The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

+47
blackcanelion
funnyExiledScot
Tattie Scones RRN
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Geordie
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pat_Mustard
TheMildlyFranticLlama
SecretFly
RDW
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
EST
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
EWT Spoons
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
sensisball
Pete330v2
Weegie Wizard
Nematode
Argybargy
LeinsterFan4life
demosthenes
quinsforever
lostinwales
Captain_Sensible
tigertattie
Notch
CraigS1874
Dorothy_Mantooth
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
madmaccas
alive555
justified sinner
BigGee
reallybored
GLove39
cakeordeath
TJ
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
JonnyEdinburgh
VinceWLB
RuggerRadge2611
jimbopip
51 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 3 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by IanBru Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Banter through the ages:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 3 Laurel-and-hardy
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv

Well friends, the pre-season has come and gone, now things get real.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 3 Edinburgh-Festival-2011-Background1

1. Pre-Season

Edinburgh 10-11 Leicester Tigers
Edinburgh 21-15 Newcastle Falcons

2. Results
Munster 13-14 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 13-14 Connacht
Ospreys 62-13 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 20-20 Scarlets
Ulster 30-0 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 24-10 Newport Gwent Dragons
Bordeaux-Bègles 13-15 Edinburgh

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Friday 24 Oct 2014 - 19:45 (TBC)
Lyon   (H)   -   European Rugby Challenge Cup

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 3 0

1. Pre-Season Results
Glasgow Warriors 23-24 Harlequins
London Scottish 19-38 Glasgow Warriors

2. Results
Glasgow Warriors 22-20 Leinster
Cardiff Blues 12-33 Glasgow Warriors
Newport Gwent Dragons 13-33 Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht
Benetton Treviso 23-40 Glasgow Warriors
Ulster 29-9 Glasgow Warriors

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 15:15 (Live on BT Sport 2)
Bath   (H)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 18:15 (Live on Sky Sports)
Montpellier Herault   (A)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Any and all discussion of things rugby-related is welcome. Restaurant recommendations are openly sought. Introductions to eligible young people would be fantastic. Bullying, jingoism, and wang-measuring is not on.

We need to move forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Last edited by IanBru on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:04 am; edited 5 times in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:07 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:There's an A game between Glasgow and Edinburgh on Monday, in Stirling.  Game kicks off at 5pm and entry is free.
#

That's a good thing to see.

However I suspect it will mean one of two things:

- The pro players will not be released to the clubs on Saturday, which would be a shame

or

- They will play on Saturday, and will have to play again on the Monday - increasing the chance of injury, and reducing the quality and meaningfulness of the match as the players won't be fresh.

Players need higher level than the club games, these A games go some way to bridge the gap.  

Maitland and Finn Russell are supposed to be playing some part which would mean they aren't involved tomorrow.

Would a cobbled together A game really be a higher level than proper 'teams' playing against each other in the Premiership?

p.s. kind of feels weird talking about rugby after what has just happened.

p.p.s I'm going to have to stop making jokes about Fife so much since they voted No!

Ok, higher level is probably not what I meant, although it is what I said. Too much listening to Politicians I think.

I think the benefit is that the fringe Pro Players and elite club prospects will get the chance over the year to play in a number of games for the same team, coaches etc against similar standard over a season.

Provides more a tangible path to development than currently exists.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 3 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:09 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:A comparatively low turnout in Glasgow was interesting. You'd think that the self proclaimed soul of Scotland and home of world class rugby players would have at least had the gumption to turn up and vote, but apparently they had better and more important things to do. That White Lightening won't drink itself.....

Too many of them in George Square, burning (or at least trying to) Union flags.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:09 am

Pleased the Weegies were being their usual productive selves!

I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised by the fact that only 4 from 32 districts in Scotland voted for separation.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:05 pm

As Anatole France so famously said,
"The people have spoken...The bastards."

p.s. GC, Bru , someone start a thread for tomorrow's game ffs.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 19 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Jim, I'm working on it now. Just note, I'm running on two hours' sleep. If I had the energy, I'd gobble down some ProPlus, then inject some Calpol in my eyes.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Sep 2014, 4:04 pm

Strong Edinburgh A team announced - surprisingly they are mainly squad players, was expecting more Prem 1 players in there.

Good to see Alan Dell making an appearance - hopefully see him in the Edinburgh squad soon:

15 Chris Auld
14 Brett Thompson
13 Chris Dean
12 Joaquin Dominguez
11 A N Other
10 Ruairi Howarth
9 Alex Glashan

1 Rory Sutherland
2 Neil Cochrane
3 Simon Berghan
4 Alex Toolis
5 Ben Toolis
6 Jamie Ritchie
7 Roddy Grant (captain)
8 Magnus Bradbury

Substitutes
16 Jake Kerr
17 Alan Dell / Wicus Blaauw
18 Ewan McQuillin
19 Ollie Atkins
20 Ally Miller
21 Grayson Hart
22 Austin Lockington
23 Sam Pecqueur

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:03 pm

That left wing slot is wide open for you RDW. Your time is now!

Good side, and I'm familiar with all the players other than Howarth at 10.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:29 pm

Haha, Mr A N Other and his 7 namesakes used to play alongside me for Langholm Colts 10 years ago. He must have improved a lot since those days though as I remember him being a fat, lazy, disinterested Hawick/Selkirk/Gala/Kelso/Berwick* reserve who couldn't get a game for his own team.
*delete where applicable

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:31 pm

I think we should play Atiga on the wing, just for a laugh.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think we should play Atiga on the wing, just for a laugh.

I'm sure his real name was actually Atiga now you mention it!  Laugh

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Sep 2014, 9:53 pm

In other news, some of you may remember me talking about Scotland under 20s lock Andy Cramond, who played for my club a few seasons ago, and who was not offered an SRU contract for being too small (he's 6ft 5 and 18st).

Well, he came off the bench for Toulon tonight!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:In other news, some of you may remember me talking about Scotland under 20s lock Andy Cramond, who played for my club a few seasons ago, and who was not offered an SRU contract for being too small (he's 6ft 5 and 18st).

Well, he came off the bench for Toulon tonight!

Yeah I saw that, was he any good?

Talking of club teams in scotland, my club have just recruited a back rower from South Africa. Was playing currie cup rugby a few weeks ago, wasps, London Irish and a couple other clubs in England and France offered him contracts but turned them all down as he wants to play in scotland and for scotland. Why he chose my club I've no idea, we are terrible this season.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:58 pm

Toulon were pumping brive and he came on with the game I'm the bag, so hard to tell. Did a few good clear outs though!

Just so surreal seeing him with all these superstars. He was on the bench with bastereaud!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:02 pm

Pleased for him after being another one shafted by the sru. Adam sinclair is another v good young lock starting for albi each week in the d2 at the moment.
Are you guys in prem 3 this season rdw?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:03 pm

National 3 I think it's called now - the lowest national league.

Started with 2 bp wins though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm

Doing better than us then, we are in national 3 as well but in the other pool. Been pumped by 70 points each game so far!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:10 pm

If he was playing Currie cup rugby why did he come to national 3??

Thats not gonna get him a pro contract!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm

Think his dad has links with our club from years ago and we've lined him up with a job and also found him a flat so think he wanted to stay loyal for this season and go from there. Think he will make a big impression. Not the tallest but never seen arms like this before, he is massive.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 7:38 am

Andy cramond is playing for toloun?!?? Don't get me wrong an absolute unit but never thought he could make it too that level, although I do remember RHC playing him in the centre at junior level and he caused havoc due to his size.

Haddington need all the help they can get this season maj, horrible start to the season I hope he is good but I am never sure importing players is the answer at this level they can be very hit or miss.

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:43 am

I agree Craig - he probably doesn't know himself what the hell he's doing playing for Toulon, but He's obviously going to make the most of it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 20 Sep 2014, 10:00 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Toulon were pumping brive and he came on with the game I'm the bag, so hard to tell. Did a few good clear outs though!

Just so surreal seeing him with all these superstars. He was on the bench with bastereaud!
He's 18st and then Bastereaud?? Ffs what kind of bench was it. Made from girders?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 Sep 2014, 1:38 pm

Another Scottish player who seems to be doing quite nicely under the radar is Scott Steele, who was vying for the u20 jersey a couple of seasons ago against Murray McConnell, whilst at Tigers academy.

He moved in the closed season to London Irish, where you might have imagined him being a 3rd choice squad player. Instead he has started every game so far, keeping Tomas O'Leary on the bench. I have not had the chance to see them play yet, the TV schedules don't do LI any favours, but you would assume to be holding down the starting shirt he must be making a reasonable impression. Quite a few Scots at the not nots now, the one who does not seem to have featured all that much yet is Dr Cross. maybe he is injured?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 20 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

So, next week it's Glasgow v Connacht in a top of the table clash. Can the Weege do better than the MFL? Was Socrates fond of an argument?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:45 pm

Blimey, have you seen the Glasgow A team for the Monday night game? That team would give most teams in the league a decent game and would beat a few. There really is some depth in the Glasgow squad just now

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:47 pm

I'm not brave enough to check again but I flicked onto the live score page for the O's match and it told me that Edinburgh shipped 7 tries this evening.

Can someone who's been watching tell me what the hell happened?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:49 pm

From an Edinburgh PoV this A game is a disaster - we've got a 5 day turnaround and they decide to put an extra game for the squad in the middle?

A number of our A squad are playing today, and will be playing in Friday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:52 pm

George Carlin wrote:I'm not brave enough to check again but I flicked onto the live score page for the O's match and it told me that Edinburgh shipped 7 tries this evening.

Can someone who's been watching tell me what the hell happened?

Its about as bad as you can possibly imagine, or probably worse. Seen some shocking performances from Edinburgh over the years, but this surely takes the biscuit. Some of those players really need to ask themselves if they really want to be professional rugby players!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:52 pm

That A game couldn't come at a worse time for Edinburgh.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:53 pm

Sorry GC, I turned off in disgust after about 55 minutes the MFL were so shockingly inept it wasn't even funny any more.
Hildebrand's arrows made Can't throw Won't hook look like Eric Bristow and the other 14 were, if anything even worse around the park.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:54 pm

Well it will give some of the Edinburgh fringe players a chance to show what they can do. Surely they can't be any worse than the ones that played today!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:56 pm

BigGee wrote:Well it will give some of the Edinburgh fringe players a chance to show what they can do. Surely they can't be any worse than the ones that played today!

Big ask on the squad though to play 3 games in 6 days, especially when there's so much work to do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 21 Sep 2014, 5:58 pm

Doh steam picard

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:13 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:Well it will give some of the Edinburgh fringe players a chance to show what they can do. Surely they can't be any worse than the ones that played today!

Big ask on the squad though to play 3 games in 6 days, especially when there's so much work to do.

Most of them need some game time, it probably does mean that there won't be to many changes for next week, other than the players who have been rested. Anyone who makes any kind of impression could be on the bench though. I think you have got to look at it as a chance for some players to prove themselves, Edinburgh really do need more options than they have got at the moment. That performance today was just unacceptable by any standards.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:17 pm

I just don't think our chances of getting anything out of Friday's game against Scarlets at home will not be helped by having to play a game tomorrow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:19 pm

Glasgow team for the A game tomorrow.

15. Sean Maitland
14. Lee Jones
13. Connor Braid
12. James Downey
11. Rory Hughes
10. Finn Russell
9. Murray McConnell

1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
2. Fergus Scott
3. Gary Strain
4. Tom Ryder
5. Al Kellock (Captain)
6. James Eddie
7. Will Bordill
8. Adam Ashe

Replacements from:

James Malcolm (EDP), Matt Goodwin (Currie), George Hunter (Glasgow Warriors/Ayr), Steven Findlay (Glasgow Hawks), Zander Fagerson (EDP), Jamie Gray (Currie), Tommy Spinks (EDP), Blair McPherson (Ayr), Ali Price (EDP), Danny McLuskey (Ayr), Ruaridh Smith (Currie), Fraser Lyle (Stirling County)

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

Only real area of relative weakness in terms of experience is hooker and TH and that's only coz we have two regulars injured at both positions.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I just don't think our chances of getting anything out of Friday's game against Scarlets at home will not be helped by having to play a game tomorrow!

The thing is if you accept the principle that A games are a good idea, you do have to find some time to play them. In a crowded season there is always never going to be a good time. Monday night is a good a time as any, anyone who is likely to be playing next Friday is only going to get a half at most. The Glasgow bench is pretty big, so these are going to be more like pre season games than a full league game. They might just give someone a chance to shine though and longer term might improve the quality of Edinburgh's squad, which clearly needs to happen.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:30 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Glasgow team for the A game tomorrow.

15. Sean Maitland
14. Lee Jones
13. Connor Braid
12. James Downey
11. Rory Hughes
10. Finn Russell
9. Murray McConnell

1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
2. Fergus Scott
3. Gary Strain
4. Tom Ryder
5. Al Kellock (Captain)
6. James Eddie
7. Will Bordill
8. Adam Ashe

Replacements from:

James Malcolm (EDP), Matt Goodwin (Currie), George Hunter (Glasgow Warriors/Ayr), Steven Findlay (Glasgow Hawks), Zander Fagerson (EDP), Jamie Gray (Currie), Tommy Spinks (EDP), Blair McPherson (Ayr), Ali Price (EDP), Danny McLuskey (Ayr), Ruaridh Smith (Currie), Fraser Lyle (Stirling County)

Of that team, several will feature next Friday. I think we can assume that Niko and Josh won't be fit, so Ashe will probably start and McConnell will be on the bench. I have a feeling that Downey is due a start as well and we could see any of Kellock, Ryder, Maitland, Russell on the bench.

If Downey and Ashe do start on Friday, expect to see them get pulled at half time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm

All I can say is blah-ha-ha ha. Brilliant Luvvies - you really cheered me up big time today. We would put 100 on the twets on that evidence. Lets do it on Monday for an even bigger laugh

Thats it this time Notch - honest !

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:50 pm

Midway through the 2nd half I saw this tweet
@JLyall93: A year ago, almost to the day, Edinburgh were spanked 44-10 at the Liberty by a stronger Ospreys side than this one. What has changed? wrote:

Checked back later and check out the reply from Andy Titterrell!
@andytitterrell: @JLyall93 they had something that resembled a defence last time? wrote:

Smack down from a former teammate

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:59 pm

Schiz - no kicking your fellows in the crackers when they're already down.

Thanks to everyone for the updates.

Just back froma week of lock-in work meetings in Paris (sounds glamorous, it's totally not) so thanks to everyone who set up the threads this week.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:All I can say is blah-ha-ha ha.  Brilliant Luvvies - you really cheered me up big time today.    We would put 100 on the twets on that evidence.   Lets do it on Monday for an even bigger laugh

Time for you to show some class 21st. All the Edinburgh fans on here will have felt Glasgow's convincing defeat to Leinster in the final as keenly as Glasgow fans, so laughing st Edinburgh's demise isn't in the spirit of rugby really.

And unless you've formed the independent republic of Glasgow, Scottish rugby needs Edinburgh performing well.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 21 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

See the part time fans are complaining about Edinburgh on Facebook again... Run  Wink

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm

GLove39 wrote:See the part time fans are complaining about Edinburgh on Facebook again... Run  Wink

Just saw that.

What a douche.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 21 Sep 2014, 10:15 pm

Always amuses me that no matter how many poor seasons we've had, no matter how many matches we get gubbed there's always at least one person who chimes out a line like that!!!!

Can only conclude that guy was Solomon's in disguise.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 21 Sep 2014, 11:23 pm

I refer now to the OP:
IanBru wrote:Bullying, jingoism, and wang-measuring is not on.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:34 am

Well trying to look on the bright side, we've got 5 points from the opening 3 games, and that is just about what we would have expected at the start of the season given we had Munster & Ospreys away and Connacht at home.

What is worrying though is how our performances are in complete free-fall.  I thought our performance against Munster was our best since Munster in the HK last year - 8 out of 10.  We were very limp and tame against Connacht and deserved to lose - 5 out of 10.  We were simply dreadful against Ospreys - 1 out of 10!

Scarlets and Dragons are our next two home game (with Ulster away in the middle Shocked ), so unless we want our season to be over by November we need to win those home games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:40 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:All I can say is blah-ha-ha ha.  Brilliant Luvvies - you really cheered me up big time today.    We would put 100 on the twets on that evidence.   Lets do it on Monday for an even bigger laugh

Why you got to be like that?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:21 am

Hug For anyone else who may not have seen it, 21st left his resignation post on the indy ref thread.

Part of me is sad to see him go but recently he has just resorted to mud slinging and has dragged his reputation down through his childish and baseless rants (just like his parting shot at Edinburgh above)

Time for us to have a schitz free era going forward now
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:26 am

Sad to see Schiz go, he was, an illuminating human being.

As for Edinburgh they were a bag of rancid excrement yesterday.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next