The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Zebre

+12
Rory_Gallagher
BelfastDickVet
Standulstermen
rodders
MrsP
Artful_Dodger
geoff998rugby
neilthom7
Jenifer McLadyboy
Don Alfonso
UlstermaninGlasgow
Notch
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Zebre Empty Ulster vs Zebre

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

Good news! Pienaar is fit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21415571

We really need him over this international period. Having him in the team allows us to keep Olding at 10. Afoa is now back in the UK, so hopefully he will also be available for selection. With those two in harness, the biggest selection problem we have is in the backrow. Iain Henderson should be released from Ireland duty, which will solve a great deal of the problems we had with no ball carrier in the backrow and one of Fridays most ignoble performers Mike McComish will be dropped. Paddy Wallace is likely to be ruled out injured, meaning a Marshall/Cave midfield is likely

Other than Henderson, I wouldn't make too many unforced changes. We have to think of this game- a must-win game- as feeding into our big away game against playoff rivals Glasgow at Scotstoun. Filling the spine of our team with returning internationals will see us to a good home win most likely, but that won't help us next week when they are once again unavailable. There may also be availability issues during the week with Ireland players kept in camp and we can expect Gilroy and Best to be rested. Obviously we want to see Court back at loosehead and Afoa in the front row, but Callum Black should get considerable time at loosehead too.

Extended Ulster squad v Zebre, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 15th February, Ravenhill, 7.05pm;

Forwards (14)

Rob Herring, Niall Annett, Tom Court, Callum Black, John Afoa, Declan Fitzpatrick, Johann Muller, Neil McComb, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Chris Henry, Iain Henderson, Mike McComish, Robbie Diack.

Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Michael Heaney, Stuart Olding, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Ricky Andrew.

Last edited by Notch on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Zebre Empty Re: Ulster vs Zebre

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

We need to extract the maximum amount of league points and confidence from this game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:52 pm

Fitz could use the gametime, but I wouldn't mind if Big John started. Ghost looked decent when he came on, but Trimble and Allen were good. Jackson could use some gametime too but Olding did nothing wrong. It'll be interesting to see if Luke Marshall can play his way into the Ireland squad for Scotland.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Fitz could use the gametime, but I wouldn't mind if Big John started. Ghost looked decent when he came on, but Trimble and Allen were good. Jackson could use some gametime too but Olding did nothing wrong. It'll be interesting to see if Luke Marshall can play his way into the Ireland squad for Scotland.

Bottom line for me is he's not going to be available for the Glasgow game. Ok, fair enough if the IRFU insist on his selection he'll play but it will be counter-producitve for us if Olding has to start in Glasgow. He could use another run-out for his own confidence in the team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:03 pm

Notch wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Fitz could use the gametime, but I wouldn't mind if Big John started. Ghost looked decent when he came on, but Trimble and Allen were good. Jackson could use some gametime too but Olding did nothing wrong. It'll be interesting to see if Luke Marshall can play his way into the Ireland squad for Scotland.

Bottom line for me is he's not going to be available for the Glasgow game. Ok, fair enough if the IRFU insist on his selection he'll play but it will be counter-producitve for us if Olding has to start in Glasgow. He could use another run-out for his own confidence in the team.

Agreed, just making the comment. Hasn't played since the Wolfies game. But would rather see Olding gain more confidence. Much better prospect than having NOC start!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm

Notch wrote:We need to extract the maximum amount of league points and confidence from this game.

Absolutely correct. We need to dole out a mean-spirited, grinding humiliation, if we can.

I think you've got the team spot on, as well - Annett, Birch and Olding have earned starts.

Do we have any idea on when our other injured troops get back? I know Doyle had an operation a few weeks ago - what about D'Arcy/Wilson/Nelson?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
Notch wrote:We need to extract the maximum amount of league points and confidence from this game.

Absolutely correct. We need to dole out a mean-spirited, grinding humiliation, if we can.

I think you've got the team spot on, as well - Annett, Birch and Olding have earned starts.

Do we have any idea on when our other injured troops get back? I know Doyle had an operation a few weeks ago - what about D'Arcy/Wilson/Nelson?

As has Ricky Andrew. I was worried when D'Arcy got injured again that Payne would be burnt out by the end of this season, but Andrew has come on well since his first start!

I was really impressed by Niall Annett in the Munster game and he definitely deserves a shot at starting. Rob Herring had a shocker with the lineout on Friday!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

Was actually delighted with Ricky Andrews performance last night.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:12 pm

Any players with the Ireland squad who are not in the starting 15 and not injured should and will be released for gametime.

This means that they will be started for their province by order unless there is a convincing reason not to.

The idea is they should be up to speed if called upon by Ireland.

This could mean either a longer holiday or a bench spot for Afoa.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:18 pm

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11173.php

More contract extensions!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

If we are forced to play our internationals, we should pick;

Court, Annett, Fitzpatrick
Muller, Tuohy
Henderson, Diack, Henry
Pienaar, Jackson
Marshall, Cave
Trimble, Andrew, Allen

It's obviously a better team, considering the massive injury list we have its a very good team, but it would be in our best interests to keep a few on the bench as we build towards Glasgow- gotta give the guys who will be available for that gametime.

I truly hate this time of year in many ways. Constant club vs country conflict undermines the Pro12. It's going to get worse if league position is used as the qualifying factor for the Heineken Cup!

What chance have Treviso got for example? They could be sitting in sixth and slump down to ninth as they have to go without about 14 or 15 internationals over Feb/March. All Pro12 teams are affected disproportionately by international windows compared to the Top14 and Premiership- one reason why qualification based on league position is more problematic for the Pro12.

I think the greatest strength of the Pro12 is also its greatest weakness. The primacy of international rugby.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:07 pm

I agree with your team Notch only thing I would change is I would play Jackson but bring him off after 50 so Olding could get on for the simple reason that Sexton will almost certainly be fit for Scotland and that mean Kidney's puppy ROG will be on the bench which means barring an injury by the time we go to play Saracens Paddy Jackson will not have played a game for almost 2 months and I just would not want that

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:13 pm

neilthom7 wrote:I agree with your team Notch only thing I would change is I would play Jackson but bring him off after 50 so Olding could get on for the simple reason that Sexton will almost certainly be fit for Scotland and that mean Kidney's puppy ROG will be on the bench which means barring an injury by the time we go to play Saracens Paddy Jackson will not have played a game for almost 2 months and I just would not want that

True that. He needs gametime.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

neilthom7 wrote:I agree with your team Notch only thing I would change is I would play Jackson but bring him off after 50 so Olding could get on for the simple reason that Sexton will almost certainly be fit for Scotland and that mean Kidney's puppy ROG will be on the bench which means barring an injury by the time we go to play Saracens Paddy Jackson will not have played a game for almost 2 months and I just would not want that
my understanding is that sexton will NOT be fit for Scotland. Not sure yet about France. He has a tear in his hamstring not just a strain. Either way I would think Padser will be mandated gametime by the IRFU.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 8:47 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
my understanding is that sexton will NOT be fit for Scotland. Not sure yet about France. He has a tear in his hamstring not just a strain. Either way I would think Padser will be mandated gametime by the IRFU.

You are probably right there

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 11 Feb 2013, 9:54 pm

Lewis Stevenson (@StevensonLewis4)

Thanks for all the messages really happy to have signed on again. To be honest the weather in the South of France just didn't appeal to me

Nice wee joke from Lewis. It's good to see him, McComb and Doyle all signing new contracts. Pity for Doyle getting injured as he'd be starting with Henry away with Ireland.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm

haha fair play to lewis lol I think its worse than that for Doyle because I think Birch has imoressed enoght to possibly move ahead of him now still how we deal with injuries is part of the game

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

Yeah - I was bigging up Andrew on the Ulster vs. Ospeys thread... once everyone else had finished on it. But I thought he looked assured and quite dangerous in attack. You have to wonder what difference regular gametime makes to the performances of your wider squad, given the improvement in him, McComb and Black. That’s' down to Anscombe - McLaughlin, for all his undoubted drive and hard work, wouldn't give some squad members a break at all (Diack, for example).

Interesting to see Doyle get an extension (albeit only of a year). They’ve obviously seen enough to want him to get a decent run. If Birch keeps up his form, however, he’ll struggle to push past him. I’d say there are a number of players in our squad – Andrew on recent form, McComb, Heaney, possibly Allen when Farrell is fit and Bowe and Gilroy are back – who are disproportionately good for being third/fourth choice in their positions. Long may it continue…

If we can get Olding and a tighthead established, we’ll have a decent amount of depth all round.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:42 pm

Notch, Provisional Squad announced

Ireland squad members Chris Henry, Iain Henderson and Declan Fitzpatrick have been added to the provisional Ulster squad ahead of Friday's RabDirect PRO12 game against Zebre at Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm).

Henry and Fitzpatrick were in the match day squad for Ireland’s defeat to England at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday.
Prop John Afoa is also named in Mark Anscombe’s 25 man panel following a short stint in New Zealand. Half backs Michael Heaney and Paddy Jackson have also been added to the squad.

Ulster remain top of the PRO12 table despite the 12-16 home defeat to Ospreys at the weekend. They have a seven point advantage over second places Glasgow Warriors going into the round 15 matches.

Extended Ulster squad v Zebre, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 15th February, Ravenhill, 7.05pm;

Forwards (14)

Rob Herring, Niall Annett, Tom Court, Callum Black, John Afoa, Declan Fitzpatrick, Johann Muller, Neil McComb, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Chris Henry, Iain Henderson, Mike McComish, Robbie Diack.

Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Michael Heaney, Stuart Olding, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Ricky Andrew.

So I'd pick

1. Court 2. Annett 3. Afoa 4. Muller 5. Tuohy 6. Henderson 7. McComish? 8. Diack 9. Pienaar 10. Jackson 11. Allen 12. L. Marshall 13. Cave 14. Trimble 15. Andrew
16. Herring 17. Black 18 Fitzpatrick 19. Stevenson 20. Henry 21. P. Marshall 22. Olding 23. Cochrane

Although might see Henry starting and Fitz as well...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

Actually disappointed to see McComish ahead of Birch but expect its an indication that Henderson and Henry will start at 6 and 7- McComish is a better bench option in theory as he covers more positions.

In practice, he plays all three backrow positions fairly underwhelmingly. Expect a strong team possibly featuring all four of the returning internationals.

Alos no Paul Marshall- whats the story there?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 12 Feb 2013, 12:58 pm

Oh I only just noticed that... Could he be away on his honeymoon maybe? I seem to remember he got married a few weeks back, but wasn't sure if he had headed off anywhere?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:02 pm

I'd be happy to see Heany get a turn off the bench. he has a long-standing partnership iwth Jacko as well, doesn't he?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

The point of releasing players from Ireland is to get them game time. That means that Fitz, Henry, Henderson, and Jackson will probably all start.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

True, but by the same token Afoa hasn't come back this week to have 10 mins at the end, also I suspect Fitz is only good for a 1/2.

I reckon Afoa and he will get 40 mins each.

As there is no Birch it suggest McCromish on te bench and Henry starting

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 12 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

I suppose the choice is (If I'm allowed to crack this one a third time) Do you want McComb on the bench or just McComb-ish.........

I'll get me coat.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:12 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:The point of releasing players from Ireland is to get them game time. That means that Fitz, Henry, Henderson, and Jackson will probably all start.

Yep, I'd rather have them than not have them.

Its unfortunate for us given the fixture list. We have two massive games against playoff rivals (Ospreys at home, Glasgow away) but those are the two games these lads aren't available. Ideally, and no disrespect to Zebre, we should be using this as a warm-up for next weeks massive game against Glasgow. Hence why I'm advocating none of our internationals except Henderson start. But if this weeks game was either of the other two I'd be crying out for them! Laugh

But it's not ideal for the likes of Stuart Olding, you see. His first start at 10 for Ulster last week and he'll be dropped off the back of it because of a decision made in Dublin. Then next week he'll be asked to steer the ship in the most important regular season Pro12 fixture we have remaining! Oof, its exasperating, but what am I going to do? Organise a march? Sign a covenant?

Unlucky draw with the fixture list- what can you do? Glasgow and Ospreys under-strength as well. I'm happy if we have to pick certain players. We need a big confidence boosting win and I want to see these guys playing rugby be it for Ireland or Ulster. A big home crowd expects a win. It's just also important we get the guys who are going to come back in gametime to keep them ticking over- do what the IRFU needs us to do, but make sure we give Olding and Birch good gametime off the bench. I don't like the IRFU meddling, because the coach of any given province is always best placed to make decisions. But in this case, with the injury to Sexton, getting Jackson as much gametime as possible is more than justifiable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:34 am

I fail to understand why Birch isn't in the squad then again Anscombe knows more than we do about player management etc and the way he leads that team who am I to argue. Hopefully Anscombe will let the guys get of the bench with a good bit of time on the clock that need to. Black, Olding etc as we will lose Court unless Healy gets off unbelievanly light. We should be taking 5 points from this good thing about next week is Glasgow make up most of the Scotlnd squad as well.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 8:43 am

Birch only covers 7 McCormish covers the entire back row hence the selection.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:55 pm

Geoff might have been asked already but will PJ be fit for the weekend? Or is he likely to get time off the bench?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

I think he is very close - would not surprise if he and Olding share the game 50/30 or some such. Not sure who would get the 50 though

Seriously need Olding to play as well as he will almost certaintly be 10 against Glasgow

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 13 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

Indeed. Although coming from the other side looking at Glasgow, they're going to be missing a lot more guys again. So it's who's missing more again...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

15 Paolo BUSO

14 Leonardo SARTO*

13 Alberto BENETTIN*

12 Gonzalo GARCIA

11 Sinoti SINOTI

10 Daniel HALANGAHU

9 Alberto CHILLON*

8 Josh SOLE

7 Mauro BERGAMASCO

6 Filippo CRISTIANO

5 Marco BORTOLAMI (cap)

4 Michael VAN VUREN

3 Luca REDOLFINI

2 Andrea MANICI*

1 Andrea DE MARCHI

Replacements :

16 Carlo FESTUCCIA

17 Carlo FAZZARI*

18 Matias AGUERO

19 Dries VAN SCHALKWYK

20 Nicola BELARDO*

21 Alberto CHIESA*

22 Matteo PRATICHETTI

23 David ODIETE*

Coach. Christian GAJAN

Thats the Zebre team. Good team, on paper. Lot of their internationals are back. Sooner or later they're going to give someone a real shock. We better keep the focus. We didn't have the right focus last time out against the Ospreys. Time to use that- put it right.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm

That 10 Halangahu is a very tidy player, I wonder will Zebre be able to keep hold of him or will he go the same way as Nick Williams and join a better club.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:49 pm

Which makes this a great chance for Olding to prove himself against another worthy opponent. Matthew Morgan shone last week.

This time I want Olding to be writing the headlines! I'm pumped for this match. Hope Olding starts- and I hope he has it in him!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:38 am

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/ulster-s-tom-court-in-demand-on-two-fronts-1-4786653

Looks like Court will start- was some speculation he could be held back after the Healy verdict. Kilcoyne is being he;d back from Munsters game vs Scarlets instead.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:43 am

Good interview with Court here; http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/court-puts-hand-up-for-ireland-selection-29066805.html
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:38 pm

Irish management have basically picked the team

Henderson, Henry, Tuohy all starting - Stevenson on the bench

Herring starting, Brady appears to have gone awol

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:01 pm

Team announced

Ulster XV & replacements to face Zebre, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 15th February 2013 (kick off 7.05pm):
(15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Cochrane; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (capt), L Stevenson, I Henderson, C Henry, R Diack;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, J Afoa, N McComb, M McComish, M Heaney, S Olding, N Walsh.

Bad news - Tuohy was in the team on Tuesday - must have broken down will have to find out what the situation is

Anyone know anything above Walsh - heard the name but never seen play

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:06 pm

Just that he's been training with the team and what it says in the article. He's from Dublin originally but has been playing club rugby in Australia for three years.

Know anything about why Michael Allen isn't involved? Mightily disappointed by that actually. He's had a good season.

Wasn't the original idea to slowly phase in Herring and Annett to replace Brady over the course of the season? I thought Brady was going to retire. He's winding down, even though I still rate him. Think his absence is more to do with Annett getting gametime and exposure.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

Brady is not winding down - he has done a Barker

We could down to bare bones in the 2nd Row next week. Ireland are in big trouble in the 2nd Row and Stevenson could well in the mix

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:17 pm

This is an Ulster team with the balance I love to see.

13 Irish Qualified players, 2 NIE but Muller and Pienaar are of the highest quality and bring the best out of those around them. Meanwhile the Irish players range from the experienced first team mainstays (Court, Trimble, Henry, Cave) to the exciting young things (Jackson, Henderson, Marshall) to the even younger guys making their first steps in professional rugby (Cochrane, Olding, Annett, Walsh, Andrew). Then you have solid pro12 players in Herring, Fitzpatrick, Stevenson, and Diack to round things off.

Arguably how those last four perform is the key. Like last week, I hope our pack is strong enough to let our backs have a run at them and get the ball in space. Last week our pack were second best in every facet of play. We are top because this season Anscombe has got the best out of players like Stevenson, McComb, Diack, McComish etc. The guys like Pienaar and Muller and Trimble and Henry have been as classy as ever but it's the contribution of the so-called journeymen that'll be the difference between a bad game and a good one.

Can't wait now!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:17 pm

A lot of names missing from last week - Marshall, Birch, Allen - strange

Tommy Bowe update:

Got screws in his knee and the ligaments tied to them
should be back in about 4-6 weeks

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:20 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Brady is not winding down - he has done a Barker

We could down to bare bones in the 2nd Row next week. Ireland are in big trouble in the 2nd Row and Stevenson could well in the mix

You're speculating Tuohy won't be fit- understandable.

McCarthy and Ryan are both carrying knocks but I think even if one is half-fit they will get the bench spot. And surely even Kidney wouldn't try a Stevenson and O'Callaghan lock partnership against one of the best lineout sides in the tournament? DOC and Lewis both great front jumpers, we clearly need a middle jumper.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

Well Tuohy was fit to play on Tuesday but not today - something has happened (Trying to find out)
MCarthy is a major doubt.
Both Ryan and BOD to see specialists next week - so could be as many of 6 of the starters from last week missing next.

Ireland could be down to DOC, Toner, Henderson and Stevenson next week for 2nd row.

I dont think Stevenson will start but he could be on the bench, Toner could start. Toner has been training with the squad.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

An alternative scenario has been put to me.

has Tuohy been pulled from the side because McCarthy is out and Ryan still a doubt

Interesting if true

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:36 pm

Dublin born winger Neil Walsh, who joined Ulster last month after a three year spell playing for Melbourne Rugby Club, could make his debut after being named among the replacements. If he makes an appearance on Friday night he will be the 46th player to represent the Province this season, 41 of which are Irish qualified.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:48 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Dublin born winger Neil Walsh, who joined Ulster last month after a three year spell playing for Melbourne Rugby Club, could make his debut after being named among the replacements. If he makes an appearance on Friday night he will be the 46th player to represent the Province this season, 41 of which are Irish qualified.

Yeah that's pretty good... We are on 50 and 46 though. Laugh

Would Irish Management not want Game Time for Tuohy if they were going to call him?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:53 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:The point of releasing players from Ireland is to get them game time. That means that Fitz, Henry, Henderson, and Jackson will probably all start.
And while I'm in gloat mode. Smile Laugh

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

Thats certaintly the flaw in the logic.

An injury seems more likely - if it isn't an injury my take is McCarthy is out and Ryan is a major doubt and they feel they just can't risk another 2nd row injury. If this was the case I could see Toner and DOC starting with Tuohy and Henderson on the bench

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 14 Feb 2013, 1:55 pm

The thing about that 46 number is we only started the season with 41 players, including the Academy, so 5 player outside that circle.

Not sure that has ever happened before at least to that extent

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next