The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBA order GGG to face...

+15
Seanusarrilius
Gentleman01
milkyboy
John Bloody Wayne
eddyfightfan
joeyjojo618
AlexHuckerby
jimdig
catchweight
Strongback
Boxtthis
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
Atila
hampo17
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WBA order GGG to face... Empty WBA order GGG to face...

Post by hampo17 Wed 14 May 2014, 2:15 pm

The amazing Aussie that is Jarrod Fletcher.

Well done WBA, another pointless fight that will be over before the sixth.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

WBA order GGG to face... Empty Re: WBA order GGG to face...

Post by Atila Wed 14 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Who would you like the WBA to order him to face? They could order him to face Martinez or Sturm but it doesn't make them have to fight him.

Fletcher is their top ranked contender, he deserves his chance.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 14 May 2014, 3:13 pm

Fletcher was stopped in two rounds by Billy Joe Saunders less than two years ago. There was talk of a fight with Daniel Geale, that fight is better than this one.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 14 May 2014, 3:42 pm

Can't see HBO giving that one the green light. He's in negotiations with Geale I believe.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 May 2014, 4:04 pm

Dirty cherry picking swine..

With Alvarez and Maidana in his last two fights we should all get behind Floyd..

He's a real fighter !!!.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 14 May 2014, 4:12 pm

Boxing is such a ridiculous sport in this respect. That someone can be considered too dangerous to even get a chance to prove themselves at the top level is pretty crazy.

This is a pointless fight for GGG, and one that I doubt HBO will allow. I hope that this pushes HBO into using their clout to force a decent match for him. There's not too many top class options though. Geale is the only obvious bet.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 May 2014, 4:17 pm

If he keeps disposing of fighters in an exciting way.......He'll become an attraction and get the fights...

Top opponents will get well paid for fighting him.........Which is the problem at the moment..

He's not easy to market now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 14 May 2014, 5:46 pm

I know Andy Lee has a fight on the Martinez v Cotto undercard but what happened to the speculated fight he was to have with GGG? Obviously Lee would get splatted but I didn't hear why the fight didn't happen.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 14 May 2014, 5:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If he keeps disposing of fighters in an exciting way.......He'll become an attraction and get the fights...

Top opponents will get well paid for fighting him.........Which is the problem at the moment..

He's not easy to market now..

GGG made a big splash in the States last year. He was voted fighter of the year by the fans.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 May 2014, 6:01 pm

Pity no one goes to watch him though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 14 May 2014, 6:16 pm

Golovkins marketability, or lack there of is way overplayed. Hes an exciting fighter with huge potential but so far hasnt been able to get any breakthrough fights. The kind of mismatches hes being forced to take are not going to have people flocking. If Martinez has the balls to face him after Cotto that would be a very big fight. Golovkin is a big name in boxing. Hes just stuck with lackluste opponents because hes being avoided and priced out. Hes the sort of fighter that can dish out fights that take years off a fighter and he is in a division where only one other guy would have a hope of beating him and personally I wouldnt give Martinez a great chance by any stretch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 14 May 2014, 6:31 pm

Ggg's fight with Stevens was the 3rd highest viewed cable tv fight in 2013, behind cotto v Rodriquez, and Chavez jr v Vera. Considering cotto and Chavez are pretty big ppv stars, whom fighting on cable would be a rarity.
His "2 days" documentary against Rosado had the highest ever viewing figures for any "2 days" documentary  to date.

I wouldn't be so sure that ggg is Unmarketable and avoided as people make out. If anything that tag makes him even more marketable.

I'm starting to suspect there might be a case of the Roy jones jrs here, in that hbo are giving him the leeway to look impressive against selected opposition.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 14 May 2014, 6:38 pm

He is massively avoided. Even other fighters promoters are basically saying as much. There is only one good fight for him at middleweight. Somebody like Geale is better than nothing but its still a mismatch. Martinez and that about it. I would bet on Martinez avoided it though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 14 May 2014, 10:17 pm

Every fighter, every promoter you ask will tell you he's avoided. It's pretty clear he's avoided.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Wed 14 May 2014, 10:51 pm

Why doesnt he just move up to SMW? The middleweights dont want him, but there are lots of fights out there for him just one division up. He seems happy kicking around at MW, beating up bin men and waiting Martinez out.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 15 May 2014, 1:35 am

in his hay day martinez would have boxed rings around ggg. dont get me wrong i think he is decent, and has scary power. but his lack of head movement and inexperience at the the elite level mean to me that even now id put sergio favourite.

im not sure if he really is looking for the big fights, as joey says they could move up anytime for plenty of top calibere fights. but if his power doesnt carry then he is just ordinary. he has made a habit of fighting only forward fighters too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 15 May 2014, 2:57 am

Who's avoiding him though, Martinez is out for about a year. With knee surgery and is fighting cotto for a close to 10 million purse. Look at Martinez' fights over the last 4 years, Williams x 2, pavlik, barker, Murray, Macklin, junior he's fought everyone available in the division. Taking a cotto fight for huge money isn't a duck.
Junior would have fought ggg, if arum hadn't played silly beggars with him. "You've 18 months on your contract, if you fight ggg, I'll give you the same as the Vera rematch, if you extend you contact so that I own your ass for the next 5 years of your life I'll give you 10 million".

I've no interest in being owned, 18 months into the future is plenty.

So Martinez is tied up with cotto, junior fell through, so who's avoiding him?

Froch and groves?
Ward? Ggg hasn't really made any approach.
Kid chocolate? Frozen out on show time.
Murray? Maybe, he was offer 1/2 mill to fight in Monte Carlo, and turned it down to change promotors, can't fight in the states.
Geale? He seems to want to fight him.
Lee? He also wants to fight him.
Floyd? Canelo at 154? Don't buy it. I'd like to see ggg, drop to 154 and take on Lara? He could have made that fight I'd guess, no interest.

He's not avoided, there isn't much depth at middleweight, and he's only interested in cotto and Martinez as far as I can see. And he can talk all he wants but they are facing each other because it makes sense. Martinez is the man at the weight, cotto brings the most money, and wants to fight the man.

Rigo, is avoided, man at the weight, 2 belts, no one wants to fight him. I don't think the same can be said about ggg.

Ggg talks about wanting to fight the best from 154 to 168, but everyone is running scared. Well the recognised best across that band is ward. Go call him out, he needs a fight, his promotor disputes seem to be sorted. See how you get on with him instead of waiting on Martinez and cotto.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 15 May 2014, 3:28 am

jimdig wrote:Who's avoiding him though, Martinez is out for about a year. With knee surgery and is fighting cotto for a close to 10 million purse. Look at Martinez' fights over the last 4 years, Williams x 2, pavlik, barker, Murray, Macklin, junior he's fought everyone available in the division. Taking a cotto fight for huge money isn't a duck.
Junior would have fought ggg, if arum hadn't played silly beggars with him. "You've 18 months on your contract, if you fight ggg, I'll give you the same as the Vera rematch, if you extend you contact so that I own your ass for the next 5 years of your life I'll give you 10 million".

I've no interest in being owned, 18 months into the future is plenty.

So Martinez is tied up with cotto, junior fell through, so who's avoiding him?

Froch and groves?
Ward? Ggg hasn't really made any approach.
Kid chocolate? Frozen out on show time.
Murray? Maybe, he was offer 1/2 mill to fight in Monte Carlo, and turned it down to change promotors, can't fight in the states.
Geale? He seems to want to fight him.
Lee? He also wants to fight him.
Floyd? Canelo at 154? Don't buy it. I'd like to see ggg, drop to 154 and take on Lara? He could have made that fight I'd guess, no interest.

He's not avoided, there isn't much depth at middleweight, and he's only interested in cotto and Martinez as far as I can see. And he can talk all he wants but they are facing each other because it makes sense. Martinez is the man at the weight, cotto brings the most money, and wants to fight the man.

Rigo, is avoided, man at the weight, 2 belts, no one wants to fight him. I don't think the same can be said about ggg.

Ggg talks about wanting to fight the best from 154 to 168, but everyone is running scared. Well the recognised best across that band is ward. Go call him out, he needs a fight, his promotor disputes seem to be sorted. See how you get on with him instead of waiting on Martinez and cotto.

I agree there's more to it than just a simple case of everybody avoiding Golovkin. Some fighters like Froch aren't interested but there are fights at 168lbs that could be made for good purses. I think GGG has done quite well establishing his name against just below world level fighters. There is a level of care in the way he has been promoted. Seems they are waiting for a jackpot fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 May 2014, 5:08 am

Same with Rigo.......look at the paltry amount that turned up to his last defence....

GGG's maybe the third highest fight on cable but all the big fighters don't fight on cable....

So it's not really that relevant.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 May 2014, 6:01 am

GGG Vs Stevens was on HBO, Truss.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 May 2014, 6:11 am

Why should he move up to super mmiddle though? He's not a big middleweight and has done all he can to earn a shot at the best but been denied. Martinez is ducking him in my opinion. It's motivated by money but it's a duck. Cotto's done nothing to earn his shot other than generate money. Golovkin is the rightful heir.

When Chavez Jr had the belt and Martinez was avoided, it was about legacy, not wealth. Things have changed since then.

Pointless fight if true. His only real threat is motivation.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 May 2014, 6:14 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Why should he move up to super mmiddle though? He's not a big middleweight and has done all he can to earn a shot at the best but been denied. Martinez is ducking him in my opinion. It's motivated by money but it's a duck. Cotto's done nothing to earn his shot other than generate money. Golovkin is the rightful heir.

When Chavez Jr had the belt and Martinez was avoided, it was about legacy, not wealth. Things have changed since then.

Apparently he's looking for fights...........If Oscar, Spinks, Duran, Manny, Mayweather, Chavez, Leonard, Hearns can move up .........Then why not this guy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 May 2014, 6:21 am

Apparently GGG-Stevens got 4,000 at the MSG.........It wasn't sold out..

Let's not forget Stevens is a New Yorker.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 15 May 2014, 6:49 am

Hbo are the biggest decider in purses when it comes to ggg. Ggg is hbo's biggest non ppv star (more viewing interest than ward).

Ggg said he'd fight anyone up to 168. Was in the signing process for Chavez at 168. It's fallen through, why not purse ward. It'd be a great fight with great interest.

I agree that ggg is the heir apparent to Martinez. But chances are Martinez retires after cotto (whom he probably beats one legged). Martinez said he'd need a tune up fight after surgery which he has now forgone.

We really don't know what's left for Martinez. Ggg needs to make his own path, he's 31 and too old to leave all his eggs in that basket.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 May 2014, 6:55 am

Golovkin got $400,000 for Stevens........So the purse bids weren't that high....

Rosario in 1987 got $450,000 for defending against Chavez........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 May 2014, 8:09 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Why should he move up to super mmiddle though? He's not a big middleweight and has done all he can to earn a shot at the best but been denied. Martinez is ducking him in my opinion. It's motivated by money but it's a duck. Cotto's done nothing to earn his shot other than generate money. Golovkin is the rightful heir.

Apparently he's looking for fights...........If Oscar, Spinks, Duran, Manny, Mayweather, Chavez, Leonard, Hearns can move up .........Then why not this guy...

They were allowed the opportunity to do the business in their original weight class, a luxury GGG hasn't been afforded yet in my opinion.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 15 May 2014, 8:10 am

And 350,000 against Macklin, macklin picking up 300,000 + another date on hbo.
I am a bit shocked at that truss. I did think there was more in the pot for a golovkin fight.

He has 4 slots a year with hbo, looks like it'll be another year of more of the same.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 15 May 2014, 8:37 am

I know some posters hark back to the good old days where you stuck at your weight and dominated. That's all well and good, but if there's no competition, you have to chase the dollar. If he was mexican he could fight stiffs for years. He's not, so he needs to make a splash.

I keep hearing he's a small middle... Well he ain't that small. It's fine if he wants to stay at middle, defend against no marks for a few quid. His choice. If he's as good as everyone says, then I'd like to see him in big fights, and martinez aside, they are up a weight. Hey he signed for junior so I'm sure they'll come.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 15 May 2014, 8:44 am

Why would Golovkin want to arse about fighting these mismatches unless he had to? He could be making much better money against the big names. All the excuses are made for his opponents. Murray turned down a career high pay day to sign with some African outfit. But that was just Murray changing trainers. Geale turned the fight down because the date didnt suit him. Chavez turned it down because he didnt want to be "tied down". Martinez wasnt ready after his injury. They dont want to fight him pure and simple. He is struggling to get fights and its not through lack of trying.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 15 May 2014, 8:52 am

I agree with catchweight.

Also: Golovkin is a middleweight (this isn't a case of a young fighter still growing through the divisions) who wants to become champion in his own division.

The names listed above (Leonard, Oscar, Spinks etc.) were all afforded the chance to become champion at their optimum weight limit before they moved on.

Hopefully the championship situation should sort itself out after Martinez deal with Cotto. Aside from Canelo (should he move to 160) a fight with Golovkin would be the biggest left on the table for Sergio.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 15 May 2014, 9:23 am

Well canelo is starting to look like a guy who will fight anyone. Trout and Lara offered nothing but respect from hardcore fans. So maybe he'll...... He's shotime, forget about it.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 15 May 2014, 9:26 am

Canelo is following the Oscar blueprint and is going after the fights that will generate PPV and earnings for him. I can't see him running from GGG and he would be by far the best opponent Golovkin has ever faced.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 15 May 2014, 9:29 am

I would say win or lose that Alvarez will go up to middleweight after Lara and face Martinez. Golovkin will inevitably have to move up but even in the higher division there wont be a queue of fighters.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 May 2014, 2:40 pm

milkyboy wrote:I know some posters hark back to the good old days where you stuck at your weight and dominated. That's all well and good, but if there's no competition, you have to chase the dollar. If he was mexican he could fight stiffs for years. He's not, so he needs to make a splash.

I keep hearing he's a small middle... Well he ain't that small. It's fine if he wants to stay at middle, defend against no marks for a few quid. His choice. If he's as good as everyone says, then I'd like to see him in big fights, and martinez aside, they are up a weight. Hey he signed for junior so I'm sure they'll come.

Call me an idealist, but I think a champion should fight his most worthy challengers. As Floyd Patterson said, "It's the heavyweight championship of the world, not the heavyweight championship of the world apart from Sonny Liston."

I'd rather he moved than fight nomarks forever, but he should be given the opportunity not to fight no marks and at least hint at his potential at 160 before leaving.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 15 May 2014, 7:18 pm

Patterson was an idiot, john not an idealist. Fancy fighting that big bear, when you're just a little cruiserweight.

I'm happy for ggg to hang around at middle if there are some fights for him and he can prove himself the man at the weight. However,  As a, frankly quite impatient, fan, I'd really like to see the guy in a fight worthy of the name. Not knocking him, not saying its his fault, but if everyone his weight is bricking it at the mention of his name and the stories of his brutal sparring, then maybe the bigger guys won't be.

But would that be making the same mistake as Patterson? Well who cares if its a good tear up. Whistle

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 16 May 2014, 9:19 am

It wasn't a mistake. It's the least a champion should be expected to do.

It's because actually facing your top contenders is seen as a mistake that the list of history's world champions will include Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and not Charley Burley.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 16 May 2014, 9:46 am

My post was the usual flippant affair. You have your serious head on John. Is that because you've been taking your tablets? Or stopped taking your tablets?

Whichever, robinson's a ducker and burley beats him?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 16 May 2014, 9:47 am

Wasn't GGG set to fight Pirog before Dmitry sustained a pretty serious back injury?

I really hope Pirog makes a comeback this year. I remember being really impressed by him.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 16 May 2014, 9:55 am

Fingers crossed but I fear we may have seen the last of him... Recurring back injury and he's no spring chicken.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 16 May 2014, 10:22 am

I am a big GGG fan, but even I am sick of his lack of top opp. It may not be his fault, but he is in his thirties and his best win is Stevens. Quillin is a paper champ who will duck him, Martinez is old and looking for money, so can't really blame him. Sturm, well, he isn't leaving Germany again. I am not sure who he can fight at 160, but he needs to fight someone.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 16 May 2014, 11:49 am

milkyboy wrote:My post was the usual flippant affair. You have your serious head on John. Is that because you've been taking your tablets? Or stopped taking your tablets?

Whichever, robinson's a ducker and burley beats him?

I'm on a cocktail of tablets longer than my arm, which, to give context, was stretched to twice its original length in a crochet incident last week.

and obviously.

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Fri 16 May 2014, 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hell)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 17 May 2014, 4:59 pm

From Dan Rafael on Twitter: GGG and team reiterate he will go to 168 for a major fight. Would be willing to go to UK to fight Froch-Groves winner.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 17 May 2014, 5:03 pm

Degale's next for Froch or Groves winner.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 17 May 2014, 5:14 pm

Degalele v GGG for the right to face the winner? I know it won't happen but I'd give my left ball to see it.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 18 May 2014, 4:40 am

GGG's team have asked for an exemption from their mandatory to fight geale.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 May 2014, 6:08 am

Looks like Geale next judging by reports.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 18 May 2014, 6:36 am

Well that is better then fletcher

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 18 May 2014, 7:10 am

You know what, I hadn't thought of that, and in a perfect world, GGG vs DeGale to get the Froch/Groves winner would be an ideal scenario. Because although DeGale will be in the momentous position of being mandatory, he won't really have done enough to deserve Froch. Yes Groves though. Froch could dump that belt if he got a big offer from Chavez for example.

GGG vs DeGale would answer some questions-  how would the undefeated Kazakh get on against a good cagey boxer with slippery skills, will DeGale have the necessary toughness to mix it at the highest level, will DeGale's lack of pop hinder his progress, wiil DeGale's opposition have left him underprepared, or is DeGale going to be able to fiddle his way to victory against the big beasts?

Not going to happen but as above, would love to see it. DeGale's next fight is of interest though. A quick flick through the internet might suggest Gonzalez(of Mexican and African American heritage,) could prove to be a tricky customer. A former top rated amateur, he may also have a power and speed advantage.

(Thank God for the edit function.)

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 18 May 2014, 7:35 am

Herman Jaggery wrote:You know what, I hadn't thought of that, and in a perfect world, GGG vs DeGale to get the Froch/Groves winner would be an ideal scenario. Because although DeGale will be in the momentous position of being mandatory, he won't really have done enough to deserve Froch. Yes Groves though. Froch could dump that belt if he got a big offer from Chavez for example.

GGG vs DeGale would answer some questions-  how would the undefeated Kazakh get on against a good cagey boxer with slippery skills, will DeGale have the necessary toughness to mix it at the highest level, will DeGale's lack of pop hinder his progress, wiil DeGale's opposition have left him underprepared, or is DeGale going to be able to fiddle his way to victory against the big beasts?

Not going to happen but as above, would love to see it. DeGale's next fight is of interest though. A quick flick through the internet might suggest Gonzalez(of Mexican and African American heritage,) could prove to be a tricky customer. A former top rated amateur, he may also have a power and speed advantage.

Having watched Brandon against Tommy Oosthuizen, he looked good, he looked quite tricky, and if he is as good as that performance, he might beat the Chunky One. But Tommy had a very complicated year last year, exacerbated by a body that simply couldnt make 168lbs anymore. Hard to know how much of Brandon's performance was him, and how much was a disinterested Oosthuizen.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 18 May 2014, 7:38 am

Geale will be ruined by Golovkin. Better than nothing fight but Martinez v Golovkin is really the only fight at middleweight. I think Golovkin will have similar difficulty securing fights at super middleweight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next