The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers*

+9
guildfordbat
alfie
westisbest
Mind the windows Tino.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Fourth Lion
MtotheC
Nakatomi Plaza
Fernando
13 posters

Go down

Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers* Empty Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers*

Post by Fernando Fri 18 Apr 2014 - 8:58

Keep seeing adverts for this at 9pm Sunday on Channel 4 and has been well received in America after debuting there midweek.

"Fargo" is the small-screen adaption of Coen brothers' movie of the same name. The television adaption features new characters and follows an all-new "true" crime case.

Noah Hawley has written all the ten episodes. He said to HuffPost TV that his "Fargo" for FX is "a completely different story with all new characters that merely borrows the setting and the mood of the Coen brothers' classic."

The ten episode dark comedy series stars Bill Thornton, Martin Freeman, Colin Hanks, Allison Tolman and Bob Odenkirk.

Martin Freeman plays Lester Nygaard, a small town insurance salesman. He said to Huffington Post that FX series is different, with new characters. "Same world, of course, using that as a jumping off point."

Bill Thornton portrays the role of Lorne Malvo, "a rootless, manipulative man" who meets Freeman's character and changes his life forever, according to the synopsis of the series. Thornton said to Huffington Post, "My character's a brand new guy, I just wanted it to be completely its own thing."

Colin Hanks plays Gus Grimly, Duluth Police Deputy. Grimly is a single dad who gets two options when he comes face-to-face with a killer -- pick his personal safety or pick his duty as a policeman. The actor said to Huffington Post that in the first episode his first scene "isn't until the 40th minute of the show."

Allison Tolman plays Molly Solverson, an ambitious Bemidji deputy, while "Breaking Bad's Bob Odenkirk plays the bungling deputy, Bill Oswalt.

Talking about her character, Tolman said to Huffington Post, "She's sort of a young, ambitious deputy in this little small town, sort of surrounded by, not just by men, but kind of inept men."

Last edited by Fernando on Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 21:41; edited 1 time in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers* Empty Re: Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers*

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri 18 Apr 2014 - 18:18

I'm looking forward to this, as the trailers look pretty decent. Struggled with the film to be honest.

Also seen that Glenn Howerton from It's always sunny in Philadelphia's got a bit part in this as well

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers* Empty Re: Fargo - Anyone else looking forward to this? *contains Spoilers*

Post by MtotheC Sat 19 Apr 2014 - 19:59

I've heard a couple of interviews with Martin Freeman about this show and it's sound very good I will deffinatley be giving it a watch, American critics have said it has a very braking bad feel to it.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 20 Apr 2014 - 10:35

I'm interested, but wonder how they are going to fill ten episodes and maintain the pace of the story.

I get that sinking feeling that this is going to be one of those series that plods along with a lot of filler material that doesn't really contribute to the story but does fill a lot of airtime between commercial breaks. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

As for the actors. Well, who is going to do a better job than Frances McDormand, William H Macy or Steve Buscemi..?

As much as I would like it to be enjoyable, I'm sceptical from the outset. Perhaps the Coen Brothers original is just TOO tough an act to follow.

I'll try to watch it with an open mind, but fear it will fall short of expectation.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 21 Apr 2014 - 22:27

Excellent this was last night. Billy Bob really plays the part well and I was surprised how good Freeman was also.

Really enjoyed it.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 22 Apr 2014 - 20:36

Watched this again last night as I was pretty rough from the Saturday and forgot a lot of it.

First episode has me hooked already.

The only thing this series has to do with the movie is the name "Fargo". Freeman's character "Lester" is the only relateable character from the movie if we are splitting hairs but Billy Bob Thornton completely stole the show. Every scene he is in he makes it so dark. From the hospital scene when Lester is seeing to his broken nose and tells him about the bully. Thornton has that dead look about him which is really fantastic to watch.

Best part was when the cop stops Thornton in his car and gets completely spooked by the ramblings that Billy Bob comes out with...

"Some maps used to say there were dragons down some roads, but just because the dragons aren't on the maps anymore doesn't mean they aren't still there"

"I'm gonna roll up my window and drive off. You are going to go home to your daughter and every day you are going to look her in the face and remember that the only reason that you're alive is because you decided not to go down a certain road. You chose to go to the light, rather than into the darkness".

Excellent show and really can't wait for the next episode.

Glad its not like the film and they really have created a gem here I think.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Apr 2014 - 21:03

Cracking show, really enjoyed it.

Thornton is superb.

Looking forward to the rest of this show.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Apr 2014 - 21:07

DAVE667 wrote:Cracking show, really enjoyed it.

Thornton is superb.

Looking forward to the rest of this show.

Yep, same here. I thought it was brilliant. Loads of black humour, particularly from Thornton, but menacing enough to keep the interest going. My bar is set pretty high following the awesome True Detective, but this looks like filling the void.

Hard to watch Martin Freeman without seeing Tim Canterbury, but that is not a criticism of Freeman, more a compliment to how good Tim was.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Apr 2014 - 21:21

Wasn't blown away by True Detective tbh...preferred the first season of Hannibal but as a fan of the Coen Bros I was interested to see how this adaptation of Fargo would play out. Don't know to what degree they're involved with it though ("Executive Producer" generally means someone gave you a cheque for $200,000 and said "Don't interfere too much")

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 22 Apr 2014 - 21:24

DAVE667 wrote:Wasn't blown away by True Detective tbh...preferred the first season of Hannibal but as a fan of the Coen Bros I was interested to see how this adaptation of Fargo would play out. Don't know to what degree they're involved with it though ("Executive Producer" generally means someone gave you a cheque for $200,000 and said "Don't interfere too much")

I loved Hannibal as well, although it started to take itself a little too seriously on occasions. Cracking show though and comes back on May 6th I believe.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 20:34

Watched it last night.

Pretty good.

Thought Freeman was excellent.
BBT was also good in it.

Looking forward to see where this is going.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 21:40

Can this thread have **MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS** added to the title?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 23 Apr 2014 - 22:01

Cheers Fernando!

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 2 May 2014 - 20:39

This started here last night with the first two episodes. Wife "retired bored" after about twenty minutes but I quite enjoyed it.
Suppose you could say it lifted a lot from the film : Lester is essentially the same character Macey played just selling insurance instead of cars...and a few familiar scenes in the snow...not that this detracts from it as a story. Billy Bob had something in common with the killer from No Country for Old Men I thought , with his scene with the policeman who pulled him over the highlight of the show so far...wonderful understated air of menace and no wonder the cop ended up backing off.
The deaf mute hit man was a nice touch too. Bodies are certainly piling up !

Whether the setting and the quirky characters will be enough to sustain interest for a full TV series remains to be seen. But it has me in for now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 2 May 2014 - 21:32

I also watched the first two episodes earlier this week. I appear to be one of the very few who hasn't seen the film - that probably helped in that I had no particular preconceptions or expectations.

Anyway, really enjoyed it. Good acting (Freeman a lot better than I expected), fascinating characters and a story line that is certainly bubbling along. Whether this can all be maintained over ten episodes remains to be seen but - like Alfie - I'm certainly hooked for now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 2 May 2014 - 21:39

I never saw the film.

Am enjoying the series.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 3 May 2014 - 22:46

Did anyone notice that Fargo "called Saul"!!??
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 12 May 2014 - 19:51

That was a brilliant episode last night! William Robert Thornton's character is priceless  Laugh 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 May 2014 - 20:57

Bit of a filler episode last night, but I'm still gripped.

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 27 May 2014 - 0:24

Malvo is establishing himself as one of the baddest characters on TV.

Malevolence
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 May 2014 - 2:47

Yeah, explosive episode last night. Very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 27 May 2014 - 5:12

Malvo's already a classic anti-hero. Can't help but root for him. At the same time, I hope Molly's survived, as I'm not sure the series will be the same without her.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Tue 27 May 2014 - 11:28

I have seen the film but can't remember anything about it except what we've seen in the first episode but during every episode i keep getting a sense of deja vu.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 9 Jun 2014 - 20:33

Not sure I enjoyed the direction this went last night.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 9 Jun 2014 - 21:37

If you want to watch the Epson earlier just Dl them on Wednesday.

I have enjoyed this series. And the direction of the last episode.

But if you want a truer fargo(film) fix check out happy valley

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 0:31

Interest in this rather dropped off ?

Must say I was a little disappointed with the ending. In fact I thought it had lost its way a bit earlier , so am not too surprised that some may have tuned out...

Had its moments though. Probably more notable for portraying a memorably menacing character than from actually making much sense as a story.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 0:48

Yeah the writing got stupid- still a solid show though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 3:14

The 1 year later 9th episode i didn't like.
The last episode was a bit meh too.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 8:45

Yeah, soon as it went one year later, it nosedived.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Mon 28 Jul 2014 - 21:25

Slightly behind as I've still yet to watch the final episode of the season but have thoroughly enjoyed this season on the whole. Although the '1 Year Later' thing wasn't really necessary and slightly off putting plus the fact that Melvo can create a brand new life in just between 6-12 Months was very confusing but apart from that, how they both reunite and how the episode pans out was one of my favorites of the season so far....

In other news, it looks like Fargo has been commissioned and will be returning for a second season!!!

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 Jul 2014 - 21:50

Yep completely new cast- i think it will be set 20 years earlier

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jul 2014 - 0:00

The term "milking it" comes to mind...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 Jul 2014 - 0:05

For an american show this isn't even touching the surface!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down