The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healey's At It Again!

+20
bedfordwelsh
SurreyBlue
Comfort
SecretFly
red_stag
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
gnollbeast
Knowsit17
beshocked
Chunky Norwich
rodders
Equo Troiano
mckay1402
geoff999rugby
killer938
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
maestegmafia
eirebilly
Londonwelsh
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Healey's At It Again! Empty Healey's At It Again!

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:12 am

Taken from walesonline.co.uk

Outspoken former England star Austin Healey gives Wales no hope in Six Nations

AUSTIN HEALEY might not be everybody’s cup of tea, but he never disappoints when it comes to speaking his mind.

The cheeky English chappie just can’t resist firing verbal bullets in most directions but it’s his candour and biting tongue which seem to wind up people the most.

Some Welsh supporters reading this will be angered by his remarks concerning Wales.

“They played well in one game, against Ireland, at the World Cup, no two but they lost that one, against South Africa, because they didn’t have the self-belief to win it,” declared Healey.

Informed Wales had won just three of their last 54 Tests against the southern hemisphere big three of New Zealand, South Africa and Australia, he quipped: “That’s good for Wales!”

Healy couldn’t resist a dig at his old sparring partner Graham Henry, the former Wales coach who was the architect of New Zealand lifting the World Cup last October.

It was Healey and his England pal Matt Dawson who condemned Henry’s leadership of the Lions tour of Australia 11 years ago.

They were important members of his squad, but their hugely controversial newspaper columns provoked outrage and they were accused by some of betrayal.

Henry this week warned England’s interim coach, Stuart Lancaster a zero tolerance approach to poor discipline in the Red Rose squad would end in failure.

But Healey retorted: “I have worked with him before and, as usual, Henry is talking a load of rubbish.

“I remember Wales had disciplinary problems before the World Cup, but they stamped it out and haven’t had any since.”

Healey has never been one to mince his words when it comes to talking about Wales.

In the past, he’s criticised fitness levels, attitude, commitment and dubbed the surface of the pitch at the Millennium Stadium as akin to playing on a beach.

However, scrape away the headline-grabbing barbs and the quips and much of what the ‘Leicester Lip’ says is just downright commonsense.

It shouldn’t be forgotten he was a proven winner, with the Lions in South Africa in 1997, in England Grand Slam successes and with Leicester in the Heineken Cup and English Premiership.

So his views on Welsh hopes in the looming 2012 Six Nations are worthy of debate.

“I think Wales will struggle in this championship because how the fixtures fall is bad for them,” was Healey’s assessment.

That will raise eyebrows because many believe Wales will prosper on the back of the World Cup and because they have Scotland, Italy and France at the Millennium Stadium.

But Healey argued: “Going to Dublin to face the Irish in their first game is really tough. I can’t see Wales winning that one.

“The Irish are flying; they’ve got three teams through to the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup and have a strong squad.

“I’m expecting Ireland to beat Wales by at least 14 points. Put me on the spot and I’d say 27-9 because the Irish players have been doing so well in Europe.

“Jonny Sexton has been sensational for Leinster and will control the midfield if Jamie Roberts isn’t playing for Wales.

“Jonathan Davies is playing really well for the Scarlets, but Wales without Roberts, Rhys Priestland and Shane Williams?

“Without Priestland you’re not as good and Wales will miss Shane much more than Ireland will Brian O’Driscoll.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how Wales play without Shane. Subconsciously, I think it will have a big impact because often they weren’t doing anything and Shane would come up with a half-break or moment of brilliance to win matches.

“It will be pretty tough for Wales. I’m predicting they will finish in fourth in the Six Nations table with only two wins, against Scotland and Italy.

“France will win it with England second and Ireland third.

“If Ireland were playing France and England in Dublin, I’d be tipping them. It’s just the way the fixtures fall.

“I just think the French will be too strong. Philippe Saint-Andre, their new coach, will bring them together and they will play with more flair.

“If they get injuries, they have got so much strength in depth to call upon without weakening their side.”

Despite questioning who Wales beat at the World Cup and pointing out they’ve lost their last three matches – Australia (twice) and France – Healey didn’t totally dismiss their performances Down Under.

“I don’t think they were fortunate. They beat some of the opposition which was put in front of them,” he said.

“The good thing was it was the fittest Wales team I have seen and they should be able to carry that into this Six Nations.

“But, like I said, too many things are against them.”

Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Healey's At It Again! Empty Re: Healey's At It Again!

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:18 am

When Healy talks like this, it goes in one ear and out the other.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:23 am

I had a red Austin Heeley 3000 as a hire car in California once. It was wonderful a real head turner. They don't make cars like that any more. It was more stylish than an AC Ace which I thought were quite boxy, and more Grundy than an e-type.

A friend in Richmond had one years later, was a poor starter and the roof leaked like a sieve. Definitely a much better car to drive in California.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:28 am

Some of what Healey says is hard to argue against. This though is nonsense

"The Irish are flying; they’ve got three teams through to the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup and have a strong squad".

“I’m expecting Ireland to beat Wales by at least 14 points. Put me on the spot and I’d say 27-9 because the Irish players have been doing so well in Europe.

The Irish provinces success in Europe will make no difference to Ireland's Six Nations campaign. It's a lazy assumption to make.
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 7:35 am

LW

He hasn't said anything that most welsh fans haven't said themselves on several threads several times on these boards.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:15 am

Aside from England coming second I cant see anything hes said being too controversial

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Aside from England coming second I cant see anything hes said being too controversial
Well we were all too polite to mention that..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:21 am

Londonwelsh wrote:Some of what Healey says is hard to argue against. This though is nonsense

"The Irish are flying; they’ve got three teams through to the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup and have a strong squad".

The Irish provinces success in Europe will make no difference to Ireland's Six Nations campaign. It's a lazy assumption to make.

No, what you just said is nonsense. Of course it makes a difference. If you have players who are playing well and are used to winning then of course it makes a difference when it comes to playing internationally, especially when you are coming up against a lot of the players who have just recently beaten.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:26 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Aside from England coming second I cant see anything hes said being too controversial

I agree with that

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:35 am

Ihave to admit that I agree with him. I do think Wales will struggle and I think we're getting spanked by Ireland
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:48 am

I was just looking at the performance figures for the Austin Healey Sprite, not very good at all. They always seemed quite nippy? I had a good friend at university who owned one...

It is amazing how things have changed performance and economy wise...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 03 Feb 2012, 8:54 am

Londonwelsh wrote:

No its not, its plain common sense. If you honestly think that Provincial form will have no baring on International performance, you're delusional.

Distasteful as Healy's comments may be to some, they're perfectly valid and are probably correct. Sure Wales are playing the best rugby thay have for a while now, but i've yet to see anything that would suggest to me they're the real deal. I have them to finish 3rd (above England), but they'll get a tonking in Dublin, mark my words.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:02 am

I agree with most of what Healey said and its pretty similar to what a lot of pundits have been saying.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:03 am

killer938 wrote:
Londonwelsh wrote:Some of what Healey says is hard to argue against. This though is nonsense

No, what you just said is nonsense. Of course it makes a difference. If you have players who are playing well and are used to winning then of course it makes a difference when it comes to playing internationally, especially when you are coming up against a lot of the players who have just recently beaten.

Killer, when you look at Wales then you'll see that it doesn't make a difference. Name me a year that Wales has done well in the Heineken Cup? Never is the answer. Yet we have 2 grand slams/championship titles in the last 7 years. That suggests that you don't need to be doing well in Europe to do well in the 6N.

Look at it another way, and this is no disrespect to Ireland (my second team/nation by the way - Irish mum!), but Ireland have been very successful in the Heineken Cup on a number of years over the past decade but only have 1 6N champioship win to show for it. That also suggests that HC success doesn't mean 6N success.

Personally, I think Ireland will win this one. Not because of their current European club form but because they've got home advantage, Wales has some key injuries (who doesn't I hear you cry?!), and I think they'll be out for revenge which is always going to be difficult to counter away from home.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:04 am

It does amaze me how Healeys generation fail to be able to compliment anything about other nations rugby teams. Dayglo is the same. Johnson was awful as a manager for the lack of respect he showed for rivals, almost contempt full.

Probably all those tears of denying them Grandslams. I think we all did it in consecutive seasons.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:07 am

maestegmafia wrote:It does amaze me how Healeys generation fail to be able to compliment anything about other nations rugby teams.

I thought he was pretty complimentary about France and Ireland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:10 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Probably all those tears of denying them Grandslams. I think we all did it in consecutive seasons.

Great comment - and you're amazed by the contempt shown by these players? Irony at its best.

Healey, Dayglo et el ran rough shod over Wales as a matter of course (as did most teams of that era frankly) and they're perfectly entitled to their opinions. In fact, he was complimentary about Ireland and France wasn't he?

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:28 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Everyone denied Wales a grandslam in 2003

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:34 am

I love Austin Healy. Those who get so wound up by him have lost the battle. (He does try and use humour as a defence emchanism too much on ESPN but he's alright)

And besides - That article is absolutely spot on.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:49 am

2nd isn't out of the question for England. If they can beat Scotland first up then they'll have Italy away then winnable games against Ireland and Wales at Twickenham. Beating France away might be too much though.

I think Austin Healey talks sense though lacks a bit of diplomacy.

Wales are a good side but with key players missing against a confident Ireland they could get beaten quite badly.

Betting the French will be champions is not surprising. They have Ireland,England and Italy at home.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:00 am

English man in not giving Welsh rugby a cat in hells chance shocker!!!!

Who cares what he thinks? maybe his mum and some old daft Tigers season ticket holders.

Little man beating his chest again.

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:07 am

Killer, when you look at Wales then you'll see that it doesn't make a difference. Name me a year that Wales has done well in the Heineken Cup? Never is the answer. Yet we have 2 grand slams/championship titles in the last 7 years. That suggests that you don't need to be doing well in Europe to do well in the 6N.

Look at it another way, and this is no disrespect to Ireland (my second team/nation by the way - Irish mum!), but Ireland have been very successful in the Heineken Cup on a number of years over the past decade but only have 1 6N champioship win to show for it. That also suggests that HC success doesn't mean 6N success.

Personally, I think Ireland will win this one. Not because of their current European club form but because they've got home advantage, Wales has some key injuries (who doesn't I hear you cry?!), and I think they'll be out for revenge which is always going to be difficult to counter away from home.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying but I think the major difference this year is that it isn't just one Irish team that is doing well in the Heineken Cup. If you look, generally it has been just Munster and then Leinster who have been successful. This year you have both of those plus Ulster so every Irish player will be going in feeling great which makes a huge difference. I am not saying they will win it but they will have all the confidence in the word going in to the competition.

Viewtothegym: so someone says that Wales don't have a chance and that makes them a little man beating their chest? I better start beating then. He is just telling the truth which is without the players he mentioned you are not as a good a team and really are massive underdogs playing Ireland away (you would be even with those players in my opinion)

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:I love Austin Healy. Those who get so wound up by him have lost the battle. (He does try and use humour as a defence emchanism too much on ESPN but he's alright)

No body gets wound up by him. He is very predictable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

And a bit of a plank...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:14 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:I love Austin Healy. Those who get so wound up by him have lost the battle. (He does try and use humour as a defence emchanism too much on ESPN but he's alright)

No body gets wound up by him. He is very predictable.

Again, the irony is quite staggering.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

Only a man with an opinion, no part of it by any means ludicrously against reason. Open to be proven wrong is the most I think you can say against it. I'm hardly a Healey lover and still fondly recall him getting riled while Jiffy laughed at him in 09 but you can't get much more childish than writing a subjective sensationalist thread just because the man's opinion differs largely from yours. Natural disagreement is allowed btw.

In any case (and I'm still holding my breathe on the doubts), one of his lines can be seen as encouraging: he suggests that if Roberts is fit, which is starting to look likely, the Irish backline will struggle through the 9-10 channel (ok, I know those aren't his words but some might interpret as much Yahoo ).

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by gnollbeast Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:17 am

It's funny when the only pre match mind games for an entire nation all seem to come from Austin Healey.

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:21 am

gnollbeast wrote:It's funny when the only pre match mind games for an entire nation all seem to come from Austin Healey Warren Gatland.

Although hes been strangely quiet so far this year

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gnollbeast Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

Gatland needs to keep his gob shut. The players did the talking in the world cup and that needs to continue.

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

As PSW has stated, the only mind games coming from an entire nation are usually attributable to Warren Gatland, although, for some reason, he's been strangely quiet this year. Probably because he knows Wales are going to struggle and opening his big trap might not be such a good idea.

Healy is hardly playing mind games, he's stating informed opinion that only the dullest would argue wasn't almost completely true.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:24 am

Knowsit17 wrote:Natural disagreement is allowed btw.

That'll come as a shock for quite a few posters on here.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

Equo Troiano wrote: wasn't almost completely true.

Do you mean is completely true or is not completely true or is factually correct in parts but not in others...?

You should elaborate...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

No, its completely true. My mistake.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

And cue the wumming which for some reason seems more appealing to people than acting their age and just saying "I disagree". I know, tough to pronounce init!

No, Healey's opinion does not oppose reason in this case and no, disagreeing with him isn't reserved for the dullest. Is it really so hard to keep an open mind and not swing to one extremity or another?

Some people Rolling Eyes

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

Killer, when you look at Wales then you'll see that it doesn't make a difference. Name me a year that Wales has done well in the Heineken Cup? Never is the answer.

Didn't the last grandslam coincide with the Cardiff Blues and the Hairsprays making the knock out rounds? Or am I getting my seasons mixed up?

Agree with PSW, apart from the optimism on an English finish he is pretty much spot on. Wish he was doing the commentary with Ben Kay as their bickering makes me laugh.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:52 am

Healey's worked as a touchside pundit for the BBC before, hopefully he's back for this year's Six Nations. Like the best pundits, he has something to say and he says it clearly.*

* - Ripped off Matthew Arnold.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:56 am

As with any WUM there is a flavour of truth to what Healy says.

RE: Ireland and the Provinces - England's 2003 team had very strong team winning HECs in 2000, 20001 and 2002. South Africa won 2007 HEC with an all South African Super Rugby final. France delivered Grand Slam in 2010 with two French teams in HEC final. When Ireland delivered their Slam it was with back to back Irish HEC victories. In 2007 Llanelli had an amazing HEC winning 6 out of 6 against London Irish, Toulouse and Ulster. The following year the Ospreys were superb and it was an complete upset that they lost in the quarter finals. They were playing amazing and 13 of them were picked for the Grandslam team.

Its very silly to say club form has no bearing.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Killer, when you look at Wales then you'll see that it doesn't make a difference. Name me a year that Wales has done well in the Heineken Cup? Never is the answer.

Didn't the last grandslam coincide with the Cardiff Blues and the Hairsprays making the knock out rounds? Or am I getting my seasons mixed up?
Agree with PSW, apart from the optimism on an English finish he is pretty much spot on. Wish he was doing the commentary with Ben Kay as their bickering makes me laugh.

It could quite well have done, but reaching the knowkout stages alone is hardly sucess. We've never been good enough to get close to winning it (with the current regions) yet those same players have won two 6N championships. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Similarly, I woudn't write off England's chances in this year's 6N just beacuse they only got one team through to the knockout stages of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:01 am

red_stag wrote:As with any WUM there is a flavour of truth to what Healy says.

RE: Ireland and the Provinces - England's 2003 team had very strong team winning HECs in 2000, 20001 and 2002. South Africa won 2007 HEC with an all South African Super Rugby final. France delivered Grand Slam in 2010 with two French teams in HEC final. When Ireland delivered their Slam it was with back to back Irish HEC victories. In 2007 Llanelli had an amazing HEC winning 6 out of 6 against London Irish, Toulouse and Ulster. The following year the Ospreys were superb and it was an complete upset that they lost in the quarter finals. They were playing amazing and 13 of them were picked for the Grandslam team.

Its very silly to say club form has no bearing.

I'm glad a welshman didn't come out with that Stag as we would have been accused of 'ifs, buts and maybes'! They didn't get past the 1/4s because they weren't good enough, surely.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:02 am

Griff in 2008 the Ospreys were fantastic. It was a major upset when Sarries beat them.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:02 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Yep and in 2005 it coincided with the regions all getting knocked out in the groups. Could there be clearer evidence that, at least in Wales if not in Ireland too, club level can have little to no bearing on the national stage? Four seasons out of five an Irish province has won the Heino and the national side fallen short of the 6/5N title.

That's my view anyway. It'd be ignorant to say that your country's clubs doing well in Europe isn't cause for optimism but coincidently it can mean squat. Anyone feel free to disagree.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

I think Healy is either someone you listen to or someone you don't. That's distinctly different to someone you like or don't like.

He has something to say and does say it clearly - but, personally, I just never listen to him. And besides, I do hate those mid-game passovers to the guy with the 'serious work getting done here' microphone...who warbles a few little bites of detail and then back to what you tuned in to see - the game itself.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:10 am

Knowsit17,

I would say that Irelands provincial success has definitely helped the national team.

Since the 6 Nations began, Ireland has won more matches than England, Wales, Scotland and Italy. They are only 1 match behind France as having won most 6 Nations matches.

They have been an excellent Six Nations team just have usually lost an important game. They lost several championships on points difference.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:10 am

red_stag wrote:Its very silly to say club form has no bearing.

It is silly stag but it's a nice source of comfort to believe this for those fans in countries with poorly performing clubs and players not in good form domestically.

It's not the be all and end all but it certainly isn't irrelevent.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:10 am

The point he makes is that its the Irish plauyers who have been playing well. Its not a case of their clubs doing well because a former all black superstar has scored 9000tries, a lot of their success ( and its been a very strong HC so far for the Irish) is down to players who will be out on the pitch for Irleand.
In contrast Wales are missing several of their key players, and as a whole their team members havent been as strong at club level.
But yep historicaly the HC progress of clubs hasnt always directly equeated to success in the 6ns. Its not the only reason Healy offers for his view though is it.

Yes their national side did well at the world cup, and he acknowledges this. But adds the caveat that some of the peopel responsbile for wont be fit for this game ( possibly wrong mind) and that that was Wales at their best, more recent evidence suggests that they may not hit that level of form again. Ireland on the other hand for the most part played below their potential at the world cup, but the evidence we have form club performances of those players ifs that they should be on their game for the 6 nations.

The way the fixtures fall does make it tough for Wales. France look like being very strong on paper , they could beat anyone home or away. A trip to Ireland is tough for any team.
Wales will be targetting Twickenham but its not an easy trip, of those 3 fixtures its the one I give them the best chance of winning currently ( pending how we see England go). I guess my negativity toward England is where I differ from Healy.
Scotland and Italy, Wales would always hope to win those fixtures. Having them at him makes two wins pretty much in the bag ... but it means they have a couple of tough away trips and a very loseable home fixture against a side who may well be going for a slam. Honestly I think Wales should be happy if they get 3 wins, 4 would be excellent. If they do beat Ireland though ( arguably the toughest of the lot) then the slam is a possibility.

As for the general discourse yeah Im sure theres some people who will be more optimistic about Wales and England, but you shouldnt deny that Healys thinking has merit and is based on reason rather than attempts to wind up the welsh. Its far more articulate and considered than the rantings of Stephen Jones for example.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:11 am

roddersm wrote:It's not the be all and end all but it certainly isn't irrelevent.

Summed up nicely.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

when was the last time this welsh side took a "hammering" against NH opposition? just wondering.

and we know that in wales, regional form and form of the national side are irrelevant. the coaching at regional level is frankly a farce.

Irelands problem is usually motivation, they have the players to mix it at the top but they're not consistently ruthless as they can be.

its like the opposite way around to the way wales works.

the players will play their heart out for their provinces, Kidney seems to struggle to get that same fire in their bellys come international time, when he does though (England/Australia last year) they really are hard to live with. I fear that they may have the motivation they seem to need to get a stiffy for this first game.

Still, i dont see this welsh side taking a hammering against anyone in the NH.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

Equating HC performances with International is a might more complex than simply saying 'one doesn't have a bearing on the other'.

Yes, suggesting that Ireland should be always able to compete with and even beat France because of our Provincial HC record is wrong - simply because when we rely on compressing all our best players into at most three sides... France can call on the International services of players from six or seven, or even eight or nine sides. As a HC province we might be able to compete on a level playing field with any individual French club but when they call on their resources it will always be an uphill battle to sustain a good record against them

Now - Wales is different. They have roughly the same limitations as we have when it comes to regional rugby - all their best players operating in mostly three sides. In that context, giving Ireland's HC record and the present year's performances as an advantage is not altogether illogical.

Could Wales still win? - Without a shadow of a doubt.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:19 am

Even though the HC knockout stages are post-6N, the Pool stages are over before the 6N so I think it's a good indicator of how the players are doing.

In 2005, the first of the recent Welsh Grandslams, none of the regions progressed in the HC. The Blues finished bottom in their group and the Ospreys, Dragons and Scarlets finished 3rd in theirs. Probably the worst year ever for the regions (based on table placings)

In 2008, the second GS, the Blues topped their group, Ospreys went through as the 8th seed, Scarlets came last and the Dragons came 3rd. You could argue that the form that got the Ospreys and Blues through carried on to the 6N and the GS. I can believe that. The 2008 squad was very Ospreys and Blues-centric so yeah, it could have a bearing. Not sure how the Ospreys, as 8th seed, against Saracens (No.1 seed), was a huge upset when the Os lost though???! They should never have been favourites and I doubt they were. The Blues went on to the 1/4s to get absolutely haaaaaaaammmered by Toulouse. Maybe the players were knackered from celebrating the GS?

Last edited by Griff on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:20 am

Nail on the head again secretfly, you are different class of poster sir! notworthy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum