The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

+49
BamBam
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
Jenifer McLadyboy
sensisball
Heuer27
demosthenes
madmaccas
luvtotup
Anglobraveheart
CraigS1874
SirBurger
21st Century Schizoid Man
highland_scot
nickj
Scottish White Line Fever
cakeordeath
IrnBroon
JonnyEdinburgh
Totalflanker
VinceWLB
Second Ranker
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
A Simply Mesmeric Try
justified sinner
cp10
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
GLove39
R!skysports
tigertattie
BigGee
WhiskyBluff
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
53 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by George Carlin Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Moreca10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Gryffi10   

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Slythe10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

tigertattie wrote:I still can't see VC moving on after the world cup as it would leave his All Black chances hanging by a thread!

The only reason I can se him moving on is if he is not getting to run the team how he wants and his Johnsonness is in the background interfereing (which is highly possible)

But if his Johnsonness is moving on after the world cup, as is rumoured, then VC may elect to stay on to try and prove a point!

Oh please let this be true!!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

If you take Johnsons marmite personality and the last of his two seasons as Interim head coach of Scotland out of the equation. Why do people dislike him?

We know very little of what is happening in the background and what his involvement is. I think he needs some credit in the development of the 4 academy's. The youth system now seems to be bearing results with the excellent performances and results from the U20s. Changes to youth systems usually take a few years before it's noticed by the general public. He's obviously pushing for some form of semi-pro league/cup under the two pro teams but finding the traditionals putting their foot down.

And people thinking he's interfering with Vern seem to forget the reputation and the type of character Cotten has built up. You don't pay someone the big bucks then overrule them.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

cp10 wrote:If you take Johnsons marmite personality and the last of his two seasons as Interim head coach of Scotland out of the equation. Why do people dislike him?

We know very little of what is happening in the background and what his involvement is. I think he needs some credit in the development of the 4 academy's. The youth system now seems to be bearing results with the excellent performances and results from the U20s. Changes to youth systems usually take a few years before it's noticed by the general public. He's obviously pushing for some form of semi-pro league/cup under the two pro teams but finding the traditionals putting their foot down.

And people thinking he's interfering with Vern seem to forget the reputation and the type of character Cotten has built up. You don't pay someone the big bucks then overrule them.

I think most peoples perception that SJ is interfering is based on the omission of Brown and Barclay from the squad. These players already had issues with SJ, and under the "new" regime they are still out in the cold. Now of course people could be putting 2 + 2 together to get 5.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

Personally, I would prefer we got new forwards coach, and attack coach. Brought in someone to coach the players on the high ball, as this is such a part of the game now.

I wish Richie Gray would come back from SA.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm

cp10 wrote:If you take Johnsons marmite personality and the last of his two seasons as Interim head coach of Scotland out of the equation. Why do people dislike him?

Simple, he was promoted to a position he quite simply did not deserve on merit. His previous record as a head coach is awful. Not his fault he was given a job he was totally unsuitable for, sure, but I still hold it against him. He inherited a pack of very strong forwards and proceeded to take them backwards. He had bizarre views on how to select a rugby team, which involves as many number 8's as he can possibly shoehorn in.

I can't stand his moronic approach to interviews and press releases. Scott Johnson is like a bikini, we'd all just rather he wasn't there.

He may be due credit for work he is doing behind the scenes, I don't know. However he is still too close to the international side for my liking, a level he has been found wanting at multiple times now in his career.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

Don't think scott Johnson can take any credit for the u20s at all. The current u20s reaves come through from scotland u16 together and beat their English counterparts at u18s and also the french and irish I think.

Johnson is a muppet and is disliked by a lot of the squad. It wasn't just brown and Barclay that had issues with him.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 31 Mar 2015, 1:05 pm

I think there is a pantomime villain about him and he is also a very easy excuse we can use to blame when things go wrong

Look back the last 15 years - we have blamed the coaches every single time

Yes they make some errors - and SJ made a fair few - but we like to find a scapegoat and he is the current favourite

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 31 Mar 2015, 1:30 pm

Riskysports wrote:

I think there is a pantomime villain about him and he is also a very easy excuse we can use to blame when things go wrong

Look back the last 15 years - we have blamed the coaches every single time

Yes they make some errors - and SJ made a fair few - but we like to find a scapegoat and he is the current favourite

We ha e endured some utter rubbish as coaches tho - Johnson the worst of them. ~All distinguish by a record of failure before and after the scotland job

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 2:14 pm

We forget SJ finished 3rd in this 6 nations in his first year as Scotland coach. It was an inherited team but still a good result.

It was his last year and his fall out with Barclay that has clouded the matter. What cup/league has Barclay won that makes him pickable?

On the Director of Rugby post and being promoted beyond his level, Josh Lewsey and Rob Andrew have never coached (both world class players) at any pro level but both hold a position of similar standing in Wales and England. "The controller of all things rugby" in a country doesn't need to be a coach but have a deep understanding of rugby - he needs to be innovative, single minded and driven. Does he need to be liked?

My personal view - I neither like him or dislike him. But some one (or all) out of Dodson, Johnson, McKay, Townsend needs to take credit. Looking back since the McKie days and I can see a completely different SRU. Whether that's because of the money or/and because of the higher skill level.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue 31 Mar 2015, 2:33 pm

I agree with part of what you are saying. I think SJ and probably Dodson for backing him deserve huge credit for expanding the academy structures in the 4 areas where we will (long long term) be looking to establish pro teams. I think this will lead to more and better talent coming through and that should be congratulated.

It is a different matter altogether to have SJ with any influence over the national team, either in selection matters (I doubt Cotter would listen) or coaching. SJ is in the changing room during build up and at half time speaking to the players so he definitely is in a position of influence there and I think that should be ceased immediately.

If we learned anything during his time, it is that his hilarious turn of phrase is used to cover up the fact that he does not know what he is doing and that he has almost zero ability to manage players performance or morale.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 31 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

Johnson is an out and out charlatan. He conned the SRU into taking him on as a coach. His record as a coach is awful. Teams get worse the longer he coaches them. i am sorry to those who think he has done some good. He is a con man who has defrauded the SRU of a lot of money. The director of rugby position is a way of saving face for the SRU

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

TJ wrote:Johnson is an out and out charlatan.  He conned the SRU into taking him on as a coach.  His record as a coach is awful.  Teams get worse the longer he coaches them.  i am sorry to those who think he has done some good.  He is a con man who has defrauded the SRU of a lot of money.  The director of rugby position is a way of saving face for the SRU

Proof? or is purely down to you disliking the way he comes across via the media and stories you've heard.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:26 pm

Proof - look at his record. He has no coaching credentials at all with a career of failure after failure. He took a halfway decent Scotland team and wrecked it - wrecking the careers of several players in the process. The team all disliked him. But the most crucial thing is his record.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:32 pm

TJ wrote:Proof - look at his record.  He has no coaching credentials at all with a career of failure after failure.  He took a halfway decent Scotland team and wrecked it - wrecking the careers of several players in the process.  The team all disliked him.  But the most crucial thing is his record.

That's not a fraud.

He was in charge the year Wales won the 6 nations. While he was at Ospreys they won the 2 league titles and lost in the semi's once. And a 3rd in his first 6 nations with Scotland. Not really a frauds CV.

Again, does he need to be liked?

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:33 pm

cp10 wrote:

He was in charge the year Wales won the 6 nations. While he was at Ospreys they won the 2 league titles and lost in the semi's once. And a 3rd in his first 6 nations with Scotland. Not really a frauds CV.

It is interesting to note that, despite the success you mention above, most Welsh fans on here don't have a good word to say about him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:38 pm

I'm somehwere in the middle.

Whilst I don't have the irrational hatred of TJ or Schiz for the man I'm not entirely sure he isn't to blame for at least some of the mess Scottish Rugby finds itself in at the moment.

I'm fairly sure somewhere between CP and TJ the truth will lie.

For what it's worth he was the head honcho in our best 6N outing for 10 years.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

In general most people base their assumptions on the personality. Is it not the same with politicians? The record will fade in the memory as soon as something doesn't go the they want it and people go back to the personality and his is an easy target.

He has that Australian accent that grates combined with his "Alf" looking face, stupid hair cut and strange sense of humour.

His CV doesn't lie.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:53 pm

cp10 wrote:He was in charge the year Wales won the 6 nations. While he was at Ospreys they won the 2 league titles and lost in the semi's once. And a 3rd in his first 6 nations with Scotland. Not really a frauds CV.

Not sure that's right is it?

Wiki wrote:Ending his career with Wales in Cardiff after three games: a 31-5 defeat to Ireland in Dublin, an 18-18 draw against Italy in Cardiff, before going down to eventual Champions France 21–16

He then moved to a coaching position for the Wallabies, who were a shambles at the time. Then less than a year for the USA. Greatly maligned by Ospreys fans after his stint there. I don't agree that he's had a successful coaching career, though I wouldn't accuse him of fraud personally!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
cp10 wrote:He was in charge the year Wales won the 6 nations. While he was at Ospreys they won the 2 league titles and lost in the semi's once. And a 3rd in his first 6 nations with Scotland. Not really a frauds CV.

Not sure that's right is it?

Apologies, I got my year wrong. He was joint coach with Mike Ruddock. They were 5th - so yes poor year for them.

The Ospreys results are correct though. I assume the Ospreys fans didn't like him because of the record in the Heineken Cup.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue 31 Mar 2015, 4:07 pm

Due to the cloudy nature of the SRU, it's actually quite difficult to assess his director of rugby performance.

I'm pretty sure the academy set up was him. Does anyone know if he was involved in the Solomons recruitment? Or the following player recruitment at the pro teams? I think I remember reading that he was involved with Hugh Blake coming over which suggests overlap with Lineen.

Can anyone shed any light?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 31 Mar 2015, 4:10 pm

Well he's certainly behind McInally's move to hooker

BBC Sport wrote:Edinburgh's Stuart McInally has set his sights on becoming one of the best hookers in the world after taking the decision to convert from the back row.
The 23-year-old has yet to win his first cap for Scotland.

And he is being encouraged to switch by new Edinburgh coach Alan Solomons and Scotland boss Scott Johnson.

Johnson believes that McInally has already shown promise in the new position.

"The game of rugby is changing and the position of hooker, while specialist, requires a very diverse range of abilities, which Stuart already possesses: he's a dynamic and strong ball carrier and has excellent ball handling skills," said Scotland's director or rugby.

"I'm pleased to say that Stuart has taken to the specialist functions of throwing-in and hooking like a duck to water.

"However, what he needs is time to become used to performing these actions under immense pressure.

"Looking to the long-term, we require greater depth in the position and I believe that, come 2015, Stuart will join the likes of Ross Ford, Richard Hibbard of Wales and Steve Thompson of England who have successfully made this transition."

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 4:13 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:Or the following player recruitment at the pro teams? I think I remember reading that he was involved with Hugh Blake coming over which suggests overlap with Lineen.

Can anyone shed any light?

He's the one that got the Toolis brothers across (i'll back up my fact this time)

Edinburgh News wrote:
Scott Johnson, was back in his native Australia and made an approach having got wind of Toolis’ heritage.
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/edinburgh-s-ben-toolis-has-a-double-target-against-lyon-1-3663217

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 31 Mar 2015, 4:25 pm

The reason its a fraud is because he is not the skilled coach he pretends to be. His record is awful in that like with scotland he took a team and made them worse

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

I work in Wales 5 days a week and trust me, SJ was disliked here even more than in Scotland. He's been described as a cancer in rugby and everything he touches turns to sh!t.

That Ospreys team was pretty much the Welsh International team and he pretty much did sweet FA with it.

He's awful. Awful at coaching, awful at man management and awful when it came to selection and tactics.

However, he's not the only one that needs to be booted up the erchie and cast from any sports position in Scotland.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

Wow just seen the Blair's signing Shocked

Glasgow really really need to sign Richie Gray to make up for some of these average signings. No disrespect to Blair, a great player in his prime but at 34 now he is well over the hill and probably not the quality of signing Glasgow should aspire to.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:44 pm

Majestic83 wrote:It is a pretty weird signing. Glasgow probably should have all their scrum halfs available during the world cup.
I can only assume that Townsend has brought him in as a player but more a mentor/coaching role as would think hart/pyrgos will be first choice and Ali price has looked pretty good when he has played.
Would have thought glasgow would have snapped up george Horne after his performances for the u20s.

George Horne will be playing full time rugby next year, especially since Hawks could go down.
Think we could have a promising future for kicking 9s but guys like glashan and Horne need pro game time.

Visser is not a huge loss in my opinion, hoyland deserves a chance although he is a pure athlete.
On another note Fraser Lyle looked excellent in the HK7s

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:48 pm

I am actually quite positive about the Blair signing. If he sees his career moving into coaching then he is going about it in the right way. He has moved around a bit now and worked in some different environments and under different coaches to get experience. That is why it actually makes much more sense for him to go to Glasgow and challenge himself there in another new environment. This could be very beneficial to Scottish rugby in the longer term.

The two top Glasgow SH's Hart and Pygros are not going to be to far away from the Scotland squad next year. If Henry plays like he has this season and he showed what he brought to the party for Glasgow when he came on against Leinster, then he may still go to the WC. I am sure he will be in the wider squad and will get the chance to state his case.

I don't think the kids at Glasgow will be to held back by this. Blair is not being signed as a first choice SH and will be rotated and played when he needs to. I think they may well let McConnell go and concentrate on Price and Horne, who will still be in the U20's next year and probably still has a bit to go before he is playing regular Pro rugby, as the 2 back ups.

If Big Al is also considering a move into coaching, then it may not do him any harm to consider a move and to try and get some sort of experience elsewhere as well. He would definitely benefit from it.

I don't think this is the end of our signings and we will still get something to excite us further down the line.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

Were Treviso not supposed to have sought Big AK as player/coach recently ?

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 31 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Were Treviso not supposed to have sought Big AK as player/coach recently ?

There was some talk of that and something like that would be no bad idea for him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 31 Mar 2015, 7:17 pm

Treviso have since then signed Filo Paulo from Blues and 138 kg South African Naude so doubt Kellock will go there.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 31 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Treviso have since then signed Filo Paulo from Blues and 138 kg South African Naude so doubt Kellock will go there.

I would not like to be lifting him in the lineout!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 31 Mar 2015, 8:43 pm

BigGee wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Treviso have since then signed Filo Paulo from Blues and 138 kg South African Naude so doubt Kellock will go there.

I would not like to be lifting him in the lineout!

Certainly a very different matter than lifting Al Kellock!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 31 Mar 2015, 10:26 pm

Lifting All Kellock?? Schizoid assures me that the man who walks on water merely levitates towards the ball at lineout time, floating on an aura of leadership.

Treviso sounds about right, although I doubt he'd make the starting XV.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 01 Apr 2015, 7:00 am

Great stat retweeted on the soapdodger feed:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 7j4AR6NF_normalEPCR Champions Cup@ChampionsCup · 16h 16 hours ago

2014-15 #ChampionsCup most offloads:

1 - Nakarawa (25)
2 - Mermoz (15)
3 - Ranger, Smith (14)
5 - Hughes, Easter (12)
Surely everyone realises how important he is to the club?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 01 Apr 2015, 8:21 am

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 17bk55ryctbzmjpg

Glasgow fans! You're getting a new roof.  And if that wasn't good news enough, the last paragraph makes things even better!

GlasgowWarriors.org wrote:Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Scotstoun_cover

Glasgow Warriors have today revealed plans for a revolutionary new temporary stadium cover for their Scotstoun Stadium home in the west end of the city.

The club have been working closely with Scottish architecture firm Kettle Collective, to develop the radical new system and it will be in place from the start of next season.

The fish net inspired designThe design was inspired by fishing nets, similar to the Yas Island Hotel at the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 resort.

The stadium roof will be the first of its kind in the world and is an organic form that will enclose the stadium from the elements.

The Warriors moved to Scotstoun in 2012 having previously played at Hughenden and Firhill and with crowds exceeding 6,000, a decision has been made to put a roof over the existing stadium for all home matches from next season.

The roof, named the "The Fish Net", can be put over the stadium 48 hours before a match and then removed easily following the game.
Glasgow Warriors managing director Nathan Bombrys said: “We are looking to grow the club all the time and feel this innovative new system will take us to a whole new level.The new roof at Scotstoun will be in place next season

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Model_photography

“It is very exciting to see the early planning stages of our new temporary roof which will completely enclose the stadium for matches, meaning players and supporters will be protected from the elements.

“All around the city of Glasgow there are unique landmarks and the new fish net design will certainly catch the eye.”

A Kettle Collective spokesman said “We are delighted to be working on this exciting project with Glasgow Warriors, as we see this being the future of winter sport arenas.

"It is an innovative iconic form that will provide protection for both the players and supporters alike.

"We are confident that this will become a great success and will be used at other stadiums across the globe"

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 11 Roof_2

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “To have an indoor stadium next year will be incredible.

“It’s a project I’ve been excited about for a long time anDesign has been inspired by the Yas Island Resortd I can’t wait to see the finished article.

“The players are obviously excited about it as well, but we’re still in discussions about the height of the roof.

It was reported last year that Duncan Weir can kick the highest in the GUINNESS PRO12, so we’ll want the roof as high as possible in case the situation arises that he’d only be able to play away matches.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm

So to sum up those jolly japesters at HQ: Glasgow to play in fishnets next season. Oh how we laughed. Reminds me of the hilarious  "Angela, pit merr weight oan that bar"
Wonder why the Luvvies never seem comfortable laughing at the idea of their inner cross dressing tendencies? Whistle

Last edited by jimbopip on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't type for toffee this morn.)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:19 pm

Apparently Geoff Cross has lost the beard!

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 01 Apr 2015, 1:51 pm

I thought that the roof was going to be formed by taking two of Ben Atiga's training jerseys and sewing them together.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Apr 2015, 2:00 pm

This is 1st April right?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 01 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

Yawn. Better tell RDW its a jolly jape !

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

George Carlin wrote:I thought that the roof was going to be formed by taking two of Ben Atiga's training jerseys and sewing them together.

Unwashed of course. Actually that would smell really bad, even for Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 01 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

And they say Edinbuggers don't get a joke - I would have thought the use of James May and highlighting the fact that Duncan Weir can no longer play home games would have shown I knew it was an April fools!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 01 Apr 2015, 4:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:This is 1st April right?

I heard Glasgow are going to sign Jack Gilding to replace Jon Welsh as he wanted to come back to Scotland.

Certainly wouldn't look out of place among Glasgow's new signings!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:This is 1st April right?

I heard Glasgow are going to sign Jack Gilding to replace Jon Welsh as he wanted to come back to Scotland.

Certainly wouldn't look out of place among Glasgow's new signings!

Bruce Douglas is on board as well so I've heard.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Thu 02 Apr 2015, 9:48 am

Glasgow apparently have a big announcement to make at 10am...

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

Al Kellock is retiring in the summer. Great club man for Glasgow and I imagine he'll be involved in the coaching team in some way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:05 am

I presume that he is Shade's replacement although it doesn't mention anything on twitter.

Need big Richie now more than ever!

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:10 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:I presume that he is Shade's replacement although it doesn't mention anything on twitter.

I thought Dan McFarland was being brought in from Connacht..? Maybe Kellock will assist him and deal with the lineout etc and learn the ropes for a year or two. Perhaps the Blair signing makes slightly more sense now, as Toonie may have felt that the squad needed an experienced player all year round with Kellock retired.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:15 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:I presume that he is Shade's replacement although it doesn't mention anything on twitter.

That could very well be right, and with the appointment of Toonie Glasgow have certain gambled on less experienced men before in a coaching capacity.

Second row now needs to be a real focus of recruitment efforts at Glasgow. Jonny Gray and Naka are an excellent first choice pairing, and Swinson is useful back-up, but they need two further recruits at second row. MacKenzie will probably stay at Edinburgh now Atkins has gone to Exeter, although Alex Toolis could perhaps make the switch.

Any up and coming youngsters ready to step up? Is Scott Cummings ready do we think?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 02 Apr 2015, 10:28 am

I've watched him and Andrew Davidson a few times for Hawks this season and they are both pretty useful but very difficult to tell if they are capable of stepping up. I don't think either of them are 20 yet so unrealistic to rely on them.

I think that at least one of them will be spending more time in or around the team even if we do bring someone else in. My money would be on Cummings to be first to have a go.

I also think their chances would improve if Kellock was sticking around in some way or another. JG always seems to credit Al for much of his progress.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next