The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final

+9
Jahu
reckoner
lydian
sirfredperry
kingraf
Josiah Maiestas
bogbrush
The Special Juan
lags72
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final - Page 2 Empty Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Well here we are. 128 ladies at the start and now we are down to the final 2.

Canada's new star Eugenie Bouchard takes on former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova.

Also we have Men's and Ladies Doubles today with the Bryans v Sock/Pospisil and Vinci/Errani v Bobas/Mladenovic.

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final

Post by mthierry Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Would anyone be able to do anything against THIS Kvitova??

Serena and Sharapova would. Their court presence alone is inimidating enough.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:05 pm

I don't think Sharapova's good enough to do that. Azarenka might though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Best final performance ever?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Good lesson for young Bouchard. Better luck next time.

Kvitova was marvellous. clap clap

Roof closing? Doh Dress Change, perhaps.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:12 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I don't think Sharapova's good enough to do that.  Azarenka might though.
Grass is Azarenka's worst surface. Sharapova is more than good enough to do it. Since she got beaten by Kvitova some years back n the Wimby final, she has dominated their encounters and can outhit her.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:13 pm

From what I saw, Kvitova played very very well but Bouchard needs to sort out that first serve percentage in big games, it completely undermined her own chances. Most first time finalists can get tight, and at age 19 it's not embarrassing. She'll win slams and te health of women's tennis is far better than I thought it would be a couple of years ago
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 pm

I can't imagine the hype had Bouchard won this. Probably unbearable media saturation. I'm happy for Petra though. Great tennis. And she deserves it after so much struggles in recent years.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Wimbledon Day 12 - Ladies Final - Page 2 11v6yol

Since the canadian babe lost, you are all welcome on some canadian trout.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 pm

mthierry wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:I don't think Sharapova's good enough to do that.  Azarenka might though.
Grass is Azarenka's worst surface. Sharapova is more than good enough to do it. Since she got beaten by Kvitova some years back n the Wimby final, she has dominated their encounters and can outhit her.

But could she handle her playing like that? Sharapova's poor movement would be exploited I think. But who knows?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Sharapova's serve would have been exploited certainly
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Wow did I get that wrong or what. Unbelievable ball striking from K-Hit-ova. Worthy winner and you wonder why she hasn't won more slams with that kind of talent. I still like Eugenie though, lol Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Whoa that was as good of good hiding that I have seen on tennis court in final for a while. Well played Petra! clap

Eugenie is still fit! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Thing is Bouchard didn't really put any pressure on Kvitova today. Sharapova (except when getting mullered by Serena) would never be that easy to shake off. She'll put more pressure on Kvitova's serve, put more pressure in the rallies and look to intimidate with that steel and court presence and ice queen charisma she has. Never been a fan of Sharapova but she can be a real scary personality on court.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Don't think it would have made much if any difference today, Kvitova was in the zone and mullering everything. Eugenic was serving as quick as Sharapova averages but is a quicker mover...Petra was simply too strong and no woman bar Serena in her prime could have lived with that. Hats off.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:42 pm

lydian wrote:Don't think it would have made much if any difference today, Kvitova was in the zone and mullering everything. Eugenic was serving as quick as Sharapova averages but is a quicker mover...Petra was simply too strong and no woman bar Serena in her prime could have lived with that. Hats off.
Exactly how I saw it. Poor Bouch  Hug 
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Fair enough. I think the technical and physical level Kvitova was playing at would be hard to stop. But if you're under the kind of mental pressure Serena and Maria can exert out there, finding your best tennis can be tricky.

This also shows how well Venus was playing in this tournament. She came close to beating Petra. I still believe Venus is the best since Graf on this surface. Even ahead of Serena.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Best I've seen from Kvitova. I think she'll be disappointed if she doesn't win a few Wimbledons from now on. Praps a defeat here was actually a good thing for Bouchard. The attention would have been incredible on her had she won.
  Back to the roof opening. They got away with it...just. It was bucketing down almost as soon as the match - just 55 minutes remember - was closed. No doubt they'll man sausage it up again tomorrow. Scheduling decisions have been cr*p this year. Stan might have beaten Fed if he hadn't been so knackered.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Bet Eugenie wished that was a 5-setter.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:40 pm

mthierry wrote:I liked Bouchard, but the media hysteria has somewhat put me off. I get it - she's a pretty, blonde commercial dream who was named after a princess and likes stuffed animals. Can I hear a little bit more about other players too?

And she likes Justin Beiber!!!!

Is this true?  mad 

Ah well now I can curse her with a clear conscience.

ghost 

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Well that was quite the dominant display. Congrats to Kvitova, seems she was unplayable today.

sirfredperry wrote:Best I've seen from Kvitova. I think she'll be disappointed if she doesn't win a few Wimbledons from now on. Praps a defeat here was actually a good thing for Bouchard. The attention would have been incredible on her had she won.
  Back to the roof opening. They got away with it...just. It was bucketing down almost as soon as the match - just 55 minutes remember - was closed. No doubt they'll man sausage it up again tomorrow. Scheduling decisions have been cr*p this year. Stan might have beaten Fed if he hadn't been so knackered.

I do love the v2 censor sometimes  Laugh 

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Bouchard had no length on her returns most of the time. When she did, Kvitoa was at sea.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Genie no doubt in need of comforting.

There's a thought.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:05 pm

...or three.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 pm

LF, I agree. From what I saw , Kvitova was dominant and playing very well but only because Genie let her as she was struggling with both her serve and initial return. When Genie allowed herself to get on the front foot at all, she was winning the points. At the end of the first set and start of the second it looked like genie was getting about 25% first serves in if that (and every second serve was brutally attacked) but winning 100% of the points on her first serve
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Pospisil/Sock d Bryans in the fifth set 7-5. What a match!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Did you see much of it, LF? Brilliant match, so tense.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:53 pm

laverfan wrote:Pospisil/Sock d Bryans in the fifth set 7-5. What a match!

Oh that's just wonderful! Did they play on CC? They've probably ruined it for tomorrow's final  mad 

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 pm

emancipator wrote:
laverfan wrote:Pospisil/Sock d Bryans in the fifth set 7-5. What a match!

Oh that's just wonderful! Did they play on CC? They've probably ruined it for tomorrow's final  mad 

Yes, they played on CC, emanci. They did not ruin it that badly. Hug 

Federer has a lot of experience in Finals. He knows how to handle it. Good luck to both warriors for tomorrow.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Silver wrote:Did you see much of it, LF? Brilliant match, so tense.

It was a good match. I enjoyed it.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2