The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence

+21
Seanusarrilius
milkyboy
theanimal316
ONETWOFOREVER
KingMonkey
TopHat24/7
huw
jimdig
Mr Bounce
Gerry SA
DuransHorse
trottb
Dipper Brown
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
hazharrison
Rowley
wheelchair1991
AdamT
catchweight
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence Empty Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence

Post by catchweight Tue 20 Jan 2015, 7:50 pm

Camps have revealed discussions are taking place for this fight to made, possibly as Wilders first defence. I think this is a great fight for the division and will ensure both a good fight and a fun build up. Both guys are coming off career best performances. Who have you got?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence Empty Re: Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence

Post by AdamT Tue 20 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

Wilder can knock fury out but I don't think he could outpoint the bigger heavier guy over 12.

Tough fight to call. I know some see Fury as an oaf but I do think he can fight if he puts his mind to it. I think it is a seriously hard fight to call. Gun to head I would probably actually lean to Fury.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence Empty Re: Wilder in talks with Fury about first defence

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:03 pm

I agree adam except gun to head id pick Wilder, however it is a tough one to call

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:05 pm

Decent first defence, irrespective of what you think this says about the division Fury is one of the better fighters in it, and will come to win. As Adam says tough fight to call because Fury is improving and seems to have got some self discipline and out of his obsession with having a tear up. Would not like to make a prediction at this point, both guys can certainly win it though, so looks a good match up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm

I'd go with Wilder but it will be a decent fight. I'd like to see them fight a series, one they can both learn from before tackling Klitschko.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:14 pm

Interesting enough fight, and if you believe some on this forum, should dwarf Wlads eight figure pay days....

Going by their last weigh ins, Fury has what, fifty pounds on Wilder? That's almost a new division. If he's disciplined, and jabs/slaps well enough, and most importantly doesn't get involved in a fire fight, he should at the very least be competitive. Personally think Wilder knocks his block off, but a win is possible.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm

Winner could fight Wlad. If you add Joshua into the mix we might have a decent era for heavyweights. Granted it's far from great but will be a vast improvement.

I enjoy watching 50-50 fights. What I love most about this sport is watching a fight were I am not convinced on the winner. That's what made the Froch, Groves rematch so interesting. Everyone had an opinion who would win but I doubt any were rushing to put the mortgage on it.

We need less ducking and more top fighters challenging themselves. Hope upcoming boxers have learned the lesson from Floyd and Manny. Egos and money should never get in the way of proving you are number one. I just hope this year, promoters can start putting young talent against each other earlier on in their careers like when Degale fought Groves.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

Wilder would knock him out in no more than three one sided rounds, he holds every advantage apart from weight, he throws a legal jab snappy jab so Fury won't be able to backhand his way to victory again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

A ha....Trussy knows best !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:35 pm

If it happens, good on Wilder for seeking out an opponent with championship ambitions of his own. Could have an easy defence against a lump looking for a pay day but if true he's taking on a top ranked guy.

Good match up.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:42 pm

Well done Wilder, you're taking an a useless slob whom despite being no bigger than you would outweigh you by three stone.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

Don't worry HH, you have the option of not watching, like you did for Fury Chisora

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm

It's a another decent heavyweight fight, nothing to grumble about here. Fury has every chance.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

Rowley wrote:Don't worry HH, you have the option of not watching, like you did for Fury Chisora

Is Fury beyond criticism or something, seems strange that almost every other boxer gets criticised on here but as soon as it's Fury the mod team get a bit uppity.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

hazharrison wrote:It's a another decent heavyweight fight, nothing to grumble about here. Fury has every chance.

It's not Ali v Frazier but I agree. It at the very least is an intriguing fight. The state the division is in beggars can't be choosers.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

That's exactly what it is, my constant defence of Fury on here has long been an embarrassment to the board.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:02 pm

Two of the top four heavyweights - both unbeaten, charismatic and exciting. There's nothing to dislike in that one.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm

Yep....beats Wlad v slob..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:25 pm

Rowley wrote:That's exactly what it is, my constant defence of Fury on here has long been an embarrassment to the board.

Fury must pay for the mods nights out. It's all making sense now... Rolling Eyes

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:26 pm

Eddie Hearn pays for the night out, Fury pays for the hookers and the coke.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

If this gets made then its brilliant as far as I'm concerned. Another learning curve for both and an exciting fight with both fighters coming to win and with everything to lose. Fighting another tall man will also help the victor see how they might do in with Wlad.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:33 pm

Looks like it's just the latter from now on, what with the "mare Eddie is having in 2015".

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:40 pm

So Fury kept stating Wlad would vacate the WBO title rather than face him, yet it will be Fury ducking Wlad...#SMH

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:52 pm

You guys have changed your tune.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

Gerry SA wrote:So Fury kept stating Wlad would vacate the WBO title rather than face him, yet it will be Fury ducking Wlad...#SMH

Wlad's fighting Bryant Jennings in New York next.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

In what sense Truss?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 20 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:So Fury kept stating Wlad would vacate the WBO title rather than face him, yet it will be Fury ducking Wlad...#SMH

Wlad vs Fury was rumored for June.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm

People didn't seem to up for it on my Wilder thread..

Maybe because I recommended it and no one likes me !! Rowley..

Story of my life....When I said I was coming here...My Mum said "I'll help you pack!!"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm

Don't think anyone particularly objects to Wilder having a couple of defences before he faces Wlad Truss, suspect most think he is a bit green yet. Also its a tough business, let him make a few quid off the belt. The Wlad fight is bigger for Wilder having a couple more wins.

However suspect where most would take issue with things is if in say, this time next year the fight is no nearer being made, as it really does need to happen, a unified champion has to be good for the blue ribbon division.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:47 pm

Fury will know that this is a more likely chance of getting a title than fighting Wlad (at least in his own mind). I personally think it will be a hugely entertaining fight as I would LOVE to see how many times a 6ft 9" big-mouth can hit the deck before the referee saves him from anymore punishment...

I don't think it's a fight that Fury can win - we all know that he's a bit chinny and not that great in defence. Whilst Wilder isn't exactly the second coming of Ali, his punching power will be much in evidence here. It won't go past 3 rounds IMHO.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:59 pm

Fury could out jab him, but I think fury would enter the ring fat and be more likely to get knocked out. I'd hope fury would get serious about his conditioning, but it seems that was only for haye. I like the fight though, and as said above it's good prep for a Wlad fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

Tough fight to call, both big guys that are pretty untested.

Can see a case for either winning it and that doesn't happen nearly enough, especially when titles are involved.

Also a far easier fight for both of them than Wlad.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:46 am

Gerry SA wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Wlad vs Fury was rumored for June.

By who???????? Have never seen/heard a credible rumour to that effect.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:49 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:People didn't seem to up for it on my Wilder thread..

Maybe because I recommended it and no one likes me !! Rowley..

Story of my life....When I said I was coming here...My Mum said "I'll help you pack!!"

I think it was more your suggestion of avoiding Wlad entirely on the basis that he didn't need him as he was a usless European slob (or words to those effect).

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 21 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

Sometimes you just have to play the cards you're dealt and as a result this is a good fight.

If Cunningham can floor Tyson then Wilder should take his head off. Plenty of heart in Fury though, could be interesting!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 21 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm

Fury is the real deal......in his head

Wilder is 1 of the WORST H/W champs in the history of the sport.

Not a great fight. I see a lot of holding. Its one of those fights where the build up is more exciting then the fight itself.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

Think it will be a very entertaining fight if it happens. Tough one to call but I'll lean towards Fury on points, think he might make his size tell over the distance.

Anyone else apart from me (and Hayemaker) think that Haye would chin Wilder? I suspect he'd love that fight as his way of getting back to the big time.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

interesting fight, two unbeaten guys, what's not to like? Fury gets to test his glass jaw out against the new mike tyson. If it stands up to it, we know the new mike tyson was actualy the new jeff lacey. And if his jaw doesn't stand up to it, then everyone gets the joy of watching the big oaf they hate so much get his comeuppance.

Maybe we could just credit them both, if the fight happens, for at least taking it... and watch with interest?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

Gonna be around 30 pounds heavier at least..........

Fury early or forget it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:23 pm

Can't see Wilder taking on Fury first, unless his camp are certain he beats him, which he probably would.

Tarver is under Haymon. Tarver was bailed out by Al after he mounted heavy gambling debt. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilder fights him next and maybe Fury at end of year. Don't think it will be next.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Can't see Wilder taking on Fury first, unless his camp are certain he beats him, which he probably would.

Tarver is under Haymon. Tarver was bailed out by Al after he mounted heavy gambling debt. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilder fights him next and maybe Fury at end of year. Don't think it will be next.

I think that's a spot on shout. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tarver up next.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

Slow, chinny, limited power and easy to hit plodder vs brutal punching, faster, champion with faster hands and a very good jab. It will be a painfully onsided fight, but the pre fight shenanigans will be entertaining.

Last edited by hogey on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:43 pm

hogey wrote:Slow, chinny, limited power and easy to hit plodder vs brutal punching, faster, champion with faster hands and a very good jab. It will be a painfully onsided fight, but the pre figet shenanigans will be entertaining.

You make Wilder sound like Ali !!.........Hogey.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:Slow, chinny, limited power and easy to hit plodder vs brutal punching, faster, champion with faster hands and a very good jab. It will be a painfully onsided fight, but the pre figet shenanigans will be entertaining.

You make Wilder sound like Ali !!.........Hogey.

In the ring with Fury he will look like Ali mate. Very Happy

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

hogey wrote:Slow, chinny, limited power and easy to hit plodder vs brutal punching, faster, champion with faster hands and a very good jab. It will be a painfully onsided fight, but the pre fight shenanigans will be entertaining.

Can't see it. Wilder is terrible technically. Crosses his legs, squares up, doesn't turn his punches over properly, over-reaches.

While Fury is no Joe Louis himself, he's decent enough to make this a fight. And he gets knocked down, he gets up fighting.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm

... That's the question really. If/when he gets put over, by a guy who punches way harder than guys who have knocked him over previously, Can he get up? From what I've seen of fury's recent boxing improvement, it's entirely plausible to me that he can win, if he's not bombed out early or spends the evening yo-yoing

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

Getting up when feather fisted fighters Cunningham or Pajkic knock you down is a long way from getting dropped by a big puncher like Wilder. You are right Fury is no Joe Louis, in fact he barely has the chin of Jo Brand.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

hogey wrote:Getting up when feather fisted fighters Cunningham or Pajkic knock you down is a long way from getting dropped by a big puncher like Wilder. You are right Fury is no Joe Louis, in fact he barely has the chin of Jo Brand.

I don't know Hogey..........Getting knocked down and wobbled off feather fisted fighters.......Sounds like Louis to me !! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hogey wrote:Getting up when feather fisted fighters Cunningham or Pajkic knock you down is a long way from getting dropped by a big puncher like Wilder. You are right Fury is no Joe Louis, in fact he barely has the chin of Jo Brand.

I don't know Hogey..........Getting knocked down and wobbled off feather fisted fighters.......Sounds like Louis to me !! Wink

Saying nothing about that fishing expedition of yours fella Laugh

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next