The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barbarians v Australia, 1 November

+21
bedfordwelsh
Geordie
BamBam
Poorfour
Welly
GLove39
wales606
Notch
LeinsterFan4life
Pal Joey
jimmyinthewell68
Taylorman
offload
TobyBryant
Cyril
yappysnap
PenfroPete
The Saint
maestegmafia
Biltong
George Carlin
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Empty Barbarians v Australia, 1 November

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Barbar11         Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Wallab11
Barbarians v Australia

For the Killick Cup
Twickenham Stadium
1 November 2014
KO: 14:30

Live on Sky Sports 2 HD

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: JP Doyle (England), Gregory Garner (England)
Television match official: Rowan Kitt (England)
Timekeeper: Roy Marfleet (England)
Assessor: Stephen Leyshon (England)

1. Barbarians
Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Cummin11
Coach: John Kirwan

15 Tim Nanai Williams (Chiefs)
14 Frank Halai (Blues/NZ)
13 Juan de Jongh (Stormers/RSA)
12 Francis Saili (Blues/NZ)
11 Nick Cummins (West Red Sparks/Aus)
10 Colin Slade (Crusaders/NZ)
9 Tomas Cubelli (Belgrano/Arg)

1 Matt Stevens (Sharks/Eng)
2 James Parsons (Blues)
3 Angus Ta’avao (Blues)
4 Dominic Bird (Canterbury/NZ)
5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow/Sco) (c)
6 Adam Thomson (Eagles/NZ)
7 Matt Todd (Crusaders/NZ)
8 Steven Luatua (Blues/NZ)

16 Mahonri Schwalger (Chiefs/Samoa)
17 Thomas Du Toit (Sharks)
18 Lourens Adriaanse (Sharks)
19 Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs/RSA)
20 Matias Alemanno (La Tablada/Arg)
21 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs)
22 Joaquin Tuculet (Grenoble/Arg)
23 Marnitz Boshoff (Golden Lions/RSA)

2. Australia
Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Elle-m10
Coach: Michael Cheika

1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
2. Saia Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)
3. Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies)
4. Sam Carter (ACT Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
6. Scott Higginbotham (Melbourne Rebels)
7. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)

9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
11. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Matt Toomua (ACT Brumbies)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies)
14. Henry Speight (ACT Brumbies)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves*
James Hanson (Queensland Reds)
James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
Will Skelton (NSW Waratahs)
Sean McMahon (Melbourne Rebels)
Nic White (ACT Brumbies)
Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs)
Christian Leali'ifano (ACT Brumbies)
Joe Tomane (ACT Brumbies)

*One to be omitted

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 7:24 pm; edited 12 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbarians v Australia, 1 November

Post by wales606 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

TobyBryant wrote:Oh that last Bb try pips the "try from the end of the world". Fantastic.

Not quite that good....
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Barbarians v Australia, 1 November - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbarians v Australia, 1 November

Post by wales606 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

Real quality at holding onto ball considering they have only been together a week
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

Come on the baa baas!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

Ooooooh, so close,

They almost did it,

What a finish
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

Great stuff to watch

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

What a game to watch.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

If the baabaas play like that every time I can't see it dying.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

Why would the baabass ever go? Whats the point in not having the baabass?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:24 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Why would the baabass ever go? Whats the point in not having the baabass?
 Well that what I feel.

But people were complaining about the recent performances and the need of it.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Why would the baabass ever go? Whats the point in not having the baabass?

It has been said by some that the likes of the Baa Baas and the Lions have no place in the Pro era which is a shame as for me they both still do. That said I don't think the Baa Baas are the draw they once were, when it was basically a Lions side plus few youngsters and the traditional uncapped player.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:27 pm

Ye Welly I always see people saying that there is no room for the Barbarians in pro rugby.

But seriously what is the point in NOT having them around? Especially if they can still pull 50k in to a stadium.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:28 pm

Great game... Brilliant entertainment. Both sides entered with the right spirit..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

People say that it is an extra game on an already overloaded season,

But if the Baabaas keep playing like that and being competitive and inventive then they will always have a place.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:30 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Ye Welly I always see people saying that there is no room for the Barbarians in pro rugby.

But seriously what is the point in NOT having them around? Especially if they can still pull 50k in to a stadium.

The barbarians exemplify rugby union, they are the games greatest club and the soul of what our sport is really about.

You would be absolutely mad to even consider them worthless.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:33 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:Ye Welly I always see people saying that there is no room for the Barbarians in pro rugby.

The barbarians exemplify rugby union, they are the games greatest club and the soul of what our sport is really about.

+1,000. How many international quality games can you see where a number of nations have skin in the game? It's a game played for the love of it. What's not to like? What the smeg do people want for nothing?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

George Carlin wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

+1,000. How many international quality games can you see where a number of nations have skin in the game? It's a game played for the love of it. What's not to like? What the smeg do people want for nothing?

Or club games...!

The game used to be very much about self expression, the professional era has diminished that some what. But anyone who values cynical professionalism over great rugby does not understand anything about rugby union in my opinion.

Today was a great example of the real values of sport, fun, adventure, team work, expression of skill and most importantly spreading the joy of a great game to make new friends from all back grounds.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

Honey badger Laugh absolute legend

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:41 pm

BamBam wrote:Honey badger Laugh absolute legend

Bloody oath mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sat 01 Nov 2014, 4:51 pm

wales606 wrote:
TobyBryant wrote:Oh that last Bb try pips the "try from the end of the world". Fantastic.

Not quite that good....

It was y'know.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 01 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm

That must be a relief for Michael Cheika, to get that game out of the way and get a Wallaby win, Australias first win outside of Australia for quite some time, I wish him all the best.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 01 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
That must be a relief for Michael Cheika, to get that game out of the way and get a Wallaby win, Australias first win outside of Australia for quite some time, I wish him all the best.
fun wasn't it Laurie. For a scratch team with a few non test capped players I'd be a little concerned if I were Cheika but of the occasion I'm glad JK was coach for this one. He'll always put expression of attack in some form first.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 01 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

And Andy Hayden as manager. He was easy to spot as he still has that habit of falling over side ways for no reason...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 01 Nov 2014, 10:20 pm

Great advert for the game. No rigidity in the play, experimental at times, flowing attacking rugby and plenty of big hits.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sat 01 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:And Andy Hayden as manager. He was easy to spot as he still has that habit of falling over side ways for no reason...

Three words.

Let. it. Go.

Hayden's dive didn't milk a penalty, it was illegal holding down in the line out. Disgusted to hear the English commentators spinning the old myth.

I thought the Baa Baas fell apart when most the kiwi back row went off.

Incredible that NZ fielded effectively three international sides today, and came so close to winning all three.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 01 Nov 2014, 11:54 pm

wales606 wrote:

Not quite that good....

And nowhere near 'that try' from theBaabaas in 1973. NZ were chasing shadows.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

TobyBryant wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:And Andy Hayden as manager. He was easy to spot as he still has that habit of falling over side ways for no reason...

Three words.

Let. it. Go.

Hayden's dive didn't milk a penalty, it was illegal holding down in the line out. Disgusted to hear the English commentators spinning the old myth.

Incredible that NZ fielded effectively three international sides today, and came so close to winning all three.

Post rationalised BS...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Nov 2014, 12:10 am

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4iOOjOWL4

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sun 02 Nov 2014, 12:12 am

Yes, clear penalty. Thanks for posting the evidence.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Nov 2014, 12:46 am

TobyBryant wrote:

Three words.

Let. it. Go.

Funny that ghost, I thought you didn't see much highlights from days gone by. So how do you know so much for a game you can't have seen? I smell a ghostly rat

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sun 02 Nov 2014, 1:35 am

To be fair the link to the highlight is above. And as I've said on the thread you reference, a handful of incidents are well rehashed and known ad nauseum. I was hoping to break through the collection of cliches and get a conversation about something other than various individuals shoulder chips going on - but obviously the blinkers are nailed on.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Nov 2014, 7:47 am

So you don't think two men jumping out of a line out to win a penalty, in the same way a soccer player would dive in the penalty box, is cheating...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 02 Nov 2014, 9:00 am

maestegmafia wrote:So you don't think two men jumping out of a line out to win a penalty, in the same way a soccer player would dive in the penalty box, is cheating...?
I think the first four words of your post covered it quite well.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sun 02 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

maestegmafia wrote:So you don't think two men jumping out of a line out to win a penalty, in the same way a soccer player would dive in the penalty box, is cheating...?

Firstly I'd say yes it is, but also that suggesting all sporting victories are achieved ethically is outrageously naive and finally that your argument is a straw man since s line out dive was not what the penalty was awarded for in the case under scrutiny.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sun 02 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

https://twitter.com/alistairsanzar/status/529036270068969472

Well this is embarrassing.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Sun 02 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/30801044-419/all-blacks-rout-us-rugby-team-at-sold-out-soldier-field.html#.VFa9RabfXCQ

Looks like all that PR was money well spent... The ARU may be saved after all!

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Nov 2014, 11:38 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
I think the first four words of your post covered it quite well.

Very true.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Nov 2014, 7:42 am

TobyBryant wrote:https://twitter.com/alistairsanzar/status/529036270068969472

Well this is embarrassing.
If it had said "Fijian" instead of "Aussie", then I would have understood.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:39 am

Sorry I don't understand?

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:40 am

Yep, a good win for the Australian All Blacks.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TobyBryant Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:47 am

I did hear one of the US commentary team mention that The blacks had rested some of their top talent such as Folau. However we also saw confusion reign during the Baa Baas game when the British commentary team repeatedly called the honey badger in possession for Australia. I guess with so many antipodeans playing in so many test matches in one day a little confusion amongst the less enlightened is expected.

TobyBryant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:57 am

TobyBryant wrote:I did hear one of the US commentary team mention that The blacks had rested some of their top talent such as Folau.  However we also saw confusion reign during the Baa Baas game when the British commentary team repeatedly called the honey badger in possession for Australia.  I guess with so many antipodeans playing in so many test matches in one day a little confusion amongst the less enlightened is expected.

You needn't worry too much, mate. The Yanks have really short attention spans.

I bet you a Steamer that they would have forgotten about that little faux paw already. They have Plenty of other sports to worry about.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:12 am

Nothing beats the Fiji v Scotland match last year where the local commentator earnestly told everyone that Al Kellock played for "the Glasgow Rangers".

At least the US commentators reached for the correct sport.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:17 am

George Carlin wrote:Nothing beats the Fiji v Scotland match last year where the local commentator earnestly told everyone that Al Kellock played for "the Glasgow Rangers".

I didn't realise he had left the Glasgow Giants, George.

I thought the Edinburgh Indians were chasing him?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Nothing beats the Fiji v Scotland match last year where the local commentator earnestly told everyone that Al Kellock played for "the Glasgow Rangers".

I didn't realise he had left the Glasgow Giants, George.

I thought the Edinburgh Indians were chasing him?

Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2