The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TNA - Breaking News - Perhaps?

+11
NickisBHAFC
dyrewolfe
Samo
Hero
Adam D
nadeem2099
Prometheus
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
Crimey
Paul Mac 6CW
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TNA - Breaking News - Perhaps? Empty TNA - Breaking News - Perhaps?

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Thu 21 May 2015, 5:27 pm

Unconfirmed news coming from the US that Destination America are about to cancel their deal with TNA - Although completely unsubstantiated at this point where would TNA go from what would be a huge setback so soon after the loss of the deal with Spike?

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

TNA - Breaking News - Perhaps? Empty Re: TNA - Breaking News - Perhaps?

Post by Crimey Thu 21 May 2015, 6:37 pm

I was thinking about this and the fact that apparently the main problem isn't that TNA doesn't draw, but that it simply isn't attractive enough to advertisers.

Where a committed and loyal fanbase but lack of advertising value might be attractive is that of an on-demand platform. I doubt Netflix would pick them up, but it wouldn't be out of the question that a lesser platform, such as Amazon Prime Video could pick them up and offer them on their on-demand service. This way they might get several thousand subscribers based purely on the fact that TNA still does have a solid fan base. With the tapings done in blocks, it might also allow the show to be put online in 4 episode blocks, given a unique spin on the presentation, as well as keeping within the fact that generally programs on the on-demand service aren't done as an episode a week.

I doubt it will happen but I think, if they haven't already, it's an avenue TNA and any on-demand platform should definitely a look at as I think wrestling is perfectly suited to it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 21 May 2015, 9:40 pm

Practically 24 hours on from the news, I think the fact that TNA / Destination America haven't come out with a firm rebuttal is interesting.

Crimey, I saw someone floating the same idea just before TNA's last TV deal. It made sense to me then, and it makes sense to me just as much now. As you say, the TV tapings fit the binging way that this type of product is put out and consumed by on-demand platforms. I don't have any inside knowledge, but I can only imagine that money from on-demand platforms for original content is still less freely available that from cable TV and therefore it is harder to make a deal that covers the costs associated with making the programming. But, its probably the best idea I've seen for them.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 May 2015, 9:58 pm

Well Netflix pay $500,000 just to replay each episode of Friends, I'm guessing a whole block of tapings for TNA costs a lot less than that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 21 May 2015, 9:59 pm

Lot of people have been hoping Netflix might pick up Lucha Underground, which would fit far more with their model due to its more series and episodic nature.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 21 May 2015, 10:12 pm

Crimey wrote:Well Netflix pay $500,000 just to replay each episode of Friends, I'm guessing a whole block of tapings for TNA costs a lot less than that.

Gulp! I know it is one of the most well-watched shows of all time, but that is a lot of money. I've seen values around 500-700 per episode for WWE and Lucha Underground. I would expect that TNA is coming in at about half those, maybe even a little less.

I think what the WWE Network is finding, which Neflix has already found, is that it is original programming that drives the subscriptions. I guess just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, it seems that when TNA moved from Spike to Destination America it wasn't followed by that many viewers (i.e. the number of people adding Destination America to their cable package didn't seem to increase so much), so how many people would pick up a Netflix subscription to follow it?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 21 May 2015, 10:40 pm

TNA issued the following statement regarding recent internet reports:

"It has come to our attention that several internet news sources have falsely attributed statements to TNA, its executives and broadcasting partner. These false statements constitute defamation and if necessary we will seek all legal remedies available to us."

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 21 May 2015, 10:45 pm

Yes, I saw that earlier Fernando. And the fact that it doesn't deny the news just says that statements have been falsely attributed seems to me to not be the statement I'd be making if there were no foundation in what Meltzer is saying.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 21 May 2015, 10:48 pm

I guess it's down to Destination America to deny it honestly. TNA can spout what they like until DA say anything it's all a guessing game.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 21 May 2015, 10:57 pm

Unless they think it will get a viewer bump because people will tune in to see what it is like before it goes, why wouldn't they say something if they are long term partners?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 8:51 am

Reports today that last week Dixie sent out an email calling Destination America execs dummies and cc'd the Destination America President (by mistake?).
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 22 May 2015, 12:44 pm

I heard it's mostly to do with ratings in America DA is supposedly not pleased with the ratings impact has been showing. It's not TNA's fault tbh, as DA puts them on at a very unrealistic time, Friday at primetime. Putting them on at that time and day and expecting instant viewership is crazy expectations from DA.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 12:52 pm

I think that most people seem to be happy with the story that it is because of ad revenue above ratings.

Obviously there is some link between the two, and if you believe the stories, then the story is that after Destination America made its intentions clear that they were planning to end the contract in September, the concession TNA got was a move of the night it is shown.

So, it appears that at least TNA believe that viewing figures is a factor and this is something they can change and therefore have DA reverse its thinking.

I'd tend to go with the ad revenue argument being the most important on the basis that:
1) Impact is the highest rated show on Destination America
2) People I know in America who'v seen Impact on Destination America have told me that the ads shown during the program aren't what you'd consider tier 1.

A further factor (as all these are linked even if their weighting may be different) that I've heard is that Impact has brought some viewers to Destination America, but once Impact is over they don't watch any other programming.

And then finally you have the rumours that the Destination America people are not enjoying working with Dixie and her team.

I would agree that most (or all) of these are all things DA should have foreseen. And maybe they did, maybe that is why they had a termination clause in the contract, because they thought it was worth a go, but saw factors that might cause this not to be a success.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 22 May 2015, 1:18 pm

Isn't Destination America a subscription channel? I think it's something like $40 per month. And as you said prometheus, no one watches any other show on it.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 1:26 pm

I don't think anyone is paying $40 for Destination America, its just part of a cable package that I think about half the homes in the US have. Its like the Discovery Channel's 4th channel, and for most wrestling fans I think when they heard TNA had landed there they had to go to their program guide to see if the channel was part of their package.

You've only got to look at their programming, its pretty much all Discovery type nature programs, then a load of ghost type programs. And in the middle of that Impact.

Other than Impact being available it is really hard to see why Destination America bought it.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 1:37 pm

By the way, I'm also quite convinced that Destination America are bonkers.

I mean, if I'm to believe one story, I may as well believe them all. And I think some time ago Adam was talking about how Destination America (who have an input to creative) didn't like TNA filming in the UK because that wasn't America. This despite the fact that those shows have the best crowds and therefore come over strongly on TV. Or Kurt Angle had to be the champion because he's American, rather than the fact that he's the best (and best known) wrestler on the roster.

I'd be pretty convinced that Destination America execs are the kind of Americans who carry a gun and have a shelter full of canned food in case their government ever declares war on them. But they also, unfortunately for TNA, carry the cash.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 22 May 2015, 1:43 pm

Well it was called "Planet Green" before being rebranded to DA Laugh TNA does feel out of place on the channel but I have no knowledge of American channels to think what other place TNA could go. TNA needs to be given time to gain new viewers. It's only been 5 months and there's cancellation rumours which I'm sure is not doing well with the wrestlers morale etc. The best case scenario is a network picks them up and makes TNA it's number one show and does not have unrealistic expectations.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 1:59 pm

But the big question is, who would pick them up?

It's kind of obvious that there weren't many channels lining up to take on Impact last year.  Because if there was then a) TNA would not have gone to DA where it was clear the number of viewers was going to significantly drop and b) once DA started dropping all the programs they promised to put alongside Impact, TNA would have been looking at what get-out clauses they had.

De facto, in 9 months, TNA is worth much less than it was a year ago, simply because the number of viewers has dropped by 50%.  

People will think I'm trolling, but if you watch the program it looks cheap.  And we know that a lot of cuts have had to be made because the DA contract was much less than Spike's.  You watch TNA and it is not anywhere near the same production class as WWE or Lucha Underground.  It is pretty much at the level of RoH.  I mean it is pretty much being run as an Indie show.  

And they've lost the better known names amongst wrestling fans, like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles.  And it really doesn't matter if these guys were working well in TNA, they are bigger names than ones you might argue are working better, like Bram or Gunner.  For the casual fan I think only Angle and the Hardys would have any name value and I kind of feel that a lot of fans would think of them as damaged goods.

So, I don't really know what TNA has to offer.  Some experience of running (mostly at a loss) a wrestling business for a decade or so.  500,000 viewers in the US.  A roster that has relatively little name value.  Some international TV deals (that we don't really know how much they are worth, but you'd guess one of their biggest markets is the UK and Challenge are running Bullseye re-runs around this).  What channel in their right mind would make this their number 1 show? Who'd invest in a company that, at that time, will have lost 2 TV deals in less than a year? That would take either a hell of a ballsy exec, or someone with more money than sense like Ted Turner.

And that is before we get into the whole debate of what does wrestling have to offer TV if advertisers run from it?

The more I think about it, the more I think that Crimey was right yesterday, go to an on-demand platform like Amazon.  Because maybe one of their most valuable assets right now is a back catalogue of shows with Angle, the Hardys, Sting, etc. in and they can continue to record and provide blocks of original content shows.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 22 May 2015, 2:07 pm

Although I am airing at 60/40 of it being possible, there is also the possibility that Meltzer is talking out of his @rse.

On demand platform would be ideal for someone like Netflix or Amazon. What value do they bring?

I would say that they have roughly 500k worth of viewers that will follow them wherever they go. If they get on a mainstream platform, I think this could easily double.

My guess is that push comes to shove, they will be on DA for the rest of the year.

A move to Wednesdays is going to increase viewers in my opinion. Maybe not to the million they had but I would reckon they increase to at least 600k on first viewing. Anything else would be a failure. 

The biggest crime in all of this is that our podcast schedule is put out of place by moving to a Wednesday!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 22 May 2015, 2:09 pm

I agree on the production aspect. Unless DA take their finger out and treat TNA as their flagship show and invest more in that department, things won't improve. TNA deserves more respect from them. One of the main selling points of TNA that made them stand out from their competitors was the 6 sided ring. That was a great concept. A bit underutilised but a great idea from TNA. I forgot why it was scrapped now. I think some of the wrestlers were saying it hurt more than a normal ring and couldn't handle the bumps
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 2:15 pm

I've heard it double sourced now Adam. And I guess that 2nd source could be Meltzer's too, but it didn't sound like it to me.

Also, I take the thunderous silence from TNA and DA to refute what Meltzer has said as something that puts me up at 90%.

The remaining 10% would be that there seems a slim opportunity that TNA can turn this around and reverse the decision, for which I'd say they have to make at least 650 or 700,000 viewers on first showing. Otherwise, I don't see them lasting the year, on the basis that the autumn schedule is a big thing in the US and DA will want to have its winter programming locked then.

What value do Netflix or Amazon bring? Money, like anyone else, they pay for the content, because I'm guessing all their overseas contracts put together wouldn't keep them going for long, so they lose US funding they lose everything. Plus, they also keep TNA as a better known brand that can then tour and run PPVs, sell merchandise, etc.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 22 May 2015, 2:18 pm

I actually think their model of block tapings would be ideal for a Netflix/Amazon Prime style subscription.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri 22 May 2015, 2:19 pm

TNA have released a statement ont he situation.

"It has come to our attention that several internet news sources have falsely attributed statements to TNA, its executives and broadcasting partner. These false statements constitute defamation and if necessary we will seek all legal remedies available to us"

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Yes Samo, Fernando put that same statement out earlier.

But it doesn't say that what Meltz is reporting is wrong. It says that statements are falsely attributed to TNA. If anything that makes me believe Dave more because why be so acute and not tackle the issue clearly and definitively head on?

Rather funnily I've seen people just quote the 2nd sentence, which does indeed read that what was published by the Wrestling Observer was wrong. But you have to read the two together.

And last year, I'm sure that Spike put something out when there were rumours? So why are DA quiet now, this is their most watched TV show, why would they not want to defend it if they were keeping it?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 22 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Prometheus wrote:I've heard it double sourced now Adam.  And I guess that 2nd source could be Meltzer's too, but it didn't sound like it to me.

Also, I take the thunderous silence from TNA and DA to refute what Meltzer has said as something that puts me up at 90%.

The remaining 10% would be that there seems a slim opportunity that TNA can turn this around and reverse the decision, for which I'd say they have to make at least 650 or 700,000 viewers on first showing.  Otherwise, I don't see them lasting the year, on the basis that the autumn schedule is a big thing in the US and DA will want to have its winter programming locked then.

What value do Netflix or Amazon bring?  Money, like anyone else, they pay for the content, because I'm guessing all their overseas contracts put together wouldn't keep them going for long, so they lose US funding they lose everything.  Plus, they also keep TNA as a better known brand that can then tour and run PPVs, sell merchandise, etc.
As noted, TNA issued the following statement this afternoon regarding the report: "It has come to our attention that several internet news sources have falsely attributed statements to TNA, its executives and broadcasting partner. These false statements constitute defamation and if necessary we will seek all legal remedies available to us."
- As noted, Billy Corgan knocked Meltzer's report earlier, writing, "It wouldn't be so bad if the whole truth was being reported and the person reporting wasn't being worked himself by a sloppy angle... AND let's remember that I speak from experience, having had things written about me by Meltzer that he never got a statement from me about"
Meltzer compared Corgan's response to that of Vince Russowhen Russo accidentally emailed creative instructions to Mike Johnson of PWInsider meant for Mike Tenay. Russo had been secretly working for TNA as a consultant, and tried to play off the email to Johnson as a work before finally admitting that he was working for TNA. 

(From Wrestling Inc)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 2:25 pm

nadeem2099 wrote:I agree on the production aspect. Unless DA take their finger out and treat TNA as their flagship show and invest more in that department, things won't improve. TNA deserves more respect from them. One of the main selling points of TNA that made them stand out from their competitors was the 6 sided ring. That was a great concept. A bit underutilised but a great idea from TNA. I forgot why it was scrapped now. I think some of the wrestlers were saying it hurt more than a normal ring and couldn't handle the bumps

The 6-sided ring came back about a year ago Very Happy

Put simply, I think that DA probably over-reached with what they are giving TNA already. Which is why they cut the peripheral shows and are trying to back out of this as quickly as possible. You are right, that you have 2 choices invest, or run. It seems very clear that DA is taking the latter approach, and they will say that as the ad revenue isn't coming in there is no money to invest.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 22 May 2015, 2:30 pm

nadeem2099 wrote:I agree on the production aspect. Unless DA take their finger out and treat TNA as their flagship show and invest more in that department, things won't improve. TNA deserves more respect from them. One of the main selling points of TNA that made them stand out from their competitors was the 6 sided ring. That was a great concept. A bit underutilised but a great idea from TNA. I forgot why it was scrapped now. I think some of the wrestlers were saying it hurt more than a normal ring and couldn't handle the bumps

Having more sides, means the ropes are shorter, therefore tighter and have less give...at least thats what I heard in one episode of Xplosion.

On the one hand its good for top rope jumps, but on the other, less good for wrestlers being thrown / kicked into them.

Now I think about it, thats probably why most of that stuff happens at the turnbuckles...at least those are padded.

Back on topic, sounds like more nail-biting times for TNA. I'm not sure I like it enough to take out a Netflix or Amazon subscription... Sad
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 2:40 pm

I've got to admit Adam, that while Billy Corgan came over as articulate and intelligent in his spoken interview, I have no idea what he is writing there.

"Worked by a sloppy angle".

Does this mean that someone (let's assume from within TNA) is leaking stuff that they know not to be true to Meltzer for him to publish so ultimately Meltzer will look stupid.

That's just daft as:
1) By the time September comes around if nothing happens, Meltzer will be onto the next news anyway. It's not going to bring him crashing down.
2) Even if this person has got a grudge against both Meltzer and TNA and so will say this, why are TNA and Destination America running with this angle? Why don't they both clearly and unambiguously come out and say that Destination America and TNA will both be working together at least until the end of this contract?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 22 May 2015, 2:44 pm

Prometheus wrote:

The 6-sided ring came back about a year ago Very Happy  
That came out wrong Laugh I was just going through some Austin Aries tweets on the subject of the 6 sided ring. It seems he was/isn't a big fan of it. A bit old though.
Spoiler:
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 22 May 2015, 2:46 pm

I thought it was a weird choice of words.

I actually believe (and this is based on the tweet by Billy) that they have threatened to cancel the show but TNA managed a stay of execution by moving to Wednesday nights where they could possibly get a bigger audience and hence bigger revenue.

If there is a get out clause for DA, you would assume that there would be a get out clause for TNA as well. It is likely that whatever crieteria were in the clauses (one assumes amount of airtime on TNAs side/ advertising and ad revenue/ viewership on DAs side) neither side is being fulfilled.

I reckon that DA borught up the clause. TNA fired back with the lack of promised air time (a big factor in them joining) and the compromise is a move to Wednesday.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Fri 22 May 2015, 3:02 pm

Right, thanks for being my Billy Corgan Babelfish Adam.

Using our "606 scale of believability" (Patent pending) I'd only be 70% on the reverse clauses in the contract. So, I'm not convinced that DA would be as tightly locked down as TNA, on the basis that I think they were the bigger player in negotiations and it was their contract. But, as you probably know most contracts have a degree of ambiguity in them and I'm sure there are enough lawyers in the US that could find what you wanted them to find on any piece of paper.

But I'd agree that as a minimum TNA has a chance to turn this around. However, unless something momentus occurs it is very hard to see how TNA would not be looking for a new TV partner for January '17, just be better for them if they are not having to do that for Sept '17.

I'm not sure if I'd have taken Wednesday. I wonder how many wrestling fans are tuning into NXT and then you also have to take off the 3 fans who are watching Lucha Underground. Honestly, Vince might say TNA is not competition, but if I were him I'd be straight on the phone to Hunter telling him to start planning some more specials.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri 22 May 2015, 4:05 pm

It seems NXT has become the promotion TNA always wanted to be, putting themselves up against arguably their biggest competition wasnt the smartest move. NXT is getting bigger and bigger while TNA continues to flounder, moving to wednesday night was a big mistake. Im not entirely certain about American sports schedules but wouldnt Tuesday or Thursday have been a better idea?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 22 May 2015, 4:26 pm

Wrestling Inc wrote:One of our writers noted earlier that the Voices of Wrestling podcast made some comments on their most recent show at the 40 minute mark about Dixie Carter and an errant email that was sent to a group of people. It was a story similar to the Mike Johnson - Vince Russo debacle that happened last year, whenRusso accidentally emailed creative instructions to Johnson meant for Mike Tenay. We don't report news or stories from podcasts that aren't from wrestlers or top names in the business, so I alerted the writer and deleted the article.
While I can't confirm or deny the podcast story, I spoke with a couple of wrestlers in TNA this morning and they hadn't heard anything about it. I was also told that the only thing they've heard recently from the company was that Dixie would be addressing the cancellation reports at the next set of TV tapings in June.
It should be noted that Dave Meltzer stated in a tweet in response to Billy Corgan that he had documentation on a story that was similar to the Johnson - Russo one. Corgan had initially knocked Meltzer's report about Destination America cancelling TNA and Meltzer compared Corgan's response to that of Russo when the email story happened. Corgan replied, "For your info I did read your highly irresponsible piece. And as much as I love Vinny Ru this is a different situation."

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 22 May 2015, 4:28 pm

To be fair, I would question how many watch NXT live anyway. The specials maybe, but I imagine most watch it on demand, meaning it's not really that relevant when it's shown for TNA.

Also whilst I suggested it and I do think it'd be a good idea, I think there is zero chance that TNA would be picked up by Amazon or Netflix.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 22 May 2015, 6:03 pm

TNA are a complete joke. How people can even slight compare them to WWE is beyond me, it's not even on ROH or NJPW standard anymore.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 22 May 2015, 6:16 pm

With all due respect, do you know what ROH or NJPW standards are?

Corgan sounds to me like he's already got the TNA bug; ambiguous arguments and defensive stance from the off. Taking on Meltzer, who has no stance really, by labelling his articles "highly irresponsible" (love to hear him explain that) is making himself the victim of something. A professional and courteous rebuttal would be fine. Not that I'm surprised he likes "Vinny Ru" - they probably came up with the stories together. In fact, it points to him having some involvement still.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 25 May 2015, 10:15 am

So, if Destination America go through with what has been reported, TNA is not being cancelled, its just not being renewed part way through its 2 year contract. That feels just a bit like being told you are not dumped, you are just not dating or seeing the person any more. It is pretty much the same thing to all intents and purposes.

Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 25 May 2015, 2:06 pm

More TNA stuff is trickling through.

- Destination America have not cancelled TNA, they have reportedly given them a warning to improve ratings or DA will have no choice but to remove them from programming.

- It is about ratings, although advertisement probably plays a part in this. I am surprised that ratings are the issue considering it is the highest rated segment DA have. It must be more expensive than their usual programming and they must have been accepting a much bigger group to move over from Spike. Maybe the move to Wednesday will improve the ratings.

- Reportedly, the people inside DA are basically treating TNA as done. That TNA won't last the year on the Network and that it has been a failed experiment. It's up to TNA to prove them wrong at this point.

- Also DA were furious that what was supposed to be a secret is leaking through. They're refusing to comment because of contracts that exist. (Same reason Spike never said anything.) 

- TNA are still working with DA, they still have meetings etc. but DA's faith in TNA is seriously waning and TNA are in a poor position with management and need to start getting some serious hikes in ratings.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 25 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Who is that from Crimey?

If you say Meltzer, you are banned!

So Meltzer has been proven to be unreliable again? Shocker!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 25 May 2015, 2:42 pm

Adam D wrote:Who is that from Crimey?

If you say Meltzer, you are banned!

(hoping Crimey says Bryan Alvarez)
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Mon 25 May 2015, 10:33 pm

I don't think it says a lot for Destination America's commitment to the TNA product that they basically told TNA, don't bother sending us a new show for Memorial Day weekend, we'll stick on last year's Slammiversary. So, the US got a repeat of a year old PPV while the RoW got a new show, which was watchable. It will be interesting to see the numbers for next week's May Mayhem show, which has a cage match and an I quit match.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 25 May 2015, 11:31 pm

Prometheus wrote:I don't think it says a lot for Destination America's commitment to the TNA product that they basically told TNA, don't bother sending us a new show for Memorial Day weekend, we'll stick on last year's Slammiversary.  So, the US got a repeat of a year old PPV while the RoW got a new show, which was watchable.  It will be inteyresting to see the numbers for next week's May Mayhem show, which has a cage match and an I quit match.

Is that between Destination America and the general viewing public?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 26 May 2015, 10:48 am

Hero wrote:
Prometheus wrote:I don't think it says a lot for Destination America's commitment to the TNA product that they basically told TNA, don't bother sending us a new show for Memorial Day weekend, we'll stick on last year's Slammiversary.  So, the US got a repeat of a year old PPV while the RoW got a new show, which was watchable.  It will be inteyresting to see the numbers for next week's May Mayhem show, which has a cage match and an I quit match.

<snigger>

I didn't watch the previous week's show, but this didn't have any of the more Attitude-Era stuff. (Though I mostly had it on in the background, so I may have missed stuff). It was mostly a wrestling show, with nothing really to write home about, but also nothing to jump down the production's throat about. I mean there was stupid stuff, no-one seems to either get or in any way like Crazy Steve, there was a silly spot in the Magnus match and commentary has to put more heat on their heel when he cheats to win, but it was okay. Unfortunately for Impact's viewing figures, if I were to recommend a wrestling show to anyone WWE, NXT, LU & NJPW have all put out shows in the last week or so that are IMO much, much stronger than this offering.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 26 May 2015, 11:02 am

Prometheus wrote:
Hero wrote:

<snigger>  

I didn't watch the previous week's show, but this didn't have any of the more Attitude-Era stuff.  (Though I mostly had it on in the background, so I may have missed stuff).  It was mostly a wrestling show, with nothing really to write home about, but also nothing to jump down the production's throat about.  I mean there was stupid stuff, no-one seems to either get or in any way like Crazy Steve, there was a silly spot in the Magnus match and commentary has to put more heat on their heel when he cheats to win, but it was okay.  Unfortunately for Impact's viewing figures, if I were to recommend a wrestling show to anyone WWE, NXT, LU & NJPW have all put out shows in the last week or so that are IMO much, much stronger than this offering.
It didnt air in America!
Only the international audience got this weeks show. In the states, they aired a rerun of last years Slammiversary.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 26 May 2015, 11:12 am

Adam D wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
Hero wrote:

<snigger>  

I didn't watch the previous week's show, but this didn't have any of the more Attitude-Era stuff.  (Though I mostly had it on in the background, so I may have missed stuff).  It was mostly a wrestling show, with nothing really to write home about, but also nothing to jump down the production's throat about.  I mean there was stupid stuff, no-one seems to either get or in any way like Crazy Steve, there was a silly spot in the Magnus match and commentary has to put more heat on their heel when he cheats to win, but it was okay.  Unfortunately for Impact's viewing figures, if I were to recommend a wrestling show to anyone WWE, NXT, LU & NJPW have all put out shows in the last week or so that are IMO much, much stronger than this offering.
It didnt air in America!
Only the international audience got this weeks show. In the states, they aired a rerun of last years Slammiversary.

Yes, we know that.

When I first heard that DA were not showing a new Impact show this week, I just assumed everyone would skip a week. Doesn't it feel pretty odd that a show was in the can and ready to air, but Destination America decided to re-run last year's PPV in its place?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 26 May 2015, 11:18 am

That is all kinds of odd, I know Adam thinks Cheese Meltzer is a troublemaker and makes up stuff but imagine any other channel deciding to just not air that weeks show and instead just air a special from a year before.

BBC announcer: We've decided to not bother with tonight's episode of Eastenders, instead we'll show that episode when Den got killed as people watched that one.

Just not happening.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 26 May 2015, 11:21 am

Hero wrote:That is all kinds of odd, I know Adam thinks Cheese Meltzer is a troublemaker and makes up stuff but imagine any other channel deciding to just not air that weeks show and instead just air a special from a year before.

BBC announcer: We've decided to not bother with tonight's episode of Eastenders, instead we'll show that episode when Den got killed as people watched that one.

Just not happening.
They claim that is due to Memorial Day weekend that no one would be watching.

As you say, its incredibly odd, unless they are planning on airing it say on Wednesday ahead of next weeks Friday show. No defence of it to be honest.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 26 May 2015, 11:47 am

Adam D wrote:
Hero wrote:That is all kinds of odd, I know Adam thinks Cheese Meltzer is a troublemaker and makes up stuff but imagine any other channel deciding to just not air that weeks show and instead just air a special from a year before.

Just not happening.
They claim that is due to Memorial Day weekend that no one would be watching.

As you say, its incredibly odd, unless they are planning on airing it say on Wednesday ahead of next weeks Friday show. No defence of it to be honest.

Apparently there is the final of the BBQ Pitmasters Grand Championship scheduled for Wednesday. Then Impact switches to the Wednesday night slot next week. (And somewhere in there is a stick a fork in it, it's done BBQ joke).
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 26 May 2015, 11:58 am

wrestleinc wrote:There has been talk at TNA headquarters that Discovery, which is the parent company of Destination America, is planning to use their channels to give a big push to TNA ImpactWrestling moving to Wednesdays over the next several weeks.
- There is some frustration among the TNA production team as they're not looking forward to taping the post-Slammiversary episodes before Slammiversary even airs. To recap, TNA changed their taping schedule due to the timeslot change and will now air a live Impact Wrestling on Wednesday, June 24th with tapings on June 25th, June 26th and June 27th. The Slammiversary pay-per-view takes place on Sunday, June 28th.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 26 May 2015, 12:03 pm

It's a bit upside down, isn't it? Because unless the TV tapings don't mention any titles or they only film those slots in the back, rather than in front of the audience, odds are that any title changes or other big news that is scheduled to happen at Slammiversary will already have leaked out via the TV taping before the PPV.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next