The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zebre vs Ulster

+16
ChequeredJersey
Standulstermen
Don Alfonso
Rory_Gallagher
tatterd
ME-109
Welly
marty2086
GLove39
trustedwomble
BelfastDickVet
neilthom7
VinceWLB
Pete330v2
The Great Aukster
Notch
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Zebre vs Ulster - Page 3 Empty Zebre vs Ulster

Post by Notch Thu 25 Sep 2014, 11:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Good interview with former Ballymena and Rotherham coach Andre Bester, who of course still has strong links to Ulster Rugby, talking about Zebre ahead of this weeks game;

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/zebre-doing-best-to-earn-stripes-30612847.html

Don't expect a repeat of Round 2s walkover. Zebre are a trickier team on their home patch and Ulster may have rotated in a few positions where the depth isn't quite as strong as we'd like- like at scrum-half, open side and lock.

Zebre: H Daniller; G Toniolatti, G Bisegni, K Haimona, L Sarto; E Padovani, G Palazzini; M Aguero, A Manici, D Chistolini; Q Geldenhuys (capt), G Biagi; M Bergamasco, F Cristiano, S Vunisa.
Replacements: O Fabiani, A Lovotti, L Leibson, A Ferreira, V Bernabo, A Chillon, G Garcia, L Orquera

Ulster: C Gilroy; T Bowe, D Cave, S McCloskey, M Allen; P Jackson, M Heaney; C Black, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick; N McComb, F van der Merwe; R Wilson (capt), C Ross, N Williams.
Replacements: R Best, R Murphy, W Herbst, L Stevenson, M McComish, P Marshall, I Humphreys, A Trimble.

At Stadio XXV Aprile, 4pm local time (3pm Ireland & UK). Live on BBC NI
Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (IRFU, 59th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Mateo Liperini, Stefano Penne (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Russell Howell (WRU)
TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)

Last edited by Notch on Fri 26 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Zebre vs Ulster - Page 3 Empty Re: Zebre vs Ulster

Post by SecretFly Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

AbsaZebralootly Lord! That's what he does be meaning. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:56 am

I do think Zebre played a fairly solid game by their own standards and in their purple patch had two near scores stopped only by a touchline and an arm to be followed up by their try (aided by a forward flick) which was richly deserved for there efforts. Ulster should and could have already been a try or two up at that stage but opportunities were squandered.
The Gibbon wasn't the cause of Ulster playing utter gash, that's down to the red card and the collective inability to deal with it, but he and his friendly TMO most definately robbed us of a win. It would have been a win I'd have felt we barely deserved but a win none the less.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:53 am

Has anyone heard exactly what provoked Deccie sicknote? I am surprised it has not filtered along the grapevine to here yet

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:20 pm

Tom if you watch the replays of the punch, the Zebre hooker Manici can be seen ripping his hand out of the ruck across Deccie's face we can only assume as Deccie came out of the ruck with an eye scoket full of claret. You can't clearly see contact with the eyes but the blood is fairly solid evidence that something happened. Not enough for a citing I'd imagine.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:23 pm

Fitzpatrick will be cited because of the red card so it is in the hands of the Citing Commissioner to decide if he has enough evidence to cite Manici as well?

There is no excuse for the punch - that should be a red. How often is there inconsistency though where two players are throwing punches and they are both sent off for just ten minutes to cool down? If a punch is a red card offence then that should apply in every circumstance.

I'd like to see the ref having the option of an "orange" card. This would be where the player is sent off, but a substitute can come on after ten minutes pass on the clock. So for the case of foul play and retaliation, both players take no further part in the game but the game still has a chance of being a fair spectacle.

That wouldn't have had any bearing on Saturday though as Damasco said there was no provocation so in that case it should always be a straight red.

Got to feel sorry for Clive Ross who was given his first big chance and he had to go off through no fault of his own.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:51 pm

I do think any Pro12 side should be made to have or be provided with a big screen if the current use of technology is to remain. If a punch to the face is a red card offence then as you say Don, why is it there can be a flurry of punches thrown, multiple connecting punches between two players and yellow is the only card you'll ever see. Look at Trimble and Williams last season. If the TMO had taken notice of Manici's hand being obviously ripped across Deccie's face then he may not have jumped to the red. At least if there had been a screen at the ground the gibbon may have noticed this added to the blood around Deccie's eye and jumped to his own conclusion.

If the technology is used it must always be in place to be used or lets not use it at all. Personally I'd me more in favour of going back to TMOs only being used in the in-goal area. It would at least save a lot of wear and tear on the pea in funky gibbon's whistle.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:56 pm

Any chance Jake White has stepped down at Sharks cause he is coming to Ulster?

http://www.therugbyblog.com/jake-white-steps-down-as-sharks-director-of-rugby

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:07 pm

Strange timing for White, and the fact that Ulster seem to be holding back announcing their coaching team, so I suppose there's a chance. Doubtful though. Think there's more chance of Kiss coming back as coach after the world cup.

Edit: ...unless IRFU are lining up Kiss to take the Ireland job?

Last edited by Munchkin on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:11 pm

He's a bit of a strange one is Jake White. Coaches the Boks to win the RWC then quits/is ousted, is not employed in a major coaching roll for 4/5 years then he pops up at the Brumbies and suddenly they rise like a phoenix from the flames yet before you can say "Jake White" he asks for early release to join the Sharks, one year later he leaves.
Mind you the Saffers seem to love our beloved Ulster so who knows. Maybe he wants to come and be near Ruan etc Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

It would be interesting to find out what our Saffers think of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm

John Smit wrote:from the outset stated his ambition to be on the international stage again

Smits quote would indicate a national job but no top jobs are available

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:46 pm

I really hope it isn't Jake White, and I really, really think it won't be.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:12 am

I'm with you there Notch and I don't think we have anything to worry about, he wants to be closer to family etc so Belfast won't suit.....unless Ulster Rugby still have a copy of Afoa's contract they could use again Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3