The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin?

+7
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
Gentleman01
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
Dipper Brown
catchweight
11 posters

Go down

Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin? Empty Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin?

Post by catchweight Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:53 am

Assuming Golovkin gets through Geale, could this fight happen? Cotto is a big draw in New York and Golovkin has been steadily building his career there as well. This would be a huge fight I think. The spanner in the works is Alvarez and possibly Mayweather who I think are the only two names that would generate more money. But the flip side is they would be demanding the big end of the purse. Golovkin could be bargained down to allow Cotto take the majority of the earnings. I think Cotto is at the stage of his career where he just wants big fights. Im not sure he will want to defend away against the Macklins and Geales. It looks like Mayweather will probably move on a Maidana rematch. So could Cotto be tempted to take the big money clash with Golovkin?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin? Empty Re: Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin?

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:59 am

I don't think so. Think there are bigger names in more winnable fights. GGG is a huge ask for Cotto and I don't see him trying to unify the middleweight division. I don't really blame Cotto as he's only had one fight at the weight and has a potential massive showdown with bigger names at *shudder* catchweights.

It's harsh on GGG but that's the way I see it. He's probably better off stepping up a division.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin? Empty Re: Will Cotto be tempted to face Golovkin?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:00 am

Martinez moaned that Cotto was a diva with the requests he made for the fight.......Monetary, Choice of corner color, name read out second among others...

Martinez was also a pretty big name, quite popular and a top p4per.....

Heaven knows what GGG will have to agree to........

He'll have to view the fight as a loss leader to a certain extent...To get it me thinks.......But it may well be worth it..

After all can't see Cotto winning..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:01 am

No, Cotto knows Martinez wasn't at his best and more importantly Roach knows Cotto's limitations and he's is unlikely to put him in in with Golovkin when there's the chance at a big money fight with Mayweather and the chance for Freddie to finally get one over on Floyd. Freddie believes Mayweather's legs have gone and I believe he'd be happy to put Cotto back in there whereas I think he's smart enough to sidestep Golovkin until it becomes absolutely unavoidable

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

The only bigger names out there for Cotto financially that I would see would be Mayweather and Alvarez. Mayweather looks like he is going to rematch Maidana. Alvarez I would consider to be top of Cottos list but he has a tough fight with Lara coming up. Golovkin would beat Cottos ass I think but it would earn Cotto big bucks. Alvarez would be more winnable, but he would be getting less of a share to make it happen. And its still a risk for him.
I think Golovkin faces the same problems if he moves up a weight class. He had Chavez ditch a fight with him at the last minute. A couple of years ago Froch might have had the balls to face him but now it looks like he has one eye and one foot in retirement and wants to sign out with a relatively easy but lucrative fight. Outside of that there is Andre Ward who doesn’t much seem to care about fighting anyone except for Chavez or Froch because he can piggy back off their financial draw and knows he whips them both.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:13 am

Depends how much Cotto values his new belt. I seriously doubt he cares about establishing himself as the undisputed best middleweight (why should he? He's a welterweight). I think he'll take the names, Canelo, Mayweather over the belt. The titles have become so devalued lately I don't blame him.

I think he'd make more and stand a better chance of winning as the B side to Floyd/Canelo than the A side of GGG. Where does he go if he suffers a bad stoppage against GGG? If takes Mayweather's 0 or beats Canelo, his stock will never have been higher.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

I will say my absolute nightmare scenario is Floyd and Cotto fighting at a 155/6 catchweight, Floyd winning and calling himself middleweight champion of the world. Wouldn't be able to handle the TBE spin.

As much as I like Cotto, I think I'd rather see him fed to GGG.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm

I may be the only one but whether or not Martinez was shot or not....Cotto looked damn sharp and powerful in that fight.

It wasn't through Sergio's knees that he got whacked in the head with a left hook in the first minute that had him all over the place. He just got hit with a very quick and powerful shot and couldn't recover....the knees just don't help.

If GGG sells out the arena, which according to reports seem the case, then they could do very well at the gate if they met.

After all, it would be a unification fight against an undefeated banger who many rate highly.

Cotton could be tempted.

Either that or he goes back to LMW for a fight with Canelo (if he beats Lara).

The bottom line is that cotto has a few good options out there although he should avoid a catchweight fight with Bradley as that's pointless.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm

I agree mm8. I thought Cotto looked fantastic, really sharp! I think a lot of people who said he had no chance against Martinez backed themselves into a corner and have been banging the 'Cotto beat a shot fighter' drum ever since.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm

Cotto won't face Golovkin. He did look good against Martinez, but Sergio is a fairly small Middleweight and although Martinez has decent power, he isn't the destructive puncher that GGG is.

Cotto is in a great position for winnable money fights (Alvarez, FMJ, Bradley, etc.) I would be shocked if he opted to take on Golovkin. Cotto's a top fighter and a favourite of mine, but he's not a natural MW. Golovkin would demolish him at this stage of his career. Cotto would need a HUGE purse to make it worth his while.

Once GGG has beaten Geale (assuming he does, of course) then does anyone think a Froch fight at 168lbs could be a possibility? Froch openly wants to headline in Vegas, but there are seemingly no big-name opponents for him to fight there. Nobody wants to see a Ward rematch so he's thin on the ground for Vegas-worthy opponents. I don't know what Golovkin's profile is like out in the states, so I'm not sure if he too falls in to this category. However, Froch has a decent profile out there now and so, if GGG is well known enough, could this be a possibility?

It certainly has the makings of a very entertaining fight.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:21 pm

Agree with your assesment of where Cotto's future lies.

Also a GGG Froch showdown at 168 would be something!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:39 pm

Cotto would take the fight but I'm not sure his management would be keen, especially when there are more lucrative options available to him in the shape of Alvarez or Mayweather.

Golovkin graduates from MSG's Theatre to the full venue against Geale (and is likely to become the only fighter -- other than Cotto -- to fill it). Hopefully he shouldn't have to wait much longer for a genuine championship shot.

Last edited by hazharrison on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm

Poor old Salvador Sanchez never did get a genuine title shot......RIP...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

Yeah he did: Sal' was the man '80 to '82 after whacking "Little Red".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:55 pm

Only after Sanchez did the great Pedroza become the Man then..???

Gomez and Nelson never won the genuine Feather title then !!..

Shame..Since both were better than Stevie cruz..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm

Yep, if you're looking at the lineage. The alphabets weren't half as bad back then mind you. They're not even worth considering these days -- carnage.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm

I admire your stance...........

But not for me....

Nelson was the best feather and a true champion for me Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

Similar scenario to GGG and Martinez/Cotto. McGuigan was the champion but many would have picked Nelson over him.

Pedroza was deemed the linear champ throughout Nelson's first few years as title-holder.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm

Sanchez was the man when he won the title Truss, Lopez's fight with Castanon was for the lineal/ring title, Pedroza was elevated to full champion after Sanchez died which in fairness was a bit of a joke.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:45 pm

Look what you've done again Trussman! Hijacked a modern day thread to compare it to the classic civil wartime bout between 'Gentleman' Jim Moonshine and Tony 'Crazy Horse' Johnson!!! Why I outta!!!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:49 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Sanchez was the man when he won the title Truss, Lopez's fight with Castanon was for the lineal/ring title, Pedroza was elevated to full champion after Sanchez died which in fairness was a bit of a joke.

Why? He'd just beaten the alternative titlist (La Porte).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 04 Jul 2014, 2:57 pm

I'd prefer to see someone win the lineal title in the ring Haz rather than be awarded it because the true champion died and somebody they'd both beaten had picked up a belt.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 04 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm

Sanchez died, leaving Pedroza and LaPorte atop the division. Pedroza had beaten LaPorte just months prior.

If Kovalev beat Hopkins and Stevenson retired a few months later, wouldn't Kovalev be deemed top man?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 04 Jul 2014, 3:10 pm

Regardless Haz I prefer to see titles won inside the ring not awarded for things that have outside the realm of boxing, unfortunate as it was Pedroza should at least have needed to beat Gomez to cement top spot.

Kovalev would be the number one in that situation but I wouldn't regard him as the man no.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 04 Jul 2014, 3:29 pm

Considering GBP and TR are now singing from the same hymn sheet, I'd think they'd want it to be Cotto-Alvarez in Vegas.

Assuming Alvarez gets passed Lara, which he won't.

Therefore Oscar can try and goad Mayweather into an Alvarez rematch for the middleweight championship.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm

No I can't see it unless Cotto really struggles to find an opponent which I really can't see

GGG is not as good as Mayweather, but if you give him the options of Floyd, GGG and Canelo you'd say GGG is the hardest opponent for floyd and canelo the easiest, and gg is probably the lowest purse despite cotto getting the lion share of the purse

Cotto looked great against Martinez, but he could hurt Sergio and sergio was battle worn. GGG isn't young but he's fresh and can walk through cotto's best punches. Cotto is tough enough but can't see him taking too many before he crumbles. Even shots to the arm will wear him down and he hasn't the stamina to dance around GGG for 12

Suicide opponent and I can't see it happening

Canelo is like a 154 version of ggg who has poorer stamina and more fans, easily the best opponent for Cotto if he beats lara which in itself might not happen, chances are lara does beat canelo

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 05 Jul 2014, 10:15 am

Cotto v Martinez did 350,000 ppv buys. GGG will sell even less, cotto was selling 600-800,000 when tangling with margarito. Cotto is a big seller, but he needs a recognisable partner to get the Mexican buysers out with the Puerto Rican, Canelo sells, mayweather sells, pacman. Martinez didn't and it's doubtful ggg does.

Regardless of the ins and outs ggg v cotto won't make financial sense to cotto's team or the networks. The only person the fight makes financial sense to is ggg. There was a point 5 years ago that cotto would have sold regardless (much like Canelo), thus we had a clottey fight, margarito 1. Cotto recent numbers show that isn't the case, buys for the Martinez fight I'd guess would have burned a few fingers. I can't see a GGG fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 05 Jul 2014, 10:23 am

When you think about the lazy marketing for the Martinez fight. Knowing that Americans of Mexican heritage are the big market for boxing ppv's, push Martinez as a Latino star. "Hey he's just like you guys, Argentina / Mexico, what's the difference? Sheet you support that Irish guy and he looks nothing like you"

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 08 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

No.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down