The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man United Thread- Part 2

+6
super_realist
Liam
compelling and rich
Dolphin Ziggler
Riggs
It Must Be Love
10 posters

Go down

Man United Thread- Part 2 Empty Man United Thread- Part 2

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm

It's been a shocking season Manchester United so far- with rumours of Moyes getting sacked, who can turn it around ?

Discuss all United news, rumours etc. on thread

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Man United Thread- Part 2 Empty Re: Man United Thread- Part 2

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:24 pm

To start if off- I thought this was quite funny:
https://www.facebook.com/SPORTbible/photos/a.338257439653128.1073741828.338233632988842/469708356508035/?type=1&theater

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:25 am

I wonder how much cancelling a 6 yr contract will cost Utd?

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:49 am

According to reports it'll only cost a year's wages. £4.5m or similar

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

talk of a clause in his contract that we could sack him cheaper if we didnt make it in the champions league

anybody who thinks this is a poor sacking hasn't got a clue how awful we have been under moyes. never seen so many people make excuses for a manager in my life!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 am

Van gaal will be the new man, 100%. Good short term option, will hopefully bring stability to the club. Then in a few seasons time, go back for klop.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:51 am

Would Klop ditch a successful team like Dortmund for deadbeats like United?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 am

Whoever thought Moyes would be a good replacement in the first place?  He was neither too successful nor too unsuccessful at Everton, keeping them in a position around 5th or 6th and only getting into the top four once, from where they made a speedy exit from Europe.
  Expectations were never high at Everton where it was considered he'd done a good job. It has to be said that he took over Man Untd NOT in a position of strength, despite their winning the Premiership repeatedly in the most recent years.
  It''s some years since United played exciting, attractive football, relying on fighting spirit, last-minute strikes and - last season - the goals of RVP - to keep them in title hunts. In Europe they had looked pedestrian, with no pace and too many so-so players.
  So, what was the result ? Average manager takes over average team, which has an average season.
  No team has a divine right to Champions League football and a string of premierships. United went 26 years without winning the title at one stage and Liverpool's barren run has lasted 24 years.
  One intriguing thought. Did SAF recommend Moyes knowing Moyes would do little to take the shine off the Fergie legend ?

Last edited by sirfredperry on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleaning up typos)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 am

cant say i was ever inspired by the moyes appointment, nice to be proven right

and super-realist, dead beats? do you mean the current champions dont you? dont let moyes incompetence cloud your judgement. we can blow dortmund out of the water with finance and he could actually build a team here without it being poached all the time. dortmund are rapidly decreasing from the team that made the final

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:03 am

sirfredperry wrote:Whoever thought Moyes would be a good replacement in the first place?  He was neither too successful nor too unsuccessful at Everton, keeping them in a position around 5th or 6th and only getting into the top four once, from where they made a speedy exit from Europe.
  Expectations were never high at Everton where it was considered he'd done a good job. It has to be said that he took over Man Untd NOT in a position of strength, despite their winning the Premiership repeatedly in the most recent years.
  It''s some years since United played exciting, attractive football, relying on fighting spirit, last-minute strikes and - last season - the goals of RVP - to keep them in title hunts. In Europe they had looked pedestrian, with no pace and too many so-so players.
  So, what was the result ? Average manager takes over average team, which has an average season.
  No team has a divine right to Champions League football and a string of premierships. United went 26 years without winning the title at one stage and Liverpool's barren run has lasted 24 years.
  One intriguing thought. Did SAF recommend Moyes knowing Moyes would do little to take the shine off the Fergie legend ?

In a word no. He was second choice when Mourinho was vetoed, thought he was a safe pair of hands.

No one is saying the side didn't need work, but they should not have finished 7th with 11 defeats in 34 games. There are still good players there, moyes just gets nothing out of them.

In europe we pushed a very good Madrid side very hard over 2 legs and ended up losing with 10 men.

There are a lot of apologists about, at the end of the day Moyes did a terrible job. I feel bad for him on a human level but not on a professional level.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 am

I sincerely doubt that Man United's poor season is SOLELY down to Moyes.
United have been experiencing diminishing returns and papering over cracks for a while and the depth of the squad is poor. There is a lot more to this than management, and it will take more than money to fix it.

There's a lot of teams in England and Europe who can match United these days, they've no right, and certainly don't deserve to be successful simply because of past glories.

It will be a brave manager to take that job on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

Ent - big question is, will Man Untd go into the sort of 24-yr decline that Liverpool have just experienced. OK, "decline" is relative, and Liverpool have remained a big club, Champions League regulars and winners, and often a top four side.
But Untd now face a future in which a rejuvenated Liverpool (and possibly Everton) could mean even getting 4th in the Premiership is a struggle and without Ch League football, the better players may not gravitate to Old Trafford.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 am

Who else is to blame?

Yes the team and squad need work, no one denies this - people would have accepted finishing top 4 with some evidence of progress. It hasn't happened. He has spent £65 million on a title winning squad. Last season F:86 A:43 this year F56!! A:40 11 defeats, 6 at home!.

Rafael
Ferdinand
Vidic
Smalling
Jones
Evans (injured)
Carrick
Nani (injured)
Cleverly
Giggs
kagawa
RVP (injured)
Hernandez

have all been worse under Moyes. Only Evra and De Gea have been better than last year (and thats a lot to do with the fact Evra was so bad last year and De Gea is getting more chances to show his ability). Rooney and Welbeck have been very similar to previous. Fellaini has been terrible and Mata hasn't done much of note.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 am

sirfredperry wrote:Ent - big question is, will Man Untd go into the sort of 24-yr decline that Liverpool have just experienced. OK, "decline" is relative, and Liverpool have remained a big club, Champions League regulars and winners, and often a top four side.
 But Untd now face a future in which a rejuvenated Liverpool (and possibly Everton) could mean even getting 4th in the Premiership is a struggle and without Ch League football, the better players may not gravitate to Old Trafford.  

I think we will and I expect it.

Great managers only come along so often, we've had 2 and had sustained success. Liverpool had 2 back to back and had huge success. Arsenal had 1 and had a period of success, same with Chelsea.

We should be able to get into the CL, we have the 3rd biggest budget so even an average manager should be able to get us to finish 4th regularly.

Liverpool I expect to fade away again, could be wrong but I feel this is an anomalous season for them.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:17 am

perhaps i may be over confident from being a united fan for so many years under fergie but are people really suggesting everton will be able to mount more of a challenge for a top four spot? we still have a better squad than them, arsenal and spurs. we simply have just massively under achieved this season

many fans all the time have always used the united in decline and fergie proved you wrong time and time again. it will be tougher without fergie but i fully expect to be in top 4 next season with the squad available for the next manager

papering over cracks is rubbish, if fergie was still in charge we would have won the title this season

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:21 am

I don't know if we would have won (would have depended on his signings) but we certainly would have challenged.

No club stays dominant for ever, there are cycles and they can co-incide with managers.

Post Fergie I didn't expect the same levels of success, but I didn't expect to drop out of the top 3.

We made a huge mistake and a huge mess with Moyes and I think it has significantly set the club back. It will take years to undo this mess.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

How do you know that?
Too many over the hill and poor players to sustain the success of yesteryear.

"We"  Laugh 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 am

One or two interesting posts about Untd fans who are young enough to have known nothing but success and now, possibly, having to contemplate some time without titles.
Well, join the rest of us. Take Rochdale, for example, a club which has had, I think, more years in the Football League's bottom division than any other. At least they look like getting up to League One for next season and good luck to their long-suffering fans.
Someone once said that to follow a football club is to have a pretty-much permanent feeling of acute disappointment. Man U followers - welcome to the real world.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am

sirfredperry wrote:One or two interesting posts about Untd fans who are young enough to have known nothing but success and now, possibly, having to contemplate some time without titles.
  Well, join the rest of us. Take Rochdale, for example, a club which has had, I think, more years in the Football League's bottom division than any other. At least they look like getting up to League One for next season and good luck to their long-suffering fans.
  Someone once said that to follow a football club is to have a pretty-much permanent feeling of acute disappointment. Man U followers - welcome to the real world.

It isn't about time without titles, it is about maximising your achievements when you have the opportunity. For some clubs thats titles, for some thats avoiding relegation out of the football league.

If over the next few years we have a decline in quality of the squad and a non-elite manager, no one is going to expect trophies.

However, currently we have a league winning squad, £65 millions worth of player additions and the 3rd biggest budget in the country. A good manager should be able to keep us challenging for trophies.

You use Rochdale as an example, do you think their fans would be happy being relegated from the league and conference? No of course not. It is all relative based on the size of the club and budgets.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 am

Could see Man United being another Arsenal.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 am

Ent wrote:I don't know if we would have won (would have depended on his signings) but we certainly would have challenged.

No club stays dominant for ever, there are cycles and they can co-incide with managers.

Post Fergie I didn't expect the same levels of success, but I didn't expect to drop out of the top 3.

We made a huge mistake and a huge mess with Moyes and I think it has significantly set the club back. It will take years to undo this mess.

i agree on the mistake but im not too sure on us being such a mess. moyes tactics or should i say lack of was a massive factor in us being so awful this season. new manager who can actually implement some decent training and i'll think we'll see that these players who have won title after title are suddenly not as bad as people think

no european football next season we can concentrate purely on the league

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 am

The whole backroom staff that Fergie spent years setting up was gutted and a few players are likely to be leaving this summer.

He hasn't brought on any of our younger players, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Cleverly have been badly damaged by this year and are playing extremely poorly. We've no defenders (Evans aside) at a good age who can be relied on.

The clubs a mess.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 am

Hands off Nigel Pearson!!!  Very Happy 

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
Ent wrote:I don't know if we would have won (would have depended on his signings) but we certainly would have challenged.

i agree on the mistake but im not too sure on us being such a mess. moyes tactics or should i say lack of was a massive factor in us being so awful this season. new manager who can actually implement some decent training and i'll think we'll see that these players who have won title after title are suddenly not as bad as people think

no european football next season we can concentrate purely on the league
Well, it's worked for us at Liverpool....the new manager will have his hands full getting the players into the right frame of mind though. There are a few lads in a Utd shirt who need and arm round the shoulder not a kick up the bum so they need to choose wisely...this time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm

You do like to exaggerate Ent, it's one bad season for gods sake.

Personally think we need to bring Meulensteen and some of the other back room staff back, that was the biggest mistake Moyes made.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You do like to exaggerate Ent, it's one bad season for gods sake.

Personally think we need to bring Meulensteen and some of the other back room staff back, that was the biggest mistake Moyes made.

What happened to the staff that worked under Fergie?
Will they come back? And if they do come back.....will that mean Phil Neville leaving?

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down