The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player?

+18
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
No 7&1/2
Geordie
socal1976
Mat
Crimey
J.Benson II
skyeman
Gregers
compelling and rich
Hammersmith harrier
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
nasisillmatic
GSC
Stella
Dolphin Ziggler
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player? Empty Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 10:31 am

In becoming Louis Van Gaal's Assistant Manager in this new Manchester United side, Giggs has also announced his retirement. The Winger who was running down the wing became the midfielder tearing teams open with beautiful passes. 40 years old, a mass amount of medals and one of the sweetest left foots this league will ever see. Is there really anyone else who can compare to Ryan Giggs in the Premier League era?

Wonderful goals, variation in play, medals, longevity, grace and, most important, talent in abundance; can anyone really compare? Sure Henry was world class in his spell, sure Ronaldo was arguably the best player in the world at one point, Shearer may have bagged a lot of goals...but have any been Ryan Giggs?

And where does he list in the United greats of all time? Arguably the symbol of everything that worked for United, and then seeing him marginalised in the year United were their worst.

Debate the above and talk about the wonderful moments of one of the greats. The last true great for those of us who grew up with the Premier League era.

Giggs' Open Letter to the fans:

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player? Empty Re: Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player?

Post by Stella Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 am

Maybe thanks to longevity, but he was only top class for a short period imo. Remember some Utd fans wanted him out of the team around 2004 time. For me at his peak, Pires was better on the left.
A classy player who was a role model on the pitch.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player? Empty Re: Ryan Giggs Retires - The Premier League's Greatest Player?

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 11:47 am

I agree with Stella tbh, Great career, good player. I have Henry personally, Ronaldo probably the most dominant player but left just before his peak.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon May 19, 2014 11:52 am

I agree with both above. More renowned for longevity than being the greatest player.

Ronaldo & Henry where much better players.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 pm

At peak, but I dont think Henry has shown he could be effective anywhere near as long, nor were either as all round a good player as Giggs. Pires on peak was no way better than peak Giggs for me. Depends how long you think that period of class was. He was incredible when he burst onto the scene and then was integral for years.

If he was English we'd be arguing whether he was the best English player of all time.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon May 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Giggs is 100% without question the greatest player to play in that league.

Biggest legend. Im not an United fan in the slightest but i am buzzing he is staying on next season as assistant manager.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Giggs is 100% without question the greatest player to play in that league.

Someone's got carried away with this retirement. Never the greatest player to ever play in this league. Headsgone.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Someone who can boss a game of football at the age of 37, in the best league in the world. I think wins it.

Every year since he started he has been class. The only 2 players i would say are better than him maybe are Ronaldo and Bale. No one else though.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Henry has as many team of the year awards and 1 more player of the year award (and lets face it, Giggs' was a lifetime achievement award after Torres went balls deep on Vidic)

Last edited by GSC on Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I still can't get over that Giggs player of the year award. Absolute nonsense that year. Shocking decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm

He started like 12 games that season!
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 12:35 pm

In fact to be honest give me Scholes over Giggs
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Lets face great servant to our club but never the best player to play in the league

The fact that he could change a United performance even into his late 30s speaks louder about the state of the United team than it does about him. Dont get me wrong he was an immense talent but I think to call him the best the league has seen may be getting carried away in the occasion of his retirement a bit

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon May 19, 2014 12:42 pm

GSC wrote:Henry has as many team of the year awards and 1 more player of the year award (and lets face it, Giggs' was a lifetime achievement award after Torres went balls deep on Vidic)

Henry over Giggs?

Lets not be silly. Henry is a legend don't get me wrong and probably the best striker the Prem has ever seen but he isn't/wasn't as good as Giggs, Ronaldo and Bale.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 pm

You can't count longetivity heavily for Giggs then ignore it for Bale and Ronaldo.

Said Ronaldo was the most dominant player but left just as he was hitting his peak
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon May 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Great player, but nowhere near the best player in the league.

Ronaldo, Henry, Bergkamp, Cantona, Pires all much better players off the top of my head.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 12:58 pm

I think he is the greatest player due to his longevity. It has to be factored. You'd be daft not to suggest it. A very high peak and then quite a high level shown across over years makes it so.

Its easier when you're remembered for a flash of your best then go away. I don't think Henry, Bale or Ronaldo hit that pass to RVP at Upton Park last year in the dying moments. At 39 they'll be retired, let alone do that. Henry was a busted flush when he came back on loan for Arsenal.

He'd be my pick.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon May 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Henry not as good as Bale? Laugh

Oh dear. The former player, leading light of one of the Premier League's greatest ever teams for a few seasons, was far superior to the one-and-a-half-season wonder in Gareth Bale.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 1:05 pm

I don't judge a player on whether they're still decent at 39. Henry had a sustained period of dominance where he was better than Giggs ever was. Giggs was by no means ordinary, but I don't buy a case that boils down to lasting better over being better.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I think longevity should be rewarded on the scale. I think his impact has certainly been more than Henry's. Henry had 2 or 3 years where he was the best player in the world, but I think Giggs has been better across his career than Henry. More successful, a better start and finish. A better all round footballer too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Better footballer than Henry. C'mon man.

You need longetivity and talent. Talent more important, Giggs doesn't measure up to the absolute best in that regard.

As for successful, Footballs a team sport. Do we count Giggs never going to a World Cup against him while Henry has 1.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Its not the Premier League so I wouldnt consider it, no.

And yes, I do think hes a better all round footballer than Henry. I think the way hes played over the years, not only in different positions but different roles, shows his all around game is more accomplished.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm

I wouldn't so readily dismiss his longevity as a factor in this, he bossed both games against Chelsea in the 2010/2011 champions league, creating all three goals. In that competition that year he went through a phase when he assisted 6 consecutive goals and that was at the age of 37.

What he was able to do in his late 30's can't be ignored and players who perhaps performed at a higher level for a couple of seasons should also be evaluated for their whole tenure.

Another thing to factor in is that he was part of the divisions greatest midfield without a shadow of a doubt and the four were often seen as a collective rather than for their individual brilliance. The goals from midfield were spread across the four of them as were the assists, it wasn't as if we were relying on one of them season after season to do it. When you have no single focal point then statistics do get watered down.

As for peak for peak Pires being better, do me a favour there's just no comparison.

For me Cantona will always be the greatest ever premier league player and I doubt my opinion will ever change on that, his impact on us taking that initial step into league dominance will never be surpassed or equalled.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Nice sidestep.

Henry played wide at times too, as well as through the middle. Also transitioned to a lone striker role.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm not sure Henry playing a bit wide and then the same position but alone counts the same

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon May 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Giggs was better than Henry? Dear me.

There can not be any legitimate comparision between the two.

Henry, along with Ronaldo and Bergkamp, was one of the greatest technical players to have ever played in the Premier League, and was world-class.

Giggs rarely, if ever, reached such status.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon May 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Ronaldo as brilliant as he was and is does not belong in the same sentence as Bergkamp when we're talking about technical players, he's somebody who relies on his pace, power and aerial ability.

Duty you're probably a bit young to remember the 90's but Giggs was certainly world class between 95-02.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm

longevity goes a long way when deciding who has been the greatest premiership player of all time, and thats because it is the hardest thing to achieve

was giggs as good as ronaldo when both on thier best form its a clear no, but has he achieved more, won more, contributed more in the premiership than ronaldo? all are a clear yes. and same arguments go with the likes of henry etc

i dont think we will ever see a similar contribution to the premiership than what giggs achieved at united. its not only massive longevity that does it for him but also how consistent he was for nearly all the time he was there. there wasnt many seasons that giggs wouldn't have been pushing into a team of the year in nearly all the years he played. he had a small dip when his legs started to go, but even more to his credit he readjusted and adapted the way he played and was still a top top class player afterwards.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon May 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Its an odd feeling that next season will be the first since I was born that giggs won't play. I was born in 1991 which makes that fact incredible

Best player in prem era? Not a chance though

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 1:40 pm

yeah people have very short memories if they didnt think giggs was world class, there wasnt a better left winger in the game throughout the 90's, the likes of figo only really started hitting his best form in the 2000's

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Have to be picky here but there is a distinction between best and greatest, they don't mean the same thing, was Giggs the best? No. Was he the greatest? Possibly.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Have to be picky here but there is a distinction between best and greatest, they don't mean the same thing, was Giggs the best? No. Was he the greatest? Possibly.

agreed there is a difference between being the best and greatest. if nadal retired tomorrow people could claim he was the best on his day but they couldn't say he was the greatest when people have achieved more than him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm

compelling and rich wrote:yeah people have very short memories if they didnt think giggs was world class, there wasnt a better left winger in the game throughout the 90's, the likes of figo only really started hitting his best form in the 2000's

Inter Milan were the money men of the late 90's and early 00's, part of folklore that in 99 Fergie said that Inter have better players than us but we're a better and Juventus are a better team than us but we have better players. Re diverting from that tangent and to my point, it won't mean much now without the context of being around in 2002 but Inter Milan trying to move hell and high water to sign Giggs is a good indicator of how good he was.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 2:01 pm

I would be happy to call Henry the best and Giggs the greatest

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 2:08 pm

the best player ive seen i would have to say ronaldo but the greatest team in prem history would have to be something like:

-------------schmeichel--------------
g.nev-----rio-------terry---cole------
gerrad----lampard---scholes------giggs
----------henry----shearer-----------

plenty of people who were better on there day that could go in ala ronaldo, but these lot have had some of the greatest careers the prem has seen

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon May 19, 2014 3:06 pm

At least Pires' player of the season was deserved, unlike Giggs'. As for Giggs. I really don't think he quite fulfilled his early potential. After witnessing his goal against Spurs in the 92/93 season, I'd thought we'd unearthed a true great, but he wasn't consistent enough to label him as one. Still a legend in my eyes, despite my reservations on him being the EPL's greatest.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:10 pm

For me -

--------------schemichel---------
G.nev--Terry------adams-----cole

-gerrard-vieira- scholes-ronaldo

---------shearer---henry--------

Giggs has just retired, therefore people going to cream over his career right now. Doesn't get in my XI, great career but I can't just put him in because of longevity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Schmeichel

G Neville
Terry
Ferdinand
Cole

Gerrard
Viera
Scholes

Ronaldo
Henry
Shearer
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 3:41 pm

im sorry but i cant ever see a prem all time 11 without giggs in, who has achieved more during the prem era than giggs? most trophies, most assists, most apperences

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon May 19, 2014 3:42 pm

John wrote:For me -

--------------schemichel---------
G.nev--Terry------adams-----cole

-gerrard-vieira- scholes-ronaldo

---------shearer---henry--------

Giggs has just retired, therefore people going to cream over his career right now. Doesn't get in my XI, great career but I can't just put him in because of longevity.

Not at all John, in fact I think youre doing that classic "anti-hype" thing. I mean, how can Giggs not be in a top prem side? Hes absolutely dominated this league. Certainly laughable that Shearer is considered over him.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon May 19, 2014 3:45 pm

compelling and rich wrote:im sorry but i cant ever see a prem all time 11 without giggs in, who has achieved more during the prem era than giggs? most trophies, most assists, most apperences

I'd have him in a 4-4-2, thanks to his career. Not having Bergkamp is almost unthinkable.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 3:45 pm

as ive said i think ronaldo is the best player ive seen in the prem but i cant put him in the all time greatest team. when he joined he was just a kid, took him a few years to improve and find his feet. he only had three great seasons for us and left just as he was reaching his peak. not enough there to be classed as a all time great of premership era

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Stella wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:im sorry but i cant ever see a prem all time 11 without giggs in, who has achieved more during the prem era than giggs? most trophies, most assists, most apperences

I'd have him in a 4-4-2, thanks to his career. Not having Bergkamp is almost unthinkable.

you didnt put him in yours? bergkamp as good as he was doesnt have the goals or assists to back him up like other forwards have. i mean Stuart downing has more assists than him!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm

he also has the same amount as nani! i mean im not always rooneys biggest fan but he p!sses all over berkamp in both goals and assists. think berkamp is remembered for his moments of magic he could produce but people soon forget the days when he could be very quiet

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon May 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Definitely the greatest Premier League player for me. 13 PL titles, 35 trophies in all, adapted to different teams/roles under Fergie, only player to have played in 22 successive Premier League seasons, only player to have scored in 21 successive Premier League seasons. The list goes on and on, there might have been more gifted but there has been no greater PL player.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon May 19, 2014 4:39 pm

I remember Cantona being voted as Utds greatest ever player {poor George}, but Giggs for me is in a different league in the PL. Very Happy 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon May 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Greatness down to his longevity and his legacy.
In terms of ability, there have been numerous players better than him throughout the league's history.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Certainly laughable that Shearer is considered over him.

picard 

Never knew being the all time leading goalscorer in the EPL was such minor achievement & shouldn't be recognised. Yeah, giggs achieved loads & is a legendary name for United but not a great for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon May 19, 2014 5:05 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:
GSC wrote:Henry has as many team of the year awards and 1 more player of the year award (and lets face it, Giggs' was a lifetime achievement award after Torres went balls deep on Vidic)

Henry over Giggs?

Lets not be silly. Henry is a legend don't get me wrong and probably the best striker the Prem has ever seen but he isn't/wasn't as good as Giggs, Ronaldo and Bale.

Laugh 

picard

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon May 19, 2014 5:26 pm

There's some crap being spoken on here, how in the hell is Giggs not a great player, you don't achieve all he has for how long he has without being great. All well and good guys like Bale and Ronaldo doing it for a couple of seasons but doing it year in year out should earn more respect than it's being shown.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next