The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course"

+13
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
Bob_the_Job
twoeightnine
lorus59
kwinigolfer
super_realist
gaelgowfer
navyblueshorts
beninho
Davie
JAS
McLaren
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course" - Page 2 Empty "European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course"

Post by McLaren Mon 12 May 2014, 7:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Terrible news, but thought the european tours reaction warranted some discussion

Here are some reactions summarized in the Guardian;

Guardian wrote:The European Tour suffered condemnation from its own membership after the final round of the Madeira Islands Open was allowed to continue despite the death of a caddie.

Iain McGregor, who was working for the Scot Alastair Forsyth, collapsed on the 9th fairway with a suspected heart attack and died a short time later. Following a suspension in play and discussion with players and caddies, the Tour resumed the final round of the competition. It seemed an insensitive move, as others were quick to recognise.

The move sparked a fierce backlash in some quarters. "Can't believe that they are sending out players to finish the 2nd and final round when someone just died on the course," tweeted the Swedish golfer Joel Sjöholm.

The Finn Mikko Ilonen posted: "Call it off NOW European Tour. Have some respect please."

Jean-Baptiste Gonnet and Pablo Larrazabal continued on this theme. Gonnet said: "Can't believe there are still playing in Madeira. There is no respect anymore. How you can even walk on the 9th fairway?"

Larrazabal added: "Cant believe they are going to keep playing in Madeira. Life is more important than golf."

In their own statement, the European Tour said: "Everyone at the European Tour extends our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of Iain at this time. Following consultation with the players and caddies involved, however, it has been decided that play should continue and the tournament should finish.

"A minute's silence has taken place at the clubhouse and play resumed at 6.00pm local time."

McGregor, a Zimbabwean, would have celebrated his 53rd birthday on Monday. Forsyth defended the decision to play on, saying: "Everybody is in shock. To see that happen to someone in front of your eyes – I don't know how or when you get over that.

"Myself and playing partners Adam (Gee) and Tano (Goya) met tournament officials and spoke to George O'Grady on the phone before taking the decision to play on, because we felt that was what Mac would have wanted.

"He was a guy I've known for 15 years and was very popular amongst the caddies. Obviously my thoughts go out to his family at this time. For something like this to happen so suddenly is so sad.

"He was far too young for this to happen. He was the life and soul of the caddies' lounge and a nice guy who will be sorely missed. I'm absolutely numb."

John Huggan tweeted this a moment ago

John Huggan ‏@johnhuggan wrote:Have now slept on my reaction to what happened in Madeira yesterday. Still can't get my head round what they were all thinking by playing on

And also this from another caddie I presume?

Magic ‏@Magicmoments66 wrote:friend died today doing the job he loved, caddying in Madeira.
They are still playing the tournament. Retweet if u think this is wrong!

Also claims there was no defibrillator on site and retweeted much support for his position https://twitter.com/Magicmoments66

Regardless of whether the event should have gone ahead does anyone else find it very odd that Forsyth bothered to tee it up again given he had no chance of a decent finish?

Is it easy for those not playing to say they would not have teed it up again? In the month of the 20th anniversary of Senna and Ratzenbergers deaths we are reminded that sport does not have a history of stopping for the death of competitors. Although as far as I know all the football matched in the last few years that involving a players death were stopped.

So what do you folks make of what went on and is this another case of O'Grady failing to do the right thing for the tour?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

"European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course" - Page 2 Empty Re: "European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course"

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 15 May 2014, 10:08 am

Laugh Sadly, perhaps, that tends to be my sort of black humour I'm afraid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

"European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course" - Page 2 Empty Re: "European Tour criticised for playing on despite death of caddie on course"

Post by Davie Thu 15 May 2014, 12:54 pm

The only thing questionable about that cartoon is perhaps the timing of it - was it just (re)published recently? AKAIK it's a very old joke and we've probably all heard it or told it and varieties on it many times. Is it sick outside of the current timescale? Yes, probably but not out of the ordinary

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 15 May 2014, 1:13 pm

Cartoon had it as 9th green too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 15 May 2014, 2:25 pm

McLaren wrote:The story in cartoon form;

Herald Sun Cartoon:

Poor taste or a fair reflection of events?
He should take a drop since he's playing from a dead angle.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 May 2014, 2:56 pm

Can't see that O'Grady is saying the Tour made the wrong decision last week.
Typical O'Grady, What does he really stand for?
Except O'Grady of course.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/27454377

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 19 May 2014, 3:48 pm

A quote from Alastair Forsyth probably puts it all into perspective:

“Myself and playing partners Adam (Gee) and Tano (Goya) met Tournament Officials and spoke to George O’Grady on the phone before taking the decision to play on, because we felt that was what Mac would have wanted."

As for the lack of defib on the course, some course owners/managers have a strange attitude to this. When my husband worked as a greenkeeper at a prestigious south-east London course, he was sent on a first aid refresher course (the one which lasts a week not just a day) and, at the end, was asked by the tutor if he would like to do the defib training as well. He asked the course manager who said No - the club wouldn't pay for it or for the equipment. Needless to say my husband was furious.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 20 May 2014, 9:33 am

Davie wrote: AKAIK it's a very old joke

Sorry Davie you've lost me. AKAIK?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 20 May 2014, 9:58 am

AFAIK AKAIK should be AFAIK.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 20 May 2014, 10:10 am

Yes Pedro is right .. predictive text doesn't work very well on unpredictable text :P ... AFAIK

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 20 May 2014, 10:10 am

Still lost!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 20 May 2014, 10:13 am

IMHO it's As far as I know.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 20 May 2014, 10:19 am

FWIW 1GG AOK

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 20 May 2014, 10:32 am

10-4 HUA

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 20 May 2014, 12:08 pm

WTF?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 20 May 2014, 12:30 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:WTF?

LOL

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 20 May 2014, 2:42 pm

Probably should have been IIRC

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2