The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY

+9
JDizzle
LordDowlais
GunsGerms
bedfordwelsh
Cardiff Dave
Steffan
The Saint
aucklandlaurie
PenfroPete
13 posters

Go down

ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY Empty ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY

Post by PenfroPete Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 am

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=524887845

Where were you when Wales won the Grand Slam in 2005? Or when we beat the Springboks in the first game ever played at the Millennium Stadium in 1999? And what did you do to celebrate after Wales beat England 30-3 in 2013?

In a one-off programme, veteran commentator and broadcaster Huw Llywelyn Davies delves through the BBC archives to pick out the most memorable games with contributions from some of the most familiar faces in Welsh rugby, past and present. Goreuon Rygbi Huw Llywelyn Davies will be shown on S4C on Thursday night 5 February.

Huw Llywelyn Davies was the voice of national, club and regional Welsh rugby from S4C's inception in 1982 until last year. From the Triple Crown of 1988 to the Grand Slam in 2005, beating England to win the championship in 2013 and the 1995 South Africa World Cup fiinal, Huw takes us on an exciting and emotional journey through the ups and downs of Welsh rugby.

"After commentating on rugby games in Welsh for over 30 years, there are so many memorable games, not only in terms of the quality or excitement of the game but also the importance of the occasion," says Huw, who's originally from Gwaun Cae Gurwen in the Amman Valley.

"The final of the Rugby World Cup in 2015 1995 was an unforgettable experience. Nelson Mandela had been elected president in the previous year, and he wore a Springboks shirt – a very powerful and symbolic gesture.

"Timing is everything when it comes to rugby. And I had to wait 26 years to get the chance to commentate on a Grand Slam-winning match in 2005. That was a real buzz and such an honour, especially since Wales won the Grand Slam three times during the 'golden age' of the 1970s.

"One of the best games in my opinion was the match between France and New Zealand in the 1999 Rugby World Cup, when Jonah Lomu rammed through the French in the first half and France dancing circles around the All Blacks in the second half!", explains Huw, who now lives in Pentyrch near Cardiff.

Many famous faces from the world of rugby also share their favourite memories, including former Wales captain and presenter Jonathan Davies, Wales forwards trainer Robin McBryde, former international players Kevin Morgan and Craig Quinnell and current players such as Ryan Jones and Dwayne Peel among others. They'll be discussing the games that made the biggest impression on them and telling the story of Welsh rugby over the decades.

Last edited by PenfroPete on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY Empty Re: ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:40 am

Did he mention who won that 2015 World Cup final?

"The final of the Rugby World Cup in 2015 was an unforgettable experience. Nelson Mandela had been elected president in the previous year, and he wore a Springboks shirt – a very powerful and symbolic gesture.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY Empty Re: ONE MAN'S MEMORIES OF 30 YEARS OF INTERNATIONAL (Welsh) RUGBY

Post by The Saint Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:40 am

PenfroPete wrote:http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=524887845

Where were you when Wales won the Grand Slam in 2005? Or when we beat the Springboks in the first game ever played at the Millennium Stadium in 1999? And what did you do to celebrate after Wales beat England 30-3 in 2013?

I remember this. After the game a bunch of Scots weren't too happy with the stadium being incomplete, as the South African players aren't used to UK weather and could have caught a cold. There was a poll in the newspaper, should the millennium stadium roof always be closed? Those Welsh are bringing the game into disrepute by letting the opposition get soaked, they said.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 am

laughing Just a cut n paste Laurie, about the standard of the "Media" these days though !!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 am

No worries Pete, I agree with Huw, the 1995 final was an unforgetable experience - But do you think I can forget it?

Out of curiosity is Huw the welsh equivalent of Hugh?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am

Aah, Grand Slam 2005 - that was Cool
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:Out of curiosity is Huw the welsh equivalent of Hugh?
Yes. Pronounced exactly the same

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 am

Its a far more efficient way of spelling it.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:58 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:No worries Pete, I agree with Huw, the 1995 final was an unforgetable experience - But do you think I can forget it?

Out of curiosity is Huw the welsh equivalent of Hugh?

Aah, watched that final in a bar in Edinburgh in an ANZAC jersey praying for an All Blacks win (no offence Biltong but friends from Auckland, Christchurch, BOP, Wellington & Northland) Yes, Hugh is the equivalent of Huw
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:16 am

At HQ we were dead and buried at half time...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7215056.stm
Scott Gibbs, Wembley of course.
Devereux; sit down son and you too.
The 2 games we lost at the 2003 RWC against England and NZ.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:27 pm

[quote="PenfroPete"]http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=524887845

2005 GS - I was in a pub in Cardiff couldn't get a ticket no surprise.

99 1st Springbok win - I was in the stadium pretty much in line with where Taylor went over.

30-3 - Was in the Owain in Cardiff.

Adding to that list our first win at Twickenham in 08 since the year dot - Was in the stadium and it made up for all those times through the 90s when I went there and left on the back of a good thumping

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:33 pm

"One of the best games in my opinion was the match between France and New Zealand in the 1999 Rugby World Cup, when Jonah Lomu rammed through the French in the first half and France dancing circles around the All Blacks in the second half!", explains Huw, who now lives in Pentyrch near Cardiff.

This is one of my favorite ever games. Christophe LaMaison, best performance by anyone on a WC match?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 pm

I was at the game in 1999 for the first ever game in there, only half a stadium, but we still mad a massive noise. I still have the ticket stub and the Western Mail paper from the Sunday afterwards, it has Rob Howley and Peter Rogers celebrating on the front page. For the 2005 Grand Slam, I was at the England game at the start, very cold, but I could not get a ticket for the Ireland game for love nor money.So I watched it in the club, I was luck enough to be in the Stadium for the England game when we won the 6N recently, the Nelson Mandela WC, how could we forget that, the whole how do you stop Jonah Lomu world cup, I was a young 17yr old then with the world at my feet, good times, unless you were supporting Wales at that time.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:30 am

[quote="bedfordwelsh"]
PenfroPete wrote:http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=524887845

2005 GS - The Park Faults pub in Cardiff (Now shut down for good and a bookies)

99 1st Springbok win - The New Inn (local pub in home village)

30-3 against England - Livelounge in Cardiff

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:07 am

I remember going into to Cardiff and had said to myself that if I get a offered a ticket then I would be willing to go to £150 to get it.

Cheapest I had a chance of was around the £200 mark so ended up in pub lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 am

2005 - Hannover, Germany with work. Probably my best day as a Welsh fan, as I randomly met another Welsh bloke to celebrate with (and who then found me a club to play for in Hannover) and I remember a German randomly coming up to me in the street congratulating Wales (which I thought was great considering rugby isn't that big there).

1999 - Can't really remember watching. Probably in Risca RFC.

2013 - Think I was in Dubai. Was good fun winding the English officers up that day.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 am

1999 - I was only 6, so it didn't really register!

2005 - I was old enough to remember it this time, and a bunch of us were round a friend's house for the England game, which was brilliant. I didn't live through the dark times, so whilst I loved the rugby the GS wasn't a big a deal for me as many!

2013 - A bar in Durham at Uni. I had to leave and watch the second half at home on my own as I was getting to stressed and animated surrounded by chest thumping Geordies! Wink

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:10 am

1999 - Just returned home after 6 months in the Falklands

2005 - Working for securicor in the Bridgend area that day. Shops were v quiet for some reason...

2013 - Sulking in the kitchen
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:17 pm

Breadvan wrote:1999 - Just returned home after 6 months in the Falklands

2005 - Working for securicor in the Bridgend area that day. Shops were v quiet for some reason...

2013 - Sulking in the kitchen

Bread,

I was prepping to go to Falklands when the 99 WC kicked off, had ticket to the opening game and ceremony and the Final but as it was ended up in Kuwait lol.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:01 am

GunsGerms wrote:"One of the best games in my opinion was the match between France and New Zealand in the 1999 Rugby World Cup, when Jonah Lomu rammed through the French in the first half and France dancing circles around the All Blacks in the second half!", explains Huw, who now lives in Pentyrch near Cardiff.

This is one of my favorite ever games. Christophe LaMaison, best performance by anyone on a WC match?

Ummm? Not better than Lomus effort versus England probably, or, Lomus in that very same match! At least Lomus tries didn't require an enormous amount of luck on the bounce that day...ran through and around them..with ball in hand...didn't need kicks and chips and bounces. Just the ball, hands...and feet.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:41 am

GunsGerms wrote:"One of the best games in my opinion was the match between France and New Zealand in the 1999 Rugby World Cup, when Jonah Lomu rammed through the French in the first half and France dancing circles around the All Blacks in the second half!", explains Huw, who now lives in Pentyrch near Cardiff.

Umaga was lamentable that day, as was the NZ pack who were eaten alive in the 3rd quarter. Never seen a NZ team capitulate so easily. Bad food or bad ref?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRugbyMaster Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 am

Gwlad wrote:

Umaga was lamentable that day, as was the NZ pack who were eaten alive in the 3rd quarter. Never seen a NZ team capitulate so easily. Bad food or bad ref?

Believe it was a case of thinking they'd won before they won. At the time I thiught France were playing sublime rugby, but have you tried to watch it again? The All Blacks looked like they were sleep walking. Lamentable stuff and set the tone for the next two implosions.

TheRugbyMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down