The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves v Arthur Abraham

5 posters

Go down

Groves v Arthur Abraham Empty Groves v Arthur Abraham

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 12:23 pm

This is just a purely speculative question really but how do people think Groves would fare against Abraham at this point?

Both fighters should now be ranked as the top couple of contenders for the EBU SMW title. A couple of years ago it would be almost unthinkable that Abraham might be willing to entertain this kind of fight, but circumstances have changed drastically. Hes now effectively suffered 3 straight defeats at world level and is in need of a win if his career is to survive. Targetting the EBU SMW belt may be a step Abraham is willing to consider at least for a temporary basis and Groves may be seen as a decent opponent at this point for Abraham. Some would advocaate Abraham going back to Middleweight and I would not rule that out but I think he is need of rebuilding wherever he goes and isnt ready for another world title shot anytime soon.

From Groves perspective this would obviously be his biggest test and a genuine step up. But on the plus fight he would be facing an opponent that is on a losing streak, has low confidence, is quite limited and there is already a well established blueprint on how to beat him.

With Booths reputation for matching Groves tough, and Groves sparring experiences with the likes of Dirrell coupled with Abrahams fall from the world level - do people think this is a kind of test Booth and Groves may entertain?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Groves v Arthur Abraham Empty Re: Groves v Arthur Abraham

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 23 May 2011, 12:26 pm

Should not happen, well not as yet.
Groves needs about another year developing his game.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 May 2011, 12:37 pm

To be honest I think Abraham is yesterday's man, now. First off, he just isn't a Super-Middleweight and his hussle and bussle style which he used to bully opponents at 160 lb just isn't effective at the higher weight. His confidence is shot to pieces, and I genuinely think that Groves - or any fully-fledged Super-Middleweight who can actually box rather than brawl - would have the beating of him.

Obviously with Abraham still packing a decent whack at 168 lb, Groves or anyone else would have to have their wits about them when engaging, but if Groves turned in the kind of disciplined performance he did on saturday night, I'd back him to box Abraham's ears off. 'King Arthur' is almost totally reliant on enticing his opponents in to a slugging contest - the Dirrell and, in particular, Froch affairs have shown that if that doesn't happen, he has no tools to get under or inside a jab, and his work rate has dropped massively since his days at Middleweight, too.

Not the kind of fight either of them need right now, all in all. I'd like to see Groves defend the British title a couple of times to earn the Lonsdale belt outright, and then look at the likes of Bika (or another solid gatekeeper to the division) for early 2012.

Failing a return to Middleweight, Abraham, I think, will soon be quietly slipping in to retirement.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 23 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Must agree with D4 here. Would like to see Groves put the two extra notches on the Lonsdale belt so that he gets to keep it, before taking on the Abrahams of this world. I'd have thought that he's well ahead of schedule, a British and Commonwealth champ at 23, bearing in mind that he's a relative novice with barely 3 hours in the professional ring under his belt in total.

No hurry and George can develop further, of that there's no doubt. He'll be ready for European level competition at 168, not excluding Abraham, within a year or so, I'd reckon.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 12:45 pm

The problem I foresee is that Groves/Booth will not want to rematch DeGale anytime soon, but with Warrens connections either the BBBC will order a rematch or else DeGale will just have to win his next fight and will become mandatory for Groves titles.

If this happens then Groves will probably have to vacate which could force him to move into Euro level sooner rather than later.

Whether through Warrens help or not the chances are DeGale will be knocking on Groves door very shortly one way or the other and given the close nature of the fight you cant really blame them. It wont really do Groves credibility much good if he remains on the domestic scene and then avoids a DeGale rematch so Booth might decide to just leave the domestic scene behind and go for the EBU.

Booth seems to be ok with taking risks with Groves and the timing could be right to face Abraham in the near future. It would be a strong test and a good profile raiser that would open alot of doors for Groves should he win.

Last edited by manos de piedra on Mon 23 May 2011, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 23 May 2011, 12:50 pm

wouldnt like to see it either.
plus arthur is coming off a 3 fight bad streak, he doest belong in the super middleweight division.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 23 May 2011, 1:01 pm

Would like to see Groves take on Piotr Wilczewski for the European crown at the end of the year.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down