The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation

+24
Gooseberry
LordDowlais
XR
nth
formerly known as Sam
Jenifer McLadyboy
SecretFly
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Chunky Norwich
nathan
Exiledinborders
Dubbelyew L Overate
Geordie
Tiger/Chief
BamBam
doctor_grey
beshocked
MichaelT
Bathman_in_London
Sin é
LondonTiger
HammerofThunor
Rugby Fan
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation - Page 2 Empty Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:30 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/premiership/11438598/English-Aviva-Premiership-clubs-in-new-plan-to-end-relegation.html

England’s leading clubs are proposing a radical plan to expand the Premiership for the start of the 2016-17 season and then scrap ­promotion and relegation – which would be the biggest overhaul of club rugby since the game went professional.

It is understood that the proposal is to increase the top flight from 12 to 14 teams by a meritocratic process before dispensing with promotion and relegation, which have been a bedrock of English rugby since leagues were introduced in 1987.

The fine details of how the new league structure would come into existence and how the new fixture schedules might work have yet to be ironed out. But it is understood that the concept has the support of the majority of the Premiership clubs following a meeting of owners and shareholders on Monday.

The full support of the 14 clubs who own Premiership shares – which includes Championship sides Bristol, Worcester and Yorkshire Carnegie – would be required before the plan could be agreed as policy. It would then have to be put before the Rugby Football Union for approval.

However, it is understood that further meetings are already planned to discuss the detail, with supporters of the plan confident that those opposing it can be persuaded of its merit.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation - Page 2 Empty Re: Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation

Post by XR Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:26 am

And thus the Regions to the English premiership plan begins. Looking forward to it.

XR

Back to top Go down

Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation - Page 2 Empty Re: Telegraph reports Premiership plan to scrap relegation

Post by Exiledinborders Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:37 am

doctor_grey wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:It would seem that the discussions are not to exclude promotion entirely - just not to make it automatic. May just be semantics of course.

Anyway, I have organised enough shareholders that we could force an EGM should Leicester be looking to sign up to something that completely removes any chance of a team breaking through into the elite.
As I read this, I just received an email on the same subject from Saints.  I would guess this is happening at other clubs similar to ours.  

I would like to see changes to the promotion process to include raw financials as well as raw performance.  But then, all Premiership sides would have to meet these financial standards.  That was a legal learning from the London Welsh suit.  And, one which seems appropriate and correct.  A positive of a revised, not eliminated, promotion/relegation process would probably put the knife in any more credible notions of ending the salary cap.  Would be good to see that put away for good.  
Why not add a collar to the current salary cap? So a team can only be in the AP provided they have a playing budget of say £3.5 million. The limit of £5million would stay.

In reality other than Worcester and Bristol how many of the other teams even want promotion? Maybe Leeds (or whatever they are now called).

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

Exiledinborders wrote:Why not add a collar to the current salary cap? So a team can only be in the AP provided they have a playing budget of say £3.5 million. The limit of £5million would stay.

The salary cap will be gone before long anyway.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:58 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:It would seem that the discussions are not to exclude promotion entirely - just not to make it automatic. May just be semantics of course.

Anyway, I have organised enough shareholders that we could force an EGM should Leicester be looking to sign up to something that completely removes any chance of a team breaking through into the elite.
As I read this, I just received an email on the same subject from Saints.  I would guess this is happening at other clubs similar to ours.  

I would like to see changes to the promotion process to include raw financials as well as raw performance.  But then, all Premiership sides would have to meet these financial standards.  That was a legal learning from the London Welsh suit.  And, one which seems appropriate and correct.  A positive of a revised, not eliminated, promotion/relegation process would probably put the knife in any more credible notions of ending the salary cap.  Would be good to see that put away for good.  
Why not add a collar to the current salary cap? So a team can only be in the AP provided they have a playing budget of say £3.5 million.  The limit of £5million would stay.

In reality other than Worcester and Bristol how many of the other teams even want promotion? Maybe Leeds (or whatever they are now called).  
I think that is right on the money. A salary cap combined with minimum salary expenditure. That would go a long way to preserving the competitive balance as well as the overall financial health of the Premiership.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Why not add a collar to the current salary cap? So a team can only be in the AP provided they have a playing budget of say £3.5 million.  The limit of £5million would stay.

I think that is right on the money.  A salary cap combined with minimum salary expenditure.  That would go a long way to preserving the competitive balance as well as the overall financial health of the Premiership.  

Wouldn't it be easier just to franchise the whole thing and have those open to bids every few years, or sale at season end?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

gcBlues wrote:And thus the Regions to the English premiership plan begins. Looking forward to it.

Why - what possible advantages to professional rugby in England are there for bringing the Welsh in - apart from screwing the professional game in Ireland, Scotland and Italy by collapsing the Pro12 ?

In the unlikely event of the Welsh regions being any good it's just more competition for the top teams and in the more likely scenario of them being at the bottom end it's more competition for the lower teams and a block on progress for the Championship sides.

Just more wishful Welsh thinking on the lines of Celtic and Rangers supporters on joining the Premier League.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:41 am

The best way to do this would be for the Avivia to expand to take in the Championship (and PRL to fund it together with the RFU) to create two professional divisions of 10 sides. Basically the current 12 plus eight from the Championship.
18 League games a season, two up, two down promotion between the divisions plus European competition for the top division, B & I cup for the second division and some form of domestic RFU Cup (FA Cup style), which runs from the grassroots all the way to the top with a final at Twickenham to replace the LV.
Ringfence on a three to five year franchise and at the end of that period offer up to two places for any club outside the top level who wish to apply to join - winners of National One get an automatic place at the expense of the bottom club (if they want it) and the runners up in National One can play off against the second from bottom side or the bottom side if the National One winners don't want to come up.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 12 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:The best way to do this would be for the Avivia to expand to take in the Championship (and PRL to fund it together with the RFU) to create two professional divisions of 10 sides. Basically the current 12 plus eight from the Championship.
18 League games a season, two up, two down promotion between the divisions plus European competition for the top division, B & I cup for the second division and some form of domestic RFU Cup (FA Cup style), which runs from the grassroots all the way to the top with a final at Twickenham to replace the LV.
Ringfence on a three to five year franchise and at the end of that period offer up to two places for any club outside the top level who wish to apply to join - winners of National One get an automatic place at the expense of the bottom club (if they want it) and the runners up in National One can play off against the second from bottom side or the bottom side if the National One winners don't want to come up.
This assumes that the PRL clubs have money to fund championship clubs. I do not think they do.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 12 Mar 2015, 3:45 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:The best way to do this would be for the Avivia to expand to take in the Championship (and PRL to fund it together with the RFU) to create two professional divisions of 10 sides. Basically the current 12 plus eight from the Championship.

I have always thought 2 x 10 team leagues was where England should end up. They have the current 12 plus sides like Worcs., Bristol, London Scots, Leeds, Rotherham, Bedford and Cornish Pirates. You would probably just about get to 2 x 10 leagues. Anything below that could then be amateur. Makes sense.

Extending to 14 teams is just thinking about quantity not quality and certainly not player welfare.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 12 Mar 2015, 6:45 pm

You might be right that will be where we end up - I imagine it will be gradual though as only Wuss and Bris are currently Premiership ready.

I imagine Yorkshire and Cornish would be next on the list.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

SirBurger wrote:You might be right that will be where we end up - I imagine it will be gradual though as only Wuss and Bris are currently Premiership ready.

I imagine Yorkshire and Cornish would be next on the list.

While London Welsh are talking about reverting to Old Deer Park and setting National 1 as their ceiling.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by greygoose Mon 16 Mar 2015, 9:15 pm

So, if the premiership gets rid of relegation do the French get more spots in the Euro-super-duper-happy-clappy cup? I thought your league had to have relegation to be 'competitive' and therefore worthy of places?

greygoose

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 16 Mar 2015, 9:28 pm

No, see the Pro12 having 7 spots as an example.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2