The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...????

3 posters

Go down

Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...???? Empty Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...????

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Jan 2015, 8:34 am

This thought arises after conversation with friends last night who claimed that the compensation by a national union is enough to sway even a non-marginal decision in favour of a non foreign player.

We all want to see our potential international stars get game time. How does this scenario work at the club you support?

Does anyone know how it works in France...???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...???? Empty Re: Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...????

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Jan 2015, 10:08 am

The Welsh Rugby Union pay the regions for the access to Welsh players via the agreement they have been hammering out over the last 12 month or so.

The WRU place a cap on the number of non Welsh qualified players allowed in each regional match day squad.

At the Ospreys, Matevasi (Fijian), Ardron (Canadian) and Arhip (Macedonian) are all regularly in the first XV.

Ardron is there as all our other eights are injured, Matavasi and Arhip because they are the best in their position.

I think it would be hard for any Welsh player to shift either of these three lads...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...???? Empty Re: Would a foreign player be selected over a non foreign player at the club you support...????

Post by Guest Sat 31 Jan 2015, 10:10 am

Hmmm. Well the Dragons have just annoucned a few more foreign players. And some of our Welsh lads have departed to England. So, there's bound to be times when there're picked over Welsh options. What's the point of buying them and having them in the squad unless you're going to play them?!

I do not have a problem with foreign players, as long as the number is capped per squad. We cannot compete with others if we just rely on one gene pool (Wales). It would also drive up the price of Welsh players if we were only able to pick Welsh boys at club level - e.g. The 4th best tighthead in wales, for example, would be able to name his price as the 4th region would be so desperate to pick him/give him a contract.

So next season we will be giving game time to this Pretorius chap over Rees and AN Other at no. 9; Crosswell the flanker from NZ is starting today against Exeter (over a Welsh player). Stankovich is our first choice TH when fit, over Welsh squad options.

Maybe I don't understand thee OP, but any national union compensation doesn't seem to be deterring the Dragons. Do we have compensation in Wales?

I think the question should be "Would we ever have a situation where foreign players are not allowed in our clubs". Can't see it myself!

Edit: just seen your 2nd post. So the Welsh agreements and compo doesn't seem to be deterring the Dragons. But I don't think they're any different to anyone else. We're not breaking rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 31 Jan 2015, 7:39 pm

Well we have quite a few foreigners at the moment but we have a host of young academy lads who've been blooded in the European competition. They will be the core of the side in the next few years so it will be a predominantly English (local Newcastle) / British side.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 01 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:The Welsh Rugby Union pay the regions for the access to Welsh players via the agreement they have been hammering out over the last 12 month or so.

The WRU place a cap on the number of non Welsh qualified players allowed in each regional match day squad.

At the Ospreys, Matevasi (Fijian), Ardron (Canadian) and Arhip (Macedonian) are all regularly in the first XV.

Ardron is there as all our other eights are injured, Matavasi and Arhip because they are the best in their position.

I think it would be hard for any Welsh player to shift either of these three lads...

The NWQ quota would have been cut by two I believe, had the original PA been carried forward. As it is, under the new RSA, the quota has remained the same ie 6+2.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down