The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healey says England are second best in the scrum...

+29
Hood83
The Fourth Lion
wolfball
Pete330v2
WELL-PAST-IT
Breadvan
wrfc1980
captain carrantuohil
robbo277
bedfordwelsh
rapidsnowman
englandglory4ever
fa0019
Notch
SecretFly
lostinwales
gregortree
GunsGerms
The Saint
Nachos Jones
Alex_Germany
beshocked
Gooseberry
majesticimperialman
Poorfour
LondonTiger
yappysnap
Cowshot
Pot Hale
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Healey says England are second best in the scrum... Empty Healey says England are second best in the scrum...

Post by Pot Hale Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:15 am

...I know, I know, it would be a good headline if it were true.  Or even spelt correctly.

But those kind of 'foaming-at-the-mouth' headlines have been largely absent once again.  Maybe it's just me, but it would be nice to open the paper (real or electronic) and read:

"England hopefully have learnt how to catch", says Kearney.

"Ireland's lucked it by a few points last year, England will take the Slam in 2015," says Hartley.

In the safe, politically correct world of 'never give the opposition any ammo', 6 Nations tests are becoming more and more anodyne by the year in the pre-match media write-ups

You wonder what the players would really like to say if they were let off the leash.  More of the same? Or perhaps let slip a few verbal grenades for posting on the dressing room walls.

At least the English and Irish players of previous years were more than happy to toss in a few barbs in advance of a game - now it seems everyone has had their mouth taped shut.

This is the no comeback thread.  Say what what you want or really think and no one is allowed quote you after the match - whatever the result.

What were your favourite quotes from previous matches?  What are the ones that had you hiding behind the couch afterwards?

This is the topic where you get to exult in your bombastic righteousness  and not be shamed for your nationalistic arrogance in the pub.

Just shout it loud.  Say it proud.   Tell everyone what you really think will be the outcome on Sunday.

No comebacks.

Promise.

Honestly.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Healey says England are second best in the scrum... Empty Re: Healey says England are second best in the scrum...

Post by Cowshot Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:30 am

Chuckle. A poll among my friends had all saying it was too close to call. I'd love to be making pitying patronising comments but there's too much chance they'd come back and haunt me. We've had a number of games like this recently I think - last year I thought there would be an Irish win and was wrong. The biggest difference I see this year is that the young inexperienced but exciting side is England, with Ireland occupying England's traditional position as dour pragmatists. Weather forecast suggests it may well be Wee weeing it down.

Ireland by 7 or less in a low scorer, if I have to guess. But a nailbiter from start to finish.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Healey says England are second best in the scrum... Empty Re: Healey says England are second best in the scrum...

Post by yappysnap Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:52 am

Oh no he didn't!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:59 am

yappysnap wrote:Oh no he didn't!

Oh yes he did.

And

He's behind you.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:11 am

Ah not my ankle!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 am

It's both noticeab;e and noticeably more pleasant how much more polite the debate is - on here and in the press - than it was before the Wales game.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:03 am

Poorfour wrote:It's both noticeab;e and  noticeably more pleasant how much more polite the debate is - on here and in the press - than it was before the Wales game.

That is because both set's of fans and both set's of players have more respect for each other. Especialy the coaches. Hug

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 am

It makes a change from Gatland trolling, and certainly better than the distasteful nonsense the Murdoch media use to stoke up hostility in the Aus England games (especially cricket which is just ugly at times).

I hope Ireland roll out the red carpet for England as a mark of respect, Im sure they will return the compliment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdsTh2oP6o

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 am

Gooseberry wrote:It makes a change from Gatland trolling, and certainly better than the distasteful nonsense the Murdoch media use to stoke up hostility in the Aus England games (especially cricket which is just ugly at times).

I hope Ireland roll out the red carpet for England as a mark of respect, Im sure they will return the compliment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdsTh2oP6o  

Wholeheartedly agree with that.

Wales-England had too many mind games and stupid arguments about the roof and who was going to go on the pitch first!

Would rather both sides do their talking on the pitch. In my opinion England and Ireland are currently above the other sides in the 6 nations - need to perform as such to keep it that way.

Both these teams are quite evenly matched. I thought Wales underestimated England - the injuries to English players were exaggerated. There is no way that Schimdt and Ireland will underestimate England.

I am backing an England win - because heart does rule head. Head thinks it will be mighty close too though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:02 am

Meanwhile, the England-Ireland love-in continues.....

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/25/ireland-rory-best-eoin-reddan-england-six-nations-rugby-union

- Oh, they're so nice. Even that Cipriani guy is "humble and down to earth" -

Then you've got Ford saying how much he admires Sexton etc etc.

Hartley and Best might maim each other on the pitch, but will be best mates afterwards!

It's even infected the comments here. England fans saying how great Ireland are, Ireland fans being almost as polite as South African fans about England.

Personally I quite like it.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 am

In Lancaster and Schmidt, both England and Ireland have very tactical and clever head coaches, both men are totally dedicated to every detail in an opponent. I have a feeling that both teams will push eachother all the way in a very low scoring match where (in)discipline will be the major factor. Too close to call this one but if I was a betting man I would have England by 3.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:08 am

Sickening.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:54 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
Poorfour wrote:It's both noticeab;e and  noticeably more pleasant how much more polite the debate is - on here and in the press - than it was before the Wales game.

That is because both set's of fans and both set's of players have more respect for each other. Especialy the coaches. Hug

I love winding up and taking swipes at England fans but they are also my favorite 6 nations visitors to Dublin and always have been. They have good travelling fans and good support in general. Just look at the celebration of the guy in the crowd in the wax jacket after Joseph scored against Wales. Fast forward to 1:22. How can you not love that?

https://youtu.be/bPi7kmY3xQ8

It is estimated that there will be 15k English fans in the Aviva on Sunday even though the game is on Sunday and their allocation is 5k. Looking forward to it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:18 am

Where is the 'arrogant England' soundbite when you need it ?
The 6N just isn't the same anymore, apart from Gatling's desultory and unoriginal 'roof' nonsense.
Can't anyone get a pithy Ferris quote ? Has there been an unspoken trappist vow in the camps ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:45 am

gregortree wrote:Where is the 'arrogant England' soundbite when you need it ?
The 6N just isn't the same anymore, apart from Gatling's desultory and unoriginal 'roof' nonsense.
Can't anyone get a pithy Ferris quote ?  Has there been an unspoken trappist vow in the camps ?

Its hard to accuse England of being arrogant when they arent being arrogant. The England team is instead ominously focusing on improving all the time and becoming a really great team rather than thinking they are one. Smug pricks.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:48 am

Where is the 'arrogant England' soundbite when you need it ?

Imanol Harinordoquy was the last one to lay it on thick - hates the English etc. I think the English just replied "we love your country and your wine, let's have a good match, and p.s. the French love Jonny".

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:57 am

GunsGerms wrote:
gregortree wrote:Where is the 'arrogant England' soundbite when you need it ?
Can't anyone get a pithy Ferris quote ?  Has there been an unspoken trappist vow in the camps ?

Its hard to accuse England of being arrogant when they arent being arrogant. The England team is instead ominously focusing on improving all the time and becoming a really great team rather than thinking they are one. Smug pricks.

And as for those Basteraud Irish. What on earth are they doing actually thinking about the game and using tactics rather than the traditional running around like a bunch of maniacs for an hour before running out of steam?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 am

There was an infuriating belief amoungst Irish people, particularly people from Munster that believe things like "heart" and passion and emotion are all key elements of being a really great rugby player or team.

Personally I always thought that was the main reason Ireland are so often gallant losers because of this belief when really at times composure, calm and intellegence are much more important virtues than motoring around frazzeled and redfaced all the time.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 am

Hmmm.............................. after reading some of this I'm afraid to say it ain't going according to Pot's plans - bless him.

No.................... I probably had a good one lined up but no.  Fate takes all jokes way too seriously....so I'm not going to tempt the bastard to laugh back in my face.

PS...now he'll laugh back in my face for calling him a bastard. The humourless c**t.

Last edited by SecretFly on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 am

Kick and Chaos.....that was how we used to like it.
Now it is all cerebally intellectual.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:24 am

GunsGerms wrote:There was an infuriating belief amoungst Irish people, particularly people from Munster that believe things like "heart" and passion and emotion are all key elements of being a really great rugby player or team.

Personally I always thought that was the main reason Ireland are so often gallant losers because of this belief when really at times composure, calm and intellegence are much more important virtues than motoring around frazzeled and redfaced all the time.

The old difference between 'exciting' rugby and 'winning' rugby. And having experienced some of the latter most of us would be prepared to sacrifice a little excitement for a few more wins

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am

I can't be the only person who saw this and thought "What the hell does Austin Healey know about the scrum?"
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am

Notch wrote:I can't be the only person who saw this and thought "What the hell does Austin Healey know about the scrum?"

No you weren't laughing

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 am

I'm greedy.  Why not sometimes a lick of both.  I know architects and accountants are now needed to play winning rugby but when it gets too set-squarey and protractorish or numbery and summish, it can look pretty grey stuff.

So a little Einstein, a dash of Douglas Fairbanks, a smidgin of Mike Tyson, a dab of Garry Kasparov would be my ideal.  Greed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 am

lostinwales wrote:
Notch wrote:I can't be the only person who saw this and thought "What the hell does Austin Healey know about the scrum?"

No you weren't laughing

That was intentional.

Just cos' the English fans don't know how to spel.

Proper-like.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 am

Healy, to give him his due, did have the best Pot-style headline of the week (or last week) when 'Sword' and 'Putting Ireland to it' was up in neon. So Healy has played his part, or at least the Telegraph editor did.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:49 am

Hmm. Best Irish display I've ever seen was against us at Croke and that was passion at its purest. Similarly, England lost a World Cup Final against Australia because Carling thought too much (encouraged by those fiendishly cunning Aussies). Most of the thinking is best left to coaches, and any players inclined that way, before the game. I don't think there's much time for thinking on the pitch, you rely on trained reactions to impressions.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:58 am

"We won't waste time trying to wind up Hartley" - Rory Best.

Really Rory? You won't?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:58 am

Pot Hale wrote:"We won't waste time trying to wind up Hartley"  - Rory Best.

Really Rory?  You won't?

Nah they'll do it really quickly

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Pot Hale wrote:"We won't waste time trying to wind up Hartley"  - Rory Best.

Really Rory?  You won't?

Well technically he's spot on. I does waste time trying to wind up Hartley. The man is always wound up. The trick is just getting close enough to him to press the spring release button. But his bloody pack mates keep protecting him lately.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:
So a little Einstein, a dash of Douglas Fairbanks, a smidgin of Mike Tyson, a dab of Garry Kasparov would be my ideal.  Greed.

An ear munching, chess champion with a dapper 'tache and crazy hair?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Now you're seeing it Tiger Wink

You gotta admit, that's one bohemian kinda dude.  That's a guy born for chatshow rating spikes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm

I remember the 95 SF ENG vs. NZ and the build up. They were interviewing the players in the team coach and the difference was quite apparent. England were very bullish about their chances, if I recall Rory Underwood was saying their was no way they were going to be on the losing side etc. Fitzpatrick on the other hand really downplayed NZ's chances yet I don't think I've seen such a start to a game with such brutality bar the 1st Lions test in 2009.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 pm

The 1995 Lomu phenomenon....no need for bull when you have him.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Gobland has done enough stoking of fires before a match to show everyone that it doesn't work and is a waste of time. The results of Gobland's comments is usually egg on a very fat red face.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:07 am

Found one:

"Dan Cole's bogey man seems to be Cian Healy - he doesn’t like scrummaging against Cian and Cian’s had some pretty good days against him."

Greg Feek??

nah - it was only Marco Caputo, Leinster scrum coach bigging up his own player.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:17 am

[quote="fa0019"]I remember the 95 SF ENG vs. NZ and the build up. They were interviewing the players in the team coach and the difference was quite apparent. England were very bullish about their chances, if I recall Rory Underwood was saying their was no way they were going to be on the losing side etc. Fitzpatrick on the other hand really downplayed NZ's chances yet I don't think I've seen such a start to a game with such brutality bar the 1st Lions test in 2009.[quote]

I think it was Tony Underwood actually, because he also talked about how they would deal with Lomu - which worked well!

England were at their arrogance zenith under Carling and co. That's why the Scottish Grand Slam of 1990 was sooo sweet (and I'm Irish).

The 2003 team were so good they didn't need to be arrogant (though Clive Woodward does seem a tad self-obsessed now. He must drive Lancaster mad with his armchair 'picks' and strategies).

If I had to choose one or other now I'd rather lose to England than Wales (in general, not in the current comp.). Not saying I don't like Wales, but there has been more bad blood between our 2 teams in recent times and it is always good to shut up Gatland.

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Gobland has done enough stoking of fires before a match to show everyone that it doesn't work and is a waste of time. The results of Gobland's comments is usually egg on a very fat red face.

It must be a SH thing as Henry, Hansen Johnson all had severe foot in mouth syndrome and we had to put up with all 3 plus now Gatland has it (was he that bad when with Ireland can't remember)?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:05 am

I was in Ireland in 2011 (no tickets for the game) bigging England up to everyone who would listen. Went a bit quiet as the game wore on. Think I'll leave it this year.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:49 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:Gobland has done enough stoking of fires before a match to show everyone that it doesn't work and is a waste of time. The results of Gobland's comments is usually egg on a very fat red face.

It must be a SH thing as Henry, Hansen Johnson all had severe foot in mouth syndrome and we had to put up with all 3 plus now Gatland has it (was he that bad when with Ireland can't remember)?

Jake White was always at it too and it usually came back to bite him particularly against Ireland.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:13 am

GunsGerms wrote:bedfordwelsh wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:
Gobland has done enough stoking of fires before a match to show everyone that it doesn't work and is a waste of time. The results of Gobland's comments is usually egg on a very fat red face.

Jake White was always at it too and it usually came back to bite him particularly against Ireland.

Not Joe though, he's perfect ! angel

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:19 am

Think this all goes back to '73, myself. Ever since John Pullin took his team to Dublin the year after Wales and Scotland refused to travel (so denying Ireland a tilt at a possible Slam) and having lost, made the immortal speech in which he said "we may not be much good but at least we turn up", rugby relations between Ireland and England have generally been pretty cordial. England even did the decent thing of going to Croker in 07, saying all the right things and then lying down for Ireland to walk all over them!

In contrast, Wales-Ireland rugby relations have always been a bit scratchy. It was as far back as 1969 that Brian Price knocked Noel Murphy, one of Ireland's most influential players, spark out, and the Irish were convinced of the existence of a dastardly "Murphy plot". The following year, the Welsh were rather seen to dismiss Ireland's chances when they travelled to Dublin, which was all the motivation needed for Ireland to inflict a 14-0 drubbing on them, one of the most memorable games ever, if my old man was to be believed. Obviously, more recent history has seen a few other fairly testy scraps, often, as others have said, prompted by SH coaches who ought to have known better.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:33 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Think this all goes back to '73, myself. Ever since John Pullin took his team to Dublin the year after Wales and Scotland refused to travel (so denying Ireland a tilt at a possible Slam) and having lost, made the immortal speech in which he said "we may not be much good but at least we turn up", rugby relations between Ireland and England have generally been pretty cordial.

yes, England received a standing ovation at Lansdowne clap clap clap clap just for running out on the pitch in 1973. Lot of mutual respect between these two.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Anglo-Irish relations: It's one of the few things in my lifetime where we can honestly and with great relief say things have got better. Much better. In a world where so much gets buggered up that makes it special in my book.

Not saying things are perfect or anything like that but there's so much less poison there, as a consequence of much effort from people on all sides. Was very surprised to have Martin McGuinness on my list of personal heroes, and to see the reigning British monarch visit the Republic was frankly jawdropping. Didn't expect it to happen in my lifetime, if you'd asked me 30 years ago.

And what better way of celebrating this than sending two teams of lads to knock lumps out of eachother for 80 mins? Very Happy

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51 pm

We still gave you Terry Wogan, Cowshot .... so I wouldn't feel all that cuddly towards us. We did dump him on yis - showing no mercy in the process Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 pm

Hmmm try asking the relatives of the innocent victims of the birminghgam bombings who have never received justice whether Martic McGuiness is on their hero list. I'd hazard a guess thats its a no.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Terry Wogan was the only thing that made my mother smile before 10am. My whole family owes him an immense debt of gratitude. No. It's the boy bands I struggle to cope with... Wink

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Hmmm try asking the relatives of the innocent victims of the birminghgam bombings who have never received justice whether Martic McGuiness is on their hero list. I'd hazard a guess thats its a no.

Yeah, and I understand that. But it's the journey he made from that sort of thing to being one of the key figures who created the peace that exists now that makes him one of my heroes.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:07 pm

For every U2, snow patrol, Ash there's westlife, boyz, jedward, cors etc. Sailed up the river into Cork on HMS Sutherland, Union flag flying the lot in 02. Couple of minor protests but we couldn't have been made more welcome in the city. Great laugh with the locals.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Breadvan wrote:For every U2, snow patrol, Ash there's westlife, boyz, jedward, cors etc. Sailed up the river into Cork on HMS Sutherland, Union flag flying the lot in 02. Couple of minor protests but we couldn't have been made more welcome in the city. Great laugh with the locals.

Watch the Corrs on mute. Much better Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next