ospreys, my mistake! Sorry, as I said a very good 7 and I hope he comes good, a good lad.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue 03 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

[quote="wayne"][quote="Allty"]Thanks guys.  He is a top class flanker and IMHO was being wasted at the O's[/quote]
In what way?[/quote]

Not enough game-time Wayne.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 03 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

Allty wrote:
wayne wrote:
In what way?

Not enough game-time Wayne.

Why don't you read the intervening posts.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue 03 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm

I'm simply answering your question Wayne. My reply has nothing to do with other posts

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

It appears Morgan Allen is following the example of Sam Lewis and Craig Mitchell, and leaving us, this one to join the Arseclets at the end of the season, like the other two he is NOT prepared to fight for his preferred position against supposedly better players, ie Adam Jones, Justin Tipuric and now Dan Baker, it is good in the short term for each, but I wonder if it turns out that way in the long term, as I don't think it has for Craig, we brought him through, and through injuries and loss of form he has slipped down the TW ladder, these 2 have been good servants for us and we have been beneficial for them.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

I'm not too sure about Morgan Allen coming to the Scarlets. I know Pitman and Pivac apparently don't see eye to eye, but I think I'd rather persevere with Rory.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

I like the look of Pitman and think he is worth persevering with.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:51 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I'm not too sure about Morgan Allen coming to the Scarlets.  I know Pitman and Pivac apparently don't see eye to eye, but I think I'd rather persevere with Rory.
SS, it is all over our forum, I just hope it is NOT true, he is an excellent impact player, not as good a starter, but with a number of our players, Ardron, King, and Bearman able to play a couple of positions in the back and second row, I don't think I've seen Morgan play anywhere but 8, I tend to think it could be true.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:30 pm

Its been on the Scarlets forum for a while too, so I would say it's very probable. He seems a decent player, and we desperately need an eight, however I'm not keen on signing him. First off I'm not into poaching, and secondly I'm not sure he is an improvement on Pitman as a player.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

If as you say Wayne, he's going beacuse he doesn't want to fight for his place where does he think he could go and be automatic first choice.

Blues - Navidi is having a great season

Dragons - Faletau will always be first choice when available

Scarlets - Pitman is there and I think looks good but if as you say SS he and Pivac not seeing eye to eye then that could be the answer.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

Why don't they see eye to eye, I get the impression Pivac told Pitman that he was too tubby? I think Pitman in a couple years time could be a team Wales option...or is he just another Andy Powell?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:49 pm

I would hope he's another Ben Morgan as opposed to a Powell.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:54 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Its been on the Scarlets forum for a while too, so I would say it's very probable.  He seems a decent player, and we desperately need an eight, however I'm not keen on signing him.  First off I'm not into poaching, and secondly I'm not sure he is an improvement on Pitman as a player.
SS, you wouldn't be poaching as he as not been offered a new contract supposedly, and has come to the end of his existing one, and yes I've just come off Scarlet Fever and can see the amount of comments on there, quite a few are not best pleased if it comes about.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:04 pm

Morgan Allen looked like the real deal 2 or 3 seasons ago and i really thought he would be the next Waldrom or Ben Morgan but hasn't really kicked on. Lack of game time maybe?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

To both BW and Saint, not many on Scarlet Fever think much of Pitman, he virtually has not the attributes of both Faletau and Baker of quick footwork, Saint yes the only possible Region he has a chance of first team Rugby is down West, although a lot on that forum think he is only at best a second choice and they want a top class 8 signed.
I tend to agree with them, he is good on impact, but never IIRC done it as a starter. He would be a good squad player 2nd or 3rd choice with ANY of the Welsh teams

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:10 pm

Wayne, to be fair there were many on there who grumbled about signing Pitman, too. I think they ideally want a Quinnell to roll off the production line to be our saviour, or an unknown kiwi, with welsh blood to turn up.

Whilst its not poaching as such, and we have had a few decent Osprey cast offs like Pugh and Phillips, it does make people question our ambition, where a play who isn't good enough for our rivals is considered a potential first choice for next season.

Also I'm not sure why Rory and Pivac don't get along, but I have a mate who plays at Llanelli and he said there is a bit of a rift there.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm

See to me Pitman looks like a good old fashion No8, nothing fancy just a good up your jumper ball carrier which is nothing to be sniffed at.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne, to be fair there were many on there who grumbled about signing Pitman, too. I think they ideally want a Quinnell to roll off the production line to be our saviour, or an unknown kiwi, with welsh blood to turn up.

Whilst its not poaching as such, and we have had a few decent Osprey cast offs like Pugh and Phillips, it does make people question our ambition, where a play who isn't good enough for our rivals is considered a potential first choice for next season.

Also I'm not sure why Rory and Pivac don't get along, but I have a mate who plays at Llanelli and he said there is a bit of a rift there.
SS, yes those 2 have come good, especially Phillips, you have taken a few duff ones as well, (not going to name names), I think the Pitman Pivac rift is similar to the Nicky Thomas conditioning rift at our club, as for Allen if all our first choice players are available, he would actually be 3rd choice ATM behind Baker and Ardron and with players like Lydiate, King, Cracknell and Bearman ahead of him in versatility and making an impact from the start, which he has not shown so far

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:25 pm

Wayne,

Didn't he have an injury about 18 months back then in that time Baker burst through or am I wrong? On a similar note the same thing happened to Ieuan Jones with us, couldn't get meaningful game time what with Faleatu there moved to the Blues when Copeland left but has failed to make the grade really.

Is he still on loan with the Os Wayne?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:36 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Wayne,

Didn't he have an injury about 18 months back then in that time Baker burst through or am I wrong?  On a similar note the same thing happened to Ieuan Jones with us, couldn't get meaningful game time what with Faleatu there moved to the Blues when Copeland left but has failed to make the grade really.

Is he still on loan with the Os Wayne?
Yes to both questions, Morgan did have a long term injury, and I think if he hadn't had that injury and was shadowing Ryan things could have developed differently, and Ieuan is still with us and the murmurings are that we want to keep him, whether that will happen with Hammett gone is another matter, he has had some decent cameo appearances for us (forgot him), he is another with good footwork and power. Don't forget Morgan has had a few years with us and not shown the necessary prowess.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

He played well for us when Faletau was unavailable though was a bit of a hot head which again is no bad thing if he can control it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

Going slightly off topic, is it any more unusual now than a few years ago, about certain players and coaches not seeing eye to eye, Pivac- Pitman, Jones- Hammett, Thomas-Tandy, can think of Hansen-Adam from a previous era, yet these 3 have NOT MADE IT YET. Whereas Adam buckled down and some would say he had MADE IT.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Mar 2015, 10:08 pm

Wayne, Nigel Davies and Dan Evans was a similar one, Dan got his cap on the USA and Canada tour then clashed with Nige and has never been looked at by team Wales since.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:04 am

He was just a bit of a one cap wonder I feel, along with Gavin Evans...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down