The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II...

+11
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
trottb
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
theanimal316
jimdig
All Time Great
mobilemaster8
88Chris05
Commander
15 posters

Go down

Who will win?

(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_lcap0%(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_lcap7%(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_lcap7%(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_lcap60%(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 9 ]
(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_lcap0%(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_lcap26%(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 15

(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Empty (Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II...

Post by Commander Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:05 pm

.. in Denmark in early November!

Commander

Back to top Go down

(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Empty Re: (Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II...

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:26 pm

Bloody 'ell, of all the possible next scenarios for these two I think this would be the one I was least expecting if it comes to pass. Didn't know if Kessler was serious when he said that he'd got the buzz back after his time away to become a father and if he really wanted the hard graft, or if he was just after a retirement fund third fight with Froch. If indeed he does jump back in there with Ward, safe to say he truly believes he's still got the desire, because even if it's in Denmark it'll probably make less for him than a Froch fight.

I think Ward would very possibly stop him in a return, mind you.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

(Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II... Empty Re: (Possible) breaking news - Kessler v Ward II...

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:31 pm

WHAT?!? Is this a complete windup?!

Ward refuses to travel to fight Froch. People say he can't fight any others because contractual disputes etc.

But now he takes on a retired boxer he headbutted to death YEARS ago?!

And he decides to travel for it?!

Froch must be raged. I would be.

What a joke champion.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:50 pm

Well if we're being honest, mobile, Froch doesn't really want to fight Ward again in any case, and has pretty much admitted this. A Kessler rematch wouldn't have been at the top of Ward's wish list, I'm pretty sure of that, but I'd assume that it's Kessler / Sauerland who have made the move and put forward a proper proposal here, something which Froch and Hearn never did since the end of the Super Six.

He boxed, punched and outmanoeuvred Kessler to death before he head butted him to death as well by the way, fella.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:53 pm

Fair points chris but for a while froch did chase a rematch but recently has cooled the situation because quite frankly Froch would rather fight better opposition or young hungry talents....as opposed to genuinely not fighting and avoiding credible fighters because he is too good hence his nickname.

I don't rate him at all. Calzaghe in his prime beats him. So does a prime Kessler.

He bores me, ugly to watch and hardly fights. No idea how he ranks so high up the p4p list to be fair mate. After this (if true) I see him dropping outside the top 5 for sure.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:09 am

What makes you think Kessler wasn't in his prime when Ward beat him? The one defeat to Calzaghe?

Kessler beat a previously undefeated Froch in his very next fight after losing to Ward, and his long spells of inactivity due to injury and management didn't start until after that point, so pretty reaching to say that Kessler wasn't at his best anymore when Ward beat him. At best, he could only have been very slightly past his smack bang peak - but Ward beat him so comprehensively that it'd still take a big leap of faith to suggest that he couldn't have done the same against a Kessler with another ten per cent in the tank.

I can understand your (or anyone else's) frustrations with how Ward's career has unfolded in the last couple of years, but it seems to me like some of the really, really bad Froch obsessives just don't want to give him any credit for anything he's done at all, full stop.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:47 am

Doubt this is happening, Ward is embroiled in a contractual dispute. No word on him fighting anytime soon.

Would happily watch this again if it were to happen. Ward by a very comfortable points decision.

As for Froch, looks like he only wants a Chavez Jr fight in Vegas, or nothing.... Degale is a small possibility but I don't think there is enough needle between the two to generate large of enough viewing figures which is worthy enough for Froch's time given his increasing age.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 12 Aug 2014, 7:50 am

Kessler has the hunger back? Could Ward have enough ring rust to give Kessler the edge? No chance, ward will knock the hunger out of him, Kessler will retire after safe in the knowledge he has nothing left to offer. Kessler has no need for this fight, ward needs something though, he's becoming irrelevant.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:00 am

This is great for boxing. We have a great champion back fighting (hopefully regularly) and a former great champion keen to still show he has what it takes. I give the viking warrior a chance here. Although both have been inactive, you have to question Ward's hunger to get back in there whilst if true that Sauerland/Kessler approached Ward then his own hunger must still be there. Add in the fact that it is in Denmark which makes Kessler a very dangerous underdog. I certainly won't be ruling an upset out.

George Groves must feel he has a shout of getting the winner of this one if he can get past Rebrasse and then Bika/Dirrell. The Kessler fight would be easily made by the Sauerlands and you would think Ward would want the Groves fight if he had a another belt that Ward could take and add to his collection.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:15 am

I've no real appetite for this. If Kessler couldn't get to him a few years ago, I don't see how it gets better for him now, however ring rusty ward may it may not be.

I'd watch groves ward, I don't fancy George's chances but he'd present a different challenge to ward.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:15 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Fair points chris but for a while froch did chase a rematch but recently has cooled the situation because quite frankly Froch would rather fight better opposition or young hungry talents....as opposed to genuinely not fighting and avoiding credible fighters because he is too good hence his nickname.

I don't rate him at all. Calzaghe in his prime beats him. So does a prime Kessler.

He bores me, ugly to watch and hardly fights. No idea how he ranks so high up the p4p list to be fair mate. After this (if true) I see him dropping outside the top 5 for sure.

Deluded post of the year..........award.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:41 am

Why is it deluded Truss if you don't mind me asking?

The fact that my opinion of a fighter is different to yours?

I stated he would lose to a prime Kessler and calzaghe....because I think he would.

Ward is wasting his own talent fighting nobody whilst the super middle weigh division and those around him move forward fightibg on a regular basis. Some in what we call modern day superfights. Something ward could only dream of being in....yet based on peoples opinion he already SHOULD be in....but never has... Wonder why.

And finally he IS boring to watch. Very crude at times and rarely is there excitement coming from him in the ring.

Like Jim said....Ward needs a fight in general.....because he IS becoming irrelevant whether people like it or not.

If you think my opinion is deluded that's up to you Truss but I've seen plenty more deluded comments coming from your keyboard mate over the past few years.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:44 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:WHAT?!? Is this a complete windup?!

Ward refuses to travel to fight Froch. People say he can't fight any others because contractual disputes etc.

But now he takes on a retired boxer he headbutted to death YEARS ago?!

And he decides to travel for it?!

Froch must be raged. I would be.

What a joke champion.

Froch is probably happy he didn't offer to come to Nottingham. I cannot imagine what you ever saw in their first fight to make you believe that the result this time would be any different? Hardly a joke champion when he is by far the best fighter at SMW, possibly LHW too.

As for the fight itself, I think it is a decent match-up to see where Ward is in terms of ring rust. I fully expect him to win a comfortable UD though.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 10:24 am

If it comes off then I don’t think it’s a particularly great fight even with the caveat of Ward travelling to Kessler’s back yard. Kessler looked a bit of a faded force in the Froch rematch, good losing effort though it was, and he copped a fair bit of punishment in that one. Combine that with a possible eighteen months of inactivity and it’s a mystery to me how he improves on (or even stays level pegged with) his showing against Ward back in 2009. It wasn’t even close to being good enough to beat Ward then, so I personally can’t see any way he wins now.

That said, I’ve stressed in the past that if Ward can’t get the really big fights he wants, I’d still rather see him back in the ring at least keeping busy against the next rung of opponents rather than sitting there throwing a moody, with a face like thunder on him and wasting away his prime complaining about how things have unfolded for him. At least with this one he’ll do a little something to dispel the idea that he always wants everything on his terms and won’t hit the road….Who knows, maybe it might just be enough to convince someone like Stevenson that they could convince him to come to Montreal and actually make a proper approach to fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 10:59 am

LOL @ Froch if true.

Only remotely interesting point about this is Ward stepping outside his living room for the first time. Otherwise a meaningless fight that does nothing to help Ward's standing or suggest he's willing to take on a challenge.

Totally predictable outcome too - Ward UD in a snoozefest.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Why is it deluded Truss if you don't mind me asking?

The fact that my opinion of a fighter is different to yours?

I stated he would lose to a prime Kessler and calzaghe....because I think he would.

Ward is wasting his own talent fighting nobody whilst the super middle weigh division and those around him move forward fightibg on a regular basis. Some in what we call modern day superfights. Something ward could only dream of being in....yet based on peoples opinion he already SHOULD be in....but never has... Wonder why.

And finally he IS boring to watch. Very crude at times and rarely is there excitement coming from him in the ring.

Like Jim said....Ward needs a fight in general.....because he IS becoming irrelevant whether people like it or not.

If you think my opinion is deluded that's up to you Truss but I've seen plenty more deluded comments coming from your keyboard mate over the past few years.
It would be nice (and quite interesting) for you to provide a list of reasons as to WHY Ward loses to both of these fighters. For me, a version of Calzaghe who DOESN'T have brittle hands takes Ward....just, but I'd be one the fence otherwise. Genuinely don't believe Kessler beats Ward at any stage in his career. Kessler was getting the better of Joe until Calzaghe switched tactics on him and Andre is as smart a fighter as they come. Kessler would always be second best against him. No slight on Kessler, genuinely nice guy and decent enough fighter but not in Ward's league I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:07 am

Quite a good fight for Ward actually after a bit of a layoff. Measure of how good the Oakland fighter is that people are dismissing a fight with the Dane in front of his home crowd.

Kessler goading Ward ever since their first one- Ward only won it by headbutts, won't travel not a real champion etc., so could be a bit of needle in this one who knows. Get to see Ward in a hostile environment for the first time in his career. Ward gets to tick the 'will travel' box(without coming to England!) that has been bugging a lot of fans since his easy ride(comparatively,) in the Super Six. All in all not a bad fight at all, hope they can reach agreement.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 12 Aug 2014, 1:39 pm

Hope this fight doesn't happen. Kessler looked totally shot against Froch and will stand no chance now against Ward. Would rather the great Dane and one of boxings top blokes just retire now. He has nothing to prove and is admired as a fighter and a man within the boxing world

I understand Ward is short on opposition at the moment but surely there must be better options than this. If the fight happen I shall be cheering on the great Dane ofcourse but as a Kessler fan I think it would be a painful fight to watch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 2:22 pm

Steffan wrote:Hope this fight doesn't happen. Kessler looked totally shot against Froch and will stand no chance now against Ward. Would rather the great Dane and one of boxings top blokes just retire now. He has nothing to prove and is admired as a fighter and a man within the boxing world

I understand Ward is short on opposition at the moment but surely there must be better options than this. If the fight happen I shall be cheering on the great Dane ofcourse but as a Kessler fan I think it would be a painful fight to watch

Did you notice any signs in particular that Kessler was shot in the rematch Steffan? I thought he looked decent but Froch had his tactics spot on with a really sharp jab which nullified Kessler. Also think the crowd had the same affect for Froch that they did for Kessler in Denmark, made the hometown fighter up his game. When Kessler did get through in the rematch he hurt Froch and almost had him out in the 11th if I recall. Kessler looked dead on his feet in the 12th so I am wondering if poor preparation was an issue too...

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 2:25 pm

The main sign Steffan noticed was that there was an English b**tard in one of the corners.....So of course Kessler was past it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

Kessler always had a snappy jab and looked strong on his feet

Against Froch the jab had gone and I swore that I was watching Bambi during certain parts of the fight the way Kessler was losing his feet like a man in Wetherspoons after 15 double Vodkas. Not the same fighter in anyway at all

Therefore totally shot

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:18 pm

Or maybe, unlike JC, Froch just had the pop in his shots to wobble Kessler.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm

Did Ward wobble Kessler? Did Froch with his mighty pop in his shots wobble Kessler in the first fight? NO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm

Did he look strong on his feet when Allan Green put him over?

Think Steffy is confusing "totally shot" with "not as good as he once was"

Froch was mugging Kessler for the first three rounds then Kessler got his sh!t together and won the next three. He still hurt Froch at the end of the fight but exhaustion shouldn't be taken as an indicator that a fighter is shot.

Still, whenever there's the remotest possibility of shoehorning Calzaghe into a thread, Steffy takes the opportunity, therefore any thread that involves Kessler or Froch leads to Steffy demonstrating a complete lack of objectivity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Still, whenever there's the remotest possibility of shoehorning Calzaghe into a thread, Steffy takes the opportunity, therefore any thread that involves Kessler or Froch leads to Steffy demonstrating a complete lack of objectivity.
Its STEFFAN you stupid Frak Tinkywinky

Where have I mentioned Calzaghe at all you stupid Frak Tinkywinky?

Why dont you just Frak and do us all a favour on here???

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:27 pm

I hate the swear filter when trying to deal with a (unt like Dave...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:32 pm

I think you need to make the distinction between a fighter being past their best or having maybe declined a little and a fighter being shot or properly washed up. You can be a bit faded without being ready for the scrap heap.

I think if you take the version of Kessler who fought Froch last year and play it side by side with the version who fought Calzaghe back in 2007, you can definitely see that he’s a step slower and not as active. No doubting for me that it wasn’t a peak version of the Dane that Froch beat, but that doesn’t mean it’s not still a good win and that Kessler wasn’t still a threat. He lost but his performance was still pretty good, particularly in the latter rounds after a pretty pedestrian start.

Kessler’s got such a wealth of experience and grit to call on that he’ll probably still be able to put up a reasonable fight here, but a faster fighter than himself in Ward, who doesn’t get hit that much, is the kind of guy who is going to highlight even more emphatically how he’s regressed.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 12 Aug 2014, 3:39 pm

Good post Chris. Maybe I did go a bit far by calling him shot but I still love how Mr 'I got sacked from being a moderator' and Mr 'Im so hard over the internet' are making out Kessler was in the prime of his life last year

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 4:07 pm

Steffan wrote:Good post Chris. Maybe I did go a bit far by calling him shot but I still love how Mr 'I got sacked from being a moderator' and Mr 'Im so hard over the internet' are making out Kessler was in the prime of his life last year

Who dat??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 4:12 pm

In case that was aimed at me, I've never once on this thread said Kessler was anything like 'prime'.

You're so transparent though whenever anything even remotely connected to JC comes up that someone needs to chuck in some balance somewhere along the line.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 12 Aug 2014, 4:17 pm

Regardless of how far Kessler had slipped in his defeat to Froch, the 18 months of inactivity since surely won't help his cause against Ward. Ward will similarly need to have ring rust and not at full motivation for Kessler to prevail (which i'm hoping for).

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Aug 2014, 4:24 pm

Any chance one of the MODS could ban STEFFY from the forum? He's been extremely rude to me and I was very complimentary about him the other week when I stated that STEFFY took all the banter/abuse with good grace and now I've been left feeling rather silly.

Steffy is clearly emotionally unbalanced and very mean to boot. As a long time and much respected (f**k off) member of this forum, I feel it only just that I be given far more consideration than I'm currently getting.

I note Chris has made a similar comment (but less intelligent and articulate than mine) about drawing the distinction between "shot" and "a bit faded" yet STEFFY is quite pleasant in his response to Chris. I'm loathe to suggest there are any racial overtones in STEFFY's constant abusing of me, but as the situation drags on, I'm afraid I'm left with no choice but to think the worst of him.

It saddens me, it really does and I'm not sure that when STEFFY pens his much anticipated "I'm leaving the boards" thread, I'll be able to refrain from letting my true feelings be known

Thank You

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 12 Aug 2014, 5:03 pm

Kessler by arm bar

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Aug 2014, 5:30 pm

Stupid boy, Ward's got big arms...more likely to be an ankle lock

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 12 Aug 2014, 6:59 pm

Fool, that's illegal in the sport of boxing

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 12 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm

Andre Ward, divisional champion, best fighter at 168lbd by a country mile. 

He's already beaten Kessler once, easily. This time round, Kessler's there for the taking. 

Ward to make Kessler quit on the stood inside 8 rounds.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

Will Ward be allowed to head butt and grapple like Shirley Crabtree this time.

Prime Kessler > Prime Froch

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down