The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unfulfilled Potential

+10
Duty281
hornbloweroafc
NickisBHAFC
The Special Juan
hampo17
Nakatomi Plaza
CFCNick
dummy_half
88Chris05
AberdeenSteve
14 posters

Go down

Unfulfilled Potential Empty Unfulfilled Potential

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 30 Apr 2014, 6:51 pm

Friend of mine showed this link the other morning:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulham/178016/back-in-2007-daily-mail-predicted-their-england-team-of-the-future.html

The above is an article the Daily Mail had written about what the future England XI could be. Of the eleven, Theo Walcott & Micah Richards are the only two that have really made any impression on the Premier League. Of the other nine, the biggest name is Scott Sinclair with the rest making careers in the Championship or lower.

Had me thinking, which other players (English or non-English) didn't live up to the potential that many believe they would fulfill?

For me, and probably a little controversial, it's Jack Wilshere. His potential has been stunted by injuries but when he first burst into the Arsenal there was genuine talent there that could make him one of the most naturally gifted English midfield players since Gascogine. However, as previously mentioned, his injuries have caused him to stagnate. There is still loads of time for him to come good and fulfil that potential but for the moment, he has yet to convince me.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Unfulfilled Potential Empty Re: Unfulfilled Potential

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm

Francis Jeffers, maybe? Before Rooney, Everton had another boy wonder who looked set for great things. Flopped at Arsenal and never really recovered.

I remember back in 2000/2001, when he was probably Blackburn's Player of the Season as they got promoted back up to the Premiership, there was a lot of talk that Matt Jansen would / could be an England regular in the future, and that his versatility meant that he could also solve that left-midfield problem we had back then. Never quite happened like that and of course he had a bad run of luck with his injuries / health which basically saw him done as a top level player by the time he was 27 or so.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm

Going back a bit further there's Lee Sharpe - yes he had a few England caps and won plenty of honours with Man U, but he was only really the first choice left winger for one season before the emergence of Giggs and his own injury problems limited him to a squad player role. For someone who made his England debut before the age of 20, he really didn't go on to have the career expected.

David Dunn as another who has had a good career but not quite what was predicted - 'the new Gazza' never quite lived up to the tag, in part because of niggly injuries throughout his career (he has only played 40+ games in a season once in a 15 year career).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:36 pm

Lee Trundle

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm

Jermaine Pennant. Scored a hat-trick on his league debut, but went downhill after that, despite being given an opportunity at Liverpool to resurrect his career. Couldn't keep himself out of trouble of the pitch, and blamed all his issues on everyone else.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm

CFCNick wrote:Lee Trundle

Seriously? Started in non league before his move to Wrexham, I watched him for a number of years and he was a selfish player who thought he was a lot better than he was. I'd say he got more out of the game than most players with his ability.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:54 pm

Was cracking for Swansea

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:56 pm

Jack Rodwell. Is he even still alive these days?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:33 pm

Niel Ranger.

If he wasn't a mental looney, he would be playing Premiership football for sure.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

Dean Ashton but that was down to injuries unfortunately
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:13 pm

David Bentley. Richard Wright. Micah Richards. Michael Owen (to an extent). Joe Cole (could have been so great).

Hopefully I won't be adding Oxlade/Walcott/Sterling/Wilshere/Barkley/Shaw and the like in the years to come - lots of potential exists there.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:59 pm

Duty

I did think about saying Michael Owen - certainly he only occasionally reached the heights that were suggested by his goal against Argentina and his career was blighted by the world's dodgiest hamstrings.

Not sure Joe Cole really fits on the list - perhaps if he wasn't English he'd have played a bit more internationally, but he's had plenty of chances and hasn't been a big success at the very highest level. The sort of player who looks great for West Ham but not so great when surrounded by the better quality of Chelsea or Liverpool.

Micah Richards is still just about young enough to fulfil his potential, but he must move away from City to get more game time.

My feeling is Wilshere is heading towards the unfulfilled list - plenty of early hype and then a spell of injuries slowing his progression. Needs to get both his body and mind properly ready for the next season or two, otherwise he will find himself slipping down the pecking order for both Arsenal and England.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 May 2014, 12:27 am

Duty,
Not happy that 50% of your question marks are ex-Southampton Academy.
Do I sense a prejudice?
And is that positive??
Or negative???

Agree with dummy on Wilshere, and I, for one apparently, still have question marks against Barkley.
He's been in the Everton squad for three years now, and is still not an everyday player.
Should one read between the lines?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 May 2014, 12:34 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Duty,
Do I sense a prejudice?
And is that positive??
Or negative???

Agree with dummy on Wilshere, and I, for one apparently, still have question marks against Barkley.
He's been in the Everton squad for three years now, and is still not an everyday player.
Should one read between the lines?

Barkley's been on loan a lot, and Moyes was hardly renowned for giving youth teamers many chances at Everton
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 May 2014, 12:44 am

Olly,
I wasn't born yesterday.
But: He's still not an Everton regular and he's almost 3 years removed from his first Prem game. He'll be almost 21 by the time next season starts.
Perhaps there are issues? Or he's too one-dimensional.
And: Last time I checked he'd only played a dozen and a half games on loan, Moyes had left Everton and some guy called Robbie had been manager for a season. A little odd that he's still not a first-team regular.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 01 May 2014, 1:43 pm

To be fair Kwini he's made 32 league appearances this year, I expect we'll see him in the starting line up even more next year.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 May 2014, 1:55 pm

Yeah, But not all as a starter and many of the games he's started he's been subbed - it's not as if he's 18 after all.
I'm not denying he's a fine talent, so was Michael Johnson, just saying it's surprising that he's not a 90-minute player.
'Course, Rodwell was the next great Goodison star and look at him.
And I love Everton!

If Barkley has a stormer this weekend I'll be happy to eat my words, but I'd bet against him even playing 90 minutes - if he even starts.

Hope I'm wrong.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 May 2014, 2:17 pm

Martinez loves to tinker with his attacking players, so obviously he's gonna miss some games depending on what Martinez does, the kids a huge talent, he's only 21!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 01 May 2014, 3:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Yeah, But not all as a starter and many of the games he's started he's been subbed - it's not as if he's 18 after all.
I'm not denying he's a fine talent, so was Michael Johnson, just saying it's surprising that he's not a 90-minute player.
'Course, Rodwell was the next great Goodison star and look at him.
And I love Everton!

If Barkley has a stormer this weekend I'll be happy to eat my words, but I'd bet against him even playing 90 minutes - if he even starts.

Hope I'm wrong.

Is not better to have Barkley play less games, and become the athlete necessary to become a top EPL player or throw him in at the deep and have the same happen to him that happened to Wilshere? Wilshere played way too many games at the highest level too early and is now paying for it.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 May 2014, 3:10 pm

I'm fine with that Steve, but don't let's big him up as an England player until he's proved himself at club level.
Hope both he and Wilshere stay at home this summer and let their bodies heal.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 01 May 2014, 3:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:David Bentley. Richard Wright. Micah Richards. Michael Owen (to an extent). Joe Cole (could have been so great).

Hopefully I won't be adding Oxlade/Walcott/Sterling/Wilshere/Barkley/Shaw and the like in the years to come - lots of potential exists there.

Richard Wright, was there really any expectations for him?  Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 01 May 2014, 3:46 pm

Touted as Seaman's long-term successor, all those years ago.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 01 May 2014, 6:44 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Not sure Joe Cole really fits on the list - perhaps if he wasn't English he'd have played a bit more internationally, but he's had plenty of chances and hasn't been a big success at the very highest level. The sort of player who looks great for West Ham but not so great when surrounded by the better quality of Chelsea or Liverpool.

Not having that. Joey was fantastic, but should never have played in a Mourinho side. Technically beautiful, inventive, passionate, hes the best player I've seen for us and he was young. Thats best player over Tevez as well as the Ferdinand's, Carrick's etc. Just as its a huge shame for this country that Fergie never signed Gazza, I think its damn annoying he never signed Joey too. He by no means failed at Chelsea, scored some wonderful and important goals (I remember performances in big games against Man United where he looked so good), but it was a little bit against his natural game. So often the standout player for England as his teammates floundered too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 May 2014, 9:40 pm

Of course the greatest English player to not fulfill his potential was Duncan Edwards, but for more tragic reasons obviously
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Thu 01 May 2014, 10:14 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:
Duty281 wrote:David Bentley. Richard Wright. Micah Richards. Michael Owen (to an extent). Joe Cole (could have been so great).

Richard Wright, was there really any expectations for him?  Laugh

Richard Wright was superb for Ipswich

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 01 May 2014, 10:22 pm

What about Joey Barton? He's a good player but an absolute thunderc*nt of a person.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 01 May 2014, 10:23 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Duty,
Do I sense a prejudice?
And is that positive??
Or negative???

Positive, of course. I'm saying all those players aforementioned are a credit to the Southampton Academy, and have huge potential; I'm merely hoping they go on to fulfill it, and not fade away into the murky mists as some players of the English past have done.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 01 May 2014, 10:24 pm

The Special Juan wrote:What about Joey Barton?  He's a good player but an absolute thunderc*nt of a person.

He's an alright player, nothing more nothing less
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 01 May 2014, 10:36 pm

I really don't think Barton is that much of a cu*nt anymore, when he was younger he was, seems to of grown up a bit i also think he is pretty funny. Class player as well, way way too good for the Championship. Easily top half prem standard.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 01 May 2014, 11:45 pm

Hes not that good really though. Hes not England quality and never really has been. He's a differend kind of Kumquat these days. Thinks hes some sort of genius. His arrogance is disgusting

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri 02 May 2014, 9:04 am

Agree with you DZ about Barton, but I'd rather he speak nonsense on Twitter than beat up 16 year-olds outside of McDonalds.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 02 May 2014, 12:06 pm

I find it funny the amount of bites he gets on twitter. At the AMEX kept on doing the simple things to wind everyone up, moving the ball out of the corner circle, laughing at the fans in response. However was funny when he was looking at the north stand, and the player he was suppose to be marking scored from the corner  Laugh 

Good lad is Joey, would never be an England international never, but easily a good standard Premiership player.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 02 May 2014, 1:25 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Good lad is Joey

Are you taking the gypsies?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down