The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa Nadal French Open 2011

2 posters

Go down

Rafa Nadal French Open 2011 Empty Rafa Nadal French Open 2011

Post by legendkillar Sun 22 May 2011, 9:58 am

Hi Rafa Lites

Nadal will be going into this French Open with slight doubts over his current form on clay with the emergence of Djokovic's form in 2011. I was wondering if you guys think that his mindset may be slightly fragile? His form in 2010 on clay was outstanding. Would you as Toni Nadal suggest or try to make any changes to Rafa's game going into this years French Open?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Rafa Nadal French Open 2011 Empty Re: Rafa Nadal French Open 2011

Post by AFCWomble42 Sun 22 May 2011, 10:08 pm

Legend, I thought Rafa was outstanding at MC in 2010, but the next really outstanding match he played was against Soderling in the RG final. There were reasons for throwing the kitchin sink at MC as he hadn't won a tournament in 11 months, but after that he generally did what he had to do. Even then, there were a couple of close shaves, particularly against Gulbis in the Rome SF.

I don't think any of us have thought Rafa has played anywhere near his best on clay this year, but it's been enough to beat everyone else but Novak. He was definitely 2nd best in both Madrid and Rome, but even then he had chances.

I guess what we don't know (and probably won't know until well into next week) is how much everyone has geared their preparations to RG. Was the Rome final the best standard Rafa can play this year on clay ? If it is, he will almost certainly not be the 2011 French Open champion. If he can play like he did in the 2nd week of the 2008 tournament, I think he can be. I'm taking some comfort from what Rafa did in Toronto and Cincy in 2010 vs what he then went onto do at the USO.

Whether there is more in the locker or not, Rafa has a hard draw and needs to focus one match at a time, which I'm sure he will. There is absolutely no point in worrying about tactics against Novak in the final, if you've lost to John Isner in the 1st round.

AFCWomble42

Back to top Go down