The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

+21
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
IanBru
Argybargy
cakeordeath
lostinwales
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
des
TJ
Nematode
niwatts
VinceWLB
Hound of Harrow
JonnyEdinburgh
PenfroPete
whocares
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Empty European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Tue 14 Oct 2014, 11:07 am

First topic message reminder :

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Ubb-ho10                             European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Edinbu14
Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh Rugby

Friday 17th October
19:00 BST
Stade André Moga
Bègles

Referee: Neil Hennessy (Wales)
Assistant referees: Chris Williams (Wales), Martyn Lewis (Wales)
Timekeeper: Gilles Cogne (France)
Assessor: Eric Darriere (France)

Last 5 Results

Bordeaux-Begles

BB 59 - Castres 7  Shocked
BB 51 - Clermont 21  Shocked
Brive 34 - BB 21
La Rochelle 26 - BB 29
BB 27 - Montpellier 21

Edinburgh Rugby

Edinburgh 24 - Dragons 10
Ulster 30 - Edinburgh 0 Erm
Edinburgh 20 - Scarlets 20 Rolling Eyes
Ospreys 62 - Edinburgh 13 picard
Edinburgh 13 - Connacht 14 thumbsdown

Teams

Bordeaux-Begles European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Ubb-ho10
[TBC]

Edinburgh Rugby European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Edinbu14
15 Greig Tonks
14 Dougie Fife
13 Sam Beard
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Phil Burleigh
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford
3 Willem Nel
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Tomas Leonardi
7 Hamish Watson
8 Mike Coman (c)

16 James Hilterbrand
17 Allan Dell
18 John Andress
19 Ollie Atkins
20 Roddy Grant
21 Sean Kennedy
22 Tom Heathcote
23 Nick McLennan

Blurb

Well I have to confess I know very little about Bordeaux-Begles (BB), but their last 5 results are truly frightening.  They are obviously the surprise package of the Top 14 this year and have put some cricket scores past vaunted opposition. However, I wonder how much interest they will have in ths competition, especially given their good form in the Top 14 just now.

Edinburgh on the other hand have varied from woeful to just about acceptable, with the former happening more often than not.  A confidence boosting win over the Dragons will have helped, and I can't help but think Edinburgh need this more then BB. Edinburgh have some real injury problems in the backrow just now, and will be interesting to see whether Solomons picks some youngsters.  I won't be holding my breath on that one.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

jimbopip wrote:Well done MFL, you're on an unbeaten run. Shocked
A trip can consist of 2 steps. Maybe leave it at that for now. Although stumble sounds marginally less negative.

des

Back to top Go down

European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: European Challenge Cup - Bordeaux-Begles V Edinburgh

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

Yahoo

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:09 pm

That is a really good result.

Come on you Edinburgh fans and stop carping now and get right behind your team. They may not become world beaters this year, but there is a half decent team in there somewhwere. I don't imagine any other teams are going to win in Munster and Bordeaux this year.

Time to stop moaning about Solomans and the players and let them have a proper chance to see what they can do. judgements to be reserved for much later in the season!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:13 pm

I'm staggered. Delighted with that result.

Who'd have thunk it?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:16 pm

This really needs to be a launch pad for the rest of the season - not a flash in the plan

I'm just worried we're going to run out of players!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:17 pm

des wrote:
whocares wrote:Well done Embra. Something must have gone wrong for ubb to get 2 yellow cards and a penalty try within 5 minutes. Some of those young backrowers dont seem to cut the mustard.
Care to elaborate? I'm just going on twitter for info and there's no mention of the yellows.

Havent got much better info but that site mentionned them :
http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/european-challenge-cup/2014-2015/union-bordeaux-begles-edinburgh-rugby_mtc734814/live.shtml
I doubt we will see highlights unless someone in the crowd took a video...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:19 pm

I'll take that. Still not happy with our gameplan let's see what happens next week

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Argybargy Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

Edinburgh going well away from home season. If ever there was a reason to get out of Murrayfield...

I think the fans back the team but the Solomons never takes responsibility for poor performances. Interesting to see his public reaction to a win....

Sorry if this is a bit negative and hope the team can show this was no flash in the pan...

Argybargy

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:29 pm

BigGee wrote:That is a really good result.

Come on you Edinburgh fans and stop carping now and get right behind your team. They may not become world beaters this year, but there is a half decent team in there somewhwere. I don't imagine any other teams are going to win in Munster and Bordeaux this year.

Time to stop moaning about Solomans and the players and let them have a proper chance to see what they can do. judgements to be reserved for much later in the season!

Last year we had an aggregate win over Leinster, good wins over Munster and the Ospreys but only squeezed past Zebre and BT at home. We ran Glasgow close in both games and arguably should have won the first if we'd carried on going for rolling mauls rather than follow a preset list of moves. Ulster were also lucky to leave murrayfield with a win.

We've always been capable of big results. Its the inconsistency that's the problem.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:39 pm

Yessssss!!!!!! Did not see that coming at all. Maybe this is the beginning of another European odyssey for us!!!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:40 pm

GLove39 wrote:Yessssss!!!!!! Did not see that coming at all. Maybe this is the beginning of another European odyssey for us!!!

Given that we won, I'm assuming you were at the game?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

Well done Edinburgh, great result.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

Great result and a massive well done to the players involved. He may have a penchant for a missed tackle but you can't stop Visser from scoring.

Sets us up nicely in this tournament.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 9:47 pm

whocares wrote:
Havent got much better info but that site mentionned them :
http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/european-challenge-cup/2014-2015/union-bordeaux-begles-edinburgh-rugby_mtc734814/live.shtml
I doubt we will see highlights unless someone in the crowd took a video...
Thanks for that.
I'm going to start calling conversions translations from now on. Sounds much better and it'll really annoy my dad.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Great result and a massive well done to the players involved. He may have a penchant for a missed tackle but you can't stop Visser from scoring.

Sets us up nicely in this tournament.

It really does.

I can't imagine Bordeaux giving it any more attention after losing their first home game, especially given their T14 form.

London Welsh have much bigger issues to deal with at the moment too but I wouldn't put it past them to spring a surprise at some point during the group stages. They could target the next two games purely for confidence and development. Its a 2 horse race for survival in the AP and they probably won't need many wins to pull it off.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:18 pm

Great story Hound.

Whocares, did Bordeaux go full strength for this? It's a fantastic result for Edinburgh regardless, but I'm just curious.

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Yessssss!!!!!! Did not see that coming at all. Maybe this is the beginning of another European odyssey for us!!!

Given that we won, I'm assuming you were at the game?

Haha, if only! At home poleaxed with flu tonight, but supposedly meant to be hopping on an early morning flight to Ascot tomorrow vomit

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:39 pm

LW have said they see this comp, and the LV= Cup as a way of instilling confidence in their squad. How they're intend to do that wasn't exactly clear.

They need to pick up some wins somewhere to get into their stride, that's for sure! Bringing in 25 players in the close season was not a smart move by Burnell though. They are struggling to put any kind of organised defensive strategy in place. Plus, many of those players are not Premiership quality.

We'll see how they go, but all bar one team have taken 5 points off them in the AP so far.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Great story Hound.

Whocares, did Bordeaux go full strength for this? It's a fantastic result for Edinburgh regardless, but I'm just curious.

The front and back rows were a bit experimental in the sense that some of those guys didnt have much game time so far but most players (bar the 3 U21) were seasoned pros. Still a decent team so a good win for Embra

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:01 pm

Edinburgh were apparently pretty good in the set piece, lineout included (believe it or not) where Gilchrist was very prominent, mauls functioned well too, they played a very conservative gameplan and they did everything to not give UBB rhythm whatsoever even if that meant bringing the medics team at every stoppage.

Well it would seem Edinburgh game is more suited to the top 14 than the pro 12!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:09 pm

Tks for the insight VinceWLB. am disapointed UBB didnt put better forwards at least at home. Most people here say this cup is no good but what's the point in qualifying for the champions cup if you cannot prove your value against decent teams in the challenge cup. Read a comment from one guy who was at the game that the ref was very annoying to both teams resetting scrums and line outs , picking any small mistake and slowing down the game as a result etc might explain why there werent many tries.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:23 pm

Plus it being played at night where it's more difficult to suffocate the defense probably helped Embra a bit. I noted when UBB played in the middle of the afternoon they put 100 points past Clermont and Castres!

Anyway great win and they showed some good mental strength coming back from a 13-5 deficit and a man down.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

Cheers Whocares.

Hound, I believe an ex RAF second row is playing for Welsh and he has not had much game time (if any in the Premiership). I don't think they can be at full strength.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:48 am

Risca Rev wrote:Cheers Who cares.
Hound, I believe an ex RAF second row is playing for Welsh and he has not had much game time (if any in the Premiership). I don't think they can be at full strength.

That'll be Josh McNally. I saw him play for Henley a couple of seasons back in the Nat 2 South league decider against Worthing.

That's tier 4 of the English game, and Welsh have had to recruit some of their squad from tiers 3 and 4, plus a fair few from the Championship. Consequently they are short of quality depth in a number of positions.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by des Sat 18 Oct 2014, 9:26 am

So did we play most of the game with 2 7s? Grant was excellent for us last season and I'm happy to have him and Watson on the pitch at the same time.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Oct 2014, 9:33 am

Coman went off after a few minutes, so yeah.

Sounds Like two 7s are good to have in a negative, backs to the wall performance!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Oct 2014, 9:45 am

Hound of Harrow wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Cheers Who cares.

That'll be Josh McNally. I saw him play for Henley a couple of seasons back in the Nat 2 South league decider against Worthing.

That's tier 4 of the English game, and Welsh have had to recruit some of their squad from tiers 3 and 4, plus a fair few from the Championship. Consequently they are short of quality depth in a number of positions.

That's the one. I didn't know how to spell his surname for definite. Played alongside him for Brize a few times.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

Good match report in the Scotsman this morning. Sounds like Watson had another storming game.

I only just noticed Kennedy started even though Sam H-C was meant to - wonder what that was about.

GUTSY Edinburgh last night shrugged off their patchy Pro12 form to snatch one of their greatest wins on the European stage.

Alan Solomons’ injury-ravaged side had gone into battle as clear-cut underdogs against the born-again Bordeaux brigade at Stade Andre-Moga.

However, the hosts – who had rattled up 50 points in each of their last two Top 14 matches – were left stunned by a late penalty try in the Challenge Cup opener.

There had been a home-from-home feeling in the Edinburgh ranks as the Bordeaux Pipe Band provided the musical accompaniment to their pre kick-off warm-up session.

And the visitors made an encouraging start, with scrum-half Sean Kennedy and flanker Hamish Watson looking lively in attack.

There was a scare, however, when skipper Mike Coman was forced off to have treatment for a leg problem.

He was replaced in the back-row by experienced campaigner Roddy Grant, as the hosts began to show their brawn.

Their first rolling maul put Edinburgh on the back foot in their own danger zone, which sparked the partisan fans into action.

And they were quick to vent their anger as referee Neil Hennessy waved play on after a Bordeaux player came flying out of the melee.

Having survived the raid, Watson returned to the limelight with a powerful charge, knocking three markers out of his path.

But the home brigade were soon back on the march and only a last-gasp tackle blocked out Test stand-off Lionel Beauxis.

The frantic end-to-end action continued as a chip towards the line sparked panic in the Bordeaux defence, but they regrouped to clear the immediate threat.

Bordeaux began to exert their strength up front in the build-up to the interval.

There was frustration for the crowd and both sets of forwards, however, as ref Hennessy struggled to keep the front rows in check at scrum-time.

He finally lost his patience in the 38th minute and handed the locals a penalty, which Beauxis calmly slotted over to edge his side in front at the conclusion of a scrappy and disjointed first half.

Beauxis teed up another attempt immediately after the restart, but this time the ball dropped short.

Gunners made the most of the reprieve by creating an unconverted try for Tim Visser.

There were further alarm bells for Bordeaux as centre Sam Beard embarked on a charge but, not only did they snuff out the attack, they bagged a touchdown at the other end. Skipper and scrum-half Baptiste Serin was the man who darted over, with Beauxis adding the extras.

The hosts maintained the momentum and another superb challenge by Watson prevented another score.

Beauxis banged over another penalty, though Tom Heathcote followed suit at the other end to keep alive the Edinburgh hopes.

And the tension level rocketed when Hennessy awarded the decisive penalty try for illegal interference of a maul close to the line.

Heathcote made it a seven-pointer – and it proved enough.

Scorers: Bordeaux-Begles: Try: Serin. Con: Beauxis. Pen: Beauxis 2. Edinburgh: Try: Visser, pen try. Con: Heathcote. Pen: Heathcote.

Bordeaux-Begles: D Domvo; C Brousse, F Le Bourhis, T Lacroix, L Blanc; L Beauxis, B Serin (capt); L Del Boulbes, B Auzqui, B Sa, B Botha, A Jaulhac, M Graham, B Guiry, T Tuifua. Subs: C Maynadier, S Taofifenua, P Toetu, M Tauleighne, J-B Lespinasse, Y Lesgourges, P Bernard.

Edinburgh: G Tonks; D Fife, S Beard, A Strauss, T Visser; P Burleigh, S Kennedy; A Dickinson, R Ford, W Nel, A Bresler, G Gilchrist, T Leonardi. H Watson, M Coman (capt). Subs: J Hilterbrand, A Dell, J Andress, O Atkins, R Grant, S Hidalgo-Clyne, T Heathcote, N McLennan.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:14 am

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28604d_ubb-edimbourg-essais_sport

Visser took his try very.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:28 am

It was fife!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:38 am

Edinburgh just tweeted a picture and you could see Coman on crutches with a boot on his leg - hopefully just precautionary, but not a great sign.

Would be great to see Jamie Ritchie starting at 8 v Lyon though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:45 am

oups yes it was Fife indeed! I assumed the twitter feed was right as it looked like a trademark Visser's try!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Oct 2014, 10:47 am

Shame it only showed the one try - I have to see it to believe that Edinburgh managed to get a try from a rolling maul!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 18 Oct 2014, 11:53 am

Absoluely delighed for Edinburgh.
It's these tight victories that draw a team together and instil some self belief.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 20 Oct 2014, 9:43 am

George Carlin wrote:Absoluely delighed for Edinburgh.
It's these tight victories that draw a team together and instil some self belief.

It's also such victories and generate a fragile feeling of hope in us Edinburgh fans than is usually quelled by a drubbing the following week in the Pro12.

Still, regardless of injuries that would have been a good result for us.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 20 Oct 2014, 10:08 am

Anyone fancy doing a Lyon match thread? Or will I just get bored of waiting and make my own?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 20 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

Give me 5 mins and I'll sort a thread

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3