The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

+21
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
IanBru
Argybargy
cakeordeath
lostinwales
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
des
TJ
Nematode
niwatts
VinceWLB
Hound of Harrow
JonnyEdinburgh
PenfroPete
whocares
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Tue 14 Oct 2014, 11:07 am

First topic message reminder :

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Ubb-ho10                             European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Edinbu14
Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh Rugby

Friday 17th October
19:00 BST
Stade André Moga
Bègles

Referee: Neil Hennessy (Wales)
Assistant referees: Chris Williams (Wales), Martyn Lewis (Wales)
Timekeeper: Gilles Cogne (France)
Assessor: Eric Darriere (France)

Last 5 Results

Bordeaux-Begles

BB 59 - Castres 7  Shocked
BB 51 - Clermont 21  Shocked
Brive 34 - BB 21
La Rochelle 26 - BB 29
BB 27 - Montpellier 21

Edinburgh Rugby

Edinburgh 24 - Dragons 10
Ulster 30 - Edinburgh 0 Erm
Edinburgh 20 - Scarlets 20 Rolling Eyes
Ospreys 62 - Edinburgh 13 picard
Edinburgh 13 - Connacht 14 thumbsdown

Teams

Bordeaux-Begles European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Ubb-ho10
[TBC]

Edinburgh Rugby European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Edinbu14
15 Greig Tonks
14 Dougie Fife
13 Sam Beard
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Phil Burleigh
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford
3 Willem Nel
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Tomas Leonardi
7 Hamish Watson
8 Mike Coman (c)

16 James Hilterbrand
17 Allan Dell
18 John Andress
19 Ollie Atkins
20 Roddy Grant
21 Sean Kennedy
22 Tom Heathcote
23 Nick McLennan

Blurb

Well I have to confess I know very little about Bordeaux-Begles (BB), but their last 5 results are truly frightening.  They are obviously the surprise package of the Top 14 this year and have put some cricket scores past vaunted opposition. However, I wonder how much interest they will have in ths competition, especially given their good form in the Top 14 just now.

Edinburgh on the other hand have varied from woeful to just about acceptable, with the former happening more often than not.  A confidence boosting win over the Dragons will have helped, and I can't help but think Edinburgh need this more then BB. Edinburgh have some real injury problems in the backrow just now, and will be interesting to see whether Solomons picks some youngsters.  I won't be holding my breath on that one.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty Re: European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

Burleigh came off the bench during the most recent Super Rugby semi final for the highlanders.

For some reason he decided to come to us.

Very much a 12, which means we've been playing him at 10 and 13...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty Re: European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

Post by Nematode Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

My concern is who will take the kicks.

Surely it is obvious to play Heathcote at 10, Burleigh 12.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:31 pm

I would imagine Tonks will be kicking

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Burleigh came off the bench during the most recent Super Rugby semi final for the highlanders.

Imagine the leadership vacuum though if we dropped Strauss. The team would be rudderless.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:39 pm

Nematode wrote:My concern is who will take the kicks.

Surely it is obvious to play Heathcote at 10, Burleigh 12.

I don't we'll have any, but I would guess that Tonks will have the responsibility.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Burleigh came off the bench during the most recent Super Rugby semi final for the highlanders.

Imagine the leadership vacuum though if we dropped Strauss. The team would be rudderless.

Interestingly I like to refer to Stauss as a talent vacuum.

We do still have Coman, and we all know he is Mr Leadership...unless that involves talking to the ref to find out why we are being pinged for the hundredth time.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 3:53 pm

Anyone going to the match?

If so, can you please steal Coman and Strauss's passport and return tickets so that they have to stay in France!!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:28 am

Solomons getting excuses in early

ALAN Solomons must feel that he needed tonight’s match like he a hole in the head. He has had to drag his injury ravaged squad on a marathon nine-and-a-half hour odyssey to the south-west of France to try their luck against the best performing team in the Top 14 at the moment.

Ostensibly, Edinburgh are looking to get their Challenge Cup campaign off to a flying start against Bordeaux-Begles, but the reality is that Europe’s second-tier competition lacks the prestige to be anything more than a curious sideshow to the far more pressing task of becoming a credible force in the Guinness Pro 12.

Solomons would never publicly acknowledge that this is an exercise in damage limitation, but, in truth, he will be quietly delighted if his team emerge from this trip with no new significant injuries and their fragile self-esteem still intact.

“If you look at their recent results and watch their games, they smashed Clermont and they smashed Castres, who were in the Finals last year – so, at the moment, they are riding high as one of the top teams in France in terms of form,” he said.

“If we were going to Paris, then it’s quite easy because it’s a main route, but it’s not a main route.

“So, unfortunately, we have to leave here at five in the morning [on Thursday], to get in at about half-past two, and try to get our practice straight away, which will help a little bit.

“But what can you do? If we took a later flight we could end up arriving there very late at night, which would make it very difficult. We’d probably not be able to have a captain’s run. We’ve just got to take it as another challenge for us to face.”

“We’ve got the challenge of playing one of the top teams in France, playing them away from home, and having a difficult travel schedule,” added Solomons. “But we’ve got to look at it in a positive way, as an exciting challenge for us.” Injuries mean that Solomons does not even have the luxury of being able to work a full rotation policy to give a number of his fringe players some valuable game time whilst, simultaneously, allowing a few of his key men a breather off so that they can be fresh for the resumption of league action in two weeks’ time.

He has only been able to bring in four new faces to the team which picked up only their second Pro12 victory of the season against the Dragons last weekend, and one of those changes is enforced. Cornell du Preez picked up a nasty ankle injury in that match, which looks certain to keep him side-lined for several months at least. He is replaced by Tomas Leonardi, who will start at blindside flanker, while captain Mike Coman switches to No 8.

Willem Nel replaces John Andress at tight-head prop, Sam Hidalgo Clyne takes over from Sean Kennedy at scrum-half, and Phil Burleigh gets another chance to show what he can do at stand-off in place of Tom Heathcote.

“In certain things, we are limited. We only have two hookers available to us at the moment. Stuart McInally is not ready yet, Neil Cochrane is not ready yet, George Turner is not ready either, and I wouldn’t play [18-year-old] Jake Kerr because, as good a player as I think he is going to be, he is not ready yet,” explained the coach.

‘We only have four loose forwards – Hamish [Watson], Tomas [Leonardi], Mike [Coman] and Roddy [Grant] – so there is no choice there, either.’

At least Solomons can take some comfort in the knowledge that the opposition have made 12 changes to the team which despatched Castres 59-7 last weekend, although he insists that it would be foolhardy to underestimate the Frenchmen regardless of what combination of players they send on to the park.

“No French side playing at home is going to not take it seriously. This is a massive French club and they have massive strength in depth. They are a big, big side, with a lot of pace outside,” he insisted.

Meanwhile, winger Tim Visser has urged his team to keep to a disciplined game-plan against a side he believes will want to play it fast and loose. “They’re flying at the moment. They were quite unknown at the start of the season but they’ve really shown what they can do. If you look at any of the highlights packages coming out of France, it’s ridiculous the tries Bordeaux are scoring and shows the expansive kind of rugby they’re playing,” said the 27-year-old.

“You have to be careful with these kind of teams because you can get dragged into playing the way they want to play and that’s not what we want to do. That might create opportunities for me personally and I could score tries out of it, but it’s not something we can get sucked into because it’s something their game is more suited to.

“We want to play systematically and last weekend showed that, when we do that well, we can win games with it. It’s a different kettle of fish playing Bordeaux-Begles away to Dragons at home so it’ll be a real test of our gameplan.”

And not saying they agent valid points n the injuries certainly are a nightmare just now - but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the team if your coach is making up excuses for losing before the game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

Weak excuses.  The more I hear from Solomons the more I don’t rate him.

If travel was such an issue, there was nothing to stop them from heading out a day or so earlier and getting settled, it was their choice to leave at 5am the day before the game.

Results have been poor under him, tactics don’t seem to work, morale looks terrible, and he should be banned from talking to the media as he’s just embarrassing (blaming refs and now travel).  For any football fans, he’s coming across similar to Alan Pardew, nothing is ever his fault, whilst his team get humped week in week out.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:28 am

To be honest I think the comments from Visser are more telling. He seems to tow the party line whilst at the same time saying that the "system" is stiffling his ability to score tries.

I hope Sam H-C has been practicing his box kicks.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Weak excuses.  The more I hear from Solomons the more I don’t rate him.

If travel was such an issue, there was nothing to stop them from heading out a day or so earlier and getting settled, it was their choice to leave at 5am the day before the game.

Results have been poor under him, tactics don’t seem to work, morale looks terrible, and he should be banned from talking to the media as he’s just embarrassing (blaming refs and now travel).  For any football fans, he’s coming across similar to Alan Pardew, nothing is ever his fault, whilst his team get humped week in week out.

The travel excuse is exceedingly poor. There are flights to Bordeaux from Glasgow via Heathrow that take less than 4 hours.

Bordeaux airport into town is about 1/2 hour depending on the time of day. Presumably the team would be heading into the city to a hotel near the ground.

For anyone travelling getting around is best by tram (or walking). Get a tram map and buy a weekend card (a Myki card iirc). If buying individual tram tickets don't forget to punch them into one of the machines on the tram to validate the time of travel. A fine is applicable if you do not.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 17 Oct 2014, 1:44 pm

Pubs, Dog pubs - you must have some info about pubs/bars for them Wink

How are things mo chara ? Hug
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm

Fair enough Pete, just trying to help the lads not lose their drinking vouchers before they start!
thumbsup

Ok lads. Wasps fans found the Connemara pub to be quite acceptable and happy to show the rugby. I recommend chips covered in chilli con carne (if they still do it) as good blotting paper to go with the beer.

The pub is on Cours d'Albret about 200m from Place Gambetta. Catch  a tram from the Quinconces tram interchange next to the big public gardens near the Garonne.

I've not been to the old Begles ground where you'll be playing so you would have to google it for bars etc.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 2:49 pm

And I'm ok mate, thanks. Good luck to Cardiff Sarries Hug

I see they've been 'promoted' two divisions in the much protested about reshuffle of Welsh grass roots rugby!

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 17 Oct 2014, 2:50 pm

If travel's a problem for Edinburgh it will be the same for Bordeaux on the return leg surely...

Re Visser, I expect he knows he's 3rd place for the Scottish wing and is making excuses to cover for his defensive shortcomings.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 17 Oct 2014, 3:08 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:And I'm ok mate, thanks. Good luck to Cardiff Sarries Hug

I see they've been 'promoted' two divisions in the much protested about reshuffle of Welsh grass roots rugby!

Ha ha, promotoed indeed Rolling Eyes we used to have Div's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 (in one area there was a 7).
We now have 1, 2, 3A, 3B, 3C & 3D (although you need special glasses for that !!)
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Oct 2014, 3:17 pm

PenfroPete wrote:3D (although you need special glasses for that !!)

laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 3:41 pm

Good one Pete. clap

Hiya Rev Smile

Sorry for interrupting the thread folks.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 4:01 pm

Don't worry about the interruption. Its a welcome distraction from the imminent slaughter.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 17 Oct 2014, 4:04 pm

its also more fun that looking at spread sheets!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 17 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm

I'm doing a self apprasial form. steam
Beat that.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 4:21 pm

I'm off sick....beat that! vomit

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Oct 2014, 4:43 pm

Alright Hound?

I can never understand teams moaning about travel, when they're pretty much in control of it. Dragons have at least flown the day before to Paris, but are getting an early(ish) one back. They haven't moaned yet, but an ex local journo did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 6:15 pm

The Stade Andre Moga is due south of the main railway station, Gare Saint Jean, and not far. Plenty of trams go to the station.

If going, it is not advisable to hang around the area to the north of the station. Very sleazy with dodgy looking nightlife, though it might appeal to the Weedge fans Wink

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:14 pm

First minute, Coman leaves the field with a leg injury... picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:47 pm

Not much happening it seems . Each team wasted a try opportunity and UBB leads 3-0 and its almost half time.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:49 pm

Sounds like Edinburgh are having scrum troubles - story of the season

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm off sick....beat that! vomit
Well I'd eaten some out of date ham that had been left overnight in my panier. I'd also forgotten to turn the thermostat down before going to bed last night so it was extra risky. At the time of your post I was in the pub attempting to mask the psychosomatic symptoms of eating said ham. Those symptoms are gone now and all is good.

Aside from captain Comon being injured.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:03 pm

Aye Rev - if the teams complain about travel to France or Italy, then spare a thought for the fans. They are not met by a luxury coach at the airport.

Oh no, for us it's hunt down the airport bus or train into town - not forgetting to validate your frikkin ticket before boarding your transport. Alternatively take a bloody expensive taxi.

They should try being a fan trying to get to Viadana. Parma is the nearest airport, but it's a popular destination and flights are often full before fixture dates and times are announced. We couldn't get a flight.

So Bologna airport it was then, about 120k away. There is no train station in Viadana, and no bus service from the nearest station. A hire car it was then.

Needless to say we got lost as soon as we exited the Autostrada for Viadana. We missed the correct turning as the exit was obscured by a ruddy great lorry in front. Oh well, we'll take the next exit. Wrong!! This swept us under the autostrada and many kms in the opposite direction.

Stopping in the next place we reasonably could we took our bearings. Eventually we were back on course albeit on a minor road through the ploughed fields of an autumnal Lombardy.

All we had to do was cross the River Po and follow the satnav.

First objective reached...the river crossing. Then follow the windy road on the embankment next to said river to reach Viadana. All ok, except the road was blocked by red and white concrete blocks for some reason.
Headscratch

We were all getting a bit hacked off at this point and each of us got out of the car and directed a lengthy stream of p!ss towards the river. Back in the car and back the way we came (some distance along the riverside road) and start again.

We had only gone about 300m when a sign pointed to Roncadello, the small village where our hotel was. It looked like the signpost should have been on the other side of the turning,  rather than on the 'road to nowhere' side.

Manoevering the car through a nine point turn on the narrow road, we were finally within a few minutes of our hotel.

As ever the bonhomie of the travelling rugby fan came through with a rousing chorus of....

music music music  "Show me the way to Roncadello, we'll be drinking limon cellos!!" musicmusicmusic

We had made it on our odyssey to support our team, and it felt good.

thumbsup

The next day we had a three mile hike, much of it along a main road with no pavements, to reach the Stadio Luigi Zaffanella. Once there we proceeded to pour €€€s across the clubhouse bar, and were soon very, very happy. This carried on through the game and well into the evening.

Finally we departed the ground for the town centre via a homely little bar about halfway.

Once back in town, and continuing to imbibe beer, we eventually decide it would be a good idea to head back to our hotel, which was now nearer 4km away. Taxi time again, except the bar owners did not speak english, and our italian was sparse. No one else could speak english either until eventually a couple sat in a corner heard our pleas and were able to communicate to the owners that we required a taxi to Roncadello. Problem...there was only one taxi that covered about a 150 square miles around Viadana. But we were not going to attempt walking along that main road in the pitch dark to get back.

The man with the taxi was eventually contacted and agreed to come and take us back to Roncadello. Once again we were very happy.

The night before we were given a lift back from the restaurant, where we had a lovely evening meal, by one of the waiters. He did not want to take a cent, but we left him €20. Earlier that evening the hotel owner had driven us into town. His father used to play 2nd row for Viadana, and he was happy to help fellow rugby fans.

And the Italians are like that; they are so pleased to see you. Possibly because they know that the takings at the club on the day of the match will exceed the takings for their entire  domestic season. But Wasps fans will graciously accept their marvellous hospitality in return for us travelling fans boosting the finances of their traditional, down to earth rugby club. That's kinda the way it works.

L'esprit de rugby!

Smile Smile Smile

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:11 pm

Visser scores, 3 -5

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Argybargy Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:13 pm

Is this on the box anywhere? Watching a french link of Quins / Castres and its a bit mince.
Merci.

Argybargy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:16 pm

Unfortunately not.

10-5 - normal service resumed

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Argybargy Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:19 pm

thanks Rdw. Perhaps for the best picard

Argybargy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:37 pm

Hurley yellow carded

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:38 pm

Nils desperandum 'burgh fans.

Smile

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

Poopie, 13-13. Could Edinburgh actually win a game!!!

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:46 pm

Penalty scrum try nonetheless! 15-13

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:46 pm

Come on Edinburgh!!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:46 pm

cakeordeath wrote:Poopie, 13-13. Could Edinburgh actually win a game!!!

I hate this swear filter, it was a S h i t....as in I am surprised

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

Sounds as if the Edinburgh scrum is working tonight

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:48 pm

4 mins...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

Flash score or twitter? Which one for the last five minutes?

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

WE WON!!!!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:52 pm

Well done Edinburgh

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:53 pm

15-13 Edinburgh FT

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:53 pm

Twitter. I thought flash scores was instant.

Anyway, c'mon Boro'

des

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:55 pm

Well done Embra. Something must have gone wrong for ubb to get 2 yellow cards and a penalty try within 5 minutes. Some of those young backrowers dont seem to cut the mustard.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:58 pm

Well done MFL, you're on an unbeaten run. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:00 pm

whocares wrote:Well done Embra. Something must have gone wrong for ubb to get 2 yellow cards and a penalty try within 5 minutes. Some of those young backrowers dont seem to cut the mustard.
Care to elaborate? I'm just going on twitter for info and there's no mention of the yellows.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:01 pm

Sounds like a great defensive display and the pack seems to have done pretty well.

Will there even be highlight for this?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next