The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ???

+6
kingraf
Adam D
ONETWOFOREVER
AdamT
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ??? Empty Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 2:09 pm

I think the day of the small aesthetic Heavy with skill has gone forever..........Have no doubt in ten years the Cruiser limit will be 210......and anyone weighing 220 will be considered a very small heavy.......

Which is a sobering thought considering Holmes, Bowe, Tyson, Page, Tubbs, Witherspoon, Biggs, Douglas weighed between 215-230 when in decent condition..............I mention these names because they were all well trained fighters who had good skill thresholds.....and all were considered big Heavies.....

In fact If you look at Joshua and then watch these fighters you'll see they were technically much more gifted and twice as quick.....

Joshua is no more talented than Bruno who in fairness had a better jab............Which makes it a sobering thought that many including me see him as the Saviour of the division.....

I think Foreman gave encouragement to the big useless slob and we have been paying the price ever since......

Heavyweights are getting bigger and bigger......The gifted Haye is a novelty and I just don't see any hope at all..............

Think the Heavyweight division is lost forever...Hope not !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ??? Empty Re: Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ???

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

The heavyweight division goes through cycles of being condemned. Not sure the situation now is any more dire than it was in the post Tunney, pre Louis days when the likes of Baer, Carnera and Schmeling were playing pass the parcel with the belt. Think the main issue now is along the lines you have outlined. Size seems to have been promoted above all other qualities in the division, for reasons beyond my comprehension.

I have no issues with a guy like Wlad tipping the scales at 18 stone plus as he is 6ft 5 and is clearly one hell of a physical specimen, however for some reason guys who obviously do not need to be anywhere near this weight like Solis and Chisora come in similarly heavy. It baffles me as size is one asset, as Tyson and Dempsey have adequately proven in the past what you lack in size can adequately be compensated for in other departments such as speed and movement.

The problems this leads to is we don’t see any variety in the division now, most defences are Wlad grappling and slapping around some overweight smaller guy without the wherewithal to make him change anything up. These things are cyclical though Truss, the heavyweight division generates too much money to spend forever in the doldrums. He might not have left high school yet, but someone will come along and reinvigorate the division. They always do.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ??? Empty Re: Is the Heavyweight division lost forever ???

Post by AdamT Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

Heavyweights are bigger but if you had a 16 stone heavy at around 6 foot 2 with the skills,chin and movement then I could see him blasting out the slower bigger guys. Unfortunately only really Haye fits the bill and he is hardly very active. A young Tyson or Holyfield would still be champions if they were around today, no problem.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

All it needs is a name everyone knows.

Then heavies will start pulling their finger out and light heavy and cruisers will jump up to get a piece of the action. All it needs is a very good champion. Imagine if GGG was a heavy and could speak English destroying fighters like he is doing at the moment, the money he would generate from his fights would be huge.

Then you will find challengers willing to go that much further to become the man who beat THEE man and the money would trickle its way down to the lower weights who would benefit from appearing on the fight cards. All it takes is a name to put boxing front and centre again.

Shame on Wlad tho as he is clearly the best heavy around but doing nothing for boxing as the marquee champion.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:34 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:All it needs is a name everyone knows.

Then heavies will start pulling their finger out and light heavy and cruisers will jump up to get a piece of the action. All it needs is a very good champion. Imagine if GGG was a heavy and could speak English destroying fighters like he is doing at the moment, the money he would generate from his fights would be huge.

Then you will find challengers willing to go that much further to become the man who beat THEE man and the money would trickle its way down to the lower weights who would benefit from appearing on the fight cards. All it takes is a name to put boxing front and centre again.

Shame on Wlad tho as he is clearly the best heavy around but doing nothing for boxing as the marquee champion.
Adolf Hitler? It's....hardly likely to get people flocking to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:All it needs is a name everyone knows.

Adolf Hitler? It's....hardly likely to get people flocking to watch.

I'd watch it Laugh OK

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm

Be a reich in the stadium If he lost..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

That's a poor effort TRUSS and I will not Panzer to you any longer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

Rowley wrote:The heavyweight division goes through cycles of being condemned. Not sure the situation now is any more dire than it was in the post Tunney, pre Louis days when the likes of Baer, Carnera and Schmeling were playing pass the parcel with the belt. Think the main issue now is along the lines you have outlined. Size seems to have been promoted above all other qualities in the division, for reasons beyond my comprehension.

I have no issues with a guy like Wlad tipping the scales at 18 stone plus as he is 6ft 5 and is clearly one hell of a physical specimen, however for some reason guys who obviously do not need to be anywhere near this weight like Solis and Chisora come in similarly heavy. It baffles me as size is one asset, as Tyson and Dempsey have adequately proven in the past what you lack in size can adequately be compensated for in other departments such as speed and movement.

The problems this leads to is we don’t see any variety in the division now, most defences are Wlad grappling and slapping around some overweight smaller guy without the wherewithal to make him change anything up. These things are cyclical though Truss, the heavyweight division generates too much money to spend forever in the doldrums. He might not have left high school yet, but someone will come along and reinvigorate the division. They always do.

Agree with most of that............Yep it's been swings and roundabouts before as you suggest.............But it's pretty much set in it's ways now and we are in the era of the super heavyweight........and history has shown how plodding 240+ pounders are and always will be...........Look at Carnera.....

Joshua would be considered plodding by 70/80's standards..........and he's the future..

Hope you're right and I'm wrong Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

DAVE667 wrote:That's a poor effort TRUSS and I will not Panzer to you any longer

Leave it Kr-out...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

Give us a kiss TRUSSY...no ACHTUNG's tho!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Give us a kiss TRUSSY...no ACHTUNG's tho!!!!!!!!

Be careful there could be "Penalties" for that !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 4:57 pm

I'll be Jerry careful

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'll be Jerry careful

Heil second that!

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:09 pm

Are you guys still talking about the Rommel in the Jungle or have you moved on yet?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm

We need a decent HW to Klein up the division

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

Fritz getting worse on here !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

Yip we just need someone to run through the fatties. A proper blitzkrieg.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 03 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

I left my bag in my swastiCAR!

Heil get me coat!

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:38 pm

You lot SStop it now, its.becoming undesirable.

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:45 pm

Not often I geno-side with truss but he's got this one right.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

Jbw, You're always sucking up to truss, you're such a Bormann

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

Although the standard is in general very poor I do think if the right fights get made the division could still be fun over the next few years. Just as long as we don't get hung up on the quality of skills and just enjoy a few tear ups.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:51 pm

spencerclarke wrote: Just as long as we don't get hung up on the quality of skills and just enjoy a few tear ups.

Tend to agree, suspect over the next few years you will have to treat the heavyweight division in much the same way you do a Jason Statham film, you know its rubbish but have just got to try not to think about it too much.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:54 pm

Much easier as Statham normally has a flaming eastern European who can't speak English along for the ride. Stiverne has Din King.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down