The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov?

+7
John Bloody Wayne
sittingringside
catchweight
Gerry SA
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
11 posters

Go down

Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov? Empty Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov?

Post by hazharrison Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

Surprised there hasn't been anything on this week's decider between Rios and Alvarado. Here's a couple of previews:

http://bloguin.com/queensberryrules/2015-articles/reunited-feels-bad-rios-vs-alvarado-iii.html

http://thecruelestsport.com/2015/01/22/enough-not-enough-brandon-rios-mike-alvarado-iii-preview/

Also, Oscar is trying to make Matthysse vs Provodnikov with his new pal Bob (but Provo may yet be Pacquiao's back up plan once the inevitable news breaks). What a fight that would be. Who wins?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov? Empty Re: Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

I'll be honest and say I'd like to see Alvarado retire...

Took some real leather in the last year or so..

Wants to be careful..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov? Empty Re: Rios vs Alvarado 3; Matthysse vs Provodnikov?

Post by hazharrison Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'll be honest and say I'd like to see Alvarado retire...

Took some real leather in the last year or so..

Wants to be careful..

There's a pair of then but what else would they do? I don't imagine retirement would offer Alvarado any better options. He's got more legal issues than Perry Mason (or was it Ironside?)

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:13 pm

He'll enjoy having his faculties and money problems...more than having money without his faculties..

Matty v Provo...Is a sadist's delight....Be like Cooper v Willie Dewitt !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 23 Jan 2015, 9:43 pm

Think that the current run of both fighters puts a dampener on what will be a war

My only worry is that in both fights Rios has hurt alvarado quite badly. In the first fight alvarado couldn't recover, he ended up going toe to toe and getting in a war and being stopped. In the second he had to ride it out which he managed then managed to dictatre the fight and dig deep whenever he had to. Now Alvarado has taken a pummelling in his last two since the rematch, and doesn't look as strong as he was in the second Rios fight. With that said when rios hurts him, which he will, I don't think he has the body to withstand the barrage and will end up getting stopped. He'll go out on his shield throwing punches, but he can't really hurt rios

Mathhysse Prodnikov is another war, one which hopefully gets made as both these fighters need a win to stay relevant and unlike Rios or Alvarado both can still make a good run at 140 particularly Lucas. Lucas is the sarter boxer and the heavier handed imo but Ruslan is relentless and is stronger on the inside as Matthysse is at his best when he's got room to get his full power behind his punches

Rios KO round 8 im going with. Alvarado should definitely retire after this fight win or lose and Rios not long after, both of these fighters have lost something and have absorbed too much punishment in their careers

Matthysse KO round 10 ruslan, either of these two would end the career of either of Rios or Alvarado no matter who wins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 23 Jan 2015, 9:52 pm

Think Mile High Mike is taking one fight too many to be honest. He's taken a lot of punishment in his recent fights. I don't want to see Alvarado getting badly hurt.

That said I think Rios will win setting up a title fight with someone at 147.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 24 Jan 2015, 8:22 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Think that the current run of both fighters puts a dampener on what will be a war

My only worry is that in both fights Rios has hurt alvarado quite badly. In the first fight alvarado couldn't recover, he ended up going toe to toe and getting in a war and being stopped. In the second he had to ride it out which he managed then managed to dictatre the fight and dig deep whenever he had to. Now Alvarado has taken a pummelling in his last two since the rematch, and doesn't look as strong as he was in the second Rios fight. With that said when rios hurts him, which he will, I don't think he has the body to withstand the barrage and will end up getting stopped. He'll go out on his shield throwing punches, but he can't really hurt rios

Mathhysse Prodnikov is another war, one which hopefully gets made as both these fighters need a win to stay relevant and unlike Rios or Alvarado both can still make a good run at 140 particularly Lucas. Lucas is the sarter boxer and the heavier handed imo but Ruslan is relentless and is stronger on the inside as Matthysse is at his best when he's got room to get his full power behind his punches

Rios KO round 8 im going with. Alvarado should definitely retire after this fight win or lose and Rios not long after, both of these fighters have lost something and have absorbed too much punishment in their careers

Matthysse KO round 10 ruslan, either of these two would end the career of either of Rios or Alvarado no matter who wins

Good calls on both. I'd much rather see Matthysse vs Ruslan than Pacquiao vs Provodnikov. Saying that, if Oscar can do business with Bob, why can't they make Pacquiao vs Matthysse?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 24 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm

Mathysse v Provodnikov is a bollix tingling fight

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 24 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

Matthysse vs Provodnikov would be absolute box office savagery. Bring it on.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 24 Jan 2015, 10:38 pm

Gotta reckon Pacquiao makes Lucas looks a bit daft and his stock plummets. If Lucas takes his punchers chance and chins pacmam then he's over.

The loser of Lucas v Ruslan will probably go down in a competitive fight that raises their stock - Matthsse/Molina style.

The violence.....the horror....the brutality

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 24 Jan 2015, 10:39 pm

Plus Matthysse has luscious hair

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 24 Jan 2015, 10:46 pm

I think it could be a fairly one sided massacre, Matthyse is a lot more technically sounded, bit quicker and hits harder.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that Provodnikov has never been dropped or KO'd as an amateur or a pro. Whereas Matthysse's chin has started to show signs of not being a granite strong anymore(dropped by Garcia and twice by Molina).

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:06 am

Fancy Rios to win the decider. Like to see Alvarado retire after this.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:14 am

I feel somewhat like Ruslan HAS to get hit to get to Matthysse, whereas for Lucas it isn't a necessity

In the opening fight of the Rios v Alvarado undercard, a powerful but apathetic country gentleman is in a battle of wills for the heart of a fair maiden with a passionate but slovenly ragabond. I may be on the wrong channel.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:41 am

I love how It's Bunce's job to talk about fighters and yet he mispronounces 90% of their names.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:52 am

Rios was walked to the ring with a rapper. Alvarado had no rapper. Think we know who's winning this

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:09 am

Massacre. Alvarado is in a bad way.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:10 am

Very even fight...for the first minute, then Rios realised Alvarado's gameplan involved circling but not throwing and has been putting a beatdown on him ever since. Alvarado down in the third and he's been retired by the corner. How dissapointing.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:11 am

Rios was fast and powerful, but Alvarado's clearly shot. Commentators deliberating on the possibility of a Pacquiao rematch?? K den

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:13 am

Came for a war, saw a genocide.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:17 am

Khan v Rios would be fun but Khan's a level above.

Him and Maidana are stable mates, they've sparred and Maidana's clearly higher in the Robert Garcia pecking order. Also Marcos surely ruins him

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 25 Jan 2015, 12:08 pm

Bob Arum stated after the fight he's kooking to make Juan Manuel Marquez vs Brandon Ríos in LA in June. 

Could be a decent fight but Ríos hasn't ever shown the know how against counterpunchers.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm

That was mooted ages ago but then Abril made it look like a mis match. Marquez could lose to father time in that one.

Him and Ortiz have beef, that'd be interesting. Natural talent and zero will power vs little boxing ability and iron resolve. Although I can't remember the last time Ortiz won anything

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:50 pm

Marquez would be filthy if he lost to Ríos!

Ortiz vs Ríos will never happen.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:36 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Bob Arum stated after the fight he's kooking to make Juan Manuel Marquez vs Brandon Ríos in LA in June. 

Could be a decent fight but Ríos hasn't ever shown the know how against counterpunchers.

They could stick Curry vs Starling 3...............on the undercard..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

So, what with this looking pretty mouthwatering before being totally one sided, how many people actually watched Rios v Alvarado III, other than myself, our Mexican amigo and catchweight?

I'm always curious, as everyone goes uber deep into discussions about promoters, records, motives, etc. who actually enjoys watching a tear up for the sake of it?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:13 pm

I personally didn't watch it JBW for two reasons, 1) I didn't realise it was happening until the other two and then 2) when I did know it seemed fairly obvious Rios was going to hand out a beat down.

Rios does have an iron resolve and it is going to take a few prolonged beatings to break him, whereas Alvarado whilst tough isn't that tough and has had an air of vulnerability about him for a while now.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:21 pm

Be cool if obvious predictions got predicted before the result happened

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

That's a fair point, in hindsight it seemed obvious much like it seems obvious a Matthyse/Prov fight will go the same way.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 25 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

Think JMM Rios is a good fight. JMM is the far superior fighter and will paste Rios with shots. That said JMM can be brought into a tear up by fighters of inferior skill like Diaz and Katsidis showed. Factor in his age and smaller frame if Rios attacks with the intensity that he did vs alvarado he has a chance as he is gonna go the full 12 we know that much the man is made of steeo and never stops

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 25 Jan 2015, 9:18 pm

Victor Ortiz has called what Brandon Ríos on Twitter. Ortiz claims Ríos was his punchbag in sparring. Whilst Ríos replied saying he made Ortiz cry.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 25 Jan 2015, 9:22 pm

Who would you back in a fight between two Mexican Americans then Gerry?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 25 Jan 2015, 9:33 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Who would you back in a fight between two Mexican Americans then Gerry?
I've always been a Victor Ortiz fan. And let's be honest he's actually a boxer whilst Brandon Ríos is a slugger. 

That aside I think Ríos would eventually land on Victor's chin and Victor would give up.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 11:49 pm

Didn't catch the fight until this afternoon, JBW. Can't say I saw a blowout such as this even though I thought Rios would take it.

Very, very poor from Alvarado. I appreciate that the taxing fights of the past few years might have caught up with him to some degree, but you can't put that horror showing completely down to that. He looked as if he didn't want to be there right from the first bell, tuned his back in round two before delivering that low blow etc. He's a faded force but I still don't think he can have too many excuses for performing as badly as that. Can't see him landing another big-ish fight after that and he should seriously consider packing it in if that's the best he can muster, as it won't take anything more than a decent domestic level fighter to take him apart next time out if that's the case.

As for Rios, well I've never been a fan and it was child's play for him last night, but he's still due some credit. Seemed to have a bit of extra speed and zip in his shots, and though there weren't many punches coming back his way, he dealt pretty well with them in terms of movement when they did crop up.

If he gets matched with Marquez I still think he'll lose, even at Marquez's age. He's just too tailor-made for him and too limited. Good chance that it happens if Arum's recent matchmaking has been anything to go by, but probably one I'd catch the next day again rather than stay up for! Algieri-Rios would probably be more interesting and competitive. One to ponder, maybe.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

Rios/Prov/Matthysse - There needs to be a three way tournament between those guys.

Pass me the lube.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:43 am

Remember the old days when Managers and Promoters used to retire Boxers...........Guys like Jeff Chandler, Matty Hilton.........

Now they want to get every bit of life out of them and it's sad...........What is JMM doing at his age..??

If I lost to Provo I'd be upset...Never mind a warrior like Alvarado..

A number of us called the Alvarado fight a slaughter before it happened...

Where is the humanity ??...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down